PDA

View Full Version : When the USAF almost nuked NC....

SWOHFAL
September 21, 2013, 13:56
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/21/atomic-bomb-nearly-exploded-over-north-carolina-in-161-report-says/?intcmp=latestnews

Too bad it wasn't NJ.

meltblown
September 21, 2013, 14:10
Read it earlier. I just keep getting the image of Slim Pickens riding it down. Although from a technical standpoint the article doesn't give a decent explanation of why this circuit would be vulnerable. So, maybe not so big of a deal

SWOHFAL
September 21, 2013, 14:48
Read it earlier. I just keep getting the image of Slim Pickens riding it down. Although from a technical standpoint the article doesn't give a decent explanation of why this circuit would be vulnerable. So, maybe not so big of a deal

Depending on the physical distance between contacts, it's conceivable that impact might've created a closed circuit.

BUFF
September 21, 2013, 15:39
"No Easy Days - Snakes In The Cockpit" talks about a B-52 dropping a nuke somewhere in the mid-west or mid-south, probably after a collision, that fell into a field and buried itself so deeply that it was never recovered. It's still there.

As many nuclear weapons as there are all around the world, in the hands of all sorts of levels of competence and malice, it's just flat amazing we haven't had one go off.

**** I just checked my reference, and it was the second bomb from the same B-52 mentioned in the original posting's article that is still buried in the field outside Goldsboro, N.C. The Air Force knows where it is, and has purchased an easement around the site to keep somebody from digging too deep. Boy, I feel a LOT better.

tac-40
September 21, 2013, 15:40
I guess the nuke still buried in the mud outside of Savannah doesn't make the news anymore. If that one goes off, Charleston won't have to worry about dredging for a deep water harbor any more.:devil:

meltblown
September 21, 2013, 15:54
Depending on the physical distance between contacts, it's conceivable that impact might've created a closed circuit.

I agree, but what was the premise? Obviously the contacts didn't close. Plus this was the year I was born. Thank God I didn't live in NC. I was lucky. I lived in Key West while the ole man was about to retire 3 years later and I was shitting my diapers and eating mayonnaise sandwiches while they were stirring up shit in Cuba . He was in the WWII sub service. Then had worked in Albaqwirky NM, (place in the desert) installing the triggers and shit as an electrician. He was a submarine EM. So point being is that the damn thing didn't go off. Technology is very different then than now.

TheRussian
September 22, 2013, 08:44
I remember reading about that years ago, very interesting

L Haney
September 22, 2013, 09:47
Technology is very different then than now.

Yup.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
September 22, 2013, 21:55
"No Easy Days - Snakes In The Cockpit" talks about a B-52 dropping a nuke somewhere in the mid-west or mid-south, probably after a collision, that fell into a field and buried itself so deeply that it was never recovered. It's still there.

As many nuclear weapons as there are all around the world, in the hands of all sorts of levels of competence and malice, it's just flat amazing we haven't had one go off.

**** I just checked my reference, and it was the second bomb from the same B-52 mentioned in the original posting's article that is still buried in the field outside Goldsboro, N.C. The Air Force knows where it is, and has purchased an easement around the site to keep somebody from digging too deep. Boy, I feel a LOT better.

Yeah, but it's a hydrogen bomb. That thing makes the Japan nukes look like firecrackers.
If that thing goes off, N.C. Will cease to exist.

J308
September 22, 2013, 22:48
Yeah, but it's a hydrogen bomb. That thing makes the Japan nukes look like firecrackers.

Aw c'mon, it's only 260x bigger'n those. NC will still exist...

In some slightly modified form!

ExCdnSoldierInTx
September 23, 2013, 20:06
Aw c'mon, it's only 260x bigger'n those. NC will still exist...

In some slightly modified form!

Yeah,
As a smoking hole surrounded by the world's largest self illuminating parking lot.

L Haney
September 23, 2013, 20:49

It can't "go off" anymore. It can just sit and age. All the interesting bits have been sheared off and it's just a piece of radioactive waste at this point. Way down in the dirt.

Tuhlmann
September 23, 2013, 21:01
I bet that low-voltage switch didn't have a MADE IN CHINA sticker applied to it's backside.....

ExCdnSoldierInTx
September 23, 2013, 21:09
I bet that low-voltage switch didn't have a MADE IN CHINA sticker applied to it's backside.....

No shit