View Single Post
Old October 18, 2019, 21:02   #71
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Sorry dude, but as before (and which you have now admitted) you are wrong again. The front door is WIDE open as you can see in the video.

I am NOT saying this officer did the right thing in shooting this woman. I am also a firearms instructor and use of force investigator, qualified to investigate police use of force and specifically officer involved shootings. I used this video this morning while training 12 cadets in our academy firearms program.

The lead instructor and I covered several points:

1. Yes, they were sent on an open structure call rather than a simple welfare check. Dispatch assigns the type of call for the officer rather than the caller; caller said door was open, wanted a check on the occupant. Dispatch says its an open structure. This does add stress to the call.

2. Arrive on scene with back up and check the front door which is open. Look inside; has the door been forced open or kicked in? If not, are there any signs of the house being burgled? If not, can you hear anything disturbing like screams, crying or similar? If not, can you see any blood or anything that might indicate something is amiss? If ANYTHING like the above is present, 2 cops ain't enough to secure the residence. You need to call for backup then wait for them. Once they are present, send units to the back and make an announcement at the front door. Homeowner shows up, explain what happened and move on. If in doubt, SLOW down.

3. Once you have worked through above checklist and haven't seen, heard or discovered anything untoward, you work through the list of other possibilities; wind blew the door open, occupant is looking for dog, cat got out, homeowner is hot, letting cool air in and so on. Then you knock and announce who you are. Homeowner comes to door, all is well.

4. Officer didn't go there intending to kill anyone. He went there to help his community and do the right thing. He FAILED. He made a mistake, a deadly, horrible, terrible and tragic mistake but it wasn't murder. Murder requires mens rea or the "guilty mind" or the premeditated determination to take another person's life. That's NOT what happened.

5. It is clear he is startled, out of control and unable to cope under stress. He is what is commonly referred to as a "fear biter" in the dog and Reality Based Training (RBT) world.

I run the RBT program for my agency and think it is the most valuable tool, nay, predictor of future performance of cops under stress. In RBT, we attempt to put officers and deputies under stress by placing them in situations where they are forced to make decisions which may be life threatening within a compressed time frame. We use role players to simulate real life scenarios that place the cadets and officers under pressure. Some scenarios use air soft or marking cartridge rounds (often called by the generic name of Simunitions) to stress them to the point of using deadly force but not all do. Of course, the cops are always armed but not every scenario requires them to use deadly force.

I am dedicated to RBT because unlike any other kind of training, it most accurately simulates situations cops can find themselves in and with the addition of the threat of being "shot," it builds pressure like no other training can. If the cadet/officer folds under this kind of pressure, they will invariably do so on the street. I am working to have a couple of fairly simple RBT scenarios built into the testing/hiring process for my agency. Hopefully, I will get my way and we will eliminate potential fear biters from being hired. I can train anyone to write citations do lots of other shit cops do but when circumstances like this arise, I need people who aren't fear biters.

The other advantage of RBT is it allows cops to make mistakes in training, be given the chance to fix it and replay the scenario with the correct outcome. This way, they have a frame of reference should they run into something similar in the future. This cop clearly had no frame of reference; he saw someone pointing a gun at him, gave them a command but no time to react to it and acted out of fear. I seriously doubt he had been through a good, realistic RBT program at any time. He is probably going to go to jail but what he did wasn't murder. Was he negligent? Yep but not premeditated and that's the difference.

Sorry for the wall of text, I didn't intend to go all Huey on you guys but some stuff is complicated and requires more than a couple of sound bites.
Look Ironman, you are not no SuperHero
some asshat calling on an open door on a home across the street really don't run up into major Threat management situation does it where some moron stalks the perimeter, ready killer within the curtilage of the residence

You and I know you don't do that bullshit
Gal had a legal firearm, was aware of the stalking outside the home and was shot dead by some idiot window peeping pigger
Legally he's toasted, he violated a ton of shit G
but yeah he went home at the end of shift didn't he

Are you actually stating it's all okay for piggers to play peeping tom, that if they then see an armed homeowner to then shoot them dead ?

this isn't Belfast Asshat
keep at this though it likely becomes such a shitty thing with many more dead piggers
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote