PDA

View Full Version : british s10 gas masks

splattermatic
September 27, 2001, 08:55
i have an oportunity to buy some and can't find much info on these,,,HELP,,,,
are they any good, and bad points , avail. of canisters, rated for,,??????????????????

thanks all

mark

chuck1
September 27, 2001, 10:45
The Brit S10 masks rate vrey well from some older articles I have read. They seal better over a couple days groth of facial hair than most of the american masks and it uses standard nato 40mm filters. It has a drinking tube but you have to have a special canteen to use it as it doesnt fit our coupling. Another draw back is the filter is can not be changed to different sides for left handed shooters. Pakistan made a copy of the S 10 for it's own use and there are some of those floating around out there along with the Brit S10s. Check before buying that the valves aren't worn out and still soft and plyable because spares are very ard to come by for the european masks.

fresca
September 27, 2001, 15:18
They are supposed to have very low breathing resistance, important if your running or doing physical labor.

alan a
September 27, 2001, 17:33
Do they automatically leap onto your face when an indetectable biotoxin floats into your home? If not, they sound pretty pointless.

splattermatic
September 27, 2001, 17:38
well i want them for 2 reasons smart ass,
1st just in case of a known release of some sort.
and 2nd i work around h2s gas , and would like something other than the plastic bag, and o2 bottle atached that i have to pull over my head..and yes there is warning when h2s escapes out of the wells......

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: splattermatic ]

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: splattermatic ]

StirFry
September 27, 2001, 18:04
Gee thanks. It's nice to know us Californians aren't appreciated :p Anyways, I saw a review that mentioned a it was comparable to the US gas masks. The ones issued before the large single paned ones....

BTW: It would be real neat if they did leap onto your face upon detection but would that mean they'd be contaminated? Of course, I guess it would be both frightenning and dangerous if it did. Can you imagine WECSOGing with a dremel and being suprised? Hmmmm.. exposed wounds to bio/chem agents could be bad....

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: StirFry ]

splattermatic
September 27, 2001, 18:48
okay, i take it back, i've got no beef with californians, just the ones who have to put comments like that in..
i have been wanting one for quiet awhile, shoulda got one when they were cheap, but oh well, might as well pay the price for a good one,, don't want to find out that it leaked when i was in the middle of an h2s leak... :eek:
thanks got em ordered as well as some new filters..

RRotz
September 27, 2001, 19:08
Originally posted by alan a:
<STRONG>Do they automatically leap onto your face when an indetectable biotoxin floats into your home? If not, they sound pretty pointless.</STRONG>

There is chemical detection paper strips available to provide some kind of warning. You can only prepare for such a threat and give your family some sort of comfort knowing you are aware of the situation.

alan a
September 27, 2001, 19:53
Some folks have no sense of humor.

True, gas masks might offer some protection against some chemicals. However, staring at a litmus strip 24/7 for signs of a chem attack doesn't fit my lifestyle.

And, there is no meaningful protection against BW ... period. Well, on second thought, the terrs might fly overhead and drop leaflets saying "You American Satans, we are dispersing BWs in your neighborhood tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. You will die like infidels."

For that eventuality, maybe I better go buy a mask.

WJ-Polish Guy
September 27, 2001, 21:03
What make me wonder, why to assume that attack going to be biological? Anybody have some Inteligence on that? :rolleyes:

As I see it those dudes did not bring nothing with them exept the money. They keep operation simple and foolproof.
How do they going to hijack tanker of amtrax? By storming military base?
Hijack a semi tanker with hazmat, or maybe even whole train make more sense to me....

As for 24-7 chemo detection of unscented agents, buy yourself singing bird, like canary or something... That is an `ole miners trick... bird dead equal gas... hehe :D

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: WJ-Polish Guy ]

alpha
September 27, 2001, 21:38
If you want detectors and that sort of thing you are probably looking for M8 and M9 paper. They are used for: M8 = Liquid forms of Nerve and Blister agent. M9 = Liquid agent of unknown origin. Also, you can go buy M256 detector kits (tests vapor) and you could even go buy a CAM (chemical agent monitor... it's badass and truly expensive). Just remember that if you are dealing with the 'B' part of NBC (bio attack), there aren't really any 'good' tests for the initial exposure... you really are best off keeping an eye out for people getting sick... unless of course you spot someone crop dusting the downtown area of your town. I'd be a bit suspicious right about then. Anyhow, most military detector stuff you are going to find deals mainly with Nerve, Blister and Choking agents... all stuff that is kinda difficult to manufacture and deploy... I'd be more afraid of Small Pox or some kind of hopped up Infulenza. If you see on the news a large outbreak of something weird in your area... it's time to duct tape the windows and stay home! :eek: :eek: