PDA

View Full Version : OV-10 still out there

C2A1
June 13, 2017, 18:14
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/11395/the-ov-10-bronco-is-wailing-on-isis-yet-again-this-time-in-the-philippines

June 13, 2017, 18:28
low & slow 👍

J. Armstrong
June 13, 2017, 19:31
Not exactly pretty, but one great old bird - one of the last of North American ( in the Rockwell guise ) products.

Far too simple, cheap, and effective to ever be revived in this country :mad:

ALL FAL
June 13, 2017, 20:11
If I lived near a Bone yard I'd build one a few pieces at a time.:)

J. Armstrong
June 14, 2017, 19:19
Another favorite O-bird. Grumman Mohawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5mzMAdlMeY

C2A1
June 14, 2017, 19:44
http://www.raptoraviation.com/aircraft%20spec%20pages/Mohawk%204.html
I did see 4 complete OV-10s plus spares a couple of months ago. They were in pieces but all there. Gone now, don't know who got them.

C2A1
June 14, 2017, 19:45
Mohawk is $269K.

Jarhead504
June 14, 2017, 20:13
I was in an OV-10 squadron at New River, NC as a young jarhead; VMO-1. I liked them. I was transferred to work on CH-46 Sea Knights, Hueys and Cobras which needed more work apparently.

Jarhead

Retired Bum
June 14, 2017, 20:55
There was a platoon of Army Mohawks at the Phu Bai airstrip when I was there 66-67. Every morning promptly at 7:00am three of the Mohawks would come in and land after pulling a night time mission. These birds had the SLAR aka Side Looking Airborne Radar unit slung under the fuselage.

After midnight they would take off and head into Laos which was less than 20 miles away and fly along the Ho Chi Minh trail gathering intelligence. To the best of my knowledge none of the Mohawks were lost during my time at Phu Bai.

When the Army starting buying the then new Mohawk the USAF tried to throw a monkey wrench into the works. They claimed that the Army had no right under the Key West Agreement to have an aircraft like the Mohawk. Ditto armed helicopters. Just a bunch of jealous propeller heads IMNSHO.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

medicmike
June 15, 2017, 09:18
Cal Fire is using them as spotter aircraft for the tankers. I'm sure that is some fun flying. Always like the looks of the OV10..

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6b/73/9f/6b739fae4b9112d14d30cb6dce44f4fd.jpg

J. Armstrong
June 15, 2017, 09:24
Wouldn't surprise me if DEA, DHS, and/or other FedGov agencies are still using them as well.

01BIRDDOG
June 15, 2017, 11:12
Good old "Marble Mountain" Wonder if any were left behind there?

alphadog58
June 15, 2017, 11:38
Worked on 'em at Hurlburt Field '72-'74. Had four M60's in two fuselage pylons, four bomb racks that we hung 2.75" rocket pods on. I remember that the pilots liked flying them.
Larry

Stoney
June 15, 2017, 12:14
a buddy of mine just retired from flying them for 17 years for CalFire, he thinks its a great AC.

lostmybearing
June 15, 2017, 12:28
Beaufort County in South Carolina uses one for mosquito control!
http://www.bcgov.net/departments/public-safety/mosquito-control/images/OV-10%20Bronco-1.09-16-11.jpg

C2A1
June 15, 2017, 14:15
I was working a project 7 years ago and was going to use an OV-1. There was a senior AF officer on the project. Oh, how he pissed and moaned about the OV-1. Even brought up the old deal about the Army armed OV-1s. There was one in a scrape yard in Tucson with the bulged belly, which was one of the ones converted as an attack aircraft that pissed the air force off. All these OV-1 got scrapped about 5 years ago. I knew a pilot that did two tours in OV-1s. Boy, he had some good stories about the OV-1. Loved it.

C2A1
June 15, 2017, 14:19
Stoney, did your buddy ever get to fly the CalFire S-2T turbo tracker? I looking for some hands on experience information.

Stoney
June 15, 2017, 16:45
I don't think so, but I'll ask.

STG_58_guy
June 15, 2017, 21:02
I've been doing a lot of research on how to best configure a prop driven AC. There is just a ton of things to consider. The OV-10 hits most of them perfectly.

Prop centerline under wing.

Thick wing for strength, fuel, low speed lift.

Counter rotating props, twin engine, minimal torque issues. Could it fly on one engine?

Horizontal stabilizer out of prop wash.

Twin boom with crossing horizontal stabilizer is stiff as xxxx, probably the most flutter free and torque proof arrangement. Tough, inherent design.

Landing gear in boom behind center of gravity, and short, but perfect for keeping the prop out of the dirt.

Great visibility.

I could go on, but whoever designed that went right down my check list. Brilliantly executed.

As an engineer, I really love this plane.

J. Armstrong
June 16, 2017, 07:54
I've been doing a lot of research on how to best configure a prop driven AC. There is just a ton of things to consider. The OV-10 hits most of them perfectly.

Prop centerline under wing.

Thick wing for strength, fuel, low speed lift.

Counter rotating props, twin engine, minimal torque issues. Could it fly on one engine?

Horizontal stabilizer out of prop wash.

Twin boom with crossing horizontal stabilizer is stiff as xxxx, probably the most flutter free and torque proof arrangement. Tough, inherent design.

Landing gear in boom behind center of gravity, and short, but perfect for keeping the prop out of the dirt.

Great visibility.

I could go on, but whoever designed that went right down my check list. Brilliantly executed.

As an engineer, I really love this plane.

As always, "best" depends on intended application. If you want your bird to go fast, then a thick wing is a negative. Also, adequate strength can obviously be easilt incorporated into a thin wing ( within reason, of course ). The twin boom configuration limits cargo volume for some applications.The high tail can introduce deep stall problems under some conditions. A low wing is usually more efficient, but will then most often have the thrust CL above it,which can be less aerodynamically efficient, and so on........
Not arguing with your choices, just saying that the intended use makes a world of difference.

In many ways you have hit on what makes the OV10 so good at it's particular
job , though :beer:

TnHawk-45
June 16, 2017, 16:20
What ever happened to the armed ones the BATF had?

J. Armstrong
June 16, 2017, 16:26
That's a good question. IIRC, they were (allegedly) taken away from the batboys after some outcry.

Jarhead504
June 17, 2017, 17:57

They told us that the landing gear on the OV-10 is "oversized" to be able to land on rough "runways" and landing strips. Notice how large the landing gear actually is on the OV-10 for its size.

Jarhead