The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old August 21, 2009, 08:48   #1
gsmart
Registered

FALaholic #: 904
RANT ON! Non-USPS Money Orders

I am boiling mad and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!!!!

I recently ran an ad for a bunch of things, one of which was a Turk mauser action. In my ad I CLEARLY stated that I required payment by Postal Service Money Order or Paypal. This guy posts an "I'll Take It" last thursday and follows up with PM's that he is sending the payment, FFL,etc. asap, yada,yada,yada...

I finally recieve the payment YESTERDAY and what do I find in the note but a MoneyGram money order! I do not bank locally, so running down to the bank and depositing this is not an option, so I proceed to make some phone calls. Basically, I cannot cash this sucker ANYWHERE in this town, other than one of the local check cashing loan sharks, who will charge me over $5 to cash an $85 item. There are DOZENS of places that SELL them, but none of these "Authorized Service Centers" will cash one.

Basically, this thing is not worth the paper its printed on.

Buyers who do this should be Waterboarded......

gsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 09:11   #2
flopshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 21389
given all you wrote the potential for forgery is not something to ignore either.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:30   #3
Bigger_Is_Better
Registered

FALaholic #: 4906
Send it back to him. Let him figure out where to cash it.

Aaron
Old August 21, 2009, 10:43   #4
mitchellh
Registered

FALaholic #: 16852
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigger_Is_Better
Send it back to him. Let him figure out where to cash it.

Aaron
This
Old August 21, 2009, 10:44   #5
Para Driver

FALaholic #: 6350
Moneygram is an upright company, I sold them the machines that print those cheques. You can just mail it to your bank, and deposit it that way. In my area, the PO won't cash their own cheques either.
Para Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 11:09   #6
gsmart
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Para Driver
Moneygram is an upright company, I sold them the machines that print those cheques. You can just mail it to your bank, and deposit it that way. In my area, the PO won't cash their own cheques either.
The point is, I specifically stated Postal Money Order so that I wouldnt HAVE to go through this hassle.

I dont like mailing Money Orders anyway, if the USPS loses it, you are screwed and the only way to KEEP them from losing it is sending it certified, which is both expensive AND a hassle.

The USPS here gives you absolutely NO trouble about cashing a USPS MO. I even cashed one that was $500 once and they didnt bat an eye.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:31   #7
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I personally HATE dealing with the Usps, either getting or receiving a money order. I cannot deposit them in an ATM, and they open too late in the morning and close too early at night for me, and then I don't like what I see inside, and the service they provide. I'll be darned if I mess up a Saturday to go there. Been using Ebill from BOA, I can send a check in 3 minutes right from my computer, and it does not cost me or the receiver a penny, not even postage.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 12:06   #8
Blaster
Registered

FALaholic #: 11913
Well, I'm one of the guys who uses only the WalMart Money Orders (Moneygram) for all of my purchases over the internet. I ALWAYS clear it with the seller first before using that method of payment and I am a firm believer of PROMPT payment being sent. For me to get a USPS M.O. it means a special trip to town, standing in line to buy the damn thing and then some folks just might experience trouble cashing them without having to wait for the Postal folks to assemble the proper amount of money. I have yet to have any seller refuse to take my WalMart M.O.'s and have never got any feedback advising of a problem cashing them. Life goes on.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 13:27   #9
English Mike
Registered

FALaholic #: 11339
Quote:
Originally posted by Blaster
Well, I'm one of the guys who uses only the WalMart Money Orders (Moneygram) for all of my purchases over the internet. I ALWAYS clear it with the seller first before using that method of payment and I am a firm believer of PROMPT payment being sent. For me to get a USPS M.O. it means a special trip to town, standing in line to buy the damn thing and then some folks just might experience trouble cashing them without having to wait for the Postal folks to assemble the proper amount of money. I have yet to have any seller refuse to take my WalMart M.O.'s and have never got any feedback advising of a problem cashing them. Life goes on.
U onley do that Bcoz Walmart pays your trolley Police salary with them.

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common: They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.
English Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 13:30   #10
ostrobothnian
Rest in Peace
May 23, 2011

FALaholic #: 21545
USPS

I only use USPS money orders. They have never failed.

Paypal sucks.

Visualize whirled peas
ostrobothnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 14:21   #11
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
I only use USPS money orders. I use the money order to mail the package. That way the receipt has proof of shipment and cashing of the money order on the same receipt. Nice way to keep track of it.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 15:04   #12
Blaster
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE

OK Mikey, now make that statement in proper english (U.S.A. type) so I can understand what the hel- you are attempting to convey.
Old August 21, 2009, 15:34   #13
StG58Freak
banned
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21043
I only use USPS Money Orders and have never had 1 problem after hundreds of transactions. When i sell something in the Market Place i also state that i ONLY accept USPS M.O.

When i PM a customer my mailing address i always state again in the PM
" send your USPS M.O. too : "

If someone ever sent another type of M.O. to me i'd just mail it right back to them with a note to send ONLY USPS M.O.
StG58Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 16:28   #14
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
I only use USPS MO if the buyer states that is all he wants. It is a 24 mile RT to the post office. I do not even try and cash them anymore as the PO is always out of cash it seems.

I do feel for someone that specified USPS but in my case it is just the opposite. And when that is all someone will take I have to plan because it is an hour trip across town and back to get one.
jerrymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 16:57   #15
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Yeah, its annoying.

That is one reason why I always make sure I have a phone number for any buyers.

If they send me the wrong form of payment, they are very likely to get a call from me. I have been known to tell those folks they can send me a proper payment, or they can wait until my bank statement arrives after I deposit their money order drawn on the Bank of Bumfuk.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 16:59   #16
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Generally a USPS money order should speed up the process. The seller can go cash them at the same time they ship the item sold. On the other hand I've been to the PO many times to cash a PMO and they didn't have enough funds on hand! If I got a money order other than specified, I would give the buyer 2 choices, 1. I could send it back, or 2. I'll deposit it and wait for however long it takes to find out if its good.

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 17:05   #17
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Hang onto whatever you're selling until you can get it cashed w/o a service charge, IMO. The inconveneience you experience should get passed on.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009, 17:06   #18
WJ-Polish Guy
Polak 210
Contributor

FALaholic #: 137
Take the money and stop whining.

I had a guy here who bought item from me with clear USPS MO request. Sent me some Mickey Mouse Money Order my bank want to keep before it clears.
I kept the item till then. Guy was pissed, demanded refund etc. Oh well... I take yer money

Czapayev
WJ-Polish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 06:22   #19
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have accepted all forms of money orders from Walmart to Money Gram to Western Union, USPS and all sorts of bank and credit union MO's. None have ever failed me. All are deposited. I live in a small town where everything is close and genereally not crowded. The problem with the PO is that they generally do not have enough cash to pay out a MO over $100.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 07:16   #20
JohnnyReb
Registered

FALaholic #: 12093
I recently sent a filer cash ($13) instead of a pmo and haven't heard from him since. Do you think that was an issue?
Old August 22, 2009, 08:07   #21
Radio
Registered

FALaholic #: 263
I TOLD you to send me a USPS MO. Now nobody knows what happened to your $13, but by sheer coincidence I did enjoy one of those new Outback specials for --shazaam-- just about $13. Haha, and you can't prove you sent it to me either.

"You seem to fantasize about me a lot. Maybe you should tell your boyfriend? He could dress up like me or something." --K.O.A.M., November 9th, 2009

"You're better off hoping she don't miss, it's quicker that way." --ce, December 15, 2009
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 09:09   #22
gsmart
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by K. Funk
I have accepted all forms of money orders from Walmart to Money Gram to Western Union, USPS and all sorts of bank and credit union MO's. None have ever failed me. All are deposited. I live in a small town where everything is close and genereally not crowded. The problem with the PO is that they generally do not have enough cash to pay out a MO over $100.

krf
See, I guess I am lucky, but I have never had the out of cash problem.
Old August 22, 2009, 09:18   #23
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
I envy you'se guys who have a PO within 30 miles. Some people don't, ya know.

Still, I agree buyers should meet the terms of the sale unless they've made specific arrangements. Otherwise they wait quietly. Everybody should make an effort to understand that YOUR situation isn't universal, and everyone operates under differing circumstances. Give people a little slack(when you can).

RUE?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 09:41   #24
newfalguy101
Registered

FALaholic #: 6260
Quote:
Originally posted by K. Funk
I have accepted all forms of money orders from Walmart to Money Gram to Western Union, USPS and all sorts of bank and credit union MO's. None have ever failed me. All are deposited.
Same here, I have gotten all sorts of payments and deposited every one of them, including a counter check a guy sent me.

He waited patiently for his check to clear before I shipped his goodies.

01 FFL
Transfers $20
orders actual dealer + $50
Clay Center, NE
newfalguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 11:28   #25
slakline
Registered

FALaholic #: 9729
Why don't you bank locally ?

It seems like it would be a great time and money saver ...

$5 to cash a $85 Moneygram seems reasonable when compared to the cost of driving a great distance to your non local bank and your time to do so.

However, I do agree the buyer should abide by your payment terms because we all have reasons we do what we do...

I know this is a bit of Hijack but....those who still use PayPal , you're hypocrites if you say you believe in the 2nd amendment.

I really , really get when a someone selling firearms related says " I only take PayPal !!" WTF...whose side are you on?

2 things I absolutely I find Un-American is using PayPal and shopping at Post Sam Walton ChinaMarts....

slakline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 11:42   #26
Blaster
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by slakline
I absolutely I find Un-American is shopping at Post Sam Walton ChinaMarts....

Here too slakline, but some us living out in the boonies have to either buy at the local WalMart or make a drive of 90+ miles each way to shop for stuff at other than our local WalMart. Everyone's situation is a little different and some of us have little choice of where we go to buy a lot of different merchandise/stuff.
UnAmerican or not, I'm not going to make a 180 mile round trip just to prove a point that I refuse to patronize WalMart.
Old August 22, 2009, 11:48   #27
Blaster
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE

"OK Mikey, now make that statement in proper english (U.S.A. type) so I can understand what the hel- you are attempting to convey."

NO RESPONSE SO I'LL TRY IT AGAIN. HOWZ ABOUT IT MIKEY???
Old August 22, 2009, 13:25   #28
Mangi One
Registered

FALaholic #: 1130
Silver and Gold? Cash if less that a hundred too much trouble to retrieve money from a lost USPS MO. Lost only one package in twenty five years at the same post office.
Old August 22, 2009, 15:29   #29
gsmart
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by 308bolt
[counter rant] In order to get a USPS money order in the area where I live I have a choice of going to a post office in the middle of a tourist trap town and waiting in line for a minimum of an hour or driving a half-hour to a small town post office.

If I can't use a credit card, paypal, personal check or purchase ftf for cash, I don't even bother anymore.

The last time I jumped through the hoops and sent a postal MO I sent it registered mail in order to be sure it got where it was going.
The tard refused to sign for it (probably thought it was a bill) even though I told him I'd sent it that way.
After a conversation he said oopsie send it again.
I did and low and behold after only 5 weeks from the initial contact I actually received what I purchased.

Never again.
The discounts aren't deep enough, the parts aren't rare enough to warrant all the bullshit it takes to purchase them.

If you're going to play at being a vendor, make it convenient for your customers to make purchases. [/counter rant]

I actually DID offer Paypal as an option, so I was not being unreasonable OR inconvenient IMHO.
Old August 22, 2009, 16:12   #30
capt ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17663
USPS money orders

i started taking USPS money orders only several years ago when selling over the internet. when i go to the post office i cash them ( they can verify right then if they are good) and then i ship the order. i go in the afternoon when they ( postal clerks) have enough cash to cash them.
i have not had a bad USPS money order yet.

i have had several people send me other kinds of payments and i just send them back and remind them that payment is by USPS money order only. a few have gotten hostile over it, but most just send the USPS money order.

i don't use paypay because of there anti-gun policy. why would anyone support an anti-gun group or company?

if you cannot do as the seller wishes, then do both of you a favor and don't buy the item.

ron
capt ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009, 16:52   #31
Blaster
Registered

Re: USPS money orders

Quote:
Originally posted by capt ron

if you cannot do as the seller wishes, then do both of you a favor and don't buy the item.

ron
I agree and if the seller can't allow a little slack, then the buyer should just not buy the item/s. Works both ways IMHO.
Old August 22, 2009, 17:17   #32
gsmart
Registered

One good rant deserves another!

Cheers, mate!