PDA

View Full Version : Doc and FiFi In Formation!

medicmike
July 30, 2017, 20:24
Wow....this is amazing....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AsZ-lqjzBUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

toys
July 30, 2017, 21:55
If you have a chance go on one.

12v71
July 30, 2017, 21:57
Wow. I wonder how much gas was burned in that 7 minutes.

55bird
July 31, 2017, 16:57
That was great stuff1 I contemplated going but had other priorities this year. I wonder what a ride cost? They were getting $700+ for a B-17 ride at the SunNFun so I am sure it's a lot higher.

hkshooter
July 31, 2017, 17:45
Gives me goose bumps.

J. Armstrong
July 31, 2017, 18:10
Wow. I wonder how much gas was burned in that 7 minutes.

Well, purely a guess, but at takeoff power, each engine is probably burning 140 - 150 gallons an hour more or less. I'll bet "economy cruise" is still pretty close to 100 gal/hr per.

I'm just amateur guessing at those numbers based upon the fuel consumption of a Merlin. which is about 120 gal/hr at takeoff power, IIRC about 80 at cruise. Stoney, Ex or Crofton could give a much more professional estimate.

Shoots High
July 31, 2017, 19:20
I was at Oshkosh Sat. and saw them fly.

Invictus77
July 31, 2017, 19:25
Wow that is a lot of fuel and much higher than I would have guessed. I realize this is an apples-to-oranges comparison, but a CAT 793 mining truck has a 2,500+HP diesel engine with a burn rate about 32 or 34 gal/hr IIRC.

The 793 is not one of the big ultra-class trucks which would burn more, but it is a 240 ton payload truck and the one I am most familiar with.

SPEEDGUNNER
July 31, 2017, 20:03
Majestic. And when you consider the B-29 was state of the art for a heavy bomber at the time it is amazing how far aviation technology has progressed in 70 years.

croftonaviation
July 31, 2017, 20:06
Well, purely a guess, but at takeoff power, each engine is probably burning 140 - 150 gallons an hour more or less. I'll bet "economy cruise" is still pretty close to 100 gal/hr per.

I'm just amateur guessing at those numbers based upon the fuel consumption of a Merlin. which is about 120 gal/hr at takeoff power, IIRC about 80 at cruise. Stoney, Ex or Crofton could give a much more professional estimate.

I'll throw this out here. At takeoff power a 1830 (1200 hp) burns 150 gallons per hour. Economy cruise which is 50%, we burned 50 gallons per hour per engine.

As I understand it the number is around 90 gallons per hour, per engine in cruise for a R-2800 (2000 hp).

The 3350, is more efficient. But just interpolating data I would guess 130-150 per engine in cruise. Takeoff power I bet is around 4-500 GPH. Keep in mind they are probably doing reduced power takeoffs and are takeoff power for a very short time (less than 5 minutes). Even loaded we would takeoff at reduced power, set METO (max exept takeoff) at 500' above ground level, and pull it back to climb power 1000' above the ground. A wise pelican told me once it is much better to have 2 engines at 75% power, than one at 100.

Hope that helps

Tom

hkshooter
July 31, 2017, 20:15
In WWII, flying the Hump, didn't they say they'd burn three gallons of fuel for every gallon they off loaded?

Guy I used to know had a hopped up 1340 on a quasi NA50. Said it made around 875 HP. Once told me it burned 90 gph "when messing around", meaning hot rodding it a little. I never questioned him, his plane, not mine. The wings were shortened three feet and entire airframe was flush riveted.

croftonaviation
July 31, 2017, 20:24
In WWII, flying the Hump, didn't they say they'd burn three gallons of fuel for every gallon they off loaded?

Guy I used to know had a hopped up 1340 on a quasi NA50. Said it made around 875 HP. Once told me it burned 90 gph "when messing around", meaning hot rodding it a little. I never questioned him, his plane, not mine. The wings were shortened three feet and entire airframe was flush riveted.

That's the number I have heard as well for the hump. It was clear pretty quickly that b-29 ops from China were not going to be effective. A lot easier to dock a tanker at an island.

Can't speak for your friends 1340. Stock they are around 600hp. I flew its little brother the 985 in the twin beech. Cruise was around 22-23 GPH. The 985 was 450 hp and we cruised around 55%. I would think balls out, screwing around 90gph is not far off the mark for your friends engine.

Impala_Guy
July 31, 2017, 20:35
Imagine forming up 70 or 80 of these and flying thousands of miles across the ocean......

J. Armstrong
July 31, 2017, 21:22
Sounds like I was way low on the consumption numbers :D I

I've seen NA 64 replicas and maybe even Hks friends NA50 - in any event the ones I am aware of had geared R1340s rather than direct drive like a T6. Don't know that that has any bearing on the power rating, but it sure seems like it would be a lot more efficient than the more common direct drive 1340s.

Now we are in Stoney's territory ;)

toys
July 31, 2017, 21:57
That was great stuff1 I contemplated going but had other priorities this year. I wonder what a ride cost? They were getting $700+ for a B-17 ride at the SunNFun so I am sure it's a lot higher.

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/b-29-superfortress

more than the B17 cost..

i wanted to go, but i gave my dad a surprise b-day present and sent him to Boise. My bro lives there and Fifi was going to be there too. So i told my dad he had to go to Boise to collect. Also, told my bro, he had a ride too.

i tried to get one a bombardier seat for my dad , but they were all spoken for for several stops. Also, you can not move out of that position, so the back is better to move about.

12v71
July 31, 2017, 23:26
Imagine forming up 70 or 80 of these and flying thousands of miles across the ocean......

Imagine buying the gas for that. :facepalm:

BiGB808
August 01, 2017, 18:20
few years back FiFi flew into town. I showed up before public tours the next day and gave some cash for a tour inside. The guy said have at it. I crawled through the tube...sat in captains chair, sat in the central fire control seat and sat in the tail gunners seat.

Most excellent. I hAVE FLOWN IN THE B24 AND 17. tEH B-29 IS LIKe AN ALIEN FUTURE SHIP COMPARED TO THOSE other tow. Freaking sweeeet

Stoney
August 02, 2017, 00:31
I regret that I didn't get to fly Fertile Myrtle in 1979, flight was cancelled from Koak to George AFB because of WX. I was to get the left seat.

medicmike
August 02, 2017, 09:37
I regret that I didn't get to fly Fertile Myrtle in 1979, flight was cancelled from Koak to George AFB because of WX. I was to get the left seat.

When my dad was a radio operator on a B 29 he said his Captain made sure everyone on the bird rotated into the cockpit and got right seat time on a regular basis. Since he was already a private pilot at that time he said he got to fly it quite a bit, not sure how many hours but I would bet money he still has the logbooks.

Here is a shot of his bird

Also notice that these B 29's have been modified.....gun turrets removed, tail gun position was left intact and manned, bomb bays were modified to carry and air drop cargo and occasionally troops.

http://i.imgur.com/7rXdGFy.jpg

Herr Walther
August 02, 2017, 10:44
Rich man's toy for certain and I'm glad they have the money to keep this aviation history flying.

I'd love a ride in one, but at that price I'd better get the right seat. :)

J. Armstrong
August 02, 2017, 14:45
When my dad was a radio operator on a B 29 he said his Captain made sure everyone on the bird rotated into the cockpit and got right seat time on a regular basis. Since he was already a private pilot at that time he said he got to fly it quite a bit, not sure how many hours but I would bet money he still has the logbooks.

Here is a shot of his bird

Also notice that these B 29's have been modified.....gun turrets removed, tail gun position was left intact and manned, bomb bays were modified to carry and air drop cargo and occasionally troops.

http://i.imgur.com/7rXdGFy.jpg

VERY cool !!!!:bow:

medicmike
August 02, 2017, 20:47
VERY cool !!!!:bow:

He has some great stories....The 580th was a "Spook Squadron" flying behind the iron curtain. He tells that on return from missions over E. Germany that they would drop down to about 500 AGL and follow the Autobahn across W. Germany. I could imagine the racket and exhaust flames ripping over the top of some guy in a Porsche at 0300.

He said that they hauled leaflets, cash, gold, guns, food, spec op guys and anything else that needed to be covertly delivered. It was actually quite recently that he has opened up about his AF days. When I sent him that video he said that the Ramrod behind Doc was also an old Air Resupply and Communications guy and he knows him from their reunions.

J. Armstrong
August 03, 2017, 07:13
I love to hear the "been there, done that" stories associated with these old birds. After all, that's what it was all about ! Brings the old girls back to life, and in turn keeps the experiences of past generations alive and in our memories.

Thx for posting :beer: