PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else buy old tools?

FAL freek
September 04, 2011, 09:33
Was out yesterday and ran across a real nice old hand drill with a wood handle and ratchet action on it for $6. Have been thinking lately that with minor care old tools will outlast their modern electrical counterparts by decades and if they're cheap why not? Now to find some old style drill bits to use with it.

L Haney
September 04, 2011, 09:54
Old jack planes. I like to spiff 'em up and put them back into use. But the collectors have screwd the prices. Used to pick 'em up for 2~5$, that don't happen much any more.

mosbysmen
September 04, 2011, 09:55
i have a cool hand cranked drill press and a hand cranked grinding stone

Artful
September 04, 2011, 10:29
Sure do, I think they are better in some reguards as makes you work smarter unless you like to work harder. :wink:

hawk962
September 04, 2011, 11:35
Old tools, especially woodworking are right at the top of my list. I got quite a few from grandfathers tool shed too. Picked up a nice froe with two hickory mallets at an estate sale a few weeks ago. I was bidding on an adze too, but another fellow seemed to want it more.

FUUN063
September 04, 2011, 11:44
Yeah, old tools are pretty cool. Hey, mosbysmen, what model of hand crank drill press do you have? I have an old Chicago Aero Motor Model #200, a very large model. I have seen smaller models, but this one is the biggest. It was my great grandfathers and mounted in his shop until his passing around 1991. I wanted to buy his property, too, but I had just purchased a home and some ground and could not swing it back then. He was the reason the James family (yes, the infamous James Gang) had all the family gatherings and reunions. I miss him.

Around here, we have to outbid the Amish folks at auctions and that's pretty tough to do!

Leland:shades:

OMR_RDTandE
September 04, 2011, 13:59
Originally posted by hawk962
Old tools, especially woodworking are right at the top of my list. I got quite a few from grandfathers tool shed too. Picked up a nice froe with two hickory mallets at an estate sale a few weeks ago. I was bidding on an adze too, but another fellow seemed to want it more.

Modern tool production, whether it be power or hand tools, are for the most part over priced and of inferior quality when compared to the older tools. An interesting place to hang out is Old Woodworling Machine Site (http://owwm.org/). The last stationary power tool I bought as new was a Delta Unisaw in 1985. Everything since then has been old iron that needed to be rebuilt. Still working on rebuilding an old Fay & Scott patternmaker's lathe with an 8' bed that dates from the turn of the last century.

As a boatbuilder, the only reason I'm not having to compete with the collectors for hand tools, is because I either bought them new 30 years ago or inherited them from my father-in-law. Good hand tools can still be found occasionaly at flea markets and yard sales, but most will require work to make them usable.

The good news is the same skill set that enables you to build an FAL from a pile of parts also enables you to rebuild old hand and power tools.

HTH,

Omar

mosbysmen
September 04, 2011, 20:41
it looks just like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-blacksmith-post-drill-/200643262091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb745368b

SWOHFAL
September 04, 2011, 22:11
If you're concerned about the EOTW, then more complex hand tools would be a good idea to sub for the unavailable power tools that won't be able to get power, or just won't last without some kind of accessory to keep them going.

alphadog58
September 05, 2011, 07:46
I love old tools. Most of the floor tools in my wood shop are old machines I got for free and fixed/restored. My 8" furniture maker's jointer (short bed, direct drive, 2 knife head) was made by the American Sawmill Machine Co. in the middle 30's. My 15" bandsaw is a Montgomery Ward from the late 40's. I have a Delta drill press with 3 mortising heads that's late 40's. Have a dozen wooden boat planes that my dad got from a shipyard that he worked in before WW II that are middle to late 19th century. Still have Dad's brace and bit set that he bought in the 30's.
When I go to tag sales and estate sales I don't really look much but ask the sellers if they have old tools, fishing tackle, and firearms...
Larry

shlomo
September 05, 2011, 09:38
Been told that I'M an old tool.

That said, I have a few things, including a hand-cranked blacksmith's tuyere and air pump. Got several braces and a buncha bits, old planes and squares, stuff like that. Neatest (and biggest) is a 100 y/o metal shaper that weighs about 3,000 lbs.

Gazz
September 05, 2011, 11:44
Buy 'em whenever I can find them, if I can afford them. I have many old blacksmiths tools and still have several anvils. I sold a few of them a few years ago when I needed some quick cash but looked at another one last week that was the biggest one I had ever seen - easily a 300 plus pound anvil. Didn't have the cash at the time but it is not going anywhere real soon. Also included was a coal forge, a few tongs and a smaller bickern type anvil.
I have a 1/2" hand drill from the 20's that I am afraid to use. It is quite heavy which is good when you want to drill a hole in hard stuff and has LOTS of torque. The scary part is that it has a toggle switch located in a place that requires removing your hand from the grip to switch it on or off. I think it would break some bones before you could shut it off if it ever jammed in the hole you were drilling.
At a yard sale yesterday I bought a small screw house jack, a large propane torch with an older 20lb bottle, a 2lb coffee can filled with drill bits of various sizes, a bunch of files, some Snap-on screwdrivers, two padded assault rifle cases and other misc tool stuff - all for $11.00!