PDA

View Full Version : Not Responsible for Broken Windshield

Bug Tussell
September 23, 2013, 12:36
Stay back 200 feet.

What a crock of bullshit.

I want to post a sign on the back of my vehicle:

Not Responsbile for whatever the f**k I do.
Stay back 1,000 feet.

jimmbob
September 23, 2013, 13:00
do not tailgate trucks, just a matter of sense

dumptrucks - stay WAY behind them, I'll even let a car pass me so I have him between me and the dumptruck. If he's hauling pea gravel, there's usually some that sift thru the bottom of the gate, pretty unavoidable unless it's a new truck or the owner keeps his trucks gates in 100% condition which ain't gonna happen unless it's a small time owner/operater who keeps his equip. in top shape. Most dumptrucks are owned by big outfits and they don't give attention to their gates having a good seal at the bottom. It's not right they ignore the problem but it's a fact, at least here in Wash. St. probably 90% of the dumptrucks on the road will leak peagravel usually when hitting bumps or dips in the road. Problem can be remedied by bedding the gate with some dirt, sand or newspaper but everybody is in too big of a hurry, get loaded and race to go dump out -

log trucks - same deal, don't follow close as they have debri on the logs and chunks of bark can fly off unexpectedly

can haulers - stay FAR FAR away as most are total idiots, same w/some long haulers

SWOHFAL
September 23, 2013, 13:05
Don't forget bobtail tractors.

Jolly Rodgers
September 23, 2013, 14:21
I've always been told that they're not responsible ... unless you can prove one of the two following things:

1) They don't have the required fenders or mud flaps. (this one's pretty easy)

or

2) The flying debris came off their load. (this one's harder to prove)

SWOHFAL
September 23, 2013, 15:04
I've always been told that they're not responsible ... unless you can prove one of the two following things:

or

I had a cartage company pay me for my windshield when the rocks they didn't clean off their dozer treads broke my windshield. I had another trucking company tell me to fugk myself when one of their fender-less bobtails mortar'd a rock off the road over the mudflap and down onto my windshield.

nwobhm
September 23, 2013, 15:28
Stay back 200 feet.

I can't read the sign at that distance. Maybe 50ft.

jimmbob
September 23, 2013, 17:01
I had a cartage company pay me for my windshield when the rocks they didn't clean off their dozer treads broke my windshield. I had another trucking company tell me to fugk myself when one of their fender-less bobtails mortar'd a rock off the road over the mudflap and down onto my windshield.

some companies take responsibility and pay for the windshield because they are good companies and know damn well the rock did'nt get kicked up off the highway unless they're on a dirt/gravel road, it came from their truck's cargo(lazy truck driver not cleaning off reach or sideboards, leaky tailgate) or from not cleaning the tracks on the cat/equipment loaded on trlr.

As for the bobtail breaking your window it was most likely a piece of gravel/rock that came from his framerail as he bounced, bounced , bounced over some bumps in the road.

L Haney
September 23, 2013, 17:28
I can't read the sign at that distance. Maybe 50ft.

:rofl::bow: I hear you brother! Learned another lesson about big trucks a couple of years ago on I-75. Winter time, lots colder up north than down here south of Tennessee.

The slab of ice that came off the top of the trailer ATE a small car 6 seconds in front of me. Bashed in the roof, blew the windshield completely out and started a long fast wreck off the shoulder of the interstate.

That'll make you put your coffee mug down.

garyd1961
September 23, 2013, 20:32
Most people are stupid when it comes to trucks on the highway. I was riding with a friend hauling logs and guy on a motorcycle zipped past us slams on brakes and stops. We were only running about 35 and but it took all the brakes we had to keep from making roadkill out of him. When I use to drive one there was always some jerk who wanted to ride right beside my trailer so that I couldn't change lanes when I needed to. I had a cure for that.

gunplumber
September 23, 2013, 23:35
While I've driven fuel tankers and was amazed at the stupidity of drivers cutting in front of me (think, inertia . .. oh wait, you're a pancake . . . nevermind. . . .), if a vehicle is unsafe to operate around other vehicles, it should not be allowed on public roadways.

Posting a sign doesn't make it so.

jimmbob
September 24, 2013, 00:46
... if a vehicle is unsafe to operate around other vehicles, it should not be allowed on public roadways.

Posting a sign doesn't make it so.

Unsafe trucks are NOT allowed on public highways but they ARE there. Hiding your head in the sand thinking every truck out there is legal just because they're supposed to be is kinda dense.

A few years back I had a big rock that was in the pitrun I dumped outta the bellydump I was driving for a big italian heavy construction road building outfit in Wash. St.(scarsel...) and it bent the brake rod to the air can/shoe. Parked the truck, wrote it up, talked to the mechanic and went home(night shift). Got to work the next afternoon and did my pre-trip inspection only to find how the shop fixed the bent rod I wrote up the night before. They just unhooked it so the shoe would'nt smoke, unbelieveable The idiot day driver drove the 105,500 pound truck ALL day like this loaded in heavy traffic at freeway speeds and he was one of those tailgater truckers. There's always that chance where you may need all your brakes to be right where they should be to avoid an accident and a LOT of trucks on the road are lacking in that area.

I found out later from a gal standing there when I refused to drive the unsafe truck that when I walked away the head mech. said something about whiney truck drivers and the truck boss said we got plenty of brakes already with so many axles, missing a few are no big deal:eek: This is probably the biggest road construction outfit in the state and that's how their trucks are on the highways. They have a bigtime lawyer who gets most all tickets thrown out so safety on the highway is overlooked by everyone important. We were driving these things loaded in traffic at freeway speeds so having working brakes is kinda nice. Here's the pic I took w/my phone when doing my pre-trip - before I left.

lawdog
September 24, 2013, 10:18
Truckers got a cure for other drivers?

I got a cure for truck drivers as well.

It's called knowing the location at all of the state police barracks along the roads that I drive and driving my vehicles with $99 of extra insurance - a Contour HD digital camera attached to a windshield mount with a big old memory card.

Kind of hard to argue your way out of stupid shit and asshole-style driving when it's being recorded and handed over to the state police by someone who is willing to appear and testify.

I saw too many people get hung up when it was just their word against that of other drivers. I gave up on that BS and now let the video do the talking.

Want to play with me just because you're driving an 18 wheeler and I'm not? Okay, let's see how that works out for you. Of course that applies to any other type of vehicle as well.

Think what you do in a car or truck is anonymous anymore? Compact digital recorders and memory cards are too cheap for that to be true.

Bug Tussell
September 24, 2013, 10:47

It's called knowing the location at all of the state police barracks along the roads that I drive and driving my vehicles with $99 of extra insurance - a Contour HD digital camera attached to a windshield mount with a big old memory card.

Kind of hard to argue your way out of stupid shit and asshole-style driving when it's being recorded and handed over to the state police by someone who is willing to appear and testify.

I saw too many people get hung up when it was just their word against that of other drivers. I gave up on that BS and now let the video do the talking.

Want to play with me just because you're driving an 18 wheeler and I'm not? Okay, let's see how that works out for you. Of course that applies to any other type of vehicle as well.

Think what you do in a car or truck is anonymous anymore? Compact digital recorders and memory cards are too cheap for that to be true.

I'm liking this idea. Thanks for the tip.

Used to be you could count on truckers to be professional and courteous. Now you got to watch them like a hawk when approaching. There seems to be a game of whipping over in front of you when you are closing to pass. Doesn't seem to be any reason for the sudden pull over then to keep you on your toes.
I used to have a commercial license and drove the big trucks for the oilfield operations. We were never taught to do that.

Jolly Rodgers
September 24, 2013, 11:23

Our entire fleet of tractors is being outfitted with on-board recorders. In addition to video they record speed, RPM, braking, g-forces, turn signals, and a bunch of other relevant data. They are used to exonerate our drivers as well as help us train and improve the skills and safety of our drivers.

It's only a matter of time before every rig on the road has realtime recording.

garyd1961
September 24, 2013, 14:32

If you are referring to my post I only drove for a year or so but I never had an accident or caused an accident or got a ticket. Also this was 30 years ago so I doubt you had a dash cam back then.
You drive for 20 or 30 miles with an idiot right at your rear wheels that slows down when you slow down and speeds up when you speed up and your exit is coming up and you need to change lanes. All I did was to drift over to edge of the road and back kind of like as if I was getting sleepy and they would usually go on by and let me over.

JAB75
September 24, 2013, 14:57
I tell people that quite frequently. Many believe that if they just say, 'Your truck broke my window' they will get a free one. Doesn't work that way. Road hazards exist everywhere, and shit happens...it is why you carry insurance.

If you find yourself in that situation:

-Get the truck/trailer number and or license plate...just saying it was one of my trucks (out of our135) doesn't narrow it down. This is very important, as it allows us to figure out if there is any validity to your complaint. Without this, you will be S.O.L.

-Screaming at me or another company's Safety Director will not get you anywhere.

-Threatening to call the DOT or Police will not get you anywhere...I already know their agents by name and interact frequently with their organization as do most motor carriers.

-Don't hate the messenger, we are sorry that your windshield is broken, but its not our fault and we will not pay for it.

-If you are a local law enforcement officer, and you say we broke your windshield...I will arrange for SafeLite to come to you to replace your cruisers windshield as a token of our appreciation. :shades:

-JAB75

gunplumber
September 24, 2013, 21:06
-we are sorry that your windshield is broken, but its not our fault and we will not pay for it.

-If you are a local law enforcement officer, and you say we broke your windshield...I will arrange for SafeLite to come to you to replace your cruisers windshield as a token of our appreciation. :shades:

-JAB75

You f-cking hypocrite. If your load is unsecure, it damn well is your fault. That you accept liability when dealing with those who have more pull, and deny it when dealing with those who don't, is a clear indication of your corporate character - scumbags! F-ck you and your company.

shlomo
September 24, 2013, 21:32
You f-cking hypocrite. If your load is unsecure, it damn well is your fault. That you accept liability when dealing with those who have more pull, and deny it when dealing with those who don't, is a clear indication of your corporate character - scumbags! F-ck you and your company.

Scottie!! Take it down a notch, okay? It's creepin' a bit...

http://076dd0a50e0c1255009e-bd4b8aabaca29897bc751dfaf75b290c.r40.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/files/001/356/482/original/original.jpg

gunplumber
September 24, 2013, 21:41
Scottie!! Take it down a notch, okay? It's creepin' a bit...

Thanks, but I worded it very carefully, and edited it twice.

Any person or corporation who is reasonable and conscientious when dealing with someone who can thump them, and a douche bag when dealing with one who cannot, is a lowlife scumbag hypocrite who absolutely deserves derision and contempt.

The "token of our appreciation" is weasel speak for "we know we're liable and you can make our lives miserable if we try to f-ck you like we do everyone else."

12v71
September 24, 2013, 21:44
Myself, I own several trucks ranging from 1 tons up to a good sized F-800. All have full service bodies with mudflaps that nearly drag the ground, We do not carry gravel, rocks, logs, or even beanie babies. Yet once or twice a year that bigger truck seems to attract somebody wanting a free windshield. go figure? Wa state patrol states that if I pick it up off the road way and it hits you. not my issue. Just sayin.:fal:

12v71
September 24, 2013, 21:52
I forgot to mention. The big truck has my name and phone number on the doors, The small ones don't. Coincidence? I don't think so.

JAB75
September 24, 2013, 22:14

I appreciate your sentiment, but Missouri and most states' law is what it is. I routinely have meetings with MO Highway Patrol (they head up the state DOT), county Sheriff deputies, and local constabulary and they all agree that a road hazard is a road hazard. Just because your windshield breaks from a road stone, does not mean we are liable. On the other hand, if the county Sheriff wants money its best to play ball, whether you are liable or not. Its called business.

Under the federal Carmack Agreement, if cargo is unsecured, shifts, or otherwise leaves the truck, then yes motor carriers charged with transport is liable and responsible for any and all damages. Look at 49 U.S.C 14706.

My point is that just because some person demands a free windshield because my truck drove by is ridiculous and not going to happen.

-JAB75

shlomo
September 24, 2013, 22:17
oh shit.

INCOMING!!

http://www.swordsandarmor.com/images/Sir_Christopher_Helmet_Open.JPG

shlomo
September 24, 2013, 22:41
Hmmph. Maybe a false alarm.
http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/images/UTPDs_in_burrow.jpg

I figured for sure he'd try to put a couple cudgel knots on yer noggin, big enough to need some contour lines.

(whew!)

Right Side Up
September 25, 2013, 00:12
From what I've seen around here most truck drivers do a pretty good job of sweeping their trailers, etc. The grooves on truck tires are wider though and pick up a lot of rocks at sites and they come off on the highway. Nothing can be done about that.

I never drive behind anything with big groove tires, but still get a rock on the windshield now and then. I've had one short crack on my passenger side for a few years now. I had the end of the crack drilled and filled and it held up until recently when I hit a really bad pothole, then it spread some.

Bug Tussell
September 25, 2013, 06:46
The trucks I see with the Not Responsible signs are not the semi trucks hauling boxes. The trucks with the signs are the ones that are hauling aggregate - belly dumps and dump trucks.

According to their sign their failure to properly secure their load which may cause damage to your vehicle is not their responsibility.

tigerfans2
September 25, 2013, 08:29
The trucks I see with the Not Responsible signs are not the semi trucks hauling boxes. The trucks with the signs are the ones that are hauling aggregate - belly dumps and dump trucks.

According to their sign their failure to properly secure their load which may cause damage to your vehicle is not their responsibility.

I was behind a semi dump trailer the other day with a "stay back 300 feet" sign, a freaking football field. His trailer had a load and one of those covers that are (obviously) too hard to operate as it wasn't pulled back over the load.

drweiler
September 25, 2013, 08:46
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/drweiler/4568cfd88c6a3ec6b6b0d555912166aa_zps1fe63ebf.jpg

def90
September 25, 2013, 09:11

or

In Colorado there was a big deal a few years back when someone was killed by a rock that came off a truck.. The news had a state patrol officer on TV that stated that despite the signs that the truckers pt on their trucks that say they are not responsible that under Co law they are most definitely responsible for any debris that is thrown up from or out of their truck.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler, with the angle of the windshield anything will put a chip/crack in my windshield. I think the longest I have gone without a crack of some sort was 4 months. My last windshield was replaced after a car in front of me threw up a 3 inch pin of some sort that almost made it all the way through the glass. I was showered with glass particles and thankfully I was wearing my sunglasses at the time. I couldn't tell which car it came from.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/550622_4453828785321_1527931268_n.jpg

gunplumber
September 25, 2013, 09:34
if the county Sheriff wants money its best to play ball, whether you are liable or not. Its called business.

It's called cowardice, and lack of moral character. It can also be called extortion or bribery depending on which angle you look at it.

Under the federal Carmack Agreement, if cargo is unsecured, shifts, or otherwise leaves the truck, then yes motor carriers charged with transport is liable and responsible for any and all damages. Look at 49 U.S.C 14706.

But you deny anyone without power - your words, not mine.

Having driven explosives, cluster bombs, rockets, or aviation fuel, (and laundry!) in CA, NM, AZ, OR, NV and TX; I am not completely ignorant of the topic.

My point is that just because some person demands a free windshield because my truck drove by is ridiculous and not going to happen.

except if they have a badge. Because you are pussy. Now I understand that sometimes it is cheaper to pay off Boss Hogg than to be a man, but I'd have thunk you'd be ashamed of yourself, not bragging about it.

tac-40
September 25, 2013, 09:54
Having spent the last 20+ years driving on the road watching for potential violators (I'm a cop so sue me), I have seen only a few trucks who had something come off their truck and strike the following vehicles. Most of the time the rock or other item actually was picked up by the tires and tossed into the air. THAT is not the truck's fault but is a road hazard. The truck isn't responsible for replacing the broken glass, but many drivers think it is. Other times the rock is stuck in between the truck tire treads and eventually works it way out. Trucks that are used in construction or are driven off pavement have this happen a lot. That is the reason for the Keep Back signs.

Go check you vehicle tires. I'll bet you have some rocks stuck in the treads. If those come loose on the highway, they are sure to damage glass. Are you responsible for the damage because you didn't remove the rocks before driving? I think not.

brunop
September 25, 2013, 11:13
It's called cowardice, and lack of moral character...

except if they have a badge. Because you are pussy. Now I understand that sometimes it is cheaper to pay off Boss Hogg than to be a man, but I'd have thunk you'd be ashamed of yourself, not bragging about it.

What? No one around here will say it?

Mark, you are retarded. By which I mean to say that you never grew up, and pretend to be "manly" by saying stupid and/or illogical things from the safety of your keyboard.

I'm not suggesting that JAB75 would beat your ass if you called him a "pussy" to his face when he explained that he feels like he wants to be left alone and keep operating his business instead of being flogged by state troopers, but you are pretty dang sure you'll never have to find out, aren't you? What a man!!

:rolleyes:

gunplumber
September 25, 2013, 11:27

Mark, you are retarded. By which I mean to say that you never grew up, and pretend to be "manly" by saying stupid and/or illogical things from the safety of your keyboard.

I'm not suggesting that JAB75 would beat your ass if you called him a "pussy" to his face when he explained that he feels like he wants to be left alone and keep operating his business instead of being flogged by state troopers, but you are pretty dang sure you'll never have to find out, aren't you? What a man!!

I'd say it to his face. I'd say it to the police department. That's the point. It's called integrity. He, and the company he represents, are moral cowards, for f-cking the little guy but kissing ass to power. The sad thing is that I'm the only one calling him out on it.

There is no courage in standing for right with no risk or consequences. And yes, I've suffered for my integrity, but that's ok, 'cause that's who I want to see when I look in the mirror.

shlomo
September 25, 2013, 11:35
I'd say it to his face. I'd say it to the police department. That's the point. It's called integrity. He, and the company he represents, are moral cowards, for f-cking the little guy but kissing ass to power. The sad thing is that I'm the only one calling him out on it.

Now we know ya don't wear them glasses for nothin'. ;)

flight 556
September 25, 2013, 19:17
Try this:

Not responsible for shots fired at trucks not responsible for broken windshields

L Haney
September 25, 2013, 19:30

Mark, you are retarded. By which I mean to say that you never grew up,...

You're just saying that because he wears socks with sandals. You do realize he could switch to all upper case? Then where the phuck would we be?

Ah, the ASCII of it all.

fnogger
September 25, 2013, 19:39
Divisive... here in Fl. a windshield is BS - your insurance replaces w/o deductible, by state law. You do have insurance right?

On the other hand, I've seen serious body work damage from a chunk of bark/wood falling off a load of much from the top... if it had been 2 or 3 inches over and 2 or 3 inches down, would've punched a nice hole in the windshield, instead it put a softball size dent in the corner where the windshield meets the body, which spider'd the glass (of course), screwed up how the door fit and sealed, etc.

gunplumber
September 25, 2013, 21:15
My buddy has had good luck. On one, a boulder fell off, bounced over his car and killed the driver of the car behind him. Another time, a series of calves stepped off the back of a cattle truck, when the doors were not secured. He was able to swerve around them and finally notify the oblivious driver.

"Not responsible for calves coming through your windshield - stay back 500 feet"

shlomo
September 25, 2013, 21:18
I must have better luck. None a that shite has ever happened to me.

shlomo
September 26, 2013, 05:04
I see there's been a whoooooole lotta moderatin' goin on 'round heah. :shades:

tac-40
September 26, 2013, 17:31
I see there's been a whoooooole lotta moderatin' goin on 'round heah

The count is 3 and 2 bottom of the 9th, bases loaded with 2 outs.:love:

Just kidding.

Back to the original thread topic. Most States differentiate from losing a load (stuff coming out the bed, container, or box) and a road hazzard that no one has control over. Losing a load damage can be grounds for compensation for repairs, etc. if you are able to get the tag number or carrier name.

I must have better luck. None a that shite has ever happened to me.

You are luckier than you think. I believe it was last year that Georgia settled a multi-million dollar lawsuit because a piece of pavement was picked up by a truck and thrown through the windshield of the car behind it, killing the passenger. Happened on one of the Interstates around Atlanta. Jury found it wasn't the truck's fault but the State's for not taking steps to fix the road after several other vehicles reported damage caused by the same thing.

Womper
September 26, 2013, 18:17
I thought about this thread this afternoon on my way to work as a rock smacked my windshield.....no damage!! It came off of a trailer with a small tractor being towed by a 1 ton truck. My vehicle is new to me and I've been waiting for this to happen. Maybe that's it for a while.

19&41
September 26, 2013, 20:02
Every time I see a dumptruck in the ATL metro area they never seem to have license plates. they always have those disclaimers, though.

jimmertoons
September 26, 2013, 21:28
3 windshields in 2 years. 2 compliment of Lightning Ventures, 1 compliment of DG Coleman. Called both companies while still following the fricking trucks, was told the same bullshit. Not responsible. Asked if I had proof if it was their fault. One was a belly dump, empty (mostly) with the belly open going down the interstate. Driver flipped me off when I passed him. GD mexican.......
Got behind another pos from a local roofing company, hauling 3/8" pea gravel. I know because I watched the shit fall out of his f'ed up tail gate. EVERYONE on the highway was scattering from behind him. Watched several drivers flip him off as they passed him. Called Denver's finest just as I hit the Denver line going southbound on I-25 in the middle of town, and couldn't get anyone there to take a report. Finally got it through some dipshits thick skull about the time I hit the south end of Denver. Yup, that drive takes almost 10 minutes.
Is this a sore spot with me, you bet. I drive around 50k a year for work, and I see this irresponsible shit all too often. I think the local LE's just don"t want to screw around with the paperwork for busting illegals that drive many of the aggregate trucks around Denver.
I understand that the rock laying on the road might get picked up by a tire. My problem is I guaran-damn-tee that rock didn't just blow there on the wind. Some other asshole dropped it.
BTW, my insurance company doesn't cover windshields.

Stranger
September 26, 2013, 21:44

Uh, no. Mark recognized and called out someone with unacceptable behavior. JAB75 essentially stated he was willing to commit acts of vandalism and bribe the law to stay off his back. That is bullshit and not something to let slide.

This isn't exactly a Sunday School class, but right is right and wrong is wrong.

JAB75
September 26, 2013, 23:16
Uh, no. Mark recognized and called out someone with unacceptable behavior. JAB75 essentially stated he was willing to commit an acts of vandalism and bribe the law to stay off his back. That is bullshit and not something to let slide.

This isn't exactly a Sunday School class, but right is right and wrong is wrong.

I don't recall stating anything close to condoning vandalism and paying off law enforcement to stay away. The fact is that there are scum bag drivers on both sides of the fence. The law is clear as to where the liability rests with my company in relation to our operations. The reality is that the majority of our fleet pulls dry vans loaded with various consumables. Guess what, they don't haul rock, yet they get the majority of the windshield claims for rocks! How could that be?

As far as Mr. Graham calling me a moral coward and pussy...doesn't bother me at all. The fact that he is unable to grasp the concept of playing ball with local LEO doesn't surprise me in the least. A $100 windshield in a cruiser was cheap insurance that paid for itself 10x over. I didn't like it, we were not liable, yet I made the call to pay for it so I could help ensure the livelihood of my drivers. Ron White said it best, 'You can't fix stupid, its forever.'

-JAB75

Right Side Up
September 26, 2013, 23:28
All this talk of rocks is childs play. Treads coming off truck tires used to be a serious problem. I was on the highway once and the pickup truck in front of me ran over a truck tire shed shed and it flipped up in the air and landed on my windshield, almost smashing all the way through and coming inside the car.

If I had been on my motor-scooter I'd have been FN toast.

They must be re-treading truck tires better these days. Haven't seen a shed in a long time around here.

Bug Tussell
September 27, 2013, 13:52
I was blasting around Dallas on the loop highway with something like six lanes of traffic (mebbe more), surrounded on both sides by Texas drivers and all of a sudden the cars in front of me are whipping left and right to avoid the wheelbarrow in the middle of the lane.

Missed it by that much.

Kept my pants clean too.

Jolly Rodgers
September 27, 2013, 14:46
They must be re-treading truck tires better these days. Haven't seen a shed in a long time around here.

I think most of the retread sheds are from drivers that decide it's easier to just keep going with one of the duals flat rather than stop and change it out on the road. It doesn't take too many miles for that flat tire to come apart.

jimmbob
September 27, 2013, 15:05
truck tires coming apart can be deadly, for people on the road and the tire guy

rocks are'nt always childs play. I did bellydump train/dump truck trlr for 6 yrs. When you go in the dirt sometimes you get a softballplus sized rock stuck between your duals. I ALWAYS checked mine before going back out on public roads. I even carried a chain just for the task of getting rocks out of my duals if the sledge did'nt work. Most drivers don't check because it's a race all day long and if you get passed the boss is breathing down your neck. They figure once you get going fast enough it'll fly out and probably won't hit any cars (which is hopefully true) unless it blows your tires. You got a rock like that stuck between your duals and it comes out at 40 - 50 MPH it's not a good scene.

The argument is not if it's legal or not, it's a fact - a lot of these trucks are not safe in a lot of areas so it's common sense to be aware and give them some room, kind of a self preservation technique:wink:

There's a lot of idiots in cars out there and also a whole lot more than you are aware of complete, did I say COMPLETE idiots in trucks on the road next to you that can kill you without even knowing it till it happens and then maybe even not.

Next story,

a guy I worked with driving a 105,500 lb. truck trailer that adjusted half his brakes completely loose(turned the slack adjusters the wrong way) proceeded to pass me at 50 :eek: MPH down a hill so steep I was only going 30 MPH(w/perfectly adjusted brakes) because that's all the faster I could go up it(old guy thing I guess:wink:). He ended up blasting thru the red light at the bottom of the hill LOADED on his airhorn barely avoiding a really bad accident. No brakes left whatsoever. When he parked his truck on a good day when he did'nt even have any hills to go down you could still smell his brakes 20 minutes after he parked it.

more stories to come, got plenty

Bug Tussell
September 27, 2013, 15:07
I was right next to a semi when a tire blew. It rocked my car and startled the shit out of me.

No damage.

jimmbob
September 27, 2013, 15:25
I think most of the retread sheds are from drivers that decide it's easier to just keep going with one of the duals flat rather than stop and change it out on the road. It doesn't take too many miles for that flat tire to come apart.

^^ exactly ^^

nowadays I think most are too stupid to notice a flat or even are too ignorant to do a tire thump/general truck inspection when at a stop. My good friend is a mobile truck/trailer mechanic and he goes on countless service calls at 60 bucks an hour(not to mention what the company he works for charges) to replace GLADHAND RUBBERS ! A THREE hour service call to replace a gladhand rubber ONE minute simple job at the most, OK - these are the guys driving right next to you on the big hi-way. If they run into me my family may win in a court of law but I'll be dead either way - I think I'll keep my distance and be aware and alive rather than ignorant and stupid from AZ claiming the truck driver broke the law:wink:

SWOHFAL
September 27, 2013, 16:19
truck tires coming apart can be deadly, for people on the road and the tire guy

rocks are'nt always childs play. I did bellydump train/dump truck trlr for 6 yrs. When you go in the dirt sometimes you get a softballplus sized rock stuck between your duals. I ALWAYS checked mine before going back out on public roads. I even carried a chain just for the task of getting rocks out of my duals if the sledge did'nt work. Most drivers don't check because it's a race all day long and if you get passed the boss is breathing down your neck. They figure once you get going fast enough it'll fly out and probably won't hit any cars (which is hopefully true) unless it blows your tires. You got a rock like that stuck between your duals and it comes out at 40 - 50 MPH it's not a good scene.

The argument is not if it's legal or not, it's a fact - a lot of these trucks are not safe in a lot of areas so it's common sense to be aware and give them some room, kind of a self preservation technique:wink:

There's a lot of idiots in cars out there and also a whole lot more than you are aware of complete, did I say COMPLETE idiots in trucks on the road next to you that can kill you without even knowing it till it happens and then maybe even not.

Next story,

a guy I worked with driving a 105,500 lb. truck trailer that adjusted half his brakes completely loose(turned the slack adjusters the wrong way) proceeded to pass me at 50 :eek: MPH down a hill so steep I was only going 30 MPH(w/perfectly adjusted brakes) because that's all the faster I could go up it(old guy thing I guess:wink:). He ended up blasting thru the red light at the bottom of the hill LOADED on his airhorn barely avoiding a really bad accident. No brakes left whatsoever. When he parked his truck on a good day when he did'nt even have any hills to go down you could still smell his brakes 20 minutes after he parked it.

more stories to come, got plenty

Ever see a full-size 88 go airborne because the truck riding his ass miscalculated? I have.

JAB75
September 27, 2013, 20:26
Here are a few photos from some of my recently closed cases.

The first one was a gal merging in heavy traffic outside of Chitcago...notice the lane marker in the spot mirror, she expected our tractor to yield to her 'right of way'. Her insurance company tried to subrogate damages against us...claim denied.

The second was a DWI male driver that never stopped and ran right into the ICC bumper while our guy was stopped at a traffic light. BAC .24...the claim was settled in our favor by their insurance company. Because he was towed, this accident is listed on our safety record.

The third was a woman in an F150 that ran into the ICC bumper while we were stopped at a traffic light. Broad daylight...she was in a rush during her lunch hour. This claim was settled by their insurance company. Because she was towed, this accident is also listed on our safety record.

-JAB75

12v71
September 27, 2013, 20:54
^^ exactly ^^

nowadays I think most are too stupid to notice a flat or even are too ignorant to do a tire thump/general truck inspection when at a stop. My good friend is a mobile truck/trailer mechanic and he goes on countless service calls at 60 bucks an hour(not to mention what the company he works for charges) to replace GLADHAND RUBBERS ! A THREE hour service call to replace a gladhand rubber ONE minute simple job at the most, OK - these are the guys driving right next to you on the big hi-way. If they run into me my family may win in a court of law but I'll be dead either way - I think I'll keep my distance and be aware and alive rather than ignorant and stupid from AZ claiming the truck driver broke the law:wink:
JB. I have a better one. A nationwide company that runs all orange rigs called me out of bed at 1 in the morning, the brakes were locked on a trailer at a rest area 45 miles away. So I head out to fix it, I get there and the brake lights are on... Trailer valve on the steering column. Apparently Mr. driver and his sleeper creeper had bumped it playing around in the cab. 150$ an hr for 4 hrs. I did tell the dispatcher what the issue really was. He probably still drives an orange truck though.:fal:

gunplumber
September 28, 2013, 10:24
JB. I have a better one. A nationwide company that runs all orange rigs called me out of bed at 1 in the morning, the brakes were locked on a trailer at a rest area 45 miles away. So I head out to fix it, I get there and the brake lights are on... Trailer valve on the steering column. Apparently Mr. driver and his sleeper creeper had bumped it playing around in the cab. 150$ an hr for 4 hrs. I did tell the dispatcher what the issue really was. He probably still drives an orange truck though.:fal:

Happened to me once when I was a new driver. Brakes started smoking. Pulled over. Couldn't figure out why they engaged. But I didn't know enough to do anything but methodically trace the whole system in a thorough PMCS. Turns out, occasionally my knuckle would touch the trailer brake on turns, until millimeter by millimeter, it started to engage.

12v71
September 28, 2013, 13:38
Happened to me once when I was a new driver. Brakes started smoking. Pulled over. Couldn't figure out why they engaged. But I didn't know enough to do anything but methodically trace the whole system in a thorough PMCS. Turns out, occasionally my knuckle would touch the trailer brake on turns, until millimeter by millimeter, it started to engage.
Yep. Been there done that myself. Just happened to be in a 10 ton surplus military truck, M-123? Anyway I was wearing heavy winter gloves with same result and trying to climb a steep, slushy ,muddy, grade. It pulled much easier when I discovered my goof.

evan price
October 03, 2013, 06:38
Years back I was on the interstate behind a construction company straight truck hauling palletized load on the flatbed. Shrink wrapped. There were pallets of acoustic ceiling tiles. Suddenly they started peeling off the stack (guess one of the packages tore in the wind) and I had a flat acoustic drop cieling panel smacked onto my widnshield, jammed in the cowl screen and wipers. NO idea how it happened, I couldn't get it to duplicate it if my life depended on it. Cracked the windshield, busted the plastic cowl screen (Ford Mustang 1984) and gave me a pants check because of zero visibility in traffic at 65 MPH!

Pulled over, removed the panel, put it in my trunk. Chased the truck down the highway, followed him to the exit, wrote down the info on the door and license plate, told the driver what happened, he told me I was full of sh*t and to f*ck off.

Called the company, the fleet manager told me pretty much the same thing. Left my info with him to give to the safety director.
Next day I got a phone call, seems the customer who ordered the panels complained they were short a bunch of panels because the load came open in transit, the driver confirmed he hadn't tarped the load and had talked to me, where should they send the check?

Last month I had a car in the next lane over run over a wooden 2x4 on the road, kicked it back, a big chunk of it went straight into the windshield of my Sequoia and gave my wife the heebie jeebies as well as a spiderwebbed windshield the size of a dinner plate.

Thank God for zero deductible glass riders.