PDA

View Full Version : I love my "southern accent"

W.E.G.
June 10, 2014, 16:14
I suppose it makes me sound ignorant and gullible.

I'm able to keep the credit-card-fraud cold-call assholes on the line for an inordinate amount of time by just upping my twang a little, and putting that question-intonation on the last word of my remarks to them.

I think today's cold-caller guy, who sounded like he was from New Jersey, actually got cut off by his boss or somebody in the middle of my schtick, because I really had him going when somebody cut him off in mid-sentence.

I tried doing the gay-guy intonation the last time they called, but that didn't last very long. I guess I don't do a very good gay-guy voice.

Fugkers have even managed to spoof my neighborhood's three-digit exchange prefix on my caller ID, and make the area code not even show up.

brunop
June 10, 2014, 16:26
:rofl:

:bow:

Keep on fighting the good fight, W.E.G.

yellowhand
June 10, 2014, 16:30
Those of us G-d blessed with being born in the south do have an ability to speak for hours, slowly, and say nothing at all.
And when required, as when around those not blessed by G-d, we can revert back to our private language and confuse even the NSA snoops.:biggrin:

W.E.G.
June 10, 2014, 16:32
I actually got this one debating the difference between a "where" and a "what."

He started telling me that he was trying to talk about a "what" and that I kept asking "where." He tried to explain that "Where" is a place, "like mountains or something." It was about then I'm pretty sure his boss cut him.

L Haney
June 10, 2014, 16:56
... we can revert back to our private language and confuse even the NSA snoops.:biggrin:

You hush up now.

yellowhand
June 10, 2014, 16:59
When they call here, I always tell them, "hold on there, let me get mama, can't understand a damn word you're saying!"
Then lay the phone down by the TV.
One fool stayed on the line for over ten minutes before he hung up.:wink:

ExCdnSoldierInTx
June 10, 2014, 17:08
You too, huh?

Doing shit like that gives me great pleasure through the slow parts of my day.

Sometimes I just let 'em talk on speaker, while I'm doing other stuff, and just yuuup, and uhhh huh as I need to..
I LOVE fukking with those guys. (And gals)

Roland
June 10, 2014, 17:16
I suppose it makes me sound ignorant and gullible.

I'm able to keep the credit-card-fraud cold-call assholes on the line for an inordinate amount of time by just upping my twang a little, and putting that question-intonation on the last word of my remarks to them.

I think today's cold-caller guy, who sounded like he was from New Jersey, actually got cut off by his boss or somebody in the middle of my schtick, because I really had him going when somebody cut him off in mid-sentence.

I tried doing the gay-guy intonation the last time they called, but that didn't last very long. I guess I don't do a very good gay-guy voice.

Fugkers have even managed to spoof my neighborhood's three-digit exchange prefix on my caller ID, and make the area code not even show up.******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1"><param value="*********************************************"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="*********************************************" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Hehe, I would love to hear a recording of one of those calls ;)

xcpd69
June 10, 2014, 17:55
Using gibberish is fun too. Totally incoherant sounds complete with dramatic inflections. They give up pretty rapidly.

Story
June 10, 2014, 18:23
Do a reverse Jehovah's Witness.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/excuse-me-sir-can-you-spare-a-moment-for-jesus-christ-eagle.jpg

Evoskoot
June 10, 2014, 19:09
I've no time for phone games, but having a southern accent is a definate plus! Folks from up north believe you think slowly because you talk slowly. It's like being a mind-reader because they think they can s-p-e-l-l out words and Southrens and children aren't able to follow!!

yellowhand
June 10, 2014, 19:31
Non southerners were placed upon this earth for the sole amusement of those of us blessed by G-d with being southern born and breed.

Though I now live in AZ, far southern AZ I might add, having been born and raised in the great state of SC, home of telling them northern Federals to kiss off and take a hike, and then having borne the brunt of Northern Aggression during round one of that unpleasant period, some, yankees mostly, refer to as a civil war, was nothing civil about being invaded and put upon, and what those fellows did to Atlanta, poor manners all the way around with that one, that was sure enough, I had the pleasure to insure retribution for the devious acts committed in the name of freedom, them people would not know freedom if'd it bit them in their fat ass, while pushing troops thru basic training, and let me tell ya something, no mud hole nor wall was too deep or too big to send them boys into for the sins committed by their fathers.

And while I'm on it, let me tell ya one more thing,,,,,:D:D:D

shlomo
June 10, 2014, 19:44
I got news for ya--It works both ways.

After my time in New Jersey recently, where I became reacquainted with the Philly/Middle Atlantic dialaect, I amuse myself here in Georgia when, for example, a string of folks at every aisle at Home Depot keep asking me how I'm doing today.

Me: "How'm I doo'n? Aaahh... My wife's a pain in the ass, breakin' my bwalls; my dwaughtah's married to a frickin' loser, an' I got a rash on my ass dat's so bad, I can't even si'down. But you know me... I can't complain...

kfranz
June 10, 2014, 19:45
Non southerners were placed upon this earth for the sole amusement of those of us blessed by G-d with being southern born and breed.

Though I now live in AZ, far southern AZ I might add, having been born and raised in the great state of SC, home of telling them northern Federals to kiss off and take a hike, and then having borne the brunt of Northern Aggression during round one of that unpleasant period, some, yankees mostly, refer to as a civil war, was nothing civil about being invaded and put upon, and what those fellows did to Atlanta, poor manners all the way around with that one, that was sure enough, I had the pleasure to insure retribution for the devious acts committed in the name of freedom, them people would not know freedom if'd it bit them in their fat ass, while pushing troops thru basic training, and let me tell ya something, no mud hole nor wall was too deep or too big to send them boys into for the sins committed by their fathers.

And while I'm on it, let me tell ya one more thing,,,,,:D:D:D

Bless your heart yellowhand, you go right on telling.

tdb59
June 10, 2014, 19:49

Talking while biting a pillow din't work, huh ?

:uhoh:

shlomo
June 10, 2014, 19:54
You hush up now.

I've met and talked with WEG. Maybe I'm immune but I thought him rather neutral. I think I'M neutral. Yankees apparently do not.

You, on the other hand, are the real deal. When you talk, it sounds like Don Williams without the music.

yellowhand
June 10, 2014, 20:15
I got news for ya--It works both ways.

After my time in New Jersey recently, where I became reacquainted with the Philly/Middle Atlantic dialaect, I amuse myself here in Georgia when, for example, a string of folks at every aisle at Home Depot keep asking me how I'm doing today.

Me: "How'm I doo'n? Aaahh... My wife's a pain in the ass, breakin' my bwalls; my dwaughtah's married to a frickin' loser, an' I got a rash on my ass dat's so bad, I can't even si'down. But you know me... I can't complain...

Dam son, sorry to hear about ya wifey, she been beating ya again, give her the hip bone next time, keeps her from getting a clean shot at ya and we got some goldbond powder around here somewhere what will help ya with your balls troubles, stops that ichty right away, as far as tha little gal, losers aint so bad, sometimes they clean up and win one ever now and again, Pastor Robert might off help him I'm sure down at the baptist church, get him some bible learning do him a world of good, sure as hell glad you don't complain much, shit, with that old woman and those children of yours and that near do well son-in-la, hell man, I'd shoot myself, but you aint me, so don't goin do nothing stupid, you hear?

shlomo
June 10, 2014, 20:20
Dam son, sorry to hear about ya wifey, she been beating ya again, give her the hip bone next time, keeps her from getting a clean shot at ya and we got some goldbond powder around here somewhere what will help ya with your balls troubles, stops that ichty right away, as far as tha little gal, losers aint so bad, sometimes they clean up and win one ever now and again, Pastor Robert might off help him I'm sure down at the baptist church, get him some bible learning do him a world of good, sure as hell glad you don't complain much, shit, with that old woman and those children of yours and that near do well son-in-la, hell man, I'd shoot myself, but you aint me, so don't goin do nothing stupid, you hear?

Nobody could beat my old neighbor, Mr. Gene. Between no teeth and a giant dip of Bruton Scotch Snuff, a typical observation on my truck tune-up might be, "Shaw dang shoot on mah gollah, purt' near forty mile on border... Might be yer thumbtrash..."

yellowhand
June 10, 2014, 21:17
Nobody could beat my old neighbor, Mr. Gene. Between no teeth and a giant dip of Bruton Scotch Snuff, a typical observation on my truck tune-up might be, "Shaw dang shoot on mah gollah, purt' near forty mile on border... Might be yer thumbtrash..."

When my teachers piss me off, often I might add, I stop speaking English and go back hard south, then even they know I'm not a happy camper!:)

Try as I might, can 'twrite like I talk sometimes, toooooo much book learnin!:eek:

Now my wife is another story, a true southern bell at ALL times.:love:

tdb59
June 10, 2014, 21:19
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bIaUfBjHjpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

357ross
June 10, 2014, 22:10
You folks have much more patience than I do, I just hang up on them.

homelandprotector
June 10, 2014, 23:34
Do they make a hillbilly/ english translator book ?? :]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Jzvh2IeLmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

martin35
June 11, 2014, 00:02
L'il Abner and Randoph Scott always sounded just alike to me.

kfranz
June 11, 2014, 06:55
Do they make a hillbilly/ english translator book ?? :]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Jzvh2IeLmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://dickshunairy.blogspot.com/

Skilter
June 14, 2014, 17:06
If you go do some research... you will see that the Southern gentile accent from the late 1800's is actually a variant of aristocracy proper English.

It's kinda like speaking English designed for a 45 record on 33 speed.

thedrickel
June 15, 2014, 10:22
I do the same thing with my fake Indian voice when I get calls from Indian call centers. They don't even notice I'm doing it, it just sounds normal to them.