PDA

View Full Version : Angle grinder?

D P Six
May 03, 2014, 12:10
I am in need of an angle grinder, AC powered, 4 1/2 or 5" disc. I figure any that cost around $100 should be OK but does anyone have recommendations?

12v71
May 03, 2014, 12:15
I really like the DeWalt 5 inch models. I buy about 3-4 a year. But mine live a very hard life and hold up well. They run about 120$ on sale at Lowes.

DYNOMIKE
May 03, 2014, 12:21
I've had my DEWALT for years and used for all kinds of stuff....
Would recommend one without reservation...

Milwaukee is also good..

As much as I HATE CHINA MART (Harbor Freight) I used a Cheap ass Chicago brand grinder to sharpen mower blades (mulch type) every day for two years and it never quite... Might be a good option if your not looking for a name brand..

the gman
May 03, 2014, 13:43
I burnt a China Mart grinder out in about 10 mins a couple years ago (like it burst into flames!!) but my Makita kept on going. Dewalt or Milwaukee are good choices for lower end grinders but I prefer Makita or Bosch.

gunplumber
May 03, 2014, 14:01
I've been using the same Milwaukee 4-1/2" for 15+ years of moderate to heavy work. It's got a lot of torque, but no so much that I can't do moderate one-handed work. It has a removable handle for two-handed work. I use it mostly for de-milling AKs, but also for grinding welds on my trailer and fences, and cutting bolts and slotting concrete. I can't say enough nice things about it. Mine says 8.5 AMP, but a quick search is showing they've replaced several models. These seem similar

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6146-30

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6117-33d

Amazon shows around $120 for the smaller one (7 amp?) and $175 for the medium one (13-15 amp).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_seeall_14?rh=k%3Amilwaukee+angle+grinder %2Ci%3Aindustrial&keywords=milwaukee+angle+grinder&ie=UTF8&qid=1399143484

Buy more than you think you need, pay once, cry once, and pass it on to your grandchildren.

tac-40
May 03, 2014, 14:17
Gotta go with the Gman on this one. My Makita has held up so well that my son took it and fail to bring it back.

Best place to find a good one at a good price is your local pawn shop. Even a used good one will last you a long time.

KoKodog
May 03, 2014, 14:21
last place I worked we went thru so many 4-1/2" angle grinders they stopped buying the DeWalts & Milwaukee's and went w/ the Metabo brand @ about $60.00 each

they were ok and did the job at a much lower cost, some guys liked the features on the DeWalts & Milwaukee's and just hated the Metabos

to each their own ..

Root66
May 03, 2014, 15:00
Harbor Freight offers an extended lifetime warranty on power tools, if it quits take it to any store and exchange it.

I have a friend in the metal fab business and he goes through a couple a year, one warranty covers as many as he owns and they get replaced no questions asked.

richbug
May 03, 2014, 15:26
My 2 go to grinders are a 4" Makita, and a 7/9" B&D Wildcat(30 years old, similar to the best modern Dewalt). I have many others and grind lots of stuff.

The Makita is way tougher, and works harder than it has any right to. The compactness is great.

Beware most cheap grinders get hot, in many cases too hot to hold onto.

DYNOMIKE
May 03, 2014, 15:39
Harbor Freight offers an extended lifetime warranty on power tools, if it quits take it to any store and exchange it.

I have a friend in the metal fab business and he goes through a couple a year, one warranty covers as many as he owns and they get replaced no questions asked.

As I noted above I HATE Harbor Freight and pretty much won't buy anything from there... While I personally wouldn't go with that Grinder I felt it worth noting my experience with the one I used.. I "suspect" that the Chicago brand name may be sourced from more then one place but it's speculation on my part??
I ran the dog shit out of the one I used and honestly couldn't believe it lived as long as it did.. Even though we had a Large commercial Blade grinder it only does FLAT blades so all the wave and mulch blades where always sharpened by hand. I live in Florida and the shop while covered of course was NOT cooled, it gets PLENTY hot here in the summer when the grass if growing the fastest... That POS grinder did hundreds of blades and never broke or caught on fire.. Not to say they won't only that this one did not..

I much prefer my own DeWalt, have used a Milwaukee, & Makita and think it much a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing in the end..

shortround
May 03, 2014, 15:47
Metabo. I use the 6 inch in an Industrial setting almost every day. Nothing else comes close.

If you want a one time use (maybe) tool, by all means buy Harbor Freight. A Metabo will out last you.

Here's a 4 1/2 inch for under $120:

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-W8-115-2-Inch-Angle-Grinder/dp/B001CSEJLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1399149839&sr=1-1&keywords=metabo+grinders

RG Coburn
May 03, 2014, 20:11
I have several Makitas,a milwaukee,and a dewalt. I find I reach for the dewalt,instinctively.The others aren't bad,they work very well. I've just most used to the Dewalt I guess. Main thing I'd look at,is get the 4 1/2 with the larger hole for the disks. I think they are inch? Its the more popular disk in inventories.

12v71
May 03, 2014, 20:31
Actually its a 7/8" hole. And the 5/8'-11 threaded spindle is the most popular for brushes etc. I avoid the metric spindles like the plague for that reason.

D P Six
May 03, 2014, 22:47
Thank you all for the suggestions. I went with a Milwaukee for $100 @ home Depot.

Beryl
May 03, 2014, 22:54
I bought a Skil at Wally World. It works fine for me.

jtscuba02
May 04, 2014, 00:03
I bought a used Dewalt at a local pawn shop. Works great. I think I paid $30 for it. Although, it does have Gonzo in black sharpie wrote on it.

alphadog58
May 04, 2014, 18:48
I have a buddy who owns a tool repair business. He gave me a 4 1/2" Skil about 10 years ago. I use it for grinding on fiberglass boats. I've gotten it so hot that I needed to wear welders gloves to keep going. It still works fine, but I've managed to chew up the cord pretty good. He recently gave me a pretty new Dewalt, which is somewhat more ergonomic than the Skil. YMMV.
Larry

Jimi X.
May 04, 2014, 19:43
Thank you all for the suggestions. I went with a Milwaukee for $100 @ home Depot.

Take a look. I'll bet that it is manufactured in China.

I recently needed a roto hammer, and went to Home Depot, was surprised that everything seemed to be make in China...Even Makita!.

I special ordered the Bosch Bulldog Extreme 1"...I believe that it was make in Mexico...was hoping for Germany.

alphadog58
May 06, 2014, 14:18
Take a look. I'll bet that it is manufactured in China.

I recently needed a roto hammer, and went to Home Depot, was surprised that everything seemed to be make in China...Even Makita!.

I special ordered the Bosch Bulldog Extreme 1"...I believe that it was make in Mexico...was hoping for Germany.

I was told by my tool repair buddy that the Chinese now own Milwaulkee. One of the first things they did, besides moving all manufacturing to China, was to stop parts support for older Milwaulkee tools. Need a switch for your faithful Milwaulkee Hole Hawg? SOL! Nothing new, though, Hilti doesn't carry parts for any of their tools once the model is ten years old...
Larry

Jimi X.
May 06, 2014, 14:24
, Hilti doesn't carry parts for any of their tools once the model is ten years old...
Larry

Years ago, I owned an Olympus OM1 camera. Olympus USA, told me they stopped working on models once they hit the ten year mark.....I was looking into getting a Tektronics oscilloscope, back around '83....Tektronics told me the same thing..."no support once it hits the ten year mark".

evan price
May 07, 2014, 06:18
I've got a Milwaukee that is great and a DeWalt that is good too.

Got one coupon for a $9.99 special from Horror Freight. Figured it would be good to throw in the truck for a disposable grinder for mower blades and cleaning rust off of truck rims and such.

Surprised, even though the switch feels kind of crappy it works, and works, and works. For $10 I can't complain. And if it gets lost stolen or broken I will just get another one.