PDA

View Full Version : books

mahimako
July 21, 2011, 01:19
I am 21 years old and very political... I am interested in what books you fine people have discovered to aid my education. I have found much truth in conservatism. Rush, Beck, Savage, Chambers, Lott, Ingram, and Holms... What say you?

def90
July 21, 2011, 07:47
Are you looking for books with real information or just books that reinforce what you already think you believe?

Isn't there already enough crap on TV every night, you really need to read more about it?

lew
July 21, 2011, 08:18
Take a step back from those idiots, and pick up something written a bit further back. Think Revolutionary war era, and before and after. Start there and report back.

gunplumber
July 21, 2011, 09:48
yes. Like The Rights of Man, Common Sense, The Federalist Papers, the Wealth of Nations (ok, that was tedious - we need a reprint with modern weights and measures).

Rusty Shackelford
July 21, 2011, 10:21
You need to expand your horizons. For modern news, I'd start reading The Economist and Playboy (no looking at the pictures, you're still too young). Reading The Economist every week will make you more knowledgeable than about 90 percent of the people walking around. Playboy (even with their anti-gun stance) will show the old style liberal viewpoint.

Illurian00
July 21, 2011, 11:03
Two books I recommend to all young men:"WILL" by G. Gordon Liddy

"The Honey Badger" by Robert Ruark

"WIIL" is autobiography,,the other a novel. I consider both authors to have considerable life experience and maturity. They convey the particular mindset of the western male, and how both triumph and adversity are inevitable in life and must be dealt w/.

Knowledge w/o maturity rings hollow.

martin35
July 21, 2011, 12:06
I would caution you to remember almost all modern political writers wrap themselves in the flag and use Conservatism as a vehicle to personal wealth, knowing that use your own discretion in giving them the proper credence.
There is nothing wrong in the accumulation of wealth but at what point is that accumulation the only goal of authorship?
If your goal is to become ideologically insulated and isolated in your beliefs read only one point of view, but if you believe you may one day have to deal with other ideologies you would be well served to read them also,,,, know and study your opponents,,, the better to defeat them.
The Art of War by Sun Tzu is apolitical but can be and is applied to politics.