PDA

View Full Version : Personal Space. Cultural Question.

WJ-Polish Guy
July 17, 2011, 16:03
After leaving among you colonials for so many years, I still often wonder what makes you tick. Today's issue Personal Space.
This is in general interesting, as it really depends on situation. Different space on empty street at night and different in subway car in rush hour.
So imagine Summer and Florida beach, not crowded, plenty of space. Couple arrives and start settling at my feet. I inform them that they are to close ask them to move, pointing to available space... Well, Like stilling their newborn, they got pissed and leave but bullshit about it for the rest of our stay. I am in general antisocial type, perhaps would make exemption for some hot chicks but 300 pounders with double wide beer cooler...eh maybe not.
Question I have is it norm here to sit on the top of each other at arm length or rather it was my alien bark that set them off. Hmm....I wonder.

VonFireball
July 17, 2011, 16:08
Question I have is it norm here to sit on the top of each other at arm length or rather it was my alien bark that set them off. Hmm....I wonder.

This is America, you were correct. We don't need to stand nose to nose to talk, we don't need cars that corner fast, and fat people buy two seats on the plane. Unbelievable they would question this on a wide open beach. Space and straight lines aplenty here.

I'm glad you told the fatsos to move. They were rude. Then again, I wouldn't have made an exception for a hot chick either. Just me.:)

WJ-Polish Guy
July 17, 2011, 16:36
Originally posted by Mebsuta

Whole range to myself. Guy comes in, sets up right next to me, lights cigarette, had loud rifel with brake. Okay whatever I'll move....

Well, I have better one. Guy settle down next to me AND MY Daughter, with Century FAL.
Proceed to load FAL magazine with 7.62X39. Fellow faller tinkerer I presume but verify promptly. Nope, regular FAL with unusual idiot. Got pissed and give him "cop style" lecture. Guy mumble something, is pissed and then leaves... Hmm.. I wonder.

WJ-Polish Guy
July 17, 2011, 18:10
Originally posted by xcpd69

Idiots seem to more common, the older I get. Guess they breed faster.
Though only God knows how, since they have trouble figuring out what goes where...

Reverse natural selection. Smarties are breading themselves out of gene pool with one kid per breading pair, while dummies have five and food stamps to raise them on :confused:

SWOHFAL
July 17, 2011, 18:18
Originally posted by WJ-Polish Guy
After leaving among you colonials for so many years, I still often wonder what makes you tick. Today's issue Personal Space.
This is in general interesting, as it really depends on situation. Different space on empty street at night and different in subway car in rush hour.
So imagine Summer and Florida beach, not crowded, plenty of space. Couple arrives and start settling at my feet. I inform them that they are to close ask them to move, pointing to available space... Well, Like stilling their newborn, they got pissed and leave but bullshit about it for the rest of our stay. I am in general antisocial type, perhaps would make exemption for some hot chicks but 300 pounders with double wide beer cooler...eh maybe not.

I don't care what they look like, just go as far the f--k as possible away from me when there's empty space aplenty. Had fruitcakes sit right next to me in an mostly empty theater. :rolleyes:

riffraff2
July 17, 2011, 18:25
I am also the type who likes lots of "personal space". It almost never fails, when at Wal Mart or wherever, I will park at the END of a row with several empty spaces between my vehicle and the end of the row, I come back out and someone has parked right next to or in front of or behind my vehicle. Must be herd mentality of something, I don't know. All I do know is that it is dang hard to maintain the 'personal space' thing sometimes.

Hollis Wood
July 17, 2011, 18:39
I like my space also, no need to crowd in. Though I'm willing to make exceptions for the hot chick(s). Scenery is good.

35fg19
July 17, 2011, 18:45
I don't believe the "personal space" issue is cultural as far as country goes. In my experience, it is based on each individuals upbringing. A close family raised in a smaller space, always sitting close to one another and touching...I think it tends to instill this need in them to be close to others and that it is perfectly ok to do so.
I have noticed that some people, when talking to me, will stand too close for my taste, (if I can headbutt the guy, he is too close for me) and as I slowly back up, they will take up the space so that myself and the other fellow end up doing a kind of dance until I end up with my back against a wall.
Most people I meet seem respectful enough to keep their distance but some do not. The ones who get too close seem oblivious of the distress they are causing me. I have to fight the urge to push them at least an arms length away.
Of course this opinion comes from a guy (me) who thinks the only acceptable form of touching between two guys should be a handshake. ;)

Lniceshot
July 17, 2011, 19:58
I've never been particularly outgoing, and I as get older I seem to be getting "people Claustrophobia". I won't go to concerts, theaters, any place where there is a crowd of "normal" people. No problem going on bike rides with a hundred riders, hanging out with people I know/respect/understand. But airport crowds, or even standing in a checkout line, my blood pressure starts to redline. Mama-san thinks I'm crazy, but then the voices don't talk to her, prolly 'jus jealous:p

RG Coburn
July 17, 2011, 22:25
Some people are also preferencial to going to the same spot over and over. You may have been set up in "their" spot and not known it.

Eric Bryant
July 17, 2011, 22:51
Personal space is a good thing, IMO. I definitely try to give it to others whenever possible, and I appreciate the return favor.

I would recommend that most contributors to this thread not visit Asia, or else several cases of exploding heads (or at least tempers) might be reported.

VonFireball
July 17, 2011, 22:53
I've never been particularly outgoing, and I as get older I seem to be getting "people Claustrophobia". I won't go to concerts, theaters, any place where there is a crowd of "normal" people. No problem going on bike rides with a hundred riders, hanging out with people I know/respect/understand.

I'm with you. I always imagine some disaster striking and all those hordes of people running to try and save their skin. I think I would just stand there and laugh at them. If it was really that serious what will running do? Little late for exercise at that point haha.

I don't mind concerts if I'm backstage and I'm occasionally downtown Austin gigging, which is always a people nightmare. It don't redline me, I just don't the idea of being in huge crowds and something going wrong. I like to stay close to home and my bug out supplies. And no bike runs for me ever since I watched dude dump his beemer at a rally I never meant to be part of because the fool behind him wasn't watching what he was doing. I ain't big on making a turn six bikes deep.....

lawdog
July 18, 2011, 06:50
How's this for taking the thread on a left turn, but WTF is up with people not understanding personal space in bathrooms?

Where I work there are four toilet stalls in a row in our men's room. I can go in to this bathroom, see that it is empty, and take one of the end stalls to do my business. It never fails that 2, maybe 3 minutes into it, some f'n dumbass comes flying in to the bathroom and instead of taking one of the farther away of the three remaining stalls, jumps right into the one next to me so that they can spray paint the toilet!

Hello? Get a clue! Dudes want to you to do twosies as far away from them as possible. Don't act like a bathroom stalker. If ever there was a need for personal space, a men's room is the place to practice it.

shortround
July 18, 2011, 07:03
Along the same lines but on the opposite end, how about the people who don't understand what being in line entails?

I took my grand daughter to one of those weekend carnivals where you have to buy a hand full of tickets to ride the rides. I went to get in line at the ticket booth and suddenly I'm being berated by some 400 lb. behemoth standing 4 feet away from the end of the line: "Excuse me, but I'm the next in line!".

If you're in line, then stand in the line, with a reasonable gap, not 4 feet away and off to the side. I had to push my wife towards the popcorn stand before she lit into her.

stubdog25
July 18, 2011, 07:39
I think personal space is a human trait. However, there are cultural differences.

In the States, it is not uncommon to go to a restaraunt and have one or two people at each table or booth designed for four or six. When I was in Europe, I, or two of us might be at a table in a cafe and then have one or two others sit at the same table, uninvited. Each going about their business and not really acknowledging the other. That seems to be more of a common in practice in Germany and France. Not so much here.

Varangian
July 18, 2011, 08:27
Definitely a cultural thing.

I was always taught a person gets 18 inches all their own, and in the US when you observe a checkout line or other queue, it's a pretty good rule of thumb for how far people space themselves from each other.

Most 3rd world place I've been...well, 18 inches between you and the guy in front of you means that you're not in line.

In the US and western Europe, when someone approaches you to speak they generally stop at about an arm's length. I always thought that was instinctual, that you don't step inside another person's reach or threaten them by putting them within your reach when establishing a communication. But some places I've been, southwest Asia immediately comes to mind, they get within breath-smelling distance before they speak. One Thai officer I was paired up with for a military course would try to hold my hand before he would speak.

martin35
July 18, 2011, 09:53
Some of us grew up in the isolation of a rural setting and crowds needed to be planned for with some trepidation like a icy dip in a pond, my 1st impression of Asians was they were rude with all their pushing and touching in crowds, they don't mind being touched by others in those circumstances.
The only times I have had my pockets picked was in street crowds, I was able by my innate sense of awareness to abort one attempt and only lost my pen and pencil set in the other before scaring the little beggars away, going among the multitudes has it hazards.
In a quiet lonely setting someone setting up very near me is seen as someone who is trying become acquainted or is just plain inquisitive, in another time young females occasionally were prone to setting up such outrages, alas no longer now seen as intrusive it is normally someone who has more rights than I do and a testament to the fact that I have lost the awesome aura of foreboding threatening demeanor I worked so hard to develop in my youth,,, see J.Wayne and Tarzan. Disheveled and decrepit will mask a lot of awesome and foreboding, apparently I have accumulated a abundance of both, invariably small children will kick sand in my face at the beach nowadays,,,, I tell you I get no respect nowadays.
Not having your space respected is a common malady of the burgeoning civilization and for having once having had a attraction that contributed to that burgeoning.
I have found placing my box of Depends and a roll of toilet paper in a conspicuous place on top of my cold drink cooler gives me some space amongst the overly amiable and enlightened.

4 brigada
July 18, 2011, 09:57
perhaps would make exemption for some hot chicks

Ive used the US as my residence for over 30 years, have live in, for probably less than 20, and I havent received an adjustable personal space yet. I dont make any exceptions, also Im not politically correct about it either, if you get in my personal space I will make it known in no uncertain terms , whether someone weighs in at 300+ lbs or a nice bod in a thong bikini. Im not that blind yet.

Tgeorgi2002
July 18, 2011, 15:52
I live in a NY state town an hour out of the city. We have a gigantic mall a few miles away with the local movie theater. This theater has 20 screens, and each theater has over 400 seats. So, my girlfriend and I go out to a movie a couple of years ago, on a slow night, late, in an effort to avoid people. We get our tickets, go into the theater, walk up to the top, and sit under the projector. We are the only people there. A few minutes later, another couple come in with their two kids. And sit right next to us. No separations, no space, DIRECTLY next to me. I turned to the father and said, "You're kidding, right", and he had no idea what i was talking about. We moved, and for the entire movie, that family and us, were the only ones in a 400 seat theater. Americans know no boundaries, personal or geographical.

FAL freek
July 18, 2011, 16:06
Personal space? Yeah right there with ya. I always like to find secluded places when I head to the beach. If I can't find a place you won't have to sit right next to someone else I've been known to drive to another beach. Why somebody would sit next to you in an empty beach I would assume as said earlier is the herd mentality. Some folks just don't know what to do if they're by themselves and need guidance to be told where it's okay to sit I guess.

If I ever make it to Florida again and you see me on the beach and I get too close to your area you have permission to yell at me. I like to immerse myself in the local culture.

SWOHFAL
July 18, 2011, 17:22
Originally posted by shortround
Along the same lines but on the opposite end, how about the people who don't understand what being in line entails?

I took my grand daughter to one of those weekend carnivals where you have to buy a hand full of tickets to ride the rides. I went to get in line at the ticket booth and suddenly I'm being berated by some 400 lb. behemoth standing 4 feet away from the end of the line: "Excuse me, but I'm the next in line!".

If you're in line, then stand in the line, with a reasonable gap, not 4 feet away and off to the side. I had to push my wife towards the popcorn stand before she lit into her.

Had that happen before in a department store, where I get to the end of the actual line and this cow got to the end of the counter a half second before I did and says she's next, while her kid is eating an ice cream cone - I thought dept. stores didn't allow food or drinks? I didn't want to make an issue and it only took an couple extra minutes.

gunplumber
July 18, 2011, 18:22
I don't know if it is the individual, or the culture, but I have a Polish friend and an Italian friend who want to be 12" from me when talking. I prefer three feet or more.

Is it a cultural thing? Is it common in Poland to be kissing distance from the one you're talking to?

What about in the mens' bathroom? If there are enough urinals, I do not choose the one right next to another user. I know I a more sensitive to "personal space" than some, but I just see something weird about choosing to be right next to someone else when there is an alternative.

gman
July 18, 2011, 18:32
Only time I've ever said anything to someone was in the P.O. Guy came up behind me about 18" away. I moved ahead, guy clung to me. I turned around and asked him to back up, he was in my space. Guy backed up.

July 18, 2011, 18:33
here's my fave, i am fishin on a remote lake on the navajo rez, all by myself, had to 4x4 to get there, next thing a truck load of mexicans pulls up and now i have a big mex family 10' away, one of them even threw a line across my fishin line...i had to do the ole "what would Jesus do and what i wanted to do....

SWOHFAL
July 18, 2011, 18:45
Originally posted by 0302
here's my fave, i am fishin on a remote lake on the navajo rez, all by myself, had to 4x4 to get there, next thing a truck load of mexicans pulls up and now i have a big mex family 10' away, one of them even threw a line across my fishin line...i had to do the ole "what would Jesus do and what i wanted to do....

I think I would've open carried in such a circumstance if I could do so. Being someplace remote like that would make it a not bad idea and it surely would make dumbasses keep their distance in many circumstances.

W.E.G.
July 18, 2011, 18:54
I'm thinking of trying to like the music that the skinny teens and twenty-somethings listen to.

I've discovered that if I go to sit-down concerts that feature artists I would normally listen to (read OLD), I end up with a 300-pounder on at least one side of me. I can't enjoy the concert if I'm having to lean 45-degrees to one side to keep from wearing my neighbor's blubber.

I still fart in elevators. :devil:

StoneyCreekMrMauser
July 19, 2011, 03:56
Originally posted by W.E.G.
I still fart in elevators. :devil:

+1! Guaranteed people repellent is some Taco Bell and BBQ eaten within 24hrs of each other.

Savor the flavor bitches!

WJ-Polish Guy
July 23, 2011, 08:53
I think it is as much personal as cultural, many mentioned that here.
I asked for cultural differences, because or reaction I got. Both offenders acted strangely hurt and were willing to start shit over it. I were not, as long as they moved.. LOL.
Possible problem, that day admission to Pennekamp was free for some reason. I see couple of bucks often make difference in people quality.

I had the similar situation couple of years ago. I was with my kid alone. Picked a spot in the shade of guard tower. Next thing woman move in with a kid to the same spot. I say nothing, she is behind me. But then she pulls out her phone and start conducting some office business. I asked her to hang up or move, she pull no fight though.

As far as standing to close while speaking, it is power play, some people do it unknowingly. Just move even closer, they usually back off then realizing the problem.
As far as Poland goes, I mentioned that earlier, in crowded public spaces like bus in rush hour, there is no personal space expectancy. Of course you can walk. In restaurants, if there is a wait for a table, people will ASK to join your table or take unused chair. Permission to join is usually granted if ones pass the test.

Originally posted by gunplumber
I don't know if it is the individual, or the culture, but I have a Polish friend and an Italian friend who want to be 12" from me when talking. I prefer three feet or more.

Is it a cultural thing? Is it common in Poland to be kissing distance from the one you're talking to?

What about in the mens' bathroom? If there are enough urinals, I do not choose the one right next to another user. I know I a more sensitive to "personal space" than some, but I just see something weird about choosing to be right next to someone else when there is an alternative.

tigerfans2
July 23, 2011, 09:45

after reading your crap for lo these many years I would have told you to take a flying fornicate and move your own self

but that's just me

starbuck
July 23, 2011, 10:25
Not everyone has the same concepts of personal space. I had a similar encounter in Florida where I was fishing about 50 yards from a bridge pylon near islamorada at about 3:00 am., no other boats within a good half mile, maybe more, and a boat pulls up within 20 feet of us and anchors down. Back then we didn't go anywhere without a pistol so I felt a little better but damn that was creepy. I think he just wanted to fish in our chum slick.

martin35
July 23, 2011, 14:24
I find that when using the same space as others are using the level of tolerance has by necessity changed, studying the label on some food stuff in the supermarket when someone begins or continues a cell phone conversation is a distraction I have not gotten used to,,,, I am by habit drawn into that convesation when someone is speaking,,more than once a voice behind me has said "Hi what'ya doin?" ,,,,,,,,such is life here in the realm of Babel where we call people to ask "what they are doin".
WJ your points are your points and they should given the respect they deserve once deciphered,,, keep on truckin'.
You came here looking for a better life ,,, welcome to a better life,,, I think, never having been a Pole.

Sampson1986
July 23, 2011, 14:47
Originally posted by martin35
WJ your points are your points and they should given the respect they deserve once deciphered,,,

Pot meet kettle. :p

martin35
July 23, 2011, 17:42
Pot meet kettle. Both being receptacles,,,, good analogy.

Jaxxas
July 23, 2011, 22:35
If they want to get too close it's one of two things. They (usually male) are trying to intimidate you with their manly presence, then you need to MAN UP! Female, they want you, in the biblical sense. If you attract fat chicks, go with it, it's better than nothing.

I'm just saying!

Cava3r4
July 23, 2011, 23:19
the pisser rules: x is a urinal i is divider number is the order in which the guy came in.
Okay, now this is HOW it Goes:

i x i x i x i x i x i this is an easy one..

i 1 i x i 3 i x i 2 i got it. always as FAR as possible away

i x i x i x i x i x i x i this one is tougher

i 1 i x i 3 i x i x i 2 i or

i 1 i x i x i 3 i x i 2 i

i 1 i 2 i x i x i x i x i NUmber two is a QUEER or a senator!!

and NO TALKING, and NO, I won't hold your beer while you light your smoke!

:D

WJ-Polish Guy
July 24, 2011, 20:56
Originally posted by tigerfans2
[B]

after reading your crap for lo these many years I would have told you to take a flying fornicate and move your own self

but that's just me [/i]

well, not just you. That was offenders sentiment also, I think. Two things that either was you or perhaps gentleman from your village. Hmm...

WJ-Polish Guy
July 24, 2011, 21:08
Originally posted by martin35
You came here looking for a better life ,,, welcome to a better life,,, I think, never having been a Pole.

Lol. Well, thank you for a welcome and as they say better be Pole than on a pole.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QpwBDAKhEAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Be good now.:bigangel:

evan price
July 24, 2011, 21:27
Originally posted by riffraff2
I am also the type who likes lots of "personal space". It almost never fails, when at Wal Mart or wherever, I will park at the END of a row with several empty spaces between my vehicle and the end of the row, I come back out and someone has parked right next to or in front of or behind my vehicle. Must be herd mentality of something, I don't know. All I do know is that it is dang hard to maintain the 'personal space' thing sometimes.

So my son and I were meeting my wife and daughter at a restaurant that is located in an outlot of the gigantic mall parking lot. The restaurant is rather full and the lot is full. So I pull out to the back of the restaurant which is the ass-end of the mall parking lot. As I'm pulling around I see a bright red maybe ten year old customized Mustang with nice rims which has parked behind the restaurant, gangster-parked literally occupying FOUR parking spaces.

The driver (Early twenties or so) and a female exit the car and start walking towards the mall. There's like 300 yards between them and the mall and no cars around except their Mustang and my truck. I'm trying to get my wife on the phone to see where she is. I wind up stopping next to the Mustang because it's right by the restaurant. I'm still sitting there idling, trying to get my wife on the phone, I'm not really 'parked' per se, just sitting there.

As I am talking I watch the Mustang driver stop, look back at the car, see me parked by it, and he does an about face and marches back, gives me a dirty look, then starts it up and moves it to the next row.

Well, being as how my wife was still on the freeway and maybe ten minutes out, I wait for the Mustang driver to get about halfway and then I pull forward and park next to him again.

Sure enough, he does an about face, marches over, and moves his car again to another row and gives me a dirty look again as he walks back.

So I wait for him to get about 3/4 of the way there, then I move my truck by him again.

This time he comes storming over, moves his car, then shakes his fist at me as he walks away.

So I wait until he's all the way to the mall and then move the truck by his car again.

This time he runs back, asks me what the f*** I am doing to his car (I said "Always park next to the nicest car so you don't get yours broken into!")gets in the car, and moves it over to the front of the mall and stops to talk to the rent-a-cop circling the lot, pointing at me and yelling. I LOL'ed, and then took my son into the restaurant.

riffraff2
July 25, 2011, 06:26
You were both dickhead assholes. People like you are the problem.

WJ-Polish Guy
July 26, 2011, 21:10

Tend to agree. Down here messing with people heads usually ends badly..

Stranger
July 26, 2011, 21:43
Personal space is very important. Just look at what can happen in the men's restroom if you don't obey it.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IzO1mCAVyMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stranger
July 26, 2011, 21:47

Read some history. Combating dickheads by being a bigger dickhead is the way nations are born, friend.

VonFireball
July 26, 2011, 22:05
Head some history. Combating dickheads by being a bigger dickhead is the way nations are born, friend.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

FAL freek
July 27, 2011, 02:40

Lol. Well, thank you for a welcome and as they say better be Pole than on a pole.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QpwBDAKhEAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Be good now.:bigangel: That might explain why the Poles never came to help Vlad Tepes when he was fighting the Turks and their invasion. :tongue:

JasonB
July 27, 2011, 17:51
Originally posted by gunplumber

Probably trying to get a better look. I suspect the same lifestyle choice in the architects who design the men's restroom sans screens between 2 urinals that are inches apart as well.

WJ-Polish Guy
July 27, 2011, 18:18
Originally posted by FAL freek
That might explain why the Poles never came to help Vlad Tepes when he was fighting the Turks and their invasion. :tongue:

Those guys doing impaling are Poles circa 17th century in traditional dress and armament. I thought that is obvious:p
Guy on the pole is a Tatar emigrant convicted of treason...

FAL freek
July 28, 2011, 04:44

Those guys doing impaling are Poles circa 17th century in traditional dress and armament. I thought that is obvious:p
Guy on the pole is a Tatar emigrant convicted of treason... Thought the dress to be a bit too Eastern for Romanian/Wallachian but did see the semi-scimitar and took them to be emissaries of the Turks so thought I was mistaken. Sorry bro only understand English, German, Spanish, and a bit of Swedish so couldn't translate their speech or words at the bottom. Easter European/ Slavic languages have too many Js and Ws for me. :tongue: