PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexia

Root66
November 03, 2014, 14:54
I've been hanging out at The Files for a while trying to learn as much about the rifle as possible but every time I see G1 (gee one) my brain sees it as GI (gee eye)...anybody else have this affliction? Does it go away with time?

2barearms
November 03, 2014, 15:33
I've been hanging out at The Files for a while trying to learn as much about the rifle as possible but every time I see G1 (gee one) my brain sees it as GI (gee eye)...anybody else have this affliction? Does it go away with time?

You're not alone.

MAINER
November 03, 2014, 16:00
I'm sorry! :(

The number 1 doesn't work on my keyboard so I have been using "I". My apologies to all those that I confused. I meant no harm. :biggrin:

Topbanana
November 03, 2014, 16:10
101 0 l-l4! 1 6l_l355 l_l l\l3\/3p\ 134p\l\l3cl 1337 5p34l<?????

Elwarpo
November 04, 2014, 11:03
For me it is an ingrained acronym. From too many years in the infantry...
NBC means, Nuclear, Biological and Chemical... every time I see it here.

martin35
November 05, 2014, 07:04
If not for my 75 years of finger painting therapy classes dyslexia could have ruined my life,,, that and my latter day 15 year afflection of the FAL Files,,, as luck would have it both have been a blessing for me.

W.E.G.
November 05, 2014, 08:22
Hey, dat GI he too bookoo.

Bruce Allen
November 05, 2014, 21:47
Yeah... after about 55 years of life it finally dawned on me I am slightly dyslexic..

Ingrained acronyms.
Sigh.. yes I am afflicted also with that.
NBC
FUBAR
Anything with numbers I automatically look for calibers
and so on..

martin35
November 07, 2014, 12:14
Dyslexia never goes away,,, you adjust to it,,, or use a bigger hammer,,, bigger hammers being a cure all.

Topbanana
November 07, 2014, 13:07
l0l l\/l4r7!l\l, u r 50 5!11y!!!!!!11111one

Abominog
November 07, 2014, 14:50
Heck, I often see "WTS" and get all excited till I read the post and it's WTB

augie1
November 07, 2014, 15:00
Then, of course, there was the case of the agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac who stayed up all night wondering if there was a doG.

hueyville
November 07, 2014, 16:51
Then, of course, there was the case of the agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac who stayed up all night wondering if there was a doG.

Not agnostic but the rest is spot on description of me. Of course I worry about everything including stuff that doesn't even exist.

Jon Frum
November 08, 2014, 21:03
Change your name to Bob, that way if you spell it backwards, you still get it right.

HughJass
November 10, 2014, 18:42
Change your name to Bob, that way if you spell it backwards, you still get it right.

Was a pro dirtbike racer a while back named Bob Hannah.

saltshaker
November 11, 2014, 21:47
I just read...somewhere that there has been a new type of font that has been created that really makes a deference for someone struggling with dyslexia. Thought that it was pretty cool. My younger brother stuggled with it when he was in elementary school.....

madscotsman
November 21, 2014, 10:03
Dyslexia is a strange curse, been dealing with it for just over 20 years of adult life.
My experience before returning to formal college (where there is better help now) is you develop various coping skills learn't by trial and error (memorization, cheat sheets). It comes to affect us all in different ways. There are different ways it affects us all, different versions. Much better now with technology like speech to text and word processors that help more than hinder.

Martin 35, bigger hammer it is. Works for me. Its exactly how it feels, the energy expended is higher than needed, that's the worse part. The mental excercise is harder than physical excercise, at least for me.

Madscotsman.

martin35
November 21, 2014, 10:27
When you write something and Spellcheck cames back with "no solution available" you are probably dyslectic or a figment of your own imagination and you will have your 1st 10,000 posts deleted on the FAL Files,,, it happened to me.

EinheitElf
November 22, 2014, 12:38
The only way to fix it is to HAVE A G1 FAL sitting next to you as you peruse the Files, everytime you see 'G1' you have to reach over and caress the rifle and say in homer simpson 'donut daze' , 'Geeee Onnnne', soon the affliction is cured OR you start having more G1's show up and the wallet goes anorexic..:facepalm:;)

Am I disturbed or just warped? Only the voices in my head know for sure, when they are not arguing...:]:wink::beer::beer:

rgregoryb
November 22, 2014, 15:56
then there was the drowning dyslexic,wondering why no help, screaming "PLEH, PLEH" :facepalm:

Pluribus
November 22, 2014, 16:20
When you write something and Spellcheck cames back with "no solution available" you are probably dyslectic or a figment of your own imagination and you will have your 1st 10,000 posts deleted on the FAL Files,,, it happened to me.

Dyslexia is a strange curse, been dealing with it for just over 20 years of adult life.
My experience before returning to formal college (where there is better help now) is you develop various coping skills learn't by trial and error (memorization, cheat sheets). It comes to affect us all in different ways. There are different ways it affects us all, different versions. Much better now with technology like speech to text and word processors that help more than hinder.

Martin 35, bigger hammer it is. Works for me. Its exactly how it feels, the energy expended is higher than needed, that's the worse part. The mental exerecise is harder than physical excercise, at least for me.

I've dealt with it all my life. Proof reading my own blathering is often a frustrating event. Then, it's a greater irony when I spell check because I use a Linux OS and, for what ever reason, it checks in the Queens English. IE: labour not labor, neighbour not neighbor, etc... I have to look at the key board in order to type plus, I caught a 7 1/2 shotgun pellet in the retina of my right eye 25 years to the day that JFK was shot and have all kinds of scar tissue reflecting spots in front of everything I see. Unlike JFK, I survived being shot in the head.

Numbers are a special hell for me. I sometimes write phone numbers down alphabetically so I can memorize them correctly. Watching many sporting events on TV such as football and basketball especially with all the fast moving numbers on everyone’s back just fargs me up. Baseballs slow enough but, I don't particularly care for it

The above took a LONG time to type because of my world, and you're welcome to it.

:wink:

Pluribus
November 22, 2014, 16:28
101 0 l-l4! 1 6l_l355 l_l l\l3\/3p\ 134p\l\l3cl 1337 5p34l<?????

I had to google that to try and find out what it meant but, turns out I'm f**cked.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+101+0+l-l4!+1+6l_l355+l_l+l\l3\%2F3p\+134p\l\l3cl+1337+5p3 4l

:facepalm:

Pluribus
November 22, 2014, 16:30
l0l l\/l4r7!l\l, u r 50 5!11y!!!!!!11111one

Got 2 pages with that one.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+l0l+l\%2Fl4r7!l\l%2C+u+r+50+ 5!11y!!!!!!11111one+

garyd1961
November 22, 2014, 18:47
Do any of you open a new package take the item out throw it in the trash and walk away with the empty package then think what did I just do? I do it all the time.
I have a hard time reading ROs at work also. I finished a car not long ago carried it to the pick up area and handed the Ro to a service writer then picked up another RO and started on it. The SA called me to the front and said I forgot to reset the maintenance light and to put a return sticker in the car. I said there was no oil change on the RO.... but there was.

Skilter
November 22, 2014, 19:37
Eb Thankluf... Hte mots of u are vrey successful.