PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: Idaho memebers, gunshow question.

idaho-fal
April 05, 2001, 07:10
I need advice on which gun show to attend at the Fairgrounds at Boise. Promoters are already advertising the May 19-20 show in the Statesman newspaper and just today I noticed another gun show being advertised this weekend at the Fairgrounds, I assume this weekends will be a rinky dink one because of the poor advertising. My wife has decided that she wants an AK for her next toy and since it's a 120 mile drive I'd rather go steelhead fishing this weekend if the show isn't that good. Thanks for any input.
idaho-fal

Billybob
April 05, 2001, 20:18
I'm going to this week's show, but just because I'm only fifty miles away and don't have anything better to do. The shows put on by E DA HOW long rifles like this weekend's are usually pretty weak. Of course, almost every show I have been to in Boise hasn't been very good. Everyone thinks they are hanging on to a collector's item and will do you the great favor of parting with it for twice what it's worth. If you don't want to make the drive, wait for the May show.
Billybob
p.s. If you are looking for anything in particular, let me know, and after I go on Saturday, I can give you a rundown on what I saw and you can go on Sunday if there is something you want for a decent deal.
Billybob

[This message has been edited by Billybob (edited April 05, 2001).]

idaho-fal
April 06, 2001, 13:34
Billybob, thanks for the offer, My wife is after an AK, preferably sar-1 type with blonde wood if available. I can get one out of shotgun news for $310 delivered, but am willing to pay a little more if I can look at it before buy. At the last show there where alot of NIB Ruger .357 magnums for $350 and I didn't buy one!! If they have either please let me know.

thanks
idaho-fal

Billybob
April 07, 2001, 17:54
Well Idaho-FAL, it actually wasn't a half bad show. Not great, but not bad. Lots of FALs and AKs. Quite a few pre ban AKs and some that were advertised as such, but looked pretty iffy to me. I only saw two SAR 1s and the going price was over $400 for both. Saw several Ruger Blackhawk .357s and some GP-100s. The table where the GPs were at was so crowded that I didn't get close enought to see a price, but the price on the Blackhawks was $349. Saw what appeared to be an excellent 1903-A3 for $350, but the barrel was practically a smooth bore. Also saw three FNCs for a little over 3 grand apiece. Overall, not bad, but I didn't see anything I felt like I couldn't live without. I'm hoping the May show will be a little better. By the way, I ordered a SAR1 from SOG a couple months back and it was a pretty decent one. The finish sucked, but the gas tube and front sight were straight. Don't know if they have anymore or not though.
Billybob

[This message has been edited by Billybob (edited April 07, 2001).]

idaho-fal
April 07, 2001, 19:58
Billybob, you are the man. Thanks for the in-depth report. Sounds like it may be worth the drive, with the weather as lousy as it is I would rather not freeze to death fishing. Sorry you didn't find any toys.

idhao-fal

Sparhawk
April 07, 2001, 22:53
Hey guys!

The wife and I are planning on moving to Boise next year to get out of Kali.

What is the political climate on guns/shooting/hunting up there?

How about the availability of ranges? There are only a few within a 1 1/2 hour drive from here. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/frown.gif

Chris

Billybob
April 08, 2001, 00:37
Idaho-FAL, if you don't have anything else going on, it might be worth the drive for you. Like I said, not great, but not too shabby either. I also forgot to mention there was a guy there selling Imbel kits for $250. Sparhawk -- what can I say about the political climate. About 99% of the Idaho legislature is republican, and the only county that voted for Al Gore was Blaine county, home to Sun Valley, which (excuse me for this) is mostly California transplants. Idaho has a shall issue Concealed Carry law. I know of one indoor shooting range in Boise, but there are plenty of places to shoot in the surrounding countryside. I am in Mountain Home about 50 miles away from Boise and I drive about ten minutes out of town and shoot at a place where I could reach out several thousand yards if I wanted to do so. The only problem is it is fairly windy most of the time, but it does teach you how to dope wind. As I was born and raised in Idaho, I hate to see it get crowded, but it's happening anyway, so we may as well get as many shooters here as we can, so all I can say is welcome.
Billybob
p.s. Just noticed the part about hunting in your post there Sparhawk. Although they don't do it anymore, when I was a kid, opening day of deer and elk season, school was closed. And even today, I bet it's the most missed day of school. I'm from up North and that's where I do my elk hunting, but there are plenty of deer,elk and antelope down in this region, along with a pretty healthy bear population.

[This message has been edited by Billybob (edited April 08, 2001).]

idaho-fal
April 09, 2001, 10:47
billybob, we ended up going to the show on Sunday, we got there at about 9:30 in the morning and the place was dead, we pretty much had it all to our selves, several dealers failed to show up on sunday and alot of stuff was still covered with sheets at noon when we left. We did see alot of overpriced ak's but my wife found a private seller who had a booth next to the tactical tailor booth. He had a 1994 mak90 ak, which means preban private sale for $350 out the door and it had the blonde wood she was looking for. It was well worth the drive. I noticed most items where priced higher than I can get at my local pawn shops so I guess I'll just keep shopping there unless I need unusual items. Thanks again for the play by play calls.
idaho-fal

Sparhawk
April 09, 2001, 11:12
Billybob,

Thanks for the info. We are going to be taking a vacation in July to visit the area. I am sorry to hear my Liberal neighboors are wasting your oxygen. I wish we could get rid of them all! The hunting sounds good. My brother has lived in the Twin Falls area for about ten years now, and just raves about the hunting. I'm lucky if I could shoot a deer much bigger than a dog down here! I look forward to visitng and possibly moving to your fine state.

Chris