PDA

View Full Version : School Me on Tractors Please: Update

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 16:21
Well, I always come back for advice and believe me I don't ask idle questions and have followed through with much of the advice from here.

I want a tractor for the 5 acres. You can find a new 25 hp Kubota and Deere for about $20K with a loader, box blade and shredder. Yes I realize these are just above entry level with 4WD and larger tires than the entry level. You go above I think 27 HP you have to have the emissions canister cat coverter, so the price jumps disproportionately. For some reason It makes me think of when I would ride my Harley downtown in the summer.

So I'm looking on CL for used the past few months. I want 4WD and a loader. I want to push shit around and shred. Maybe a box blade, backhoe, and post hole digger down the road.

When I see used tractors without the front end loader, I wonder what the cost is to add one. Seems the loaders are not cheap and easily run around $4K. So I find a used 30+ HP tractor, a step or 2 up from the new 25 and wonder what is the deal with a loader? Are they model specific? There are some good deals on Ford tractors, so where would you find a loader? I'm trying to save money but it seems that it's like everything else that buying the pieces separate starts running the cost. TIA.

Invictus77
July 13, 2017, 16:44
Well, I always come back for advice and believe me I don't ask idle questions and have followed through with much of the advice from here.

I want a tractor for the 5 acres. You can find a new 25 hp Kubota and Deere for about $20K with a loader, box blade and shredder. Yes I realize these are just above entry level with 4WD and larger tires than the entry level. You go above I think 27 HP you have to have the emissions canister cat coverter, so the price jumps disproportionately. For some reason It makes me think of when I would ride my Harley downtown in the summer.

So I'm looking on CL for used the past few months. I want 4WD and a loader. I want to push shit around and shred. Maybe a box blade, backhoe, and post hole digger down the road.

When I see used tractors without the front end loader, I wonder what the cost is to add one. Seems the loaders are not cheap and easily run around $4K. So I find a used 30+ HP tractor, a step or 2 up from the new 25 and wonder what is the deal with a loader? Are they model specific? There are some good deals on Ford tractors, so where would you find a loader? I'm trying to save money but it seems that it's like everything else that buying the pieces separate starts running the cost. TIA.

You will not go wrong with the new 25hp Kubota or the JD set up like you described. Front loader definitely. 4WD maybe. The only variable I see in what you posted is the "maybe backhoe", which for 5 acres IMHO is a waste of money unless you have a very specific need. You can rent one cheap if the need arises.

Used tractors and pieced together tractors from different sources will have a gazillion variables. It can be fun if you are into tractors and can save some money, or cause headaches.

If you can afford the new Kubota or the JD for 5 acres, it will do everything you want (with proper maintenance) and will be handed off to your grandson or sold at auction when you are gone.

For reference, I live on a 32 acre horse/hay farm and 75% of what needs done there is done with a 25hp Ford 1710 with a front loader. The stuff it won't do, I rent or have done by others. I have a backhoe as well that has not been started in two years, barely used after the first two years I bought this place, and will be for sale as soon as I can get the time to get it started up again and advertised.

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 16:51
Shit I always thought you needed a backhoe for SHTF:uhoh::D Just an attachment. I do think the post hole thing would be good. I need to start fencing the place in.

What amazes me is there aren't any deals on the 25 HP Deere or Kubota used tractors. They're only cheaper buy about 15% with say 200 hours on them. Right now 0% financing 60 months. I think Deere has a better deal because Kubota wants you to buy their insurance for $25/month if you finance through them. Or maybe the sales guy is jacking me off. The Deere is only $320 for for the insurance to cover the property for the 60 months. The Kubota looks a little stouter. I felt no love for the Mahindra regarding the steel. After he said they were made in India, I said hell no.

NFADLR
July 13, 2017, 16:55
I have a case hoe and a 1942 2N ford, the Ford is for sale but the case ima need to bury the muzzies that come a callin.

The shredder fits on both the case and the 2N ford in case you need to shred anyone.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lXfitusZ9qY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Invictus77
July 13, 2017, 16:56
Shit I always thought you needed a backhoe for SHTF:uhoh::D

When the SHTF you won't need to bury the bodies :wink:

Post hole digger is a low cost, simple 3-point hitch attachment. No worries there if you have a need. I do have one of those too.

tdb59
July 13, 2017, 17:02
We use a JD770 on our 5 acres. Purchased used with 900 hours on it, and have used it for 13 years tilling, seeding, moving gravel, and of course...

http://i66.tinypic.com/4jn7du.jpg

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 17:19
We use a JD770 on our 5 acres. Purchased used with 900 hours on it, and have used it for 13 years tilling, seeding, moving gravel, and of course...

http://i66.tinypic.com/4jn7du.jpg

Yeah, that caught my eye in the other thread nice is it 20hp ...4wd? I wouldn't mind finding something used if it was take care of. I hope I never have to deal with snow that deep ever. You poor bastard.:rofl:

hardheaded
July 13, 2017, 17:54
You're on the right track 25-29 horse power front end loader and I suggest 4 wheel drive
Snoop around on tractor house too , you may have to travel a bit , but you can pull it home with a pick up and a uhaul car trailer
I bought a new 27 horse ford 1720 in 1992 ,it is so handy to have around I don't think I can live without it

No digging if SHTF , use the bones to build a psychologically terrifying fence , nothing says no trespassing any clearer

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 18:11
No digging if SHTF , use the bones to build a psychologically terrifying fence , nothing says no trespassing any clearer

Shit I was thinking you did it to bait the coons an pussums to come in closer.

Here's something that catches my eye. I've never worked on tractors though it's probably no different that a car with an external hydraulic system. Hell I can't find the damn spark plugs on a diesel.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/6207363029.html

Notice he won't take texts either at the bottom. Probably isn't keen on PP F&F either.

I'm just not wanting my 1st tractor to be like my 1st HD Sportster. Ain't got time for that shit or the patience.

Texgunner
July 13, 2017, 18:12
You might remember that I bought a new Kubota last Sept. It has really been handy to have and I've got about 45 hours on it now. I've been using the box-blade a good bit lately to move some dirt around and cover hog ruts. I'm about to change the oil and hook the shredder back up. I guess 47 hp is too much for 5 acres but the sales guys was sure right when he said no one ever comes in post-sale saying they wished they'd bought a smaller tractor. I'm working 32 acres of pasture with mine and see how I could use some sort of pull-behind sprayer now. You may find a clean used tractor just like you want if you're patient, or maybe one a little bigger. Good luck!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405411&highlight=Kubota

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 18:23
You may find a clean used tractor just like you want if you're patient, or maybe one a little bigger. Good luck!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405411&highlight=Kubota

Check post #2. That's a fine tractor and understand the pedigree. It's just a little rich for me cuz you don't find them. The loader is made much heavier than the ones I'm checking out. If I could find one used and not abused I would give $18500. That's a dream though. Thanks Tex

Sagerider
July 13, 2017, 18:26
I bought a used ford 34 hp two wheel drive 3000 diesel made in 1967 back in 1997 time frame, HUGE mistake, no loader either. The tractor engine was plum wore out as I found out later. I had it rebuilt to the tune of 6k, a few years later with a new clutch. I had to have one of the cylinders repaired due to a broken ring, most likely done on the first rebuild two years ago and a new injector pump. I replaced the rear pto shaft seal myself last month or so because it leaked from day one, this all cost another 6k.

$4,500.00 initial cost
$6,000.00 1st rebuild
$6,000.00 2nd rebuild

Total $16,500.00
It still needs new rubber yet. The steering box and front axle spindles are wore out, if you start turning the steering wheel on Tuesday morning the front wheels turn late Wednesday afternoon. :(

I should have bought a new 4 wheel drive John Deere or Kabota with a loader and been way ahead of the game.
If you think new tractors are expensive try a used one. :facepalm:

I use a blade, brush hog, post hole digger, a three point bucket and a ripper with it. The blade gets the bulk of the work and the brush hog next.

My 2 cents

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 18:31
$4,500.00 initial cost
$6,000.00 1st rebuild
$6,000.00 2nd rebuild

Total $16,500.00
It still needs new rubber yet. :

I should have bought a new John Deere or Kabota with a loader and been way ahead of the game.
If you think new tractors are expensive try a used one. :facepalm:

Yep sounds like the Sportster I bought in '83. Got it for $2300 spent $2300 on it and sold it for $2300. The same friend of mine with the Kubota still has it and put $18K in it through the years. Told him when he's gone I'll give him $2300 for it:wink:

Exit308
July 13, 2017, 18:33
I had a Kubota L2350 from 1993 until 2000 when she asked me to leave.:biggrin:

I believe it had 23 HP and it did everything I needed it to do. It had a front end loader and I had a box scraper. Both very handy. A buddy had a post hole drill that he loaned me. It was 4 wheel drive and had a manual tranny as opposed to a hydro.IIRC, it was about $11,000 all in. Kubota makes a good, sturdy machine.

The smaller B series tractors are very handy, but they are quite popular with landscaping companies so prolly hard to find a used one.

What is your land like?

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 18:55
What is your land like?

Sandy, like a beach in the woods. Lots of live oaks and will whack up the limbs and briars with the shredder. I hate briars. I will kill them.

I want to drive my tractor to the mail box 100 yds away. I want to run over stuff and push it up. I want to be boss of my land:tongue:

ALL FAL
July 13, 2017, 19:03
You missed out on a 25hp JD my folks had, Loader, tiller,Back Hoe, Low, Low hrs and sold for 7000.00

I'll keep an eye out for a deal for you if you would come north to get one.

I was given a Broken Kabota with a loader, worked on it 3 hrs and drove it onto the trailer,,,,, of the guy I sold it to, every body was happy. (yeah, I gave the poor lady a bit more X2 than she was offered for the Broken unit.)

slavicshooter
July 13, 2017, 20:31
". I want to run over stuff and push it up. I want to be boss of my land".~meltblown

Perhaps you need a log skidder.~ss:biggrin:

croftonaviation
July 13, 2017, 20:56
Both of those are great choices. As inviticus has said, don't witty about the backhoe. Any cat 0-1 post hole digger will fit and yes they are very handy if you plan on fencing. For the money difference I would go with the 4 X 4 option. If you are not running a loader, you don't need it but I have had two loader tractors they were just 2wd, and it sucks. Also don't fall into the mahindra trap. They are very good tractors but if your dealer sucks (most of them do) you are screwed.

Good luck

Tom

easttex
July 13, 2017, 21:01
The only problem with a 25hp Kubota is that it lacks the weight of a larger tractor. It thinks and acts like a larger tractor....and will likely do a lot more than you think it will, but it might come up a little short if you need to push, pick up, or haul a really heavy load. That's not really a limitation though; just take smaller bites.

I think a 25hp is probably about right for I envision you would do with it. 2WD vs 4WD is strictly up to you and how sloped or muddy your property is. A 4WD is really handy in the bottom lands of the Angelina River but I've never driven one in the Hill Country so I can't offer specific advice there. About the only thing I can tell you is that I'd take a Kubota over a John Deer every time. JD is Iike Harley in that they have a great brand with a huge following but they make a lot of money on parts. I think the name drives the price up a little bit. All my friends back home who farm all drive Kubotas. One guy ran a 30hp Ford plumb to death and bought a Kubota to replace it. He later told me he wished he'd bought a Kubota 20 yeas ago. I take that as quite an endorsement considering my friend's penchant for only buying American made product.

That's my $0.02. Just be safe. Tractors are like metal lathes; extremely useful and you'll be glad you got it but they're damned dangerous if you get complacent with them.

paulo
July 13, 2017, 21:15
I have a Kubota B2650 on 6 acres. Front loader, box scraper, rear blade and a front mount snowblower, handy little machine. 26 hp and under no emmision BS.
Like others have said watch CL or Tractorhouse.

meltblown
July 13, 2017, 21:26
That's my $0.02. Just be safe. Tractors are like metal lathes; extremely useful and you'll be glad you got it but they're damned dangerous if you get complacent with them.

yeah...nice I sold the C5 Vette and other stuff a few years ago..

Bug Tussell
July 14, 2017, 07:04
I bought a Kubota L2650 with factory front end loader off craiglist a few years ago. Without a doubt, the FEL is the most useful option available for my uses. My second most used tool is the bush hog with a scraper coming in a distant third.
I got to try out a used L3650 which is 10 more HP, 4 cylinder vs my 3 cylinder. It was beefier all around. Even the bucket on the FEL was made of thicker steel. My L2650 does everything I need on my 6 acres except for operate a tow behind sprayer - just not enough HP to the PTO. So I have to borrow a tractor to spray. Other than that it does fine for me.

Gazz
July 14, 2017, 07:44
Keep looking for used a Kubota, the deals are out there. After several years of looking, I stumbled upon a BX23 for sale just down the road only 8 years old and with low hours and I got it for about half the price of a new one - it did come with a backhoe. What I bought is smaller than I wanted but has been okay so far and for the price I couldn't lose. I would have liked something with a bit more reach and the capacity to lift more than 600lbs with the FEL. I needed (wanted) the tractor for landscaping, snow removal, and to move my junk around with. I have welded chain hooks to the bucket which makes it even more handier. I picked up some fork lift forks at the local scrapyard and have plans to attach them to the bucket (or maybe to the 3pt hitch) so that I can move pallets of firewood. The backhoe has been useful for digging a trench and for other hole digging tasks and is also handy as an "adjustable" counterweight. I am currently in the process of building a retaining wall with it using large granite foundation stones. I started the wall before I owned the tractor and tugged the stones around on a sled and moved them into place with pry bars and cribbing. Not anymore. Since I have owned it, I keep finding things to do with it that I previously would have done by hand or struggled with the garden tractor (heavy duty lawn mower), shovel and two wheel trailer.
I have had to replace a couple of hydraulic hoses and had those made up at NAPA.

chet
July 14, 2017, 07:45
HP on the ground is the only way to get work out of a tractor. You have two options - weight or 4x4. For a 25-35 hp tractor I would chose 4x4.
Mechanical transmissions have a higher net:gross HP ratio than hydrostatic transmissions meaning more of the engine HP is available to be transmitted to the ground as work. But, hydrostatic transmissions are very manueverable and convenient, especially for low hour users.
For John Deere - black chassis tractors are built in the US. The 25-35ish HP tractors are built in Georgia. The green chassis are built overseas. Both are very high quality but the black chassis tractors are generally built for consumer and small commercial landscapers. The green tractors from overseas are built for small (usually Asian) ag markets. Their transmission choices follow that logic.
The 3 cylinder Yanmar is an excellent engine.
When choosing size of the tractor, think of the size implements you want to run first. A 4 foot bush hog and box blade can be run with 20-25 net HP. 5 foot implements require 25-35 net. 6 foot required 40-50 net. Weight, tires, terrain, job and 4x4 make this an inexact but generally useful scale.
Consider the amount of time you spend on a potential job. If your time is limited, invest in features that will yield more time like quick connect implements, hydrostatic transmissions, and drive on loaders.
Consider buying the loader with the tractor as hydraulic connections and initial adjustments can be fickle and require a bit of knowledge to adjust. Consider buying everything else piecemeal and/or used. In the case of Deere, the implements have enormous markup on them.
If you anticipate using your tractor on your lawn, a rock driveway, and other landscaped areas, consider R4 tires as the "all terrain" option.

chet
July 14, 2017, 07:53
Forgot to add:

PTO backhoe attachments destroy small tractors. They lack the weight and chassis strength for digging and cant take the punishment that an actual backhoe can. Rent an actual backhoe as needed.
If you shop small used tractors, look at the grill, the hour meter and the amount of safety equipment that has been bypassed (like the seat safety) FIRST. If the hours are low but grill is hammered/pierced and the seat safety is bypassed, walk away. That is a man that takes careless short cuts with his equipment.
Look at the seat - low hours and cracked seats mean the thing has been parked in the sun and neglected. Another indication the person doesnt take care of their equipment.
For new tractors - once you know what you want, get the SKU numbers of the items and shop as many dealers as you can. If you have a 5th wheel gooseneck to go pick it up from a distant dealer too, you might save enough to buy an implement.

Douglas S Graham
July 14, 2017, 09:19
I have a Kubota with a mower deck and FEL. If you are going to mow, don't buy a manual trans. Trust me. Use the FEL quite a bit, works great. FWIW, my neighbor up the lane bought a JD for his horse farm (not a big farm), and after using mine once, regretted buying the JD. That's just news from him, I'm not bashing JD, almost bought one myself.
Mine has 26 HP, bought used with only 50 hours on it, was garage kept and looked brand new. Now has 260 hours , and I could probably sell it for close to what I paid for it, if I were inclined to do so. NEVER had it service for any reason, no problems. I do my own maintenance.

Just my .2 cents worth.

Texgunner
July 14, 2017, 09:21
I have a Kubota with a mower deck and FEL. If you are going to mow, don't buy a manual trans. Trust me.

I have the manual trans on my 4701 and haven't noticed any problems mowing with it. What issues are you having Douglas?

Douglas S Graham
July 14, 2017, 10:11
I think it's a whole lot easier to rock the control back and forth with one foot to go forward and reverse, that's all. Not dissing the stick shift versions, just my preference. :rofl:

chet
July 14, 2017, 11:34
It is easier to use but the trade off is HP on the ground/PTO.

Texgunner
July 14, 2017, 16:50
I think it's a whole lot easier to rock the control back and forth with one foot to go forward and reverse, that's all. Not dissing the stick shift versions, just my preference. :rofl:

Hey, it's no problem, I just thought maybe I was missing sumthin'. :D
Sales guy said the one real advantage of the HST over the manual shift was if one had a lot of dirt work to do. It would help with the repeated back and forth with no clutching or shifting of the shuttle.

He said they sold a lot more of the HST tractors simply because so many folks have never used a clutch these days. The HST is easier for them to get used to to. It also costs maybe $1500 more if I recall correctly. I put that money into the canopy...:wink:

Exit308
July 14, 2017, 17:20
I almost forgot the most important feature. Whatever you decide, don't forget that the difference between a good tractor and a great tractor, is the quality of the cupholder.

You want one that is gimballed, like on a sailboat, so that if you go over uneven terrain, you won't spill your drink.:wink:

Like this one.https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.VepREQsI_Y_uxbS8UhoSTgD6D6&w=215&h=215&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=2&pid=1.7

Invictus77
July 14, 2017, 17:26
I almost forgot the most important feature. Whatever you decide, don't forget that the difference between a good tractor and a great tractor, is the quality of the cupholder.

A good cup holder made to hang off of a saddle horn when trail riding horses will also work on a tractor fender or dashboard.

...or so I have been told anyway :whistling:

Texgunner
July 14, 2017, 17:55

You want one that is gimballed, like on a sailboat, so that if you go over uneven terrain, you won't spill your drink.:wink:

Oh shit.:uhoh: I only got the good tractor...great.:cry: Now, I need a cup-holder transplant! :biggrin:

meltblown
July 15, 2017, 11:33
Well after a months worth of consideration and all the research and taking the comments here into consideration, I have a JD 3025E 4wd with loader, box blade and shredder being delivered this afternoon. I really wanted the 32 HP model, but it goes up considerably along with the catalyst thingy that was told will be a service cost in the future. I'm hoping that 25 hp and 17 hp PTO will not be a disappointment. Out the door delivered price was $17500 after negotiating for a couple of days. 72 months no interest financing. :whistling:

Texgunner
July 15, 2017, 11:45
Sounds like you're good to go now melt! Now, get to work. :D

ALL FAL
July 16, 2017, 03:04

Like this one.https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.VepREQsI_Y_uxbS8UhoSTgD6D6&w=215&h=215&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=2&pid=1.7

Have you ever noticed the amount of backhoe drivers that have a cooler of beer close at hand? They drive those hoe's everywhere,,,, after they lose their license.. :biggrin:

Yep, those Cup holders should be Mandatory.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
July 16, 2017, 07:35
Dad in Law has a red and grey 1950s Massey 35 with all the attachments.
He's a holy terror on that thing, and spends his free time cutting retirees lawns, etc.

I give it a good tune up every year, but other than that, it just keeps going.

fnogger
July 16, 2017, 12:01
Embrace your inner 1%er

http://www.farmcollector.com/-/media/Images/FCM/Editorial/Blogs/Looking-Back/Porsche-Touch-Extended-to-Tractors/Porsche-Junior.jpg?w=550&la=en&hash=4AE1B8FD731AFB5FB51258373BD10B13790C784A

http://www.coys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/cars/auto-draft/44_255_01.jpg

Texgunner
July 16, 2017, 12:26
Porsche's devotion to streamlining is evident even in their tractors. Sadly enough, I couldn't afford even tractors from those marques.:sad:

meltblown
July 22, 2017, 16:54
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3HLkw6LyDb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's pretty cool. She ain't ;):D

12v71
July 22, 2017, 17:02
Porsche's devotion to streamlining is evident even in their tractors. Sadly enough, I couldn't afford even tractors from those marques.:sad:

A local truck shop has a Porsche tractor that looks very much like that one. Air cooled Diesel that is somewhere between a Deutz diesel and an old VW bug engine. They use it for dragging dead trucks around I asked the owner where he got it, "It was cheap at some farm auction" was his reply.

meltblown
July 22, 2017, 18:51
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YcBOcwgb4OA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>