The FAL Files

The FAL Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help with final coat of finish on my new SARCO lighter Birch SAR 48 furn...Question.. (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441218)

STGguy May 20, 2019 20:19

Help with final coat of finish on my new SARCO lighter Birch SAR 48 furn...Question..
 
Hello,

I just received my new furn from Sarco for my Izzy, want to steel wool it and add another coat or 2 of top coat, want to lighten it if anything, definitely NO darker as I want the lighter finish on it- its a SAR 48, open ear, FN marked, not 100% happy with orig wood.

If I were to 000 or so steel wool it, tack rag it and rub a very satin, not shiny anything but a complimentary finish on this, possibly 2-3-4 coats, JUST as a TOP coat to make it 100% bulletproof... If its fine as is let me know, just thought a few coats of clear, NO shine, matte/ satin sealer/ JB linseed, Johnsons Paste Wax, Tung Oil, etc what do ya'll recommend.... I don't want it ANY darker at ALL.

Pics:
https://i.imgur.com/1FwZA4I.jpg

Thoughts?

gunplumber May 20, 2019 21:52

It is very hard to alter the uniform light brown of the new furniture. It's not stain. It's more of a paint. Like a ruger 10/22 or mini-14 stock. If you mess with it, you're going to end up having to strip it, bleach it, and then TRY to dye it. Because the birch has a mix of tight and loose grain structure, stains give an ugly mottled look as they soak into some areas more than others.

Of all the restorations I've done, birch has been the most difficult. A light coat of alcohol based colonial maple on raw, bleached "white" wood is the closest I've come, but still worse than what you're starting with.

If anyone has a bright idea, I'm all ears. Tagged Paul.

FWIW, I use a hex key in handle sharpened and radiused to match the handguard grooves, to scrape those out.

You might try teakwood finish as it's thinner and not as dark as the tung oil finish or some of the others. Most finishes when they catalyze/oxidize tend to darken. Maybe clear Bullseye laquer (I use the amber for AK beech/elm). But check the can date as I've recently discovered it's only good for a few years - and now the date code is a secret - google it.

yellowhand May 20, 2019 22:24

I only use oil based dye on birch, as Mark commented, because without an opaque finish, it simply looks horrible most the time.

You can top over this original existing finish.

Take some 600/800 grain sand paper,,800 better than 600,,, and lightly go over the whole stock/guards, it will lighten up the wood a little,,but ya got to be real careful to make sure you do it in a uniformed way,,, or you will get light spots, which are ugly as sin.

Most of these new original ones I get across the bench appear sprayed on, real thick in places, even still tacky years later. May even be some type preservative sprayed on them. I lightly sand them, 6 or 8 hundred grit,,,then once smooth and uniform,,use LinSpeed to seal the wood up and get it to dry fully.

https://www.lin-speed.com/

Two or three coats will give you a nice deep low sheen to this wood using Linspeed,,,its expensive,,,,7 to 8 coats will make it look like glass. Apply one coat,,,allow to dry overnight,,,then hit the wood with a feather light, light,light sanding, 600/800 grit,,then another coat or two, all done.

This stuff is long wearing, easy to touch up,and hard as nails, and does not normally darken various wood species.

Good luck, go slow, use high grit paper, 600/800, and go to it.

STGguy May 22, 2019 11:22

Question..
 
Thank you for the input, sounds risky??

What if I just wanted to seal this orig finish that's on it? Would a lite 000 or so steel wool, tack rag and then coat of Johnsons Paste wax be beneficial and look good?

I actually have JB linseed oil. The last stock- it was a cheap 22 stock I did for my friends son, not sure the wood, possibly birch? Anyways it made it more "orangeish" and slightly darker in color. I def don't want that as this new furn. has a really nice lighter color to it now.

I feel like I want to do something to it, just not sure its fully "done" or "sealed"

yellowhand May 22, 2019 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by STGguy (Post 4740323)
Thank you for the input, sounds risky??

What if I just wanted to seal this orig finish that's on it? Would a lite 000 or so steel wool, tack rag and then coat of Johnsons Paste wax be beneficial and look good?

I actually have JB linseed oil. The last stock- it was a cheap 22 stock I did for my friends son, not sure the wood, possibly birch? Anyways it made it more "orangeish" and slightly darker in color. I def don't want that as this new furn. has a really nice lighter color to it now.

I feel like I want to do something to it, just not sure its fully "done" or "sealed"

It's all very "risky",,subject to screwing up, real bad,,, real fast,,, reason folks send me their wood piles.:):uhoh::rofl:

The nice thing,,,its your wood,,,you want to do it yourself,,decide what ya want to try, then go for it.:)

If you don't care for the results, sand it down, strip it all off, and start over.

Linspeed over bare wood, not 1st sealed/colored properly, will darken the hell out of the bare wood really quick.
It penetrates bare sanded wood like a sponge soaking up water.

STGguy May 22, 2019 16:18

Thank you all
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4740402)
It's all very "risky",,subject to screwing up, real bad,,, real fast,,, reason folks send me their wood piles.:):uhoh::rofl:

The nice thing,,,its your wood,,,you want to do it yourself,,decide what ya want to try, then go for it.:)

If you don't care for the results, sand it down, strip it all off, and start over.

Linspeed over bare wood, not 1st sealed/colored properly, will darken the hell out of the bare wood really quick.
It penetrates bare sanded wood like a sponge soaking up water.

Good point, I'm just sending it to you !! ;)

yellowhand May 22, 2019 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by STGguy (Post 4740418)
Good point, I'm just sending it to you !! ;)

You seem to know what you want,,,you do it,,,it all turns bad,,then send along to me.:whistling:

Its what a lot of folks do.:rofl:

All joking aside,,look around,,decide what you want,,then take a shot at it.

I'm no good on metal work, building rifles/fixing pistols, so all my firearms go up to Gunplumber, with a comment, this is happening or that, please fix and return.

Everyone has different gifts in this life.

STGguy May 23, 2019 12:12

10-4!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4740476)
You seem to know what you want,,,you do it,,,it all turns bad,,then send along to me.:whistling:

Its what a lot of folks do.:rofl:

All joking aside,,look around,,decide what you want,,then take a shot at it.

I'm no good on metal work, building rifles/fixing pistols, so all my firearms go up to Gunplumber, with a comment, this is happening or that, please fix and return.

Everyone has different gifts in this life.

LOL I'd imagine you get quite a few of those.... ;)

TerryN May 25, 2019 03:58

I have tried the exact procedure spelled out in the thread at the link, and it works very well. It is the method I use on nearly all 'hardwood' stocks now.

http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtop...n+Finish#p1862

STGguy June 19, 2019 10:42

Thank you all!
 
Thank you all for your help here.

I ended up picking up a NOS perfect lighter birch furn set. Did we ever decide if its a good idea to hit it with a OOO or 4O steel wool, tack rag then apply a coat or two of Johnsons paste wax or ? to protect it? I'd like to do something to it to protect it if that would seem to be a good idea.

jhend170 June 24, 2019 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by STGguy (Post 4750024)
Thank you all for your help here.

I ended up picking up a NOS perfect lighter birch furn set. Did we ever decide if its a good idea to hit it with a OOO or 4O steel wool, tack rag then apply a coat or two of Johnsons paste wax or ? to protect it? I'd like to do something to it to protect it if that would seem to be a good idea.

My thinking is the paste wax would be fine. According to Rich (the Blue Monster) the finish on the Izzys is beeswax, so I don't see what the paste wax would hurt.

If you want to completely refinish the Izzy birch though I've done it and made it look great as far as I'm concerned. If you'd like the method LMK and I'll share it here. Sharing pics is too much of a PITA now, so if you'd like pics PM me a cell number and I'll text them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2019 The FAL Files