The FAL Files

The FAL Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The FN Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Steyr lower 99556 (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281513)

brunop February 02, 2010 08:54

Steyr lower 99556

Someone here bought a Steyr lower numbered 99556 about a year and a half ago - right off of our Marketplace. I'd pay more than market rate to get my hands on it. If it is part of a nicely refinished rifle, I'd pay for refinishing, too...

Peace.

brunop February 04, 2010 12:13

Friendly little reminder to check your StG lowers for me...

MBR29 February 04, 2010 15:28

WOW thats a needle and a stack of needles Good luck:D

jugrunner February 04, 2010 18:31

what would something like that be worth ... ? ... :wink:

brunop February 05, 2010 02:45

Quote:

Originally posted by MBR29
WOW thats a needle and a stack of needles Good luck:D
Weirder things have happened right here on this board. This stack of needles isn't that deep - someone here bought the lower, and they bought it from member 101ABN327 about a year and a half ago.

I just need the right guy to read this thread. And then I have to figure out how much that bad boy is worth to me. More than a normal lower - that's for sure. More than a lower plus refinishing. More than a lower, refinishing, and beer and/or a bottle of something good.

Jugrunner - you catching me here?

Ronnymi - I was thinking that a person could have done that, but I don't know why they would. You buy yours from 101ABN327 in OK?

Thanks for the read, guys. I'm crossing my fingers.

Peace.

brunop February 07, 2010 23:54

friendly little BUMP.

Won't you please look for my lower in your parts bin? Thanks a bunch.

mnhornet February 09, 2010 13:20

It's not in my safe. Good luck bump.

Hootsmon February 09, 2010 14:51

I don't have it either.

BUT, you did inspire me to look through all my parts and write down all the serial numbers. Now I have the lot on a piece of paper beside the 'pooter, I can refer to whenever this kind of thing comes up.

brunop February 12, 2010 21:15

Thanks for looking, men! I appreciate the time and the effort.

Friendly bump for the weekend.

Peace.

MistWolf February 13, 2010 01:28

I hope you're looking on the auction sites. Just a little while ago some feller was looking for a lower with a particular serial number. He found it on on one of the auction sites

brunop February 19, 2010 02:18

I wasn't, but I am now!

Thanks for the tip.

Peace.

mnhornet February 19, 2010 09:14

Checked, sorry.

brunop March 15, 2010 11:34

Hornet - thanks for looking!

Anybody else willing to check for that lonely lower that wants to come home? Steyr 99556 - and I'm paying well more than market price...

brunop May 07, 2011 01:18

Bump for a laugh or a miracle. Thought I'd do my once-a-year Pray For A Miracle. Tonight is that night.

If you have it, I'll pay more than it is worth, or I'll trade you a nice lower, pay for refinishing, and make it worth your while.

:angel:

Thanks.

bp77 October 06, 2011 01:13

Well this is really strange that i decide to start searching through pages of the forums and then find this thread. I actually have that exact lower sitting in my office with all my other parts as I was taking inventory. What so special about this lower? I picked it up here on the files a few years ago.

FUUN063 October 06, 2011 01:17

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This lower will go with the other numbered parts that he has to make his rifle the complete original that it used to be when manufactured, my guess is.

The Files, go figure.

Leland
:fal:

HighRatMaster October 06, 2011 01:18

brunop, you should go buy a lottery ticket as soon as you can.

How cool.

bp77 October 06, 2011 01:58

Here she is in all her glory except for she was stripped before I got her, I guess that could be a good thing in other interests ; )

Oh so this is the missing link for the matching StG58. Wow, that is pretty lucky, but considering the number of these kits actually brought into the US and the nuts that we are with collecting them it's actually a pretty small group.

The good thing is I had not built this up yet, actually I had a couple days off this week and decided to actually inventory all the parts etc so I would stop buying too many duplicate parts as I was getting ready to send some stuff off to be refinished, this receiver was one of them I was going to use on a build.

I wonder how long it will be until my new "best friend" sends me a PM or email ; )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...6stGlower2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lower99556.jpg[/IMG]

MistWolf October 06, 2011 02:38

That's just crazy!

Zeusizme October 06, 2011 07:01

And they say that we gunnuts are heartless. Such a nice heart warming story to start my day off with. Glad to see your "family" is back togeather again.

lew October 06, 2011 07:26

Let the haggling begin. BP, don't let that mooch of a moderator lowball ya. You should walk away with his offer and at least a nice bottle of scotch. :D

Excellent story.

bill3542 October 06, 2011 07:52

yes the good old days of matching STG-58 kits, i wish i had bought 5 or 6 but settled for 1 and got lucky with all matching #8967. best part is the FN proofs on the barrel.

congrats on your find and reunite that orphan.

4markk October 06, 2011 08:02

:cry: :cry: :cry: God that's just beautiful man ... such a heart warming story!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I need another box of tissues !!!!!!! :biggrin:

MAINER October 06, 2011 08:53

Un(flipping)real! :eek:

That rifle will have quite a story to tell. The serial No. is only about 1,000 from mine.

Good to see a man get his "lower" parts together again. :shades:

Best thing is, I won't have to keep checking my spares every year on brunop's anniversary receiver hunt! :tongue:

FUUN063 October 06, 2011 09:26

He has not got it back yet.

By the way, how much do you want for it? I bet I can get more than a bottle of Scotch!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'll PM him right now.

Leland:shades:

lew October 06, 2011 09:34

Quote:

Originally posted by FUUN063
He has not got it back yet.

By the way, how much do you want for it? I bet I can get more than a bottle of Scotch!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'll PM him right now.

Leland:shades:

"That's pretty low mister. If I had a rubber hose with me, I'd beat you with it."

:D

FUUN063 October 06, 2011 15:02

You promise? Can you scream when you do it?

Leland:rofl: :rofl:

jugrunner October 06, 2011 21:53

that's what you get for being an A #1 Stand Up guy ... !!! ... that's good Karma ... !!! ... those of you that know brunop, know what I'm sayin' ... :biggrin:

couldn't happen to nicer guy ... :bow:

He's a busy man ... may actually take awhile for him to get your PM and realize what's happened ...

MistWolf October 07, 2011 05:55

brunop still hasn't come back to check his thread??

bp77 October 07, 2011 20:20

I have not heard a thing.

def90 October 07, 2011 22:08

Quote:

Originally posted by bp77
Well, his last post was Sept 17th.. may be away at the moment.

jugrunner October 07, 2011 22:20

Quote:

you will ... if not, I'll pay you for it and send it to brunop ... no worries !!

brunop October 15, 2011 18:53

I'm back. And HOLY CRAP - miracles do happen!!

Jugrunner - thanks for having my back while I was away - I really appreciate it.

bp77 - I have sent you a PM. And I would love to buy it from you for more than you paid + your favorite bottle of something good. Alternately, I would do the scotch (or whatever) + trade for another nice lower.

You're the boss...

To everyone else - thanks a ton for looking and/or the nice thoughts! Could be a 'win'!!

brunop

embatp October 15, 2011 19:02

jeff...be sure to post pics....nothing like a happy reunion...

brunop October 15, 2011 19:12

Quote:

Originally posted by MAINER

Best thing is, I won't have to keep checking my spares every year on brunop's anniversary receiver hunt! :tongue:

Mainer, you rock! Thanks man.

Peace.

harleyrider October 15, 2011 21:03

Cool deal! Glad it looks like it'll work out.

Looking forward to seeing the reunited rifle.

HR

LaConservationist October 15, 2011 22:52

:bow: PROOF POSITIVE that the :bow: FALFILES:bow: and its membership are the BEST on the web...... PERIOD! Great job guys! Congrats Brunop! :bow:

LaC

bp77 October 15, 2011 23:14

All, Brunop and I have exchanged notes and he will get his lower back, I am just looking to get a nice replacement Steyr lower so I can finish a build. As for my fav poison, I am a rum (capt Morgan private stock) and red wine (cakebread zin) guy. Not that you need to get me anything for doing this. I would hope somebody would help me out in a similar situation, what comes around goes around, that just how I roll.

brunop October 16, 2011 01:34

bp77 is my hero! We are trading stripped StG lowers, and while this one isn't stripped yet, you can rest assured that a stripped lower isn't the only thing he's getting in the box from me...

Replacement StG lower:

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...1/HPIM1967.jpg

Rust and ding-free

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...1/HPIM1969.jpg

Clean recoil plate

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...1/HPIM1970.jpg

92xxx instead of 99xxx

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...1/HPIM1971.jpg

:love:

bp77 October 16, 2011 05:01

Looks very nice!!!! If you want to leave the recoil spring tube on it I will add one to your lower, your call I had just picked up a new one. To rebuild your lower, I never liked doing the r&r on those things.

jugrunner October 17, 2011 15:31

Quote:

Looks very nice!!!! If you want to leave the recoil spring tube on it I will add one to your lower, your call I had just picked up a new one. To rebuild your lower, I never liked doing the r&r on those things.
I heard that ... !!! ... I hate foolin' with 'em ... !!!!! ... some of the "guru's" know the trick I'm sure but I've ruined one and failed on two or three more ... some r easy ... kinda' like women huh ... ??? ... :confused:

congrats Jeff ... :biggrin:

bp77 November 04, 2011 17:05

Update,
brunop shipped me a wonderful replacement Steyr lower with a couple bottles of Capt. Morgan Private Stock that I will enjoy:D Thank you!!!! Not needed but very very nice of him!!

I just shipped lower 99556 to him today priority mail so we should see the reunion soon!

Thanks again brunop!!!! Lets see those photos one you get it put back together.

jugrunner November 06, 2011 09:42

looks like all is well !!! ... Jeff is kinda' "Unique" in his dealings here on the files ... I personally have never dealt with someone so trusting of others and so generous in that trust !!! ...

... :bow: ...

congrats to both of youz guyz ... :wink:

brunop November 06, 2011 13:12

Thanks, Jug - I've been burned once here on the Files - by mojo matic. Decided not to let one bad apple hurt my respect for this great group of people.

I'm looking forward to putting pics of the family reunion up. Thanks again bp - I appreciate your time and willingness to help the 'quest'!

:whiskey:

brunop November 19, 2011 03:10

bp77 took good care of me, and I have a happy little family reunion going on on the living room floor...

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...union99556.jpg

That's right folks - all's well in paradise. Thanks a ton to everyone who looked in their parts bins, shops, and safes. Kinda cool to get it all together. Now to build something good out of it...

Panzerkampfwagon November 22, 2011 12:37

Very cool. Enjoy!

Dopavash November 22, 2011 12:45

Everybody loves a story with a happy ending.

Mark IV November 22, 2011 16:44

Pics please when you get it together.

brunop January 13, 2019 00:15

It has only been 7 1/2 years since the happy reunion of this Steyr lower and the rest of the kit that I owned.

Finally built it - needed the StG wood + DS-prefix Type II for this one.

Good news? It looks BAD ASS. Other good news? It shoots:

https://i.imgur.com/HwZDSUGl.jpg

I think this will make Gary's list of 2 MOA rifles, but it didn't do it today: today was just sighting in, and we were in a bit of a hurry.

100 yards, prone, iron sights (of course). On a bag (front) and my shoulder (rear). First group from build. Moved sights a bit less than I thought, and shot a great second group.

Third (not-a-group) group was in the black, but nowhere near the shooting I'd been doing. Gotta find out if that is 'warm barrel' vertical stringing, or if that is just being in a hurry.

More later.

bp77 January 13, 2019 01:49

About time, lol. I also built up the lower you swapped it for itís sitting in the safe, the Rum, well itís gone, lol!