PDA

View Full Version : Parenting reality

Slaughter
August 12, 2017, 23:36
Buddy of mine has a firstborn now turning 3. Sent me this:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20729238_949229025217393_3717902893777219162_n.jpg ?oh=74c8076e6c1241441cc163e91d335070&oe=5A393C4F

HD-Ghost
August 13, 2017, 06:10
Mine just called to wish me a happy birthday. Yea, it is a tough job; and the most important.

gunshack
August 13, 2017, 10:17
Buddy of mine has a firstborn now turning 3. Sent me this:

The sad part is that your buddy (and the couple in the photo) probably don't realize it's about as easy as it gets when the youngsters are still in diapers. As the physical labor lessens the real "work" of parenting increases.

Texgunner
August 13, 2017, 10:26
As the physical labor lessens the real "work" of parenting increases.

So true. One of my grandsons turned 3 on Friday. His parents hosted a party for him at their home. Oh boy, 15 or so three year-olds, and a lot of parents for two hours!! Yeah, it got loud but it turned out great.

I've told a lot of younger parents to just wait. When the kids start driving, that's when your worries really start. Many, many rewards come from being a parent but it's not an easy job when done well. But being a proud grandad? Priceless. :D

C2A1
August 13, 2017, 11:15
My son heads off to college next Friday. Made eagle, flies gliders, into older cars,asking to go shooting before he leaves. Has scholarships so dad is out only $3K/yr (but he is after a co-op job). He will get his degrees in Computer Engineering and Mathematics. After the age of two, I don't think a day passed where he didn't make me laugh. I didn't want children and almost got away with it until 44. So far he has been good (I only hope he can fly straight and doesn't find a looney women to soon.) I'll miss him, actually.

John A
August 13, 2017, 13:14
Just wait until the teenage years.

And then when they're grown, they still find ways to keep you up at night.

My son and his GF gave me one of these shirts the other day when they told me that I'm going to be a Pappaw again.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Best-Promoted-Grandpa-T-Shirt/dp/B00NB2HZEI

Invictus77
August 13, 2017, 14:34
Having your own young kids is but a fleeting moment in your life.

Don't miss out on the good stuff which is 90% of the experience. The other 10% is certainly often challenging, but there is a lot of satisfaction to standing up to that part too.

If you embrace it as a privilege and a duty to do well, it pays huge dividends and can bring a lifetime of pleasure.

This is best done with a great life partner for a wife, but that is not required. You can get it done all by yourself, in spite of missing that piece, which I see every day with one of my own boys and his kids.

Don't miss the boat in raising your children folks. Embrace the opportunity our great and mighty God has given you.

Do it selflessly and happily. The ROI is tremendous.....

PS - No YMMV here. On this one, your mileage will not vary.

4x401
August 13, 2017, 19:14
Newborn - 10 = easy. Anyone bitching about that time frame shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

10 - 18 = Real life living, loving, heart wrenching times helping them grow and develop into worthwhile human beings. Worth. Every. Damn. Minute. Spent.

We have to 2 productive, responsible, caring, daughters to show for all the so called "Hard times"....

I have a secret, it really wasn't that hard....:facepalm:

ETA...

Really no secret, but the fact is that shitty, lazy parents, raise shitty, lazy kids....:wink:

justashooter
August 14, 2017, 11:24
best job I ever had. the pay is sporadic, and the hazards great, but life is not about tangible rewards.

chet
August 14, 2017, 12:33
Newborn - 10 = easy. Anyone bitching about that time frame shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

10 - 18 = Real life living, loving, heart wrenching times helping them grow and develop into worthwhile human beings. Worth. Every. Damn. Minute. Spent.

We have to 2 productive, responsible, caring, daughters to show for all the so called "Hard times"....

ETA...

Really no secret, but the fact is that shitty, lazy parents, raise shitty, lazy kids....:wink:

DITTO. We have 3 and they are almost exactly 2 years apart each.

When they were 0-2-4, it took a boatload of time and effort to handle the squad. By ages 5-7-9, they were on autopilot and the oldest was accompanying me on multi week hunting trips. When they hit double digits, my wife took a job at the local HS because she had additional bandwidth she wanted to fill working with kids who dont have what our kids have. Not surprisingly, she builds relationships with kids that lack two parents that care about them. There are hundreds of them that pass through the doors every year. Her "bad parent" stories are utterly appalling.

It's not that kids with two loving, capable parents dont do dumb stuff. It's what happens AFTER they do dumb stuff that is so different.

But, I think both of us are secretly dreading the empty nest phase. The wife may dig a swimming pool or something to work off the energy.

jimmbob
August 14, 2017, 14:03
parenting, too bad 90% of people with kids nowadays have absolutely NO idea what that word is all about(I live close to Seattle on the left coast:wink:).

Sad for the kids, it's not their fault. Luckily some of them prevail later in life no thanks to their parents.

gunshack
August 14, 2017, 21:33

ETA...

I used to think raising daughters (3) would be difficult. Yeah, the teen-aged years were full of drama and hissy fits... (and apparently so are their 20's :rofl: But I digress.) My girls were very well behaved, or they were smart enough to not get caught. All three are in college, doing very well, earning academic scholarships, and turning out to be their own people, good people. I just hope my middle daughter grows out of the SJW phase. :|

My 16 year old son, on the other hand. What a littlefuckingpunk! He got caught tagging the school last year, tagged my gamer name that I let him borrow. :mad: There are about 200 people in this podunk little town, and only 6 of them are teenage boys. Well guess what; three of the 6 are guilty, and it isn't rocket science to figure out which three.

Then a few months ago, I get up around 2am to take a leak, and for some strange reason I felt the need to check on him. Like I haven't done since who knows when. Well, he ain't in bed. I call his mother, he ain't at her house. I call him, he answers by saining "I'll be there in 5 minutes." My mind is racing; there are only three things that would have got me out of bed at 2am, even at 16: Trying to get drunk, trying to get hi, or trying to get shot by a 16yo girl's father. The answer is all three! The little shit is fast!

I wish he didn't take after me so much. :confused: