PDA

View Full Version : boresighting

Doubleagle
September 29, 2001, 01:48
I think I want to buy a boresighter. Has anyone out there used one? Are they worth it? Have any preference as to type, mechanical/laser?

EMDII
September 29, 2001, 03:07
NWAD on iron sights IMO. Collimator is good for scopes.

Laser boresighter is also OK for scopes.

Deltaten
September 29, 2001, 07:00
Doubleagle:

I find bore sighting to be useful in re-setting sights that have been moved; ie: replacing iron sights, fitting new rings/mounts. Mechanical/optical gadgets are not the end all-be all of the sighting system.

I have used the perennial Bushnell bore sighter, w/all the rods and collimator, and find that the Mk 1 eyeball is just as effective.

With the FAL ability to be "broken". bore sighting is just that! Block/rest the weapon on bench and sight thru the bore at a good reference point. Without moving or otherwise disturbing the weapon's placement, just shift your head up to bring the sights into focal plane. Adjust as necessary, repeating till it seems all's aligned.

It has been my experience that this method works as well, if not better (for me, at least), as the optical system. I can get on the paper faster, and have less adjusting to do after than w/the collimator types.

Nothing to lose, break, or fiddle with. The guys that fire the BIG guns used to call it "shooting the moon"

HTH,
Paul

fresca
September 29, 2001, 17:03
Ted, what the hell is "NWAD"?

dino1
September 29, 2001, 18:52
Not Worth A Damn.

Chief351
September 29, 2001, 19:23
Originally posted by Deltaten:
<STRONG>With the FAL ability to be "broken". bore sighting is just that! Block/rest the weapon on bench and sight thru the bore at a good reference point. Without moving or otherwise disturbing the weapon's placement, just shift your head up to bring the sights into focal plane.</STRONG>

I've been struggling with this, since when the FAL is "broken" the rear sights are not in alignment. Am I missing something here?

On my FAL I've been hassling with sight alignment and barrel timing. I'd like to be able to boresight it as a means to shop-verify timing. I've thought about trying to leave the top cover off and using a mirror to sight down the bore. Anybody done something like this?

I have a Century CETME, and with all their publicized trouble with shooting way off to one side (barrel/trunion/receiver alignment) I did boresight mine. It was easy. I just removed the stock and the bolt carrier/bolt. Sights still remained attached.

How to do this with a FAL has got me stumped!

303smle
September 29, 2001, 22:40
I use a .303 Vickers bore mirror to confirm barrel timing on my FALs. The neighbor's bird house about 70 yards away is a mark that is easy to see through the barrel.

Doubleagle
September 29, 2001, 23:44
Thanks for all the input folks. I will try some suggested methods unless I get into a lot of scope mounting

Deltaten
September 30, 2001, 06:29
OOoops, forgot that part! Ya gotta close the action, hence locking the bbl down on the bench/bags. Thanks chief351.
Paul

idsubgun
September 30, 2001, 07:25
Man, just go out and set up your target at 25 yds, shoot and see where they are hitting. Adjust sights fire again until hitting center of target.
Move target to 50 yards, and repeat. Then out to 100 yards and adjust as needed.
No rocket science here.