PDA

View Full Version : Which scope do you use on your FN?

Barry Yeaman
October 28, 2002, 07:12
FN scope - which one!
I consider my FN a semi long range assault rifle. I don't want to put a $$$ sniper scope on it. I want to put a quick acquisition type on it. I want about 4x or 5x set magnification.
Ia a large aperature, 50+, a benifit for Taliban type shooting?
What are any of you using and why do you like it. I already have a longe range rifle. I need a scope that will fill the void between my EOtech and my Leupold.
Frustrated and ready to buy some thing.

FN74
October 28, 2002, 08:39
ACOG TA11C or E, Elcan, or Tri-lux SUIT would fit the bill perfectly.

My advice - Dump the leopold and EO-tech and replace with the ACOG TA11C.

TA11C 3.5x with BDC reticle, Tritium powered (no batteries), and has the "donut of death" for quick acquisition.

http://www.trijicon.com/parts/C94E.jpg
http://www.trijicon.com/parts/1324.jpg
Details: ACOG 3.5x35 Scope with Red Donut BAC Reticle - Features Dual
Illumination (Fiber Optic provides daylight illumination and tritium
illuminates reticle at night) and Ranging out to 800 Meters
calibrated for 7.62 (.308 cal)

Magnification: 3.5X
Eye Relief: 60mm (2.4in)
Exit Pupil: 10mm
Field of View: 5.5 degrees
Length: 203mm (8.0 in)
Weight: 397g (14 oz)
Field of View: 9.63m at 100m (28.9 ft at 100 yds)
Adjustment: 15 Seconds of Angle per click
(approx. 4 clicks per inch at 100 yds.)
Reticle: 4 MOA Outside Diameter /
2 MOA Inside Diameter
Tritium Activity: 100 milliCuries in one source

http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/trijicon/trijacog.html

Pic of member "blackdogs" ACOG equipped FAL.
http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=AK74&album_id=104848&image_id=5&courtesy=1

HTH!

shootist87122
October 28, 2002, 09:04
Burris 3X9 Compact. Sets as low as you can go /w medium rings.

Barry Yeaman
October 28, 2002, 10:19
Although the ACOG is sweet, it is also $$$$$$$$$$$. That is why I don't have one now. The ACOG would have been my first choice if bucks were not an issue. I will take a look at the Burris and see what it looks like.
Thanks for your input.

FN74
October 28, 2002, 10:26
Originally posted by Barry Yeaman
Although the ACOG is sweet, it is also $$$$$$$$$$$. That is why I don't have one now. The ACOG would have been my first choice if bucks were not an issue. I will take a look at the Burris and see what it looks like.
Thanks for your input.

ACOG will do everything that the EOtech and Leupold will + some.

That's why I suggested selling off those two and getting the ACOG.

Milspec quality optics good for out to 800 meters....

Barry Yeaman
October 28, 2002, 11:04
I think you may have a point. Gun show will be here in just over (3) weeks. If I can't move them by then, I will try there.
Thanks

ricochet
October 28, 2002, 11:13
I have used an ACOG and it is sweet, BUT, I have good luck using various scopes. I have mounted on various riflesa Leupold 2x7,a Leupold 3x9 (both VX2), a couple Vomz (one 4x, and one 8x), and am mounting a Bausch&Lomb 3x9. I do believe each of these scopes will hold up well to much shooting (as I plan to shoot each one for a long time). I do believe my favorite is the Leupold 2X7. It also looks right. It is pretty bright and really needs no larger objective.

I will say nothing negative about the acog. You have many great choices to look at and choose from.

shootist87122
October 28, 2002, 11:30
Just to add more confusion :tongue:

I have an ACOG TA01NSN on a flattop A/R and love it. It is the best for that application, bar-none, but with the elevated flat top mount I fear it will sit too high on the FAL for proper stock/cheek weld.

I have never mounted on the FAL.

Barry Yeaman
October 28, 2002, 12:37
To many choices, not enough $$.
What type recticle does the Leupold 2x7 have? Do you think it comes up quick enough for reflex type shooting? I will go to their site and see what specs I can find.
I have seen the VOMZ scopes on line but never in the hand. What can you tell me about them?

madecov
October 28, 2002, 13:48
I have a VOMZ 8x56 on my FAL. Really nice glass. built like a tank. Bright and clear. I'm very pleased with it.

fnfalman
October 28, 2002, 13:56
I have a Kahles 1.1-4X short scope that is fitted with Leupold QD rings that I swap between the SAR48 and the HK91, depending on what day which hair runs up my ass.

This scope is built like a tank! Its maximum of 4X magnification is plenty good enough for field accuracy out to 600 meters. At close range, the 1.1X is perfect for two-eyes-open shootings and snap shots.

I bought it at a closeout sales for $350. Alas, nowadays they usually run about $600+. One of these days when I stop buying guns, I'll have to stock up on these scopes.

ricochet
October 28, 2002, 19:18
To many choices, not enough $$.
What type recticle does the Leupold 2x7 have? Do you think it comes up quick enough for reflex type shooting? I will go to their site and see what specs I can find.
I have seen the VOMZ scopes on line but never in the hand. What can you tell me about them?

Hey Barry,
I have the Duplex reticle in all of my Leupolds, it is pretty quick for me to acquire target, since that is what I am used to. But no way is it as quick as ACOG's or Elcan's, they simply have a clear advantage as a battlefield sight. There are other battle scopes like these, but these are familiar to me. That is their clear advantage, while to me accuracy is a little harder. Note: accuracy is still sufficeint (designed for 6' targets), and I'm sure many can out shoot me with theirs.
But, for me, I find shooting tighter groups easier with a Duplex reticler. Fast acquisition is just a little less important to me. Good scopes give good reliability, the reticles are where the biggest difference lies.
And the Burris scopes are also great scopes.
And the Vomz ARE built like a tank, and a viable choice (the 8X is BIG- BUT VERY BRIGHT AND A RANGE-FINDING RETICLE).
You have many choices, just remember- a good scope is usually worth the money. Cheap scopes have failed me (and a couple good ones too). The VOMZ are kinda cheap, but they are an exception. They are built like a tank and I think they'll last.
Go to a major gunshow and look at your options, shop like you are buying a car, you'll have the scope longer than the car. Sorry about rambling on and on.

stymie
October 29, 2002, 01:07
Steiner 4x24mm STANAG w/ BDC on a Herstal STANAG dustcover. It's a perfect compliment to my 50.63 ...proper eye relief, maintains zero, clears the rear sight, compact, fabulous optics & a stadia reticle for ~$1K... but, worth every penny!

dk666
October 29, 2002, 02:34
Love my Elcan !!
Dave
:fal: :uhoh:

Barry Yeaman
October 29, 2002, 06:51
Ricochet,
Thanks for the info. Thanks to all for your input.
Man, this is tough.
I just bought a Kimber Pro CDP for a carry piece. I had to put my Custom Royal up for auction to get the CDP. I went back and got my Royal because I love that gun. Now I have to come up woth the extra $$$ to cover the CDP. That is why I am low on dough for a some decent optics.
Well, two kids in college aint helping matters much either.
On the other hand, it's only money.
:biggrin:

Barry Yeaman
October 29, 2002, 06:52
Dave,
Is that the lowest mount you can get for that ELCAN? It ought to have steps attached to it.

Antares
October 29, 2002, 12:28
Our very own duck has the ACOG on sale for $645.99 for his halloween sale ... so no complaining about price :)

www.bwof.com

Bubba
October 29, 2002, 13:41
Ditto's to dk666.

ricochet
October 29, 2002, 14:03
OK, I must admit I am cheap. If $600+ is ok, buy the ELCAN, but I can buy Leupold 2x for $180 and then another FAL.

The ELCAN scopes would be my first choice if I only wanted one. But I don't just want one.

falup
October 29, 2002, 22:33
ya can't go wrong w/ burris. natchez shooters periodically has
blems . they are sturdy. next less$ is the VOMZ from FWRA.

elcope
October 30, 2002, 00:09
I use a Weaver V16, 4-16 adj objective, with the lowest rings possible, and still clear the handguards.

I will post a pic of it next to the antelope I took with it last week during Montana's antelope season, as soon as I scan a pic and figure out how to resize the pic to something other than humongous.

Ed

PS: I received much jeering for lugging around such a heavy rifle for a week, and the large sunshade on the scope prompted questions like, " when are you going to get a sattelite dish for it"

:-)

Falfegnügen
October 30, 2002, 00:24
http://scottgs.dynip.com/pictures/Firearms/FAL-L1A1/Otto/Dsc00038a.jpg

Patty
October 30, 2002, 15:58
With the Hensoldt 4 X 24 as per Stymie I can pick out individual fir trees on a ridge 15 miles away. German glass. Even though the reticle is a large post, my wife can still put rounds in the center of the target at 300 yds. But its not for punching paper, its for punching East Germans and Russians. These were G3 scopes previously. BDC is set for 148 gr.

You could probably also pound nails in with it, too, if need be.

See:
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

Its a hard choice. Check archives. Good luck.

Shrike
October 30, 2002, 16:43
FN scope - which one!
I consider my FN a semi long range assault rifle

I do not believe in the existance of assault rifles. I do, however, believe in Battle Rifles

ACOG is the way to go :biggrin:
Mike

shootist87122
October 30, 2002, 17:22
Originally posted by stymie
Steiner 4x24mm STANAG w/ BDC on a Herstal STANAG dustcover. It's a perfect compliment to my 50.63 ...proper eye relief, maintains zero, clears the rear sight, compact, fabulous optics & a stadia reticle for ~$1K... but, worth every penny!

stymie or Patty,

What is the diameter for this scope. Will 1" or 30mm rings work or is the Stanag Dustcover mount the only way to go? Can you post or link a pic of your setup?

Thanks,

Joe

Tony.
October 30, 2002, 18:09
Originally posted by shootist87122

stymie or Patty,

What is the diameter for this scope. Will 1" or 30mm rings work or is the Stanag Dustcover mount the only way to go? Can you post or link a pic of your setup?

Thanks,

Joe

The Hensoldt / Karl Kaps is a 4x24 and has a STANAG base built on the bottom. You can get an original STANAG dustcover mount for big bucks or do as I did and get an ARMS STANAG to Weaver mount and mount it on a DSA dustcover.

jrgunman
October 30, 2002, 19:35
Aimpoint

level
October 30, 2002, 21:36
Barry, that was LOL funny - I was thinking the same thing, I guess it's set up for high volume firing...no heat distortion in the sighting plane...

fnsolarark
October 30, 2002, 22:29
can any one here guide me as to where can I call or look to find out that a certain fn/fal style rifle is pre ban or post. I met a canadian Mountie at a show, who is selling "F.M.A.P" rosario made Para model with folding stock. Befor I part with my hard earned money I want to make sure it is pre not postban.

Barry Yeaman
October 31, 2002, 06:54
Hey! Were talikng optics here. You need to start a new thread.

Man, you guys have got some cool optics. I know the German optics are hard to beat. I think some of the Ruskie optics are decent too, but the ones with the dragunov? stlye range crap built in is a bit much. It would take me ten minutes to find my target after sorting through all the grids.
Is a large aperature desireable for quick aquisition? Does a compact scope offer any advantage for quick shots or is it just a compact scope? What recticle is most desireable for quick shots. I know the ACOG is what I have always had my eye on, but DAMN they are expensive. I for one usually have to sell some thing to buy some thing. This situation is no exception. I guess I should hang out outside local pawn shop and wait for a "dude" to come buy with a "warm acog" and offer him $20.00 bucks for it. I am seldom at the right place at the right time.

Vanden Berg
October 31, 2002, 09:39
Trijicon Reflex on the in-the-truck Imbel, on WAC mount (in case it has to come off quickly).

6x18 Bushnell on the G-1 243Win "plinker", on modified Tapco mount (10-32 Torx screws, instead of wimpy OE little metric screws).

6.5x20 Nikon on the FAL "sniper", on DSA mount.

Jodi
October 31, 2002, 14:48
Shootist,
Here's a pic of a FN Hensoldt on a Stanag para mount.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Jodi550&album_id=76869&image_id=9&courtesy=1

shootist87122
October 31, 2002, 19:21
Jodi,

The link did not work, can you see if it works from your end? Could be the site is just down for the moment - I'll try it again later.

Thanks,:beer:

Joe

Talyn
October 31, 2002, 19:35
ACOG TA01B's on each FAL in this household.

ELCAN's may have fine optics, but IMHO waaaay toooo BIG.

Regards,

Talyn

BrenLover
October 31, 2002, 20:43
How did you mount that big honkin thing? How do you like it? What are its specs/special features?

BrenLover

Jodi
October 31, 2002, 22:42
Shootist,
Strange. Worked before, now no linky. Let's try again.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Jodi550&album_id=76869&image_id=9&courtesy=1

shootist87122
October 31, 2002, 23:10
aaaa-so

Thanks.

shootist87122
November 10, 2002, 18:10
Originally posted by shootist87122
Burris 3X9 Compact. Sets as low as you can go /w medium rings. Made a pic. Lots of other good compact scopes, BTW.