PDA

View Full Version : $109 to send 38 lbs of ammo...wtf

Impala_Guy
June 18, 2019, 09:51
Why the hell is it that EVERYTIME I sell a handgun or offer free shipping, someone in a far corner of Oregon or Washington state gets a hard on for my stuff?

TenTea
June 18, 2019, 10:30
Why the hell is it that EVERYTIME I sell a handgun or offer free shipping, someone in a far corner of Oregon or Washington state gets a hard on for my stuff?

"Mr. Murphy, I'd like you to meet Mr. Impala_Guy."

yellowhand
June 18, 2019, 10:53
It takes a lot of horses to haul freight over the Rockies,;),,just be happy we already played cowboys and indians out this way!:rofl:

At least the boxes make it most days.:whistling:

2barearms
June 18, 2019, 13:12
I shipped a FAL to Montana recently and it was over 70.00
fedex ground. Everything has gone up. The post office is
outrageous too....welcome to the Big Brother Economy....

Impala_Guy
June 18, 2019, 14:32
I shipped a FAL to Montana recently and it was over 70.00
fedex ground. Everything has gone up. The post office is
outrageous too....welcome to the Big Brother Economy....

The Post Office is all over the place on long guns. Sometimes it costs me $42 to ship one a couple states over, sometimes it costs me $24 to ship it across the country. I use the same Cameron 5" x 10" x 52" boxes and sleeves whenever I ship.:facepalm:

hagar
June 18, 2019, 15:55
Been using UPS after FedEx charged me $56 for a K31. Shipped a Fal today for $30, and it was a big package, with one original Springfield Armory box inside a bigger box, 16 pounds total weight.

Flypaper
June 18, 2019, 16:03
Iíve found that FAL parts kits fit in a large flat rate box. The cardboard is kind of flimsy so I put a box inside of a box and it works as a cushion along with keeping the outer box rigid. Otherwise, it would pretty much double the price of shipping going out to the west coast or Alaska.

jhend170
June 19, 2019, 09:46
Yeah if shipping ammo (or components) your best bet is likely a couple of USPS flat rate boxes. Put the ammo (if loose) in something they cant escape like a burlap bag or even an old pillow case, seal it, put it in the box, and tape the ever-loving dog $#!+ out of it. I've also used a couple of layers of garden trash bags as they are quite tough but cheap, and do a good job of keeping things in even if the box splits.

auggiedoggie
June 19, 2019, 11:01
Yeah if shipping ammo (or components) your best bet is likely a couple of USPS flat rate boxes. Put the ammo (if loose) in something they cant escape like a burlap bag or even an old pillow case, seal it, put it in the box, and tape the ever-loving dog $#!+ out of it. I've also used a couple of layers of garden trash bags as they are quite tough but cheap, and do a good job of keeping things in even if the box splits.

Isn't that a good way to get locked up?

meltblown
June 19, 2019, 11:08
Isn't that a good way to get locked up?

Yep, I can see it. Flat rate box busts open and rounds spill out all over the place. Next a postal inspector is at your door with a warrant for your arrest. Some people like to live on the edge. Not me

Slaughter
June 19, 2019, 21:18
Problem is hazmat fees, labeling, etc.

Problem in NOT labeling is federal charges if crossing state lines.

hkshooter
June 19, 2019, 22:07
UPS wanted $160 to overnight a hand gun today.

Screw that.

auggiedoggie
June 20, 2019, 00:41
An FFL can ship a pistol USPS in a priority box for a fraction of 160.00. That's the only time I use a dealer to ship for me is when I ship a hand gun.