PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how to direct a search & rescue to your position ?

martin35
September 02, 2017, 08:27
Street addresses are usually the means for directing police to a specific place under normal conditions,,, in a flood street addresses are underwater, for all practical purposes street addresses during a flood are not visibly available.

Rescue boats and aircraft use Global Position indicators to navigate to a given place needing rescue,,, knowing exactly where they are going speeds up a rescue.

Knowing and storing your exact latitude and longitude coordinates could save your life when time is of the essence,,, you can't be too prepared when the power is out and you are treading water.

Google Earth can provide thpse coordinates if you don't know them now.

Texgunner
September 02, 2017, 10:48
Good idea! :smile:

cotter
September 02, 2017, 12:09
Popping smoke to mark the LZ now. Also distance and direction from known land monument works.

yellowhand
September 02, 2017, 14:29
I prefer the tried and true method, get on my roof and shoot off a string of red tracers when any aircraft is in the area, then sit back and wait for the resulting airstrike to arrive, oh, never mind, :facepalm: forgot, this is a rescue thingy, get confused now a days.:D

I bought one of those nos Polish flare 26 mm guns a few years back and found a place that had the military flares, parachute flares, star clusters, etc.
Damn things works, even got some smoke flares that do well to mark targets, there I go a again, mark areas.:D

Randall
September 02, 2017, 15:09
Portable Marine UHF radio doesnt' hurt. Many have built in GPS. I know mine does.

martin35
September 02, 2017, 15:52
I prefer the tried and true method, get on my roof and shoot off a string of red tracers when any aircraft is in the area, then sit back and wait for the resulting airstrike to arrive, oh, never mind, :facepalm: forgot, this is a rescue thingy, get confused now a days.:D

I bought one of those nos Polish flare 26 mm guns a few years back and found a place that had the military flares, parachute flares, star clusters, etc.
Damn things works, even got some smoke flares that do well to mark targets, there I go a again, mark areas.:DDo you know a place that sells easy to wash off night patrol blackface ?

yellowhand
September 02, 2017, 16:13
Do you know a place that sells easy to wash off night patrol blackface ?

I don't know right off hand, would ask Michael, but he's been hanging out with Elvis, Ernest Tubb, and Hank Williams Sr. for a spell now.:biggrin:

slavicshooter
September 02, 2017, 17:54
I have found that flailing my arms and screaming like a bee-atch is fairly effective. ~ss
:woo::woo::woo::omgonoz::omgonoz:

meltblown
September 02, 2017, 18:44
damn son. Sounds like you need to get back aways from the coast. Seems like in that part of Texas is better than the swamps of east Texas Then you don't have to worry too much about hurricanes and shit... just a cattle stampede and the cowboys coming in off the range thinking they are in the Navy.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xvZeYDBY4fw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

.Maybe ole Willy will stop by in his bus here. Never cared for his music. But I'll hang out in his big camper thing.

BTW. WTF is Lukenbach Texas? Is it close to hippie hollow?

Texgunner
September 02, 2017, 19:28
anonymous- "Just a few doobs and unlimited beer AND brisket, shit I'll be good. "

Now, there's an idea. And I'm not even that fond of beer...:smile:

meltblown
September 02, 2017, 19:30
"Just a few doobs and unlimited beer AND brisket, shit I'll be good. "

Yep must be nice to retire and live like Willy. Sumbitch will out live us all. :uhoh:

Texgunner
September 02, 2017, 19:32
Willie for president...of Texas.:biggrin:

Better hurry though!

yellowhand
September 02, 2017, 19:32
anonymous- "Just a few doobs and unlimited beer AND brisket, shit I'll be good. "

Not enough doobs?????:biggrin:

For ya eye's of course.;)

meltblown
September 02, 2017, 19:38
Not enough doobs?????:biggrin:

For ya eye's of course.;)

Iffin I was Willie hell yeah. :beer: That tour bus shit looks fun too. 55 year old groupies may be cool too

Texgunner
September 02, 2017, 19:39
That damned ol' glaucoma. The pressure's getting bad!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CRSwjhYmAY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Texgunner
September 02, 2017, 19:42
Hey, did someone mention "brisket"? Hell yayuh!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/july4_2008-barbq.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texgunner/media/july4_2008-barbq.jpg.html)

meltblown
September 02, 2017, 19:56
Damn son. Nice. :beer: Wife went to Houston. Eating left over tacos from the McCormick mix.

yellowhand
September 02, 2017, 20:04
Hey, did someone mention "brisket"? Hell yayuh!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/july4_2008-barbq.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texgunner/media/july4_2008-barbq.jpg.html)

That's just some cold shit, as I wait for the pot pie to cook in tha microwave!:facepalm:

Looks like some fine eating, what's ya address again????:biggrin:

meltblown
September 02, 2017, 20:04
Speaking of doobs I live about 10 miles from it. Not a lot of hot teachers or preachers. But a few gas stations. Actually I dont think they have a Whataburger. Does Lukenbach have a DQ and Sonic? I like to dine in sometimes.

Didnt see Asian either.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DTCyO9MpGUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RG Coburn
September 02, 2017, 20:13
Street addresses are usually the means for directing police to a specific place under normal conditions,,, in a flood street addresses are underwater, for all practical purposes street addresses during a flood are not visibly available.

Rescue boats and aircraft use Global Position indicators to navigate to a given place needing rescue,,, knowing exactly where they are going speeds up a rescue.

Knowing and storing your exact latitude and longitude coordinates could save your life when time is of the essence,,, you can't be too prepared when the power is out and you are treading water.

Google Earth can provide thpse coordinates if you don't know them now.

So how are you contacting rescue people? With landline? Cellphone? Big assumption there,thinking phones will still work. Someone mentioned a marine band handheld. Would work for the non-ham.

meltblown
September 02, 2017, 20:30
So how are you contacting rescue people? With landline? Cellphone? Big assumption there,thinking phones will still work. Someone mentioned a marine band handheld. Would work for the non-ham.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z_oB6yOmKqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Texgunner
September 02, 2017, 20:33
Damn son. Nice. :beer: Wife went to Houston. Eating left over tacos from the McCormick mix.

Thanks, it tasted better than it looks actually, from July 4 2008.:smile:

That's just some cold shit, as I wait for the pot pie to cook in tha microwave!:facepalm:

Looks like some fine eating, what's ya address again????:biggrin:

And thank you sir! PM for details...I'm counting on that kinda brisket gettin' me into Huey's compound when the shit hits the fan! :rofl:

Abominog
September 02, 2017, 21:00
I assumed most Filers have a GPS at home. I'm not at home but know the Lat/ long position of where I am now without looking at a gps or chart. And I know the magnetic deflection. As far as home goes "on the hill" should suffice but who would I call? I'm always the jerk that volunteers to go save people when tenth responders can't.

Nomad, 2nd
September 03, 2017, 01:08
This past spring I rolled my truck going down the 4x4 "road" to my offgrid home. I let myself out the seat belt and while standing in my on its side truck called my FD Lt. Told him I rolled it a mile from my house.

He called one of the guys who works for the wrecker, I called a buddy with his tractor, and said "hi steve, it's a single car accident" when the cop got there. (After the rest of the guys)

Last Sunday I gave away a bushel of pears I picked at church.
Tomorrow I'm giving away another 1/2 bushel and a bushel and a half of apples.

I'm not a "mover-inner" anymore. I'm a local.

Work it.