PDA

View Full Version : Hard Chrome FN Bolt-Carrier and Bolt by Blackhawk Plating

night_hog
December 05, 2001, 21:43
I recently hard chromed the bolt and bolt-carrier on my R1. I believe I have all the bugs worked out, as far as the hard chrome process. I'm trying to find out if there is any interest in anyone else wanting this process done to their FN or any other parts such as the gas system. Any questions please e-mail me, and I will be happy to answer them in a timely manner.

ricochet
December 05, 2001, 21:55
I have a couple sandcut bolt carriers that were satin nickled(sp?). What is the price for chroming a bolt carrier?

night_hog
December 05, 2001, 22:18
Since I have had several responses in less than an hour the cost will be $30.00 + return shipping; for Bolt and Carrier. If you are interested send parts to:

Blackhawk Plating
12430 Galveston Rd #B18
Webster, TX 77598

:)

R4 fan
December 06, 2001, 02:04
I'd be intersested in getting a hammer/trigger/sear done and maybe the inside of a gas tube.

Also, I heard before though that you shouldn't chrome plate a bolt
carrier because the process might screw with the temper or hardness of the carrier and create a potential safety problem. I don't know anything about applying chrome plating, but would like to know what temperatures are involved with the base metal when applying the plating. Anyone know any facts on this?

Vanden Berg
December 06, 2001, 16:07
I have had Blackhawk hardchrome some parts for me. They look as good as any hardchroming I've seen. It is my understanding that the operating temperature is approx. 95 degrees F.

I take hotter showers than that.

W.E.G.
December 06, 2001, 16:21
What COLOR are the parts after the process?

EmbassyMarine
December 06, 2001, 16:41
Does the process change the tolerances?
Could 'oversize' become a factor?
TIA

csam
December 06, 2001, 19:38
Can you get some pics of the work, what does this look like?

falover
December 06, 2001, 19:47
i remember reading on this site that if you hard crome the extractor you could have some problems. did you run into any thing like this?

night_hog
December 06, 2001, 22:57
I'll try to answer some of the questions posted. The temperatures involved in Hard Chroming on the top end are 110 F on average approximatley 95 F. The color of the parts are equivalent to a matt grey stainless. The thickness of the hard chrome is .0005 to .001 of an inch, I believe a standard piece of notebook paper is about .004 of an inch. Pics will be available soon.

R4 fan
December 07, 2001, 02:22
Cool. How much to chrome line the inside of a gas tube? :)

country boy
December 07, 2001, 10:15
How about chroming the gas tube and the gas piston for easier clean-up and more wear resistance. I thought I read, in a gunplumber post, that DSA were the only ones chroming their g.p., but stopped doing it to be cheaper. I think he was working on trying to chrome some FSE g.p., since they have a smaller diameter than the DSA's.