PDA

View Full Version : My Mother Has Balls!

TenTea
July 12, 2017, 05:45
Great Balls of Fire! or Crying out to Saint Elmo! :biggrin:

So, her house was recently in the midst of a yuge lightning storm and there was the proverbial crack. Lights flickered, lo and behold, there was a brilliant orange ball of lightning hovering in her dining room. She describes it as 5 foot off the floor and maybe 8 foot from any exterior wall with a diameter of 8 inches and lasting a scant few seconds...also an ozone smell.

They think the *energy* came down a fireplace chimney and entered the house. It's a nice house and the lightning blew out $8000 worth of electronics and appliances but did not start a fire. *We would have lost only the Atari Game Console (Pong) at our ranch, lol! The lightning strike put a hole in the chimney cap, blew a piece of siding off (burned) and other damage such as that. They were happy with their insurance coverage (Auto Owners?) and got paid for repairs immediately.

There is a ton of stuff on the web about ball lightning and they claim to created it in a lab in twenty fourteen. Youtube has videos which claim to capture the phenomenon too. Enjoy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

https://c479107.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/17061/width668/qd4wq8tr-1351571455.jpg

Bubacus
July 12, 2017, 06:06
Yikes:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dd5OFepENrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

J. Armstrong
July 12, 2017, 07:14
Wow !!! Amazing experience !!

TenTea
July 12, 2017, 07:26
Wow !!! Amazing experience !!

She found a fellow in IL who studies the ball lightning phenomenon and gave him her eye witness *report* for his research archive. Likely a once in a lifetime experience, I would think. :cool:

MordeanGrey
July 12, 2017, 07:57
I've seen it in person inside a large metal shed during a heavy thunderstorm while working at my high school summer job in the mid-1980s.

It was about the size of a basketball and lasted just a second or two.

Definitely gets your attention!

itachi5107
July 12, 2017, 08:48
you should make a costume for your money, i think should got a super hero power. :biggrin:

Zimm
July 12, 2017, 08:54
I thought this thread was from bummers kids:D

TenTea
July 12, 2017, 08:56
you should make a costume for your money, i think should got a super hero power. :biggrin:

{super hero power} AWAY WITH YOU! {/super hero power}

gunseller
July 12, 2017, 09:25
Wife and I had this happen three time one year back in the 80s. Twice the balls just vanished after floating into the room. Once it popped like fireworks. We had no damage from them but when they are a few feet from your feet when you are in bed it makes you wander. Glade no one was hurt.
Steve

TenTea
July 12, 2017, 09:31
Wife and I had this happen three time one year back in the 80s. Twice the balls just vanished after floating into the room. Once it popped like fireworks. We had no damage from them but when they are a few feet from your feet when you are in bed it makes you wander. Glade no one was hurt.
Steve

Thanks and your story is really interesting. I assume these incidents were during thunderstorms?

Mom was looking out the window when the big crack hit the house and when she turned around, there was the ball, hovering about 4 feet away from her.

C-ya
July 12, 2017, 10:10
When I was a kid, I was in the shower and mom was yelling to get out as a storm was coming. We always unhooked the TV cable from the antenna to prevent the TV getting bit. Well, that day we forgot to unhook the TV. I was just getting out of the shower when my mom yelled right about the time of a huge clap of thunder. She said a fireball came out of the TV! I dried off and got dressed and went into the living room. No damage to anything, heck the TV even turned on and played. Of course, we hurriedly unhooked it. As I was looking out the window, lightning struck a huge live oak in the corner of our yard. I saw a fireball blast out of the base of the tree and travel about 20-30 feet before it dissipated. It knocked a one foot by one foot section of the bark off of the tree about a foot above the ground. Didn't seem to hurt the tree, and the bark eventually grew back. Left a nice little scar, though.

The year before, we had two lightning strikes, one on the north side and one on the south side of the yard (1.25 acres, rectangular, long sides to the east and west). On the north side, it hit a tall pine tree and knocked a large section off the top. The south side hit was to a water oak. Knocked the bark off of one side of the tree and killed it. We had to cut it down as it started dropping limbs from way up.

Florida is always good for some hellacious thunder-boomers.

John A
July 12, 2017, 12:31
I have a photo of ball lightning, or something that was on my trail camera.

No, I'm not joking.

The nearby deer was looking toward it when the camera tripped the shutter, and it was bright enough that the flash didn't go off on the camera.

It wasn't very big, but it was there nonetheless.