PDA

View Full Version : Metal Roof Cleaning


Rick
July 15, 2011, 07:33
Going to be helping a friend clean her metal roof. It's a a standing ridge metal roof - color green. She has a tree in back of the house that i think is responsible for most of the dirt etc. At first i thought this was going to be straight forward but the dirt/grime seems to be baked on from the sun. Roof is probably 4 years old. Any suggestions as to cleaning agents or techniques? Her daughter is getting married in September and i opened my big mouth saying gee you should clean the roof :).

Deltaten
July 15, 2011, 08:55
Sure hope her homeowner's ins. is paid up!
Dangerous job, to be sure.
Can ya get one of those trailered hi-lift bucket dealies in there?

A pressure washer and a truck-wash type brush might help; but.....

Organic debris left to bake on a painted steel roof will etch into the paint and stain it permanently to a greater or lesser degree. Probably best to assume it will look ugly after the wash and be prepared to paint it.

Then again...... it *is* possible that it will come out OK

Be safe up there :D
Paul

Shoots High
July 15, 2011, 10:31
I have the same problem on a metal roof that is about 12 years old. Last year I tried to scrub the porch portion by hand. Nothing helped much. Contact the manufacturer. I did, but they weren't much help either. If you find a solution, I would be interested in what it is.

RG Coburn
July 15, 2011, 12:24
I would go with a pressure washer,hot water unit if you can get one,and a pole mounted brush.I would start out with milder solutions of detergent and step up in strength gradually. They make mild acid solutions for cleaning mildew off of decks,I'd probably start with something like that.
Start high,use gravity to work downward.

JasonB
July 15, 2011, 21:25
If you haven't been on one when wet, it is slick as snot.

RG Coburn
July 15, 2011, 22:29
Originally posted by JasonB
If you haven't been on one when wet, it is slick as snot.
Hence,the hot water washer.Evaporates much faster. Do it on a hot day also.

JasonB
July 15, 2011, 22:57
Originally posted by RG Coburn

Hence,the hot water washer.Evaporates much faster. Do it on a hot day also.

And be ready to get off when the sun starts going down on those hot days too. I thought the guy giving tips to a friend I helped put a roof on was being overly dramatic when he said to be careful if the sun got blocked by cloud cover for a few minutes.

Letereat!
July 16, 2011, 06:11
Originally posted by Rick
Going to be helping a friend clean her metal roof. It's a a standing ridge metal roof - color green. She has a tree in back of the house that i think is responsible for most of the dirt etc. At first i thought this was going to be straight forward but the dirt/grime seems to be baked on from the sun. Roof is probably 4 years old. Any suggestions as to cleaning agents or techniques? Her daughter is getting married in September and i opened my big mouth saying gee you should clean the roof :).

Set up a top rope in the big ole tree and have a helper with a long pole and hook system move you around while you are suspended above the roof. The super epoxy ultra stain resistant paint that will be required will cost more than the wedding and you will need a signed release that will cover all expenses plus injury and whatever she is paying you. Cleaning agents, MEK, Sulfuric acid, Napalm, a soapy mixture of sand and H2O etc. She should change her mind after that and you can say it didn't look that bad anyway and learn what NAVY really means. Never Again Volunteer Yourself. :wink:

Shoots High
July 16, 2011, 08:15
I've had my steel roof for 15 years. I've tried to clean it twice. I called the manufacturer and was told to beware of strong chemicals. They advised strong dish soap and trisodium phosphate. It didn't do much even with a high pressure sprayer. I tried again on the porch with elbow grease. That didn't do much either. Unless it is really thick with junk, leave it alone. If you look carefully you can see the fingernail scratches where I slid down a couple times. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/jcb123/DSC00119.jpg

RG Coburn
July 16, 2011, 12:48
5/12 or 6/12 pitch?
Screeeeecchhhh.....


Sharp looking digs,tho......