PDA

View Full Version : A question-is it possible to take handgun to africa for pp on photo safari?

EinheitElf
June 24, 2017, 19:28
Hi guys, I am wondering if any has or heard of taking a handgun to Africa for personal protection while on a photo safari trip. It's not that I don't trust and believe the preserve or park employees are inept,its just,well,Africa.

I would not draw it on a person or animal unless things went totally sideways and no other way.
Hypothetically,if I can ever go........
I was thinking of a desert eagle,yup,finally got not one but 2:shades::facepalm:!. I like shooting it,have list of ammo it likes and they run great!:biggrin: The privi 240 hp feels warm ,even in th DE.

I really would like to go on trip to see cheetah,lion,leopard,snow leopard,tigers...as well as the other great wildlife.

So anyone have any input or stories....? Obviously it depends on the individual country also.

SPEEDGUNNER
June 24, 2017, 19:43
PM sent.

Retired Bum
June 24, 2017, 20:44
I suppose you could always smuggle in a handgun and a supply of ammo for it. Better take a decent amount of Ben Franklins with you as well to pay the bribes to stay out of an African jail which may well be even worse than those in North Korea.

Foreign countries just don't cotton to having tourists walking around toting handguns. No way would I even consider it. But then there is no way I would consider going to Africa in the first effing place....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

SAFN49
June 24, 2017, 21:08
Just buy an AK on the black market once you get there. It'll be cheaper.

Invictus77
June 24, 2017, 21:44
No, not legally

(BTW-No tigers in Africa)

Illurian00
June 24, 2017, 22:25
I suppose you could always smuggle in a handgun and a supply of ammo for it. Better take a decent amount of Ben Franklins with you as well to pay the bribes to stay out of an African jail which may well be even worse than those in North Korea.

Foreign countries just don't cotton to having tourists walking around toting handguns. No way would I even consider it. But then there is no way I would consider going to Africa in the first effing place....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

In most of the world hard (real) money is better received. U.S. paper ain't what it used to be.

EinheitElf
June 24, 2017, 23:41
Thanks for the replies guys..and actually there ARE tigers in Africa,a,guy has the last known living examples of one of the five subspecies of tigers..but I foget which one right know. I know in general there are no tigers,or snow leopards ,in Africa...;) just thought I would include them..

I actually hope to arrange to go to one of the preserves and do a bit of volunteer work,photo safari,anti poaching patrol type stuff..

Real currency would be gold and silver I take it.

martin35
June 25, 2017, 09:29
Transportation of a fire arm internationally is a process that is highly regulated for a good reason,,, nobody likes armed foreigner's anymore,,, not even the ones with money to spend on a good time,,, good times can get out of hand real quick.

The number of people who carry a firearm in the vehicle and then forgetfully cross the Canadian or Mexican US borders are in the hundreds,,, with sad and expensive stories to tell.

What ever country you plan to visit is where your inquiries send be directed and they will in all likelihood say no and put you on a watch list and mark your entry visa with a X that makes you a marked man.

The US State Dept. cannot nor will they represent you for firearms infractions in a foreign country,,, and they will tell you so.

In most countries you could over come a armed robber and shoot him with his own weapon and still be in big trouble, if he belonged to the right tribe.

I had a bad experience with some chilled orange juice I kept in my refrigerator once long ago over in Dakar,,, the compound houseboy found that my vodka fortified orange juice gave him extraordinary powers and he got caught trying to seduce another mans nubile female daughter without a gift goat or donkey,,, I was arrested and taken into court and fined when the Tribal headman filed Islamic criminal charges against me for corrupting a Muslim,,, and I didn't even know the little son of a bitch went to church,,, I was convicted and now I'm unwanted in every mosque around the world and a very stiff fine was paid,,, you probably don't want that to happen to you.

If I was going to give you advice I'd say stay home visit a good zoo and have your picture taken there,,,, but remember they don't allow firearms carry in zoo's either,,, it's a animal rights thing,,, and you know how that goes.

EinheitElf
June 25, 2017, 13:56
Well I still plan on going on a photo safari or going to Kruger or one of the other parks, go to Namibia and see the cheetah conservation group there. That organization is actually pretty cool, they have started a type of briquette manufacturing plant, raise dogs for guarding the goats and other livestock to help minimize predation by cheetahs and other predators. They are also doing some testing with plants for feed,etc.

Invictus77
June 25, 2017, 14:04
PM me if you want help on your planning.

Andy the Aussie
June 25, 2017, 15:30
Invictus77 has spent more time there than me but my experience in SA was that they they are partial US green but the local version (Rand) will be happily accepted. Some other countries (Mozambique) truly prefers US bills.

chet
June 25, 2017, 21:05
Short answer - no.

South Africa will let you bring in a wheelgun for hunting (under .45 cal) but not defensive purposes. If you dont have a legal hunt lined up then your importation form will not be approved. The forms have to be pre-approved before travel. Fairly certain just about every other govt in Africa has a prohibition on importation of defensive handguns by foreigners. but you can check with the embassy to be sure.

Taking a firearm into Kruger at all is also verboten. Don't even think about it.

A person might (stupidly) compare the risk of a potential threat against the risk of ignoring firearms laws in 3rd world countries (like Namibia) in the hopes that lackadaisical enforcement will work in their favor. However, re-importation of firearms into the US without a 4457 is just going to drain your bank account as you try to avoid a federal conviction with mandatory federal time.

Andy the Aussie
June 26, 2017, 00:04
Short answer - no.

Taking a firearm into Kruger at all is also verboten. Don't even think about it.
.... this is very true, they also conduct randon vehicle searches at the various entrances to Kruger using arms/explosive detection dogs ( I was search FYI). What cannot be understated is that YOU DO NOT want to end up in an African Prison, even short term while things are sorted out.

hagar
June 26, 2017, 11:34
Used to be in the 90's. Took up to 2 handguns and 3 rifles with me on one trip.

Retired Bum
June 26, 2017, 13:07
Yeah, but then South Africa was ruled by whites at that time. Then the whites caved in to the ANC and good bye freedom and stability.

And so it goes.

The Retired One