PDA

View Full Version : LP Gas

jrkoller
August 03, 2011, 06:17
Who here on the files uses LP Gas? to heat their home?? and what are your prices? last year I paid 169.9 per gal over the winter months, I just received my new contract for this coming winter, The price here in Wis. went up to 189.9 1st choice 2nd choice 199.9 and if I don't choose to sign the contract it will be 249.9

Right now I am looking for another source to help heat the house that doesn't cost a whole lot. Probably electric wall board heater 208 volt that uses less juice.

jdmcomp
August 03, 2011, 07:17
Your best bet is to look at installing a new more efficient furnace, depending on what you now have. Electricity is not a good bet unless you plan on heating only a single room. Compare the cost of different fuels and see what it would really cost.

Electricity is 3400 btus per kilowatt

LP is 92000 btus per gal or about 27 kilowatts

190 per gal equals 8.5 cents per kilowatt(assuming an 80% furnace). Can you get electricity for 8.5 cents per kilowatt?

Admit that these figures are rough but within 5% either way. If your furnace is a builders model and more then 15 years old you can pay for a new one quickly with increased efficiency. Also depending on where you live a heat pump might work better.

Lots of this discussion depend on the home, age of home and equipment and levels in insulation and weatherstripping. How about some of these details.

BTW, I am a retired energy economist with more then 30 years in the utility business at all levels.

jrkoller
August 03, 2011, 08:02
It is basically for one room, I live alone, The only real problem I have here is Dec. Jan. and Feb. where the temp sometime drops to 20 + below for a week or two or more.
It also a mobile home, I have also thought about a ( Match) and rebuild but with health problems I doubt I will ever see that.

Thanks for your Info.

tac-40
August 04, 2011, 17:39
Have you looked into a wood heater to supplement your normal heat source? Here are some links for something that might help out.

http://outsidew.ipower.com/index.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/United-States-Stove-Company-Mobile-Home-Approved-Wood-Stove-Heater-with-Blower/15767314

http://www.fahrenheittech.com/index.html (dealers in your area)

Lniceshot
August 04, 2011, 18:03
We use a 1000 gal. for the house and a 250 for the shop. House goes thru about 450 gal. a year, about the same for the shop. We just had both filled for 1.65 per gal.

def90
August 04, 2011, 18:53
A pellet stove may be a good alternative as long as your place has room for one and isn't a fire trap. Electric is very expensive.. Here in Colorado I have a 2 bedroom townhome/condo that was built with electric baseboard heat and my bills go from about $35/month in the summer to $300/month in the winter when the heat kicks on and Colorado isn't nearly as cold as Wisconsin.

C-ya
August 04, 2011, 21:08
There was a pellet stove in the basement of a house I rented here in MI. Put out a ton heat when using corn in it. If you go the pellet stove route, be sure to get a multi-fuel model. I started with just wood pellets and, while it put out good heat, it paled in comparison when I went 90/10 corn/pellets. The heat output was VERY noticeably higher. I ran a duct up through a pre-existing hole in the floor between the basement and the living room, and it really cut down on my LP usage in the main furnace.

Just be prepared for power outages as they use electricity for blowers, augers, stirrers, and their electronic controls.

easttex
August 05, 2011, 12:47
I live in East Texas so take this for FWIW...

I heated my previous home with LP Dearborn heaters and it cost me roughly $120 worth of LP/month October - February to keep the place reasonably warm. By reasonable, I mean 63*-68*.

I now live in an all electric house and use electric strip heat to keep the house warm. My summer A/C bill runs $150/month while my winter heating bill runs approximately $230/month. With the thought in mind that using no A/C or Heat yields a monthly bill of around $65/month, you might say electric heat can be damned expensive!