PDA

View Full Version : Construction guys-Framing nailer questions?

randy762ak
March 29, 2017, 13:17
Building a garage and Looking for a Framing nailer .I want a Bostitch nailer Preferably used ,,I have worked in the rental business and we rented Bostitch and they were good, Im familiar with the STICK Style But Cant seem to find a good used one ,,The Boss at the old rental center has a COIL style nailer used at a good price ,,Any Advantages or disadvantages to this style>?? When I worked there we had stick style So No Experiences with coil style ..Gut feeling the stick type will have better feeding !

Thanks

Tgeorgi2002
March 29, 2017, 16:09
I use the Max Powerlite high pressure system. The max HN75 and HN90 coil framing nailers are in my opinion, the lightest, smallest, and best out there. They are expensive, but if you are using the tools all day every day, they are well worth the money. Most stick nailers hold like 90 nails per strip, while coil of nails is around 300 pcs. The only downside of coil nails, is the coils don't fit in your tool pouch. While you can use regular pneumatic nailers with the Max high pressure compressor, you can only use the high pressure nailers with a high pressure compressor. I will never use anything but the Max guns ever again.

http://cdn.nailgundepot.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/_/d_2826.jpg

http://www.maxusacorp.com/400psi_top.html

randy762ak
March 29, 2017, 16:23
Great tool --BUT Too Much for my needs ,,The coil does make it more compact .

HighRatMaster
March 29, 2017, 17:09
Seems to be a regional thing, east coast carpenters use mostly sidewheel power saws, west coast wood butchers use worm drive saws. Same with nailers, MAX nailers are more popular in the east, Hitachis have replaced Sencos as the preferred nail shooter in the west.

The Hitachi NR90 and NR83 series are fine weapons but other than Senco I have little experience with others though. Pawn shop Hitachis can be had for $100 or so here.

Nuttz
March 29, 2017, 18:10
Built an 16x24 outbuilding and a series of shelves and heavy cabinets in my garage. I bought and used a cordless Passlode framing nailer. It did awesome in my opinion. Uses rechargeable batteries and gas cartridges. A little on the heavy side but made up for that being cord/hose-less.

http://www.toolworksrepair.com/666_500_csupload_42645106.jpg?u=3547497313

meltblown
March 29, 2017, 18:23
Lifetime warranty with these.
http://www.stanleytools.com/products/hand-tools/hammers/framing

;)

lew
March 29, 2017, 18:32
Built an 16x24 outbuilding and a series of shelves and heavy cabinets in my garage. I bought and used a cordless Passlode framing nailer. It did awesome in my opinion. Uses rechargeable batteries and gas cartridges. A little on the heavy side but made up for that being cord/hose-less.

http://www.toolworksrepair.com/666_500_csupload_42645106.jpg?u=3547497313

I've used Paslode in the past. Great equipment.

2barearms
March 29, 2017, 18:44
I got a Ridgid brand and it's a great gun.

alphadog58
March 29, 2017, 19:14
The Hitachi NR90 and NR83 series are fine weapons but other than Senco I have little experience with others though. Pawn shop Hitachis can be had for $100 or so here.

+1 on pawn shop Hitachis. Senco used to set the industry standard, they're not what they used to be.
Larry

easttex
March 29, 2017, 19:34
Don't laugh but I've gotten decent service out of a Harbor Freight 3-in-1 framing nailer. I bought it back when I didn't have much money (still don't...) to help with remodeling my house and its done its job with no complaints. I'm not a contractor and don't use it all the time but for the occasional job, it does a good job for me.

badzero
March 29, 2017, 19:49
I have a 20 yr old porter cable stick gun that's spent well over half of its life in the shop getting fixed, and a Senco of about the same vintage as well as a bostich coil gun. Most jobs get the Senco, it's an old partner. The bostich works well as well, just not as familiar to me so it only gets used on certain occasions. Every job has its own requirements.

kotengu
March 29, 2017, 20:30
I use a hammer.

But then, I also prefer a 60 year old rifle and a 40 year old Jeep. So there is definitely something wrong with me.

randy762ak
March 29, 2017, 20:37
+1 on pawn shop Hitachis. Senco used to set the industry standard, they're not what they used to be.
Larry

Local Pawnshop does have a Hitachi In stock Nice shape too,,I know them well enough that if I leave a deposit they will let me try it..

Im too lazy for a hammer :rofl::tongue:

Nuttz
March 29, 2017, 20:38
...I also prefer a 60 year old rifle and a 40 year old Jeep. So there is definitely something wrong with me.
He's not sh!ttin and the the jeep has one of these in it! :facepalm:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a7/19/1a/a7191a147a9e83d2daf672e378dd0d3c.jpg

kotengu
March 29, 2017, 21:12
He's not sh!ttin and the the jeep has one of these in it! :facepalm:

No way, man - I gots bluetooth and handsfree iPhone control!

Timber Wolf
March 29, 2017, 21:15
I see a lot of Hitachi's on the jobs around here. They mostly look really old, tired, and beat but are keeping on keeping on. I kind of want a coil gun but they are heavy, and how much production decking is the average guy running anyway? A good stick gun will do it all. That said, my guns (Porter Cable, not Hitachi) tend to blow seals when I pull them out and run them hard. Because they sit for years and dry up. Lost one last week the second day into a church mission trip building cabins at a church camp. That said, maybe just buying a new cheap Harbor Freight gun with a coupon might be the way to go. In fact, we finished out the week running a HF gun.:rofl: Anyway, you pay your money and takes your chances.

eternal24k
March 29, 2017, 21:22
I picked up a Hitachi NR90 on sale at lowes for $120 and it has been amazing, hasn't skipped a beat and very solid for the money. My coil fencing nailer, roofing nailer and finish nailer are all bostitch, but I would not hesitate for a second picking up a cheaper hitatchi as an alternative

def90
March 29, 2017, 22:08
Building a garage and Looking for a Framing nailer .I want a Bostitch nailer Preferably used ,,I have worked in the rental business and we rented Bostitch and they were good, Im familiar with the STICK Style But Cant seem to find a good used one ,,The Boss at the old rental center has a COIL style nailer used at a good price ,,Any Advantages or disadvantages to this style>?? When I worked there we had stick style So No Experiences with coil style ..Gut feeling the stick type will have better feeding !

Thanks

Just building a garage? Save some money and go with a standard nailer, the more expensive coil nailer won't make a difference to you unless you are a high volume commercial framer. Hell, I don't even see the framers on the projects i work on using the coil nailers. There's probably a reason why you can't find a decent used stick nailer but can get angood deal on a coil nailer.

randy762ak
March 30, 2017, 09:55
What do you think of this one -> have you ever used one >???

Retail$ 290.79 Rented out one time --$200.00...at My old rental center !

saves me $90Bucks.....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bostitch-Framing-Pneumatic-Nailer/4326659

alphadog58
March 30, 2017, 10:48
Im too lazy for a hammer :rofl::tongue:

Hammers are for pulling nails....
Larry

KoKodog
March 30, 2017, 14:10
Hammers are for pulling nails....
Larry

I thought that a 28 oz. framing hammer was decent backup when you're out of ammo ...... :whistling:

besides, one year in Detroit more murders were committed w/ hammers than handguns

randy762ak
March 30, 2017, 15:43
Years ago back in NY we had an Old timer Kill is ex wife with a hammer,,Then Jumped off the local bridge =and lived !

guess he did quite the job on the old bitty a real hammer job so to speak ,,[she was going to take his farm away]

Later we are setting at the Local watering hole and One of the guys was complaining about his wife/girl friend ,,,,,, The bar tender casually reached below the bar and picked up a hammer and placed it on the bar in front of our companion !!! :rofl:

Hole_Puncher
March 30, 2017, 15:52
I have a Bostich framing nailer that uses the stick nails and it works quite well. I was able to buy this several years ago through Amazon as a factory reconditioned unit for a great price.
I also have a Bostich siding gun that uses coiled nails. It much smaller and light. I was able to buy that on EBay for a good price as well.

randy762ak
March 30, 2017, 17:57
Im thinking I cant go too far wrong with the As new unit My old boss has ,,Only cost me s+h to return it if I dont Like it !!

Blackmore
March 31, 2017, 10:43
My experience is you have a higher likelihood of feed problems with a coil nailer, but they are better in tight quarters than a stick.

randy762ak
March 31, 2017, 19:54
My experience is you have a higher likelihood of feed problems with a coil nailer, but they are better in tight quarters than a stick.

My Thoughts too--- !!!