PDA

View Full Version : Philippine travel question(s)

Oz308
July 24, 2017, 03:49
Hey Guys-

Was wondering about some travel stuff for a friend in the PH. Got to visit them years ago.

Been wondering, why it seems practically impossible for them to visit the US?
It almost seems like they are a prisoner in their own country. They do have some relatives here, but it seems to make no difference, they've always been told 'no'. No criminality, etc...just an average working person.

It's odd, they can be sent on a work-related trip to HK, SG, perhaps even Australia, but not the US.

Anybody on here have any experience with this, with some facts as to why this seems to always be going on? I can't seem to get any straight, factual, info on this...lots of 'stories', but no concrete info.

Just thought maybe someone on here might know something.

Thank You.

martin35
July 24, 2017, 14:34
It's the work of the immigrant Vietnamese lobby.

meltblown
July 24, 2017, 15:13
They must be rejecting them at the US consulate. IIRC you have to actually go to the consulate for an interview to get a visa. I don't understand since it was a former territory.

US citizens are permitted a visa up arrival for 21 days and you have to show an outbound reservation that you will be leaving.

I was in Manila waiting on a flight with my wife. There was a guy who had a visa for some country. The guy in immigration denied his passage to leave after he already bought a ticket. He looked like he was gey and wife could understand him yelling that 'he was not a whore'

It's ok to flood the country with Middle easterners and mexicans.

Here's an interesting article that explains it. I guess with it being a 2nd world country that there are many who come over and don't leave.

http://philfaqs.com/can-my-philippine-friend-visit-me-in-the-usa/

gunshack
July 24, 2017, 19:34
I have family in the middle east... If they got a visa to come the US for a visit, a temporary job, an education, whateverthefuckingreason... They wouldn't go back...

Would you?

Black Blade
July 24, 2017, 22:41
Thanks, forwarded this article to my brother who lives in the PI with his Filipina wife. She was not allowed an emergency Visa to our dad's funeral even though they have been married for a time and have family in the PI. Should have gone to Mexico and come across illegally (would have been easier). They will try for a visitor Visa next year.

gentlemanjoe
July 24, 2017, 23:35
I lived there for over a decade. The reason the Embassy always denies their tourist visa and most time fiance visas is that they will not depart the US on the approved date. They refer to it as "tago ng tago" which roughly translates as "always hiding"

Historically once they or most other poor nations set their feet on the ground in the US they avoid Immigration at all cost and in most cases get pregnant and become wards of the state.:whistling:

Oz308
July 26, 2017, 05:04
....interesting.

Thank you for the responses, it's appreciated.

You'd think with a round trip ticket, that wouldn't be a problem. Didn't realize so many came here and just disappeared. Guess they just eat the cash.

And yeah, after seeing some really disturbing things in the PH, guess I'd start trying to swim or build a tin can boat, too. I saw some amazing scenery, people were pretty nice, but some other stuff was rather heartbreaking.

An interesting point about flooding the US with 'ME/Mex/'OTM's'. Guess the ptb have to stock up on new constituents, since this last go-around seems to have been a slap in the face to them with Helldabeast's defeat.

Have known this family for years, no funny business, the relatives that came here years ago did it all proper- they became citizens. You'd think with the long standing relationship between US and PH, this wouldn't be so problematic.

Just really odd to me. Would have been nice to visit with them again, but on this side of the pond...was trying to describe snow to them, was hard to believe that there are folks who have never seen any in their life.

Thanks again for the insights. Damn, this sucks.

justashooter
July 26, 2017, 11:13
philipine and Chinese tend to come here and never leave. young, unmarried, less than spectacularly employed or propertied fail to leave in about 70% of visits, historically. because they have entered with a visa, they can adjust by marrying an American to a green card, and eventually become a citizen.