View Single Post
Old June 16, 2019, 13:40   #32
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Something to consider, if anyone plans on building more AR rifles in the future, it doesn't hurt to stash away extra upper receivers.

Uncle Sam doesn't shim barrels. If you cannot properly time the barrel, you try a different receiver (or vice versa).

I apply the same mindset to personal builds. Whenever I come across a decent deal on an upper receiver (or complete upper for that matter), I'll snag it up (I can always sell parts and get my $$$ back if necessary). If I end up in a situation like the OP, and feel that an unreasonable amount of torque is needed to time the barrel nut, I will set that receiver aside and use another.
Yup...

In addition, there are other good reasons for having some extra uppers taking up space on shelves (or wherever).

For example, about six months back I received (yet another) complete upper from PSA. By itself, that's not particularly notable since, as mentioned above, I also pick them up when the deals are good (and, recently, the deals have been very good, if you catch my drift).

I tend to do the same thing with stripped lowers (and Andersons have been in the $35-40 range for quite a while now (and currently the PSA ones are $29.99 (must not buy... Must not buy... )).

Anywho, back to my point...

When I slapped the PSA complete upper on one of the Anderson lowers I put together for it, mags would not latch in the lower. If I beat an old aluminum one in hard enough, it would finally catch. Then again, the mags would latch just fine in the lower with the upper not on...

The upper, which looked very nice, was finished on an Anchor Harvey forging. However, it was slightly off, dimensionally. Because of this, the mag would not insert quite far enough into the upper (when the upper and lower were assembled) to catch well and, on top of this, even if you beat the mag in enough to catch, the bolt would not pick up rounds out of the magazine.

Bummer, dude...

Of course, what I did was just pull the upper apart and swap in another upper (of the several laying around, just in case). Voila, problem solved...

I called PSA to let them know of the problem and asked if they'd just swap me a new stripped upper for the original one, and they said that they'd need to get the entire upper back. Of course, that meant that I'd have to pull it apart again (now functioning just fine) and put it together on the out-of-spec upper it came with...

If I had pushed it up the pecking-order line at PSA, they would probably have sent me a stripped upper. But I like the guys there and felt no need to antagonize anyone, even at the 'lowest level.' They would have paid to ship the complete upper back to them and send me a new one if I had asked them to do that, with no problems at all...

And I do understand why they wanted the complete upper back too...

So it cost me $30 (for the replacement stripped upper that I had purchased a number of years ago and had laying around, waiting for something, finally having 'something' arrive) to fix the problem. Big deal... (and, for anyone thinking it should have been handled differently, you're free to do that...).

Without the 'extra' upper, it would have taken longer to fix...

Wait, I think that was my point in agreement with lockjaw here...

Shit, I'm beginning to feel like huey...

I'll end now...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote