The FAL Files

The FAL Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 1911 Files (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   CMP 1911 (https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448632)

def90 January 08, 2020 21:14

CMP 1911

My Field grade 1911 arrived today. In the end I chose field grade over service only because many of the service grade 1911s I have seen online are the 1980s refurbished 1911s with the new gray park on them while I was seeing a lot of picks of Field grade 1911s that had a somewhat more original condition finish along with some with rack numbers on the grips.

The whole debate between service grade and field grade was a rough one, still wondering if I should have gone service grade. It's a crap shoot so what do you do.

What I received is a 1943 Ithaca frame and Colt slide. There are a number of smaller replacement parts that don't match up finish wise so much so I will be looking for some pieces that match a bit better down the road.

I'll be stripping it down and doing a detailed cleaning and maybe a deep boil to de-grime it at some point in the future. The mag that came with it is binding on the trigger, need to test it with some other mags.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mq...=w1200-h900-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jd...=w1200-h900-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LI...=w1200-h900-no

HenryIV January 08, 2020 21:38

I think itís a really cool pistol. Good choice to go with one thatís not refinished.

What was your number? Mine is 14,000. Not sure I will ever get one with that high of a number.

def90 January 08, 2020 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryIV (Post 4827196)
I think itís a really cool pistol. Good choice to go with one thatís not refinished.

What was your number? Mine is 14,000. Not sure I will ever get one with that high of a number.

My number was 11075. I was not supposed to get one in this batch so either they have received more 1911s or people that were in line ahead of me aren't buying them.

Ol okie January 09, 2020 11:31

Thatís a nice pistol and great piece of history.

Tip_drill January 09, 2020 11:38

I am no expert, but that slide looks to be from a commercial 1911 colt.

The CMP has sold other 1911a1's with 1970's replacement slides that were not even marked with a manufacturers name, just a federal stock number denoting the replacement part.

That is still a damn fine pistol, please don't take my observations as knocking your firearm.

A friend of mine bought such a pistol and it had been through at least 3 rebuilds..It has an Ithaca slide, and a chrome lined replacement barrel...And it even had its frame checkered indicating that it had been used as a national match target pistol at one time.

mp January 09, 2020 12:27

When my number popped up, Field grade was the only offering, so it made my choice easier. Several months later, my wife's number popped up and she got the Service Grade (light gray unfired from rebuild). Mine has some character and is a fun shooter. Have yet to look up the parts to see what's correct.

AliYahu January 09, 2020 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip_drill (Post 4827331)

The CMP has sold other 1911a1's with 1970's replacement slides that were not even marked with a manufacturers name, just a federal stock number denoting the replacement part.

That is still a damn fine pistol, please don't take my observations as knocking your firearm.

A friend of mine bought such a pistol and it had been through at least 3 rebuilds..It has an Ithaca slide, and a chrome lined replacement barrel...And it even had its frame checkered indicating that it had been used as a national match target pistol at one time.

Slide is also marked commonwealth CALIBRE instead of American CALIBER - not sure what that's indicative of, though. Neat piece!

Eli

Tip_drill January 09, 2020 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliYahu (Post 4827384)
Slide is also marked commonwealth CALIBRE instead of American CALIBER - not sure what that's indicative of, though. Neat piece!

Eli

Colt 1921's and US 1928 TSMG's are also marked with this spelling....I believe that slide is pre war from 1920's or 30's

Arby January 09, 2020 14:42

Def,

Are there serial numbers on the slide behind the firing pin block?
What proofs are on the barrel?

def90 January 09, 2020 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arby (Post 4827402)
Def,

Are there serial numbers on the slide behind the firing pin block?
What proofs are on the barrel?

I donít see any serial number on the slide. Barrel says SA .45 AUTO in the ejection port and the right lug has an S on the upper right, a C on the lower left and maybe a Y on the uppper left? Left side of lug has an R on the upper right.

def90 January 09, 2020 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip_drill (Post 4827331)

Wouldn’t be surprised, the field grades had the possibility of having commercial parts on them. Several of the small parts such as the slide stop, safety and mag release are a black color and likely commercial parts.

Love the Ithaca frame though, would love to find a matching Ithaca slide.

Andy the Aussie January 09, 2020 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliYahu (Post 4827384)
not sure what that's indicative of, though.

....allow me.... :biggrin: it's indicative of style....class....panache...and several other wondeful attributes.... :p:facepalm::beer:

That is a lovely 1911..!!! I regret that in the mid-90s I didn't but of one of the 1911s that landed here from Vietnam in some numbers. I examined a couple an all appeared to have been arsenal rebuilt and then shipped to the RVN where they remained unused till turning up here. The same shipment to here included a range of 12ga pump guns I have mentioned before, I ended up spending my spare salary on those and passed on the much higher priced (for a singe piece) 1911s.

Wildcat January 09, 2020 18:56

Does the back end of the slide show signs of having been hit by/on something?
Maybe on the right side?
Hard to tell in the photos.

TerryN January 10, 2020 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 4827488)
Does the back end of the slide show signs of having been hit by/on something?
Maybe on the right side?
Hard to tell in the photos.

There sure does appear to be a wire edge thrown up on the top edge of the slide!

Some of the very late USGI replacement parts had a black finish, so those parts on the OP's gun are likely not commercial. I recall the late narrow-spur black hammers being pretty darn good quality - adequately hardened, and could be worked to give a very decent trigger pull.

def90 January 10, 2020 10:04

Yes, on the upper top right edge just to the right of the hammer groove there is an area about 1/6-1/8 inch wide where it looks like something glanced off the top edge of the frame and also struck the far right edge of the rear sight. Other than finish wear that is the only damage I have found on it.

Mrbadshot January 12, 2020 10:50

CMP 1911

Back when thes pistols were first announced I was super pumped to get my name in the hat.I downloaded the paper work and sent it by US mail on the fist day allowed, then I waited and waited....nothing ,evidently my packet was lost ...tracking stated it was in transit but it never surfaced. The application window closed.The End.

Woodpusherpro January 12, 2020 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrbadshot (Post 4828437)
Back when thes pistols were first announced I was super pumped to get my name in the hat.I downloaded the paper work and sent it by US mail on the fist day allowed, then I waited and waited....nothing ,evidently my packet was lost ...tracking stated it was in transit but it never surfaced. The application window closed.The End.

Wow.. What a heartbreaker. I don't even want to imagine..

ExCdnSoldierInTx January 18, 2020 01:38

Just having this program available in the first place is a mighty big blessing for us all.

Iím contrast Iíll point out how the Canadian Government refused to sell the Inglis Hi Powers to civilians, and once he Army was truly done with them, they were all tossed into the shredders. History lost. Just like that, theyíre all gone.
Every single one except those that were released previously.

For as shitty as itís getting around here these days, just stop and think of how much weíd all have cherished an Inglis or two in our collections.

At least I have my pair, no thanks to the Canadians.