PDA

View Full Version : Oil change tricksters...

yovinny
August 08, 2017, 10:48
I've owned my 07' Tacoma since new and the oil change light (chk engin) has always blinked at starting for a few hundred miles before and come on full at 5k miles. As per Toyota's original setting and specs.
I've always changed oil myself and reset the oil light clock, except for the very last time around, when I found myself unprepared and without a place to do such.
No problem I figure, I'll just bring it into town and have it done, which I did using my filter.

Hardly 2 months go bye and my chk engin light comes on,,,so I figure I must have an issue,,but just for giggles, since the mileage is exactly 2k more than the sticker they put on my windshield, I do the oil life reset routine....And guess what, the light goes away..:uhoh:

All I can figure is the bastards somehow went into the computer programing and changed my oil life timer from 5k down to 2k and did away with the early warning flashing routine .... I swear, theirs a damn racket with everything...:redface:

Herr Walther
August 08, 2017, 10:58
That would take a very sophisticated OBD-II programmer to do that. In fact, they may not be able to do it at all without proprietary programming from Toyota.

SAFN49
August 08, 2017, 11:00
Not all of them are on a "CLOCK" anymore. They are now computer programs that determine when the oil will need to be changed based on RPM, engine temp, and a bunch of other factors. I doubt they reprogrammed your computer.
Most GM's are around 8500 miles in between oil changes.

Zimm
August 08, 2017, 11:01
Are you sure they changed it?
I've had them not reset mine before also

meltblown
August 08, 2017, 11:39
Weirdness thing happened to me. I took my car to the Infinti place to get a partial tranny fluid replacement. They were trying to sell me a set of tires. I pulled out and not more than 10 miles down the road I'm getting a low tire reading. Tire pressures are fine. Don't know WTF is going on or which sensor.

Bought a set last week from pep boys and they didn't check it out. So still have a sensor malfunction. Wish I could figure out what one and why.

SAFN49
August 08, 2017, 11:58
Weirdness thing happened to me. I took my car to the Infinti place to get a partial tranny fluid replacement. They were trying to sell me a set of tires. I pulled out and not more than 10 miles down the road I'm getting a low tire reading. Tire pressures are fine. Don't know WTF is going on or which sensor.

Bought a set last week from pep boys and they didn't check it out. So still have a sensor malfunction. Wish I could figure out what one and why.

I get weird TPMS sensor readings sometime. Once I came out of work started the car and the left rear said 113 psi. It went back to normal by it's self.
I did take it in and they checked the sensors and the battery life in the sensors with a handheld tool they pressed up against the sidewall and said everything was fine.

meltblown
August 08, 2017, 12:14
I get weird TPMS sensor readings sometime. Once I came out of work started the car and the left rear said 113 psi. It went back to normal by it's self.
I did take it in and they checked the sensors and the battery life in the sensors with a handheld tool they pressed up against the sidewall and said everything was fine.

SO there's a battery in the damn things? I'm pretty pissed of with Pep Boys.

jhend170
August 08, 2017, 13:07
There is an algorithm that determines oil life based on duty cycles of the engine. Drive the $#!+ out of a vehicle the duty cycles rack up and the oil change frequency goes up. Normally driving on the freeway but find yourself around town a lot more? Frequency goes up. In a normally cool area but now it's 100 deg and you're using the air all the time where you normally didn't? Cycles go up.

There is actually very little to do with miles these days. My guess is your driving conditions changed, if only briefly, and so the computer spit out the need a bit sooner.

It IS rocket surgery!

justashooter
August 08, 2017, 13:15

TPS are little sensor and radio sending units clipped inside the rim by the valve stem buung. they have a typical battery life of 5-7 years and talk to receivers inside your fender well that are hard wired to your CPU. I am running a caddilac with rims that don't have TPS sending units. get a check pressure idiot light on startup but no other effect. if batteries die you would just get a light. TPS is supposed to be a compliance with MPG requirements.

SWOHFAL
August 08, 2017, 21:01

Yep - good only about five years. Had a buddy who worked for Pep Boys between jobs as a service writer and he advises everyone to stay far, far away from them - poor service; mostly unqualified help; old, mistreated equipment; junk parts and high pressure tactics. They probably don't have a scanner for the tires.

SWOHFAL
August 08, 2017, 21:07
TPS are little sensor and radio sending units clipped inside the rim by the valve stem buung. they have a typical battery life of 5-7 years and talk to receivers inside your fender well that are hard wired to your CPU. I am running a caddilac with rims that don't have TPS sending units. get a check pressure idiot light on startup but no other effect. if batteries die you would just get a light. TPS is supposed to be a compliance with MPG requirements.

Some folks buy a small extra spare and stick all the TPMS units inside and run standard valve stems now that they have been fooled. Honda uses the ABS sensors to determine if the pressure is down - not as accurate, but you'd have to be an idiot to not see an issue when you get out and check around the vehicle.

GM made it too complicated with having sensors that have location IDs that need to be reset and specific PSI readings. I also don't have to pay $80-$100 each to replace them and have to go to the dealer to get the replacements programmed like Toyota makes you do with a minimum one hour labor charge.

yovinny
August 09, 2017, 06:05
Well,,I'll defer to the more knowledgeable,,at least for now.
While newer trucks might use a different basis, this 07' has been strictly a 5k clock for the last 10 years...I cant Imagine it all of a sudden changed on its own.
I know I reset it within 20mi of 2k more than the sticker on the windshield.
If it goes of again in exactly another 2k,,,,They and I will be having a conflict...