PDA

View Full Version : How much accuracy are you losing with your 16" carbine?

New Shot
April 29, 2001, 09:47
My DSA kit gun carbine seems to be about half as accurate as my 21" at a 25yd indoor range. Anyone else experiance this?

faldoc
April 29, 2001, 12:38
I have the same problem. The long bbl gives me about 1 MOA at 100 yds and the carbine about 2 MOA.

gunplumber
April 29, 2001, 13:35
There is no relationship between 16 vs 21" and accuracy. If the 16" is less accurate, its because the barrel is less accurate, not because of the length. A poor crown in shortening may cause it, a flaw in the rifling at one point that just happens to coincide with where its cut is possible, but although there is a velocity losss that will cause a faster drop at extrteme distances, there is no basis for assuming the same barrel, when cut from 21" to 16" will be less accurate. I have found some improved accuracy, perhaps due to different barrel harmonics, or maybe a better crown than the factory,. I dunno.

New Shot
April 29, 2001, 14:06
Well Mark, as a testament to your fine work, my 21" FAL is one of yours. Maybe that's why it shoots so much better? I guess the extra recoil shouldn't make a difference. Must be how the barrel is cut. Would the trigger make a difference? The DSA's is not as smooth.

FALshot
April 29, 2001, 18:48
I wasn't aware of some of the nuances that Mark mentioned, but from what I've read, and in my own experiences with a kit carbine, and a pre ban 21" Israeli, or a DSA carbine and a 21" StG kit, with iron sights I can't find any real difference off of a bench at 100 and 200 yds.

Are you shooting off a bench at 25 yds. to get the differences you mentioned?

[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: FALshot ]

EMDII
April 30, 2001, 01:16
There exists NO correlation between accuracy and barrel length. Muzzle velocity variables do not contribute significantly to accuracy on the FAL.

The sight radius is identical (for OEM length handguards), so MV only effects trajectory, NOT accuracy. If your carbine is less accurate, it is not a function of barrel length. More likely some other intrinsic factor. Only way to compare is to swap front ends on a rifle, but even then you've swapped uppers and have different headspace, Yadayada.

[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

TStafford
April 30, 2001, 01:43
Trigger can make a differance. I find a heavy and gritty trigger can make a big differance. Some triggers do improve with age.

New Shot
April 30, 2001, 06:55
I was shooting off of a bench, or rest. Even when I put an Aimpoint on it it still wasn't as good as the rifle with irons (very close though) The trigger is gritty in the take up so it is hard to tell when it will break. That could be the rpoblem.