PDA

View Full Version : 19 years ago today...

JoeLad
October 23, 2002, 19:27
...many good Marines died in Beirut, Lebanon at the hands of cowardly terrorists.

Tonight I lift my glass to those Marines of the 24th MAU, BLT 1/8 who didn't sail back from The Root with the rest of us.

Semper Fi!

Firejunkie:sad:

SrBenelli
October 23, 2002, 19:49
Originally posted by FIREJUNKIE
[B
Tonight I lift my glass to those Marines of the 24th MAU, BLT 1/8 who didn't sail back from The Root with the rest of us.

Semper Fi!

Firejunkie:sad: [/B]:beer:

Snakeshot
October 23, 2002, 20:43
:beer:

A tragic early event in the war that we now clearly face.

fresca
October 23, 2002, 22:05
:beer:

Hebrew Battle Rifle
October 24, 2002, 01:00
SEMPER FI

Vulcan
October 24, 2002, 01:57
:beer: :beer:
Semper Fi, bro

SJetwrench
October 24, 2002, 04:45
From an not so old squid :beer: :whiskey: :beer: :bow:

Hoplophile
October 24, 2002, 13:27
I met a gunny once who was there. Has a HUUUUUUGE shrapnel scar on the back of his neck. Said he had to dig out 15 of the best friends he ever had. I also met a Druze Militiaman that was guarding the front gate til some butter bar with birth control ordered them to leave. My dad retired from the corps not long afterwards. How the **** could our president send our guys in to harms way then take away their ammunition?
To the 241 Marines who were murdered that day:
Semper Fidelis, You are not forgotten.
To our service personnel and especially Marines, thank you.

JoeLad
October 24, 2002, 17:37
Whoever said we didn't have ammo has their head up their ass.
We were issued 180 rounds of 5.56 the day we landed, May 17, 1983.
Later on, early to mid-September, the firefights with the ragheads started. Our 180 rounds were replenished as needed.

Perhaps the guys on guard at the BLT HQ had no ammo in their weapons the morning of 10/23, but that was SOP for them. They still had 7 magazines full of ammo.
I got reamed out by a HQ puke Lt. one day for not properly clearing my M16 into a sand barrel on a rare visit to the BLT.
Were I was, "on the line", we carried lock and loaded much of the time. We were just used to it after a while, guys at the BLT HQ were not.

I do blame Regan for leaving our asses hanging in the wind. After October 23 we should have been reinforced with all of the 8th Marines, and took over/shut down the whole area.
It was the beginning of our war with terrorism, and we showed weakness then.

FJ