The FAL Files

The FAL Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Who made this? (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448912)

Eld_Fen January 18, 2020 15:48

Who made this?

I came across this receiver and cant figure out who made it...any ideas? I know almost nothing about the inch pattern rifles...

http://imgur.com/gallery/4zKZfQh

Andy the Aussie January 18, 2020 16:04

None of the markings are from the manufacturer and look to have been done to (badly) replicate a Commonwealth Pattern Rifle ("BSA" with an Australian style Serial Number). I do recall seeing another pictured on here with those HUGE L1A1 stampings and such but can't now recall the determination of it.

Tattered January 18, 2020 16:10

I would avoid buying that rifle if I were you. There's no way of knowing what receiver manufacturer that is since the seller is only providing 4 pics, two of which are blurry distant pics. The receiver has also been force matched to an Aussie serial number/kit while claiming it's a BSA built rifle. It would be ideal if we could see the magwell area to see if the receiver is cut for Inch mags and has the correct lightening cuts. I doubt it is though since the seller is using a metric mag.

Eld_Fen January 18, 2020 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tattered (Post 4830579)
I would avoid buying that rifle if I were you. There's no way of knowing what receiver manufacturer that is since the seller is only providing 4 pics, two of which are blurry distant pics. The receiver has also been force matched to an Aussie serial number/kit while claiming it's a BSA built rifle. It would be ideal if we could see the magwell area to see if the receiver is cut for Inch mags and has the correct lightening cuts. I doubt it is though since the seller is using a metric mag.

I agree...I've just never seen one like that before. I would have posted the GB link but wasnt sure if that was allowed or not...

imacoonass01 January 18, 2020 16:33

A ARS reworked receiver?

308/223shooter January 18, 2020 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by imacoonass01 (Post 4830588)
A ARS reworked receiver?

I seriously doubt Mark would put out that type of shyte. That's one of the worst attempts I've seen of forging a commonwealth receiver.

jam762 January 18, 2020 17:27

Look at the hideous lightning cuts.

308/223shooter January 18, 2020 17:53

Not a $1,500.00 SLR.
Link to auction. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852913403

Abominog January 18, 2020 19:10

Thatís brutal.

Eld_Fen January 18, 2020 19:28

Being curious I asked for more pictures and he updated the listing...though it doesnt shed any more light on what it is

def90 January 19, 2020 00:19

Those receivers show up here every year or two and Iíll be damned that I canít remember the story behind them.

gunplumber January 19, 2020 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by imacoonass01 (Post 4830588)
A ARS reworked receiver?

Umm - no. While the radius cuts on my aussie cuts are still not the right bevel and not pleasing to me, that one is just fugly.

I'm guessing original receiver was imbel - was the original serial number removed? The diaganal cut on L side of mag well says it started as a type 3. But it also has a tick mark for barrel timing which I've never seen on an IMBEl or argy that started as a bare receiver and not a complete factory built rifle. I think that would make this a contraband receiver as it's serial number has been removed and replaced with a different one.

The oversize L1.A1.A were mad in AZ back in the early 90s by Fred Johnson, Ken elmore and the guy from MACVSOG

enbloc8 January 19, 2020 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunplumber (Post 4830812)
Umm - no. While the radius cuts on my aussie cuts are still not the right bevel and not pleasing to me, that one is just fugly.

I'm guessing original receiver was imbel - was the original serial number removed? The diaganal cut on L side of mag well says it started as a type 3. But it also has a tick mark for barrel timing which I've never seen on an IMBEl or argy that started as a bare receiver and not a complete factory built rifle. I think that would make this a contraband receiver as it's serial number has been removed and replaced with a different one.

The oversize L1.A1.A were mad in AZ back in the early 90s by Fred Johnson, Ken elmore and the guy from MACVSOG

Weren't some late FN receivers serialed on the right side, towards the rear? Right about where the inset was milled and the AD serial off the lower stamped?

garandguy10 January 19, 2020 12:56

Those marking are very similar to inch pattern rifles sold in Kalifornia back in the mid-late 90's by an outfit called SOG Sales (or something like that). I used to see them displayed at gun shows back then. I think SOG Sales was out of Southern California or Arizona. SOG used to have a lot of rifles on display and had a rather impressive amount of FAL/Inch pattern, M1 Garand/M1 Carbine and AR/AK parts for sale back then.

gunplumber January 19, 2020 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by garandguy10 (Post 4830906)
Those marking are very similar to inch pattern rifles sold in Kalifornia back in the mid-late 90's by an outfit called SOG Sales (or something like that). I used to see them displayed at gun shows back then. I think SOG Sales was out of Southern California or Arizona. SOG used to have a lot of rifles on display and had a rather impressive amount of FAL/Inch pattern, M1 Garand/M1 Carbine and AR/AK parts for sale back then.

Yes, SOG and MAC V SOG same guy.

He also had a lot of International Harvester? Garands with one digit of the serial number showing a discoloration in the Parkerizing. As would happen if the original number was tig welded and then re-engraved.

Parkerizing shows a change in color with differing steel hardness.

Coincidentally, the digit that would put it in the "correct" IH range.
He got really pissed at me when I asked him about it. He faked inspector cartouches on stocks too.

Both he and Ken Elmore were fckuing crooks. I've done a lot of repos, but I've never pretended they were originals.

gunplumber January 19, 2020 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by enbloc8 (Post 4830844)
Weren't some late FN receivers serialed on the right side, towards the rear? Right about where the inset was milled and the AD serial off the lower stamped?

Maybe? I don't know. I thought typical was for left side rear.