PDA

View Full Version : Oh! Man! Talk me outta this......

Deltaten
September 05, 2011, 16:56
Went with justa to the N. end of the Chesapeake yesterday ta look at some boats. Seems he wants ta build one and I thought it would be a good idea to see if there was some pull-outs/derelicts/hulls to see before he sank a ton of $$ into material.

All's well, so far...

Years now, I've toyed with the idea of a boat. Even went so far as to build a 15 foot day-sailor back some 20 yrs ago..Never finished; some 'cause I found a few pulls that needed some TLC only to be ready, rather than another several hundred $$ in the glass and resin dept. !
:eek:

SO, passing all the beautifully sleek and somewhat disheveled beauties, I started thinking again....

I know... trouble ;)

Ended up coming home and perusing Craig's List and , lo and behold, we BOTH found what would pass for fulfilling our separate dreams..

Mine has been a nicely rounded, mini, "blue" water boat. Best in that class for me for appeal and worthyness is the Com-Pac line. When I considered them a few....mebbe 15 yrs ago. they were all running 6 k used! Way outta my reach. Now that the 16 footer is out of print and the new models have been in a while, it seems most of the little "pocket" cruisers are down in price .... some. Most run from hi 3K to low 6K depending on year and amenities.

Found one about an hour and a half W. of me for a decent price. 1983 Com-Pac 16 (pre -2) line for a paltry 1600 OBO ! Dunno if a trailer is with it, for that price, prolly not!? I *may* just call him tomorrow and ask some pertinant ??... but then I *know* I'll wanna take a drive to go see it. Have a trailer that I could haul it on! :D

Question is... Do I wanna let it go or flip it on to the plastic so's it' does't get away? Lord knows, the work's been slow and winter's coming; but that little voice in my head's been nagging at me saying"; "What a deal!" LOL
SO, will it be buyer's remorse; or self-ass-kicking for not pulling the plug?

Reason this came up again was the potential to live-aboard and only hafta pay slip fees. Hmmmm...a possibility given impending (in a couple years) retirement. Would need something a tad larger, tho; hence the trip to the marina. Depending on style, a 28 footer would be enuff;)

Anyone else here into wind-power small boats?

Not really a quandry; as I know I shouldn''t....but......I could always sell off some over-stock ammo/gunz/bits'n'pieces? or a kidney! LOL

:biggrin:

Thorack
September 05, 2011, 17:16
Well,

My BIL says BOAT is acronym. Stands for," 'bout another thousand" when anything needs to be done to it. He has bought and sold, later about 4 boats. My Stepfather liked his boat for about 24 months then sold it. Now my FIL has had a sail boat for about six years and hasn't complained yet, some folks say he's not right in the head though.

Thorack

carguym14
September 05, 2011, 18:23
Go for it.

You only live once and you aint gettin any younger-if it brings ya some happiness (even short lived),wont it be worth it??

I miss sailing and the water............maybe someday again.

DYNOMIKE
September 05, 2011, 19:21
Whenever I get the urge/sickness for a Boat, I just take a ride on someone else's fer a bit..
Cures me quick and the vaccine lasts several years..

Unless I could do it w/out storage and trailer I'll never have one.. Just too much work and too much waisted $$...

If'n it makes you happy though by all means make make it happen.. :wink:

Snakeshot
September 05, 2011, 19:39
Firearms are a far better investment.

L Haney
September 05, 2011, 19:51
My older brother had a 41' Chesapeake Deadrise with a Detroit 671 innit'. Brought it down the inland water way to Savannah. The fishing (crab boat) gear had been pulled and he'd made some small changes to it, not all that much. He liked it a lot but his schedule got to where he couldn't spend time with it. Given 2 months and about 5 grand I could have made that thing my home. Paul, get it, and upgrade later if you need to.

davesrb
September 05, 2011, 20:12
Yeah, love blue water pocket cruisers. For live-a-board you will want something a tad larger I would think. I lived on board my Dad's old Island Packet 38 foot sloop for a year back when I was just out of college. That boat had a ton of room. I spent a few weeks on a 30 foot J Boat. While spartan it was comfortable and could be retro fitted with every thing you would need to live aboard.

Remember, unless you go big, you are going to be using a Marina's laundry facilities. Insurance, dock fee's, maintenance still add up to less than a mortgage...

mosbysmen
September 05, 2011, 20:20
you only go around once , go for the boat .

RG Coburn
September 05, 2011, 22:06
If you know what you are looking at,and what to look for,what the heck? Go for it. It usually helps to sleep on it for a day or so. I'm not familiar with the boat you describe,but I've had my share of lemons(Galaxy with 470 outdrive)and really good boats. I have 4 boats now,if you count my Radisson canoe..

4 brigada
September 05, 2011, 23:01
I heard someone say this about boat ownership that "one only enjoy two days, the day one buys it and the day one gets rid of it".

catmguy445
September 05, 2011, 23:51
You're aware, or at least should be, of the definition of a boat, right? A boat is a hole in the water that you attempt to fill up with money. While I love being at sea, three years and change aboard a Destroyer pretty much cured me of wanting my own boat.

However, it didn't cure one of my shipmates. He and his brother were from Maryland somewhere around the Baltimore area, and they found a Cheoy Lee 38' Teak sloop originally built in Hong Kong that had found its way to the Chesapeake Bay area and was in need of fixing up in order to be seaworthy. Steve (my buddy) sent about half of his paycheck to his brother each payday to go toward boat repairs, and did this for a little over two years that we were stationed together.

I looked him up a couple of years after I got off of active duty, and the boat was mostly finished. The original idea was that Steve and his brother were going to rig the boat with tradewind sails as well as the standard rigging and take her around the world, kind of working their way from port to port a la the Route 66 tv show of the late '50's. However, by the time they got the boat seaworthy and ready to go, both of them had gotten married, which pretty much effectively canceled the voyage. They took the Kandahar (that was the name of the boat) out on the Chesapeake a few times, and I think they once took her out in the Atlantic and sailed up around the Boston area, but that was about it. Most of the time she was tied up to a pier. They wound up selling the Kandahar after they started having kids. The boat just ate up too much money.

But you're a big boy and you most likely know all the joys and pitfalls of boat ownership. Just remember when you're making your decision, think about the two happiest days in a boat owner's life. One is the day he buys the boat. The other is the day he sells it. It's the time in between that can get interesting.

I noticed that you're from Lancaster. I grew up in York from third grade through high school, and in first and second grade my family lived in Towson, MD. I still miss shoofly pie and Utz potato chips and real, honest-to-god PA dutch soft pretzels. The soft pretzels they sell at every mall now are crap compared to the ones I had as a kid. I also miss Taylor Pork Roll, which you can't get west of the Mississippi. I'm not real sure they sell it anywhere other than New Jersey, Delaware, eastern PA, Maryland, and a little bit of northern Virginia. They damn sure don't sell it in Idaho.:(

We have something else in common, too. I was one of Tom Dornaus and Mike Dixon's dealers for the Bren Ten 10mm Auto back in the 80's, and I still have two of them, one unfired, and the other with one mag of ammo through it. I still have the original white boxes, complete with diapers, one magazine for each pistol, and an ammo can full of the original Norma 10mm ammo.

Good luck with the boat, and let us know what happens.

Right Side Up
September 06, 2011, 00:03
Objects that float or **** are cheaper rented than owned.

Insider
September 06, 2011, 02:26
A boat is a hole in the water you throw your money in.

one hand clapping
September 06, 2011, 07:38
how bout split'n the difference? ya gets yer self a under 30' footer that you can haul home/ work on your self. If you are planning on keeping a land base.
you could use it to store all yer ammo as ballast and install waterproof tubes to store yer firearms and assorted gear.Then you park that sucker pointed in my direction , so when the BIG wave from the pole shift sweeps over the atlantic coast., you can surf it with yer treasures all the way down here. Just remember to tackto port after getting flushed thru the cumberland gap.

I hope what ever you decide it brings you happiness---

a boat ? really?

OHC

alphadog58
September 06, 2011, 07:39
BOAT does mean Break Out Another Thousand, especially if you are paying someone to work on your boat. The yard where my boat lives in the summer bills at $100/hour for service work, and they bill $85/hour for the woodwork that I do for them. I do all the work on my boat myself, that's the only way its affordable for me.
A 16' sailboat of any configuration I consider a day sailor. I know that the Mini Transat boats aren't much bigger, but that's a niche part of the sport.
I wouldn't consider living on anything smaller than 30'. A Nonesuch would be a good choice. They're a modern catboat with a huge windsurfer style mainsail, and are like ballrooms down below. Diesel power is the best option for any sailboat with an inboard.
There should be thousands of insurance totaled boats available in the Chesapeake area after Irene. You should be able to find just about anything... There were tens of thousands after Katrina.
Larry

hkshooter
September 06, 2011, 08:02
The happiest day of a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it.
As far as blowboats, that's why they made engines.

cpd109
September 06, 2011, 11:43
Originally posted by hkshooter
The happiest day of a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

You show your ignorance in calling a sail boat a "blow boat".

Find out how they work and get back to me.

Until then, make people you don't know just wonder if you are ignorant or not by keeping your trap shut.

Have a nice day.

BTW, I can sail a boat a whole lot further on $10 than a person who has to motor around.

Deltaten
September 06, 2011, 13:13
I figger'd HK was just chain-pulling! ;) He prolly has a stink-pot, anyway LOL I find the tranquility of a lapping bow wave and a freshening breeze much more stimulating than even the throatiest purr of a motor boat.
The sixteen-footer is a stop-gap/learning curve measure, besides being a lot of fun!:D I dabbled about a bit 20-some years ago. Built to almost completion a 15 footer of close to the same hull design. Ended up with a sailing dink just for S&G. Found that something as wide as I am tall might be a bit more comfortable. I figger'd something I could single-hand, trailer easily and stay reasonably dry for near two-season sailing was the ticket.

A couple years ago I gave consideration to the idea of taking a week long course (which would either take the edge off or add to it!) and becoming certified, so I could rent a big day-sailer as I wished...rather than having bux sitting in the yard most of the year. Worked out better dollar-wise. Hasn;t happened yet..mebbe next season???

Now, considering the option of live-aboard, I can almost feel the swells and roll in my pins ;) Might be better to get wet again in a small way; rather than to scrounge the funds to plunk down cash for a full-size, live aboard hull to start!

AT below half the running price for this unit, I could pick it up, do the TLC and refurbish, sail it for a season and flip it for a profit...mebbe?!:)

Naaaahhhhh! Guess I'll just pay the bills come January instead ;)

alphadog58
September 06, 2011, 14:04
Boy, that was a short lived interest!
Paul, if you ever find yourself in SE CT during the summer, I have access to a number of different sailboats that I could borrow for a day of sailing. You would be welcome aboard. hkshooter, you too.
I like all boats. I have a 27' motorboat, and crew on racing sailboats.
Larry

hkshooter
September 07, 2011, 19:38
Originally posted by cpd109

You show your ignorance in calling a sail boat a "blow boat".

Find out how they work and get back to me.

Until then, make people you don't know just wonder if you are ignorant or not by keeping your trap shut.

Have a nice day.

BTW, I can sail a boat a whole lot further on $10 than a person who has to motor around.

Wow, touch a nerve, asswipe?
Yeah, I was just clownin around, no need to get your panties in a wad about it. Seems someone got the joke.
As far as ignorance, I'll just smile and say you'll never see the 22 years of experience I have working in the marine service industry. Get a sense of humor and a thicker skin.

I happen to like blow boats. As in looking at them on the water. They apply a grace and tranquility to a body of water that nothing else can and very well deceive the casual viewer as to the amount of skill and work it takes to operate one. They aren't for me though. I'm lazy and like to turn a key and go. And besides, most blow boaters I know are a little off, lean towards the anal side and get pi$$ed off mightily if they ask for something and you have never heard of it before. Oh wait, I think I just met someone like that.:rofl:

fal fiend
September 07, 2011, 19:45
:rofl:

KEMOSABE
September 07, 2011, 23:00
Buy the boat. You will not regret it. You are a thinking man, which means you can be a sailor. Take some Power Squadron classes, learn to navigate, and hone your skills. Sooner or later someone will come along and ask you to crew on a big boat in blue water. It will be the trip of your life. I've been back and forth to the Caribbean several times and delivered a boat to Alaska, got paid to do it. Owners are looking for good dependable crew and delivery captains everyday.

As for the Com Pac, nice boat, small for a live aboard. Boats start to get real at about 26', you'll get a real head, shower, and galley, possibly an inboard diesel. But if you don't have all that, you can pay a slip fee and use the marina's facilities. I had a Seafarer 23 for several years, high quality pocket yacht, they also made a 26. They both had a lot of teak in the cabin, teak and holly sole, fast, well built, they would be older now, so not a lot of money.

What have you got to lose?

RG Coburn
September 08, 2011, 13:35
SOME boats are holes in the water. Not all. And if you know a lot about that particular style,and can handle the costs and maintenence,its all okay. I have an aluminum Bluefin 16 foot with an 80 Merc. Its basically a Jeep that floats. Bare bones,open deckspace,no wood to rot,no fiberglass to crack. It does everything I expect of it. I will be sad the day it leaves me,as she has given me more than I paid.
My old Galaxy? Left me stranded out on Lake Huron,motor konked out. It sank once out in the bay. It caught fire off Pte Aux Barques..
When the guy was towing it out of my yard,and started slipping traction,I bore my shoulder into it as hard as I humanly could.
A boat is just a thing. No different than a house,or car. How it serves you is what matters.

J. Armstrong
September 08, 2011, 15:05
I miss sailing an awful lot !!!
The maintenace on a little 'glass boat is pretty minimal, despite the dire predictions above !! I owned a 19'Cape Dory Typhoon for years, very affordable and maintainable. Being a traditional full keel boat, they are a bit harder to trailer around ( it weighed 2000 lbs ! ) but they are truly marvelous, sea kindly little boats, very comfortable and easy to sail and solid as a rock ( bad analogy for a boat :D ). Provided you aren't claustrophobic, you could literally sail one anywhere in the world - well, the Typhoon would be capable of it even if mortal humans are not !!! The Compacs are pretty nice, but the Typhoon spoiled me for anything else. A couple of full blown Chesapeake thundersqualls and my first tropical storm under my belt in her - a very gentle boat !!
Kept her at the Havre de Grace public marina for a coupla years after I got tired of trailering her, then on the Severn River just aboke Annapolis.
Let me know if you need any misc hardware - I've got everything from ground tackle to line to about a zillion fittings just laying around waiting for a home. Even have a NOS British Seagull outboard ( you either love 'em or hate 'em........)

Cava3r4
September 15, 2011, 13:11
I went sailing with a fellow who salvaged a "Y' boat. He pulled it off the bottom, had to re-canvas and varnish the deck, fix the hull and put new sails on it. This was way back in 1970. It was something like a 22 footer that I recall and we were on a fairly large lake in MN. YOu had to Duck when the boom came around and hang over the side. It was great fun.

I also owned an 18 foot fiberglass bass boat and came to he realization that the marina's I patronized were the CAUSE of a lot of problems. Remember the old saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself".
The best day of boat ownership on that one was the LAST day.
Bob

L Haney
September 15, 2011, 19:11
Paul, got an idle thought. Let's talk about January or so. Think about maybe a 60 foot motor sailor and a Panamanian registry. I got a few things to settle, and after that I want some changes. You game?

homelandprotector
September 15, 2011, 23:03
We need pics of your new boat!

fry
September 16, 2011, 12:20
Originally posted by hkshooter

:rofl:

i should probably sell two out of three of my power boats and gets me a blow boat.