PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of DSA SA-58 Bull barrel?

dpenn54
October 22, 2001, 23:35
Hi FAL friends,

I'm ordering a new DSA SA-58 in a few days and I'm having trouble deciding which configuration to go with. Can anyone tell me how much better accuracy I can get out of the bull barrel with the free floating handguard versus the regular set up?

50 Freak
October 23, 2001, 11:33
I'd like to know myself.....Guys??????????

Stranger
October 23, 2001, 14:40
I have the Medium Contour (Half-Bull) barrel on my SA-58 and the accuracy is not that much greater than my friend's SA-58 Standard. It is somewhat better, as I can hit consistently better with my rifle compared to shooting his rifle. He has been shooting his rifle for a good two years longer than I have been shooting mine, and he shoots the same with both rifles. It is hard to say whether or not this is due to operator ability or rifle ability. I find that I shoot better with what I am most comfortable with. I would say to go with the Med. Cont. barrel at most, due to weight concerns. If you want a heavy barrel target rifle, go with a bolt action (Rem. 700 or something), not a semi-auto. Remember that you are going to have to lug the thing around. The extra money involved in getting the Bull is not going to be worth the negligible difference in accuracy (even if there is any). I bought the Med. Contour because I was able to get it for $50 over the cost of the standard. Unfortunately, I thought, "What the hell, it couldn't hurt the accuracy." It is amazing what a difference a pound can make after a long day of trecking around in the woods. I kind of wish that I had gone with the Standard. Unless DSA comes out with a statement saying that they will guarantee sub-MOA in their Bull barrels, it isn't worth it IMO. Anyway, good luck and have fun!