The FAL Files

The FAL Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry & Personal Defense (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   I “up gunned” today, 29/40 beats 13/9 (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451432)

Timber Wolf March 22, 2020 16:18

I “up gunned” today, 29/40 beats 13/9

My usual EDC is a Ruger LC9 in front pocket with a spare mag dropped in a rear pocket. I usually am not concerned, and feel my threat level is pretty low. But with all the current foolishness I decided I wanted more fire power. I dug out the Crossbreed Supertuck and put a .40 G23 Glock in it. I have a G22 magazine with a catch-tab thingie on the baseplate so it can hang on IWB or in a pocket. I felt better with 29 rounds of .40 on tap instead of 13 rounds of 9.

I had to go out to finish cleaning out a house I am selling and supposed to close on this Wednesday, if the virus allows.:uhoh: Decided to top off the gas tank in the truck and fill a couple of cans with $1.69 gas while out. Did not have to “gas” anybody at the filling station.:)

1911Ron March 22, 2020 17:03

I agree I switched to my Sig M11A1 in 9mm with a spare mag in a carrier.

0302 March 22, 2020 19:16

👍🏿👍🏿Time to put the pop guns away & gun up.

Bawana jim March 22, 2020 19:31

:biggrin: I have been loading 44 mag off and on all day today.

John Crusher March 22, 2020 22:12

I switched up from my SIG TT .45 to my SIG MK25 9mm.
8+1 X4 up to
20+1 x4
Stuck an AR pistol in the backseat, just 'cuz.

hkshooter March 22, 2020 22:18

I'll carry a spare fifteen rounds for my ccw. Don't normally do that. Still have the AR and 92F along for the ride.

longhair51 March 23, 2020 15:12

I'm carrying two spare 10 round spare mags instead of just one for my 1911 type Colt.

Story March 23, 2020 20:59

You ah all under-gunned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0joYngQKE

raubvogel March 24, 2020 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf (Post 4857509)
Did not have to “gas” anybody at the filling station.:)

In my book "gasing" somebody is aiming the gas pump handle at them, coating them with its contents, and then fetching the lighter. I am not going to say throwing a lit lighter will work but the psychological effect holding a light lighter on your hand might imply might have a tiny possibility of being somewhat effective as a deterrent.

No Alpacas were harmed in an event involving one or more individuals that might or might not have happened.

DC March 25, 2020 00:35

because by now anyone who has done any research knows there is next to no difference between 9/40/45 with modern ammo, unless you're drowning, more BB's are always better than fewer BBs.

Gunfighter45 March 26, 2020 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC (Post 4858971)
because by now anyone who has done any research knows there is next to no difference between 9/40/45 with modern ammo, unless you're drowning, more BB's are always better than fewer BBs.

I’m gonna have to disagree with ya on this one. I’ve done a bit of “personal conflict resolution research” and bigger is always better in my experience. I will say that most any handgun is a poor choice and should be used to fight your way to something better.

Hebrew Battle Rifle March 28, 2020 16:19

http://i.imgur.com/XGtMaTOl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Sp9ohMBl.jpg

Timber Wolf March 29, 2020 07:30

Whatcha trying to say there HBR?:)

Hebrew Battle Rifle March 29, 2020 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf (Post 4861245)
Whatcha trying to say there HBR?:)

They might get me, but they're going to have to earn it.:D

FALshot March 29, 2020 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC (Post 4858971)

I agree.

Although it's not very popular to state this, especially Online, with what I term, "The Ballistic Gelatin crowd."

Someone's liable to present you with a scenario of a 260 pound man who runs the 40 in 4.3 seconds charging you while high on rocket fuel,.....And you'll be sorry you didn't have more firepower. :rolleyes:

Timber Wolf March 29, 2020 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle (Post 4861276)

Been practicing mags changes have you?

Story March 31, 2020 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle (Post 4860995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlNTm7Tk_V8

jhend170 April 01, 2020 10:24

My "Up-gun" wakeup call was the Aurora shooting. Before that my daily carry was a small .380. Figured, based on the stat that most shooting were at less than 7 ft and an average of 5 rounds fired it would do what i needed it to. Aurora, with a guy with an AK and wearing body armor changed that. Daily carry now is a Sig P320 in .40, 14+1 in the gun and 2 more 14rd magazines on me, with a laser. I put myself in that theater, and realized that only head shots would have likely had an effect, and with offhand shots that may have to be made without a clear line of sight to my sights the laser was a no-brainer.

As to caliber... I chose the .40 because the 10mm is (sadly) not available in the P320, and because I have seen first-hand what the round is capable of. Was on a jury for a murder trial. Weapon used was a .40 with basic ball ammo (gang bangers aren't big on bullet tech, they buy what's cheap). Saw extremely graphic pics of the damage those did. On top of that I managed to take down 2 wild pigs with my defensive ammo at about 35 yds, and got to see what it would do up close. Between the 2 it convinced me that it is truly an effective round, and I believe superior to the 9mm in every way but capacity.

Like hunting rounds I look to energy as my primary effectiveness indicator, and in case after case the biggest jump is from 9mm to .40. .45 typically has a bit higher still, but not nearly as significant. Case in point, I primarily use CorBon as my defensive ammo, so I'll use them as my example. The 9mm +P is 115gr at 1350fps from 4" of barrel, with 466ft/lbs of energy. .40 +P is 135gr at 1325 with 526ft/lbs from a 4" barrel, and the .45 +P is 185gr at 1150fps and 543ft/lbs of energy, from a 5" barrel. I'm guessing that if that were from a 4" barrel it would actually be inferior to the .40, since the energy difference is a slim advantage as it is. So, the largest energy jump is from the 9 to the 40. I will tell you 2 rounds each (remember, in group shootings everyone gets 1 before any get 2, so no double-taps) of Pow'rBall at that 35yd distance put both pigs down with authority. They weren't DRT and both received coup-de-gras, but they were down. I was happy to get the opportunity to take the pigs and test my ammo. Win Win!

I'm sure there's better stuff out there, and the caliber games will go on until the solid projectile weapon is completely phased out, but for now I trust my life to it.

Hebrew Battle Rifle April 02, 2020 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Story (Post 4862253)

:D:fal:

The Pigpen April 02, 2020 04:32

I gave my LC9 to my daughter to give me an excuse to get a P365.

BiGB808 April 03, 2020 19:50

I carried an lc9 for about 4 years. One day shooting 2 mags worth of carry ammo on my bi monthly ccw shoot....LC9 broke after first round fired. Trigger felt like wet noodle..no resistance..just my dk swinging in the air.

Sure...anything mechanical can/will break. I was very disappointed. Ruger fixed it of course then scolded me for removing the god awful magazine disconnect which they put back in..and since removed.

That LC9 didnt have much more than 500 rounds.

It is now a safe queen. Moved over to G19 for everyday carry in Crossbreed super tuck with my own combat cut so you can actually get a full grip on first grab.

ftierson April 03, 2020 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle (Post 4861276)

:)

In the world we live in today, some might accuse you of price gouging in the cost to others of 'getting you.' :)

But not me...

Forrest

spider991 April 15, 2020 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhend170 (Post 4862983)
My "Up-gun" wakeup call was the Aurora shooting. Before that my daily carry was a small .380. Figured, based on the stat that most shooting were at less than 7 ft and an average of 5 rounds fired it would do what i needed it to. Aurora, with a guy with an AK and wearing body armor changed that. Daily carry now is a Sig P320 in .40, 14+1 in the gun and 2 more 14rd magazines on me, with a laser. I put myself in that theater, and realized that only head shots would have likely had an effect, and with offhand shots that may have to be made without a clear line of sight to my sights the laser was a no-brainer.

As to caliber... I chose the .40 because the 10mm is (sadly) not available in the P320, and because I have seen first-hand what the round is capable of. Was on a jury for a murder trial. Weapon used was a .40 with basic ball ammo (gang bangers aren't big on bullet tech, they buy what's cheap). Saw extremely graphic pics of the damage those did. On top of that I managed to take down 2 wild pigs with my defensive ammo at about 35 yds, and got to see what it would do up close. Between the 2 it convinced me that it is truly an effective round, and I believe superior to the 9mm in every way but capacity.

Like hunting rounds I look to energy as my primary effectiveness indicator, and in case after case the biggest jump is from 9mm to .40. .45 typically has a bit higher still, but not nearly as significant. Case in point, I primarily use CorBon as my defensive ammo, so I'll use them as my example. The 9mm +P is 115gr at 1350fps from 4" of barrel, with 466ft/lbs of energy. .40 +P is 135gr at 1325 with 526ft/lbs from a 4" barrel, and the .45 +P is 185gr at 1150fps and 543ft/lbs of energy, from a 5" barrel. I'm guessing that if that were from a 4" barrel it would actually be inferior to the .40, since the energy difference is a slim advantage as it is. So, the largest energy jump is from the 9 to the 40. I will tell you 2 rounds each (remember, in group shootings everyone gets 1 before any get 2, so no double-taps) of Pow'rBall at that 35yd distance put both pigs down with authority. They weren't DRT and both received coup-de-gras, but they were down. I was happy to get the opportunity to take the pigs and test my ammo. Win Win!

I'm sure there's better stuff out there, and the caliber games will go on until the solid projectile weapon is completely phased out, but for now I trust my life to it.

10mm in a sig P320 might be interesting....My edc is a Glock 20 loaded with underwood and a couple extra\mags,or my reloads depending on the day. not sure i can "up gun" unless i carry a long gun.. :bigangel:

douglas April 17, 2020 20:21

[QUOTE=Hebrew Battle Rifle;4860995]http://i.imgur.com/XGtMaTOl.jpg

I always wondered where all the USP .45 mags went. Now I know !
Guess that I am a slacker with only 5.

MACV April 19, 2020 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle (Post 4860995)

Do you plan on going thru all those mags before you finally pick up a rifle?
Just sayin

Timber Wolf April 19, 2020 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACV (Post 4872305)
Do you plan on going thru all those mags before you finally pick up a rifle?
Just sayin

His riFAL is way far away.:uhoh: