PDA

View Full Version : Looking for shipping suggestions

krisincolfax
May 29, 2017, 15:31
Which would be the best choice for shipping a rifle from one FFL to
another FFL ; Fed Ex , USPS , UPS , and what are the rates per pound ,
I was told that the first few pounds are the most expensive ( say like 10 )
then the rate per pound drops after that , For instance a 10lb rifle packed
in cardboard might weigh 12 to 15 lbs. or in a light weight wood box to
dimension with packing may weigh 20 lbs. I started to look up rates on the
net , but thought I would ask the people who really know . any input would
be much appreciated .

1911Ron
May 29, 2017, 16:17
Which would be the best choice for shipping a rifle from one FFL to
another FFL ; Fed Ex , USPS , UPS , and what are the rates per pound ,
I was told that the first few pounds are the most expensive ( say like 10 )
then the rate per pound drops after that , For instance a 10lb rifle packed
in cardboard might weigh 12 to 15 lbs. or in a light weight wood box to
dimension with packing may weigh 20 lbs. I started to look up rates on the
net , but thought I would ask the people who really know . any input would
be much appreciated .

If your FFL does the shipping you could ask them who they use and how best to pack it, if you don't have one yet look for FFL's that will ship and ask them.

tdb59
May 29, 2017, 16:25
I ship all firearms, parts, tools, et cetera by Priority Mail, Insured.

Pack in as short a box as possible.

Only ammo is shipped UPS.

krisincolfax
May 29, 2017, 21:54
Ok thanks

2barearms
May 30, 2017, 07:34
I ship anything with excessive value Registered Mail. There is probably no safer
method. It's not cheap or fast but guaranteed to get there. They ship diamonds this way.

K. Funk
May 30, 2017, 17:54
I have shipped about 4000 firearms through USPS and contrary to popular opinion, they have done well and have never lost anything. A few bumps and bruises, but very low percentage wise. Distance is the most important factor after weight with Priority. From PA, anything east of the big M is pretty cheap, but it goes up fast the further you go. However, you do get 3-4 day service with Priority. UPS and Fed Ex probably cheaper coast to coast, but takes a lot longer too.

krf

toys
May 30, 2017, 22:26
You can look up rates for the various shippers and it goes by weight, distance and size, so anything that anyone says about price is moot.

you didnt ask, but if the gun is worth anything, i would insure it. Also, just so you dont go on the cheap. You may want to get a decent box and keep the muzzle and bolt handle, if it has one protected so they dont punch through the box. I had received rifles with both muzzles and bolt handles sticking through the box.

something you may want to consider is to head on down to your local sporting good shops and look for some of the 20 buck Plano rifle cases. Look for one in their OEM cardboard box. Then carefully separate the seam of the box and flip it inside out and glue it back together. That way you have a somewhat of a case and plain box to ship the gun. By the way, i wouldnt trust the foam included in the case since its thin and if you put your rifle in it, close it up and drop it from 1 foot, open it again and look you will probably find the rifle has moved in the case. I would reinforce the padding and maybe add some cardboard blocking in the case, again, to keep the muzzle and bolt handle from breaking through. i would also use some zip ties to keep the case closed. There are several padlock holes in the edge to use for this.

krisincolfax
May 31, 2017, 02:13
Thanks everyone , all good advice