PDA

View Full Version : what are you planting this spring?

Nevarwinter
March 13, 2011, 22:56
To cut down on pesticides, shipping costs, and one more thing to carry back to teh car with me, the wife and I started a small garden last year. We only had a single cucumber plant and a single tomato plant.

This year, we upgraded. Since we live in a condo and onlyhave a very small backyard space (and we can't dig up the yard to plant) I have 4 five gallon buckets.

Buckets 1 and 2 have a total of 4 cucumber plants. (we eat the hell out of cucumbers )
Bucket 3 has a bell pepper plant
Bucket 4 has a cherry tomato plant.

All plants are grown at a local nursery from non-hybrid seeds (or at least that's what they're telling me). I didn't get started early enough this year, so I purchased noob plants instead of starting from seeds like we did last year.
- yes, I just called them noob plants -

I have 2 more buckets i'm going to be growing from in about a month so we'll be able to go the whole summer with a small selection of fresh vegetables.

It ain't much, but it's better than nothing.

My dad, on the other hand, is growing a veritable salad bar in his (much much larger) backyard.

Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, tomatos, squash, eggplant, green beans, and a few things I can't remember. He may be trying to do corn this season as well. I'll have to ask.

PBR Streetgang
March 13, 2011, 23:35
Just planted three bluberry bushes and two apple trees. I'm a newbie and plan to start a dozen or so veggies. We bought around thirty packets of heritage seeds and will be experimenting this year. We'll try tomatoes, carrots, cukes, beans, melons, lettuce and a few more.

Also trying to design some sort of towable plow for the riding mower, I hate tillers.

evan price
March 13, 2011, 23:54
We were so successful in our little 12x12 garden last year I am doubling it.

Figure on tomatos, onions, cucumbers, peppers again. Another basil plant, but not THREE like last year- we had enough basil for the US Armed Forces I think. We made & canned some of the best pasta sauce & salsa I've ever tasted last year- hope to make a bit more this year.

rkad
March 14, 2011, 00:50
Hard red spring wheat.
Corn for grain (#2 yellow for feed and/or ethanol, all GMO RoundupReady).
Confection sunflowers (the kind you eat, not the ones made into cooking oil).
Maybe some flax.
This is in addition to some hard red winter wheat I seeded back in September.
I like gardening in a big way.

Prototype Services
March 14, 2011, 01:15
I canned collard greens today, will do another batch tomorrow. I have spinach, collards, broccoli, brusselsprouts and shallots in the garden now. Last spring I planted 12 thornless blacbkberries and will plant 12 more in a week or two. Also planted 15 blueberries and plan to double those too. I had a great crop of butternut, yellow, zuccini squash, cubanelle and chile peppers, tomatoes, canary melons, cantalope and watermelon and pumpkins last year, and will be planting everything again. I've been saving seeds for several years and have been very successful. I overplanted 3 varieties of eggplants, and this year I may try to trade extra with neighbors or at the local market. I am going to start some apple, cherry, and persimmon trees from seed I have saved too. I tried fennel from seed and didn't have any luck, but will try it and parsnips this ear. We always grow cukes and make several varietis of pickles
I used to grow various beans, but not anymore. They can be bought in cans or dried so cheaply, it isn't really worth it to me. Same thing with corn,although I want to try some red flour corn from Rich. I want to grow some wheat, just to try it. I'd like to try tobacco too. Anybody got any extra seed?

I have seed from some of my stuff to trade or share.
I'm trying to grow as organically as I can, but anyone got any advice on fighting squashvine boring bugs, and the small green/grey/yellow worms on broccoli?
How about fighting grubs in the soil, but without harming earthworms?

I'm always interested in sharing garden info via email.
Dave

rlhollo
March 14, 2011, 01:33
My wife and I have started 84 tomato plants, 36 pepper plants, some eggplant plants. I just bought some strawberries to plant. I will plant potatoes on Thursday along with carrots, lettuce, onions, garlic.

Once it warms up I will plant 3 types of sunflower seeds, okra, green beans, taylor horticulture beans (dry bean), butternut, yellow, acorn squash, watermelons, peaches and cream corn, cucumbers and a pumpkin.

I have though about planting an Arkansas Traveler tomato in a feed tub this year so that in the fall I can pull it in and put it on the back porch to have fresh tomatoes longer. Hopefully it works.

Nevarwinter
March 14, 2011, 08:06
Prototype,

Look around the internet. My dad doesn't use any chemicals to keep bugs out of his garden and he found the info on the internet. Coffee grounds to keep snails off of the cabbage. Copper (?) to keep other things off of other things.

Good luck!

Jailguard
March 14, 2011, 08:39
I'm just hoping to get a some what green yard this year. With a dog and two soccer players on it that may prove to be difficult.

okiefarmer
March 14, 2011, 08:42
'Bout 500 acres #2 yellow corn, like rkad, 'cept all conventional, we utilize pre-emerges more than over the top chems, about 500 acres grain sorghum, both early April and then June planted to spread weather risk, then likely about 250 acres soybeans, and prolly about the same in July planted corn. Here in this part of Oklahoma, we still have enough growing degree days to mature a crop of corn planted in mid summer.

Home garden this year also has asparagus coming on good and looking forward to the second year of June strawberries too. My November planted onions will be ready for picking next month, and the Nov. spinach is also way ahead of anything we normally plant after frost here too.

Always grow lots of green beans to put away. Generall have not messed with tomatoes, but this year intend to grow some varieties to make some salsa with the hot peppers we grow too. Always grow some really fine looking bells too, but may have to tolerate some X-pollination from the hots this year, my city garden isn't quite big enough to isolate very far.

LAFAL
March 14, 2011, 13:51
Asparagas is coming up now. Planted English peas with carrots on one side of the row and spinach on the back side. (nitrogen from peas good for the others).
Planted one short row each of beets and broccoli. Sprayed roundup on the grass and weeds in the rest of the garden- I'll plow it under after it dies to mulch/rot for the late spring planting. Usually it's tomatoes, snap beans, wax beans, cucs, cantalopes, crowders. Wife insists on a few okra plants for gumbo. Yellow squash. I try to plant what I can preserve/can and a salad garden. Last year we put up 28 pints/6 quarts of tomatoes, 30 pints of green beans/potatoes, several quart bags of whole okra. (gets pulled/thawed/cut for the winter gumbos). I'm really glad to see folks putting in gardens. It's really becoming a dying art and good to see it is still done. My Dad could stick a rose cutting in dirt and it would grow. I wish I'd have inherited his green thumb or paid more attention to what he was trying to pass on instead of hating the chores......

Powderfinger
March 14, 2011, 21:45
I'd like to try this (http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/) technique for spuds this year.
I have some carrot seed I plan to plant in a different method this year too.
My dad has the ground. He does the usual veggies except corn. We go in on seed and fertilizer and I help when I can. It's his baby though since retired and he enjoys the work. I have some cauliflower to start indoors too, but see that it's the hardest of the crucibles to raise. and snow peas. They are great in salads or stir-fried with some onions and lean meat.

Prototype Services
March 14, 2011, 22:21
I've looked and tried different things regarding vine borers and broc worms, been gardening for 40 years or so. Just want advice from others.

I've done potatoes that way and it works great. 30+ years or so ago I had a neighbor who planted the first tater in a tire, then kept stacking tires and filling with old sawdust, leaves, and grass clippings. In the fall he would tip the 6' stack over on a tarp, and pull the spuds from the compost. The compost was later used back in the garden.

hawk962
March 18, 2011, 17:22
I've been wanting to try that technique for potatoes too.
We are growning Tomatoes, squash(summer and winter), cukes, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, salad greens, limas, peas, sweet and hot peppers, carrots and sweet corn.

Snakeshot
March 18, 2011, 17:36
I don't know yet.

What grows in snow?

randy762ak
March 18, 2011, 19:43
What grows in snow?

A==SNOW PEAS ! :wink:

jwv3
March 18, 2011, 20:31
Tomatoes, probably about eight or ten plants. Jalapenos, at least two dozen plants. Half a dozen bell peppers and maybe some squash. A few onion sets. I think I'll try a few habanero peppers this year.

I'm canning tomatoes and freezing jalapeno and bell peppers. Usually have more than enough to last through winter.

flopshot
March 18, 2011, 20:41
spinach for the third time.
fenced off to boot.
when i figure out what the evil creation is that's mowing down there's gonna be a shitload of #1 buckshot flying in it's direction.

Lniceshot
March 18, 2011, 21:16
Had a plague of grasshoppers last year, ate my entire garden except for squash and one tomato plant.:redface: but I plan on corn, tomatos, radishes, jalepenos, cukes, squash, green onions, carrots and lettuce. And a 55 gal. drum of Sevin.

ALBPM
March 18, 2011, 23:16
Originally posted by shlomo
Peppers. Lotsa peppers. Jalapenos, habaneros, chilis, serranos, and cayennes.

Can't make a respectable Atomic Buffalo Turd with that limp-dick tripe they sell in the stores.

X2 on the Jalapenos and habaneros. Will do a couple Tomato plants in the hanging
things again. I used the upside down hanging planters from my patio cover and did not have a single tomato worm on the plants last year.

Tailback
March 19, 2011, 19:02
Lotsa salad greens. Last years greens did fantastic in the new raised beds.

Bell peppers again as usual. Might try jalapenos this year.

Stupice tomatoes. A heirloom Czech variety that has done well in our garden the last two years.

Italian sweet basil. The variety I grew last year got to be 3 feet tall by 2 feet wide. I just had to keep pinching of the flowers to keep it from going to seed. I will be sure to not procrastinate and put away a bunch of pesto this year. It is SOOO good on a pizza margherita or in insalata caprese.

Thai holy basil (spicy hot). I've finally figured out a reasonably close version of Ga Prao Gai (stir fried basil chicken) that doesn't have oyster sauce in it. (my wife is allergic to seafood) Last year I planted the Thai basil late and it barely got big enough to harvest some leaves. Gotta be sure to get them started early inside to transplant once the weather turns. This basil is great in Vietnamese style fresh spring rolls also.

Mint. I have to get another Kentucky Colonel mint plant (great for Juleps, fresh spring rolls, and Mojitos) since my dog for whatever reason killed last years. Must have had bone meal in the potting mix.

Zucchini and Summer squash. Good for grilled vegetables, zucchini bread, and zucchini relish.

saltshaker
March 19, 2011, 19:21
This seems to be the thread to ask a quick ques.......I hope that you all don't mind as it is along the same topic..
My question is in regard to the type of seed that we are using these days to plant with....
I understand the difference between heirloom seeds and the other stuff, genetically altered type.....If a guy was to plant with the other commonly available at your seed supply company's such as Monsanto and DuPont...Can the plants that are grown from the proprietary seeds be used to retain seeds for the next years planting? If I use heirloom seeds to grow tomatoes, I can use the seeds from those tomatoes to grow next years crop......Curious :?
Thanks....Larry

rkad
March 19, 2011, 20:54
It is more complicated than you might think. Seeds available to farmers and gardeners are either hybrids or varieties (with a few rare exceptions). If seed from a hybrid plant is saved and planted the next year, 25% (or 50% I don't remember) of the new crop will be identical to the hybrid from the year before. The other 50% (or 75%) of the plants will be junk outcrosses. If you seed a variety, then any seed saved and planted the next year will be identical to the variety from the year before. I believe that most heirloom seeds are varieties, so you should be fine saving seed if your heirloom is a variety and not a hybrid.

Genetically altered (or genetically modified organism-GMO) seeds can be either hybrids or varieties. Genetically altered seed is not available to home gardeners. It is only sold to farmers and they must sign documents saying that they will not save any seed from the crop, and also that they will use the technology according to rules put in place by the USDA and a few other gov beauracracys.

Some plants are easier to "hybridize" than others. For example, hybrid field corn has been around since the 1920's, and most farmers in the US had swiched to hybrid corn by the 1940's. North Dakota farmers started growing sunflower varieties for oil in the early 70's. After sunflower hybrids became available in the mid or late 70's, ALL sunflower farmers swiched over within two years, because the hybrids were so superior to the varieties that were grown before. Some crops like soybeans and wheat are either difficult or too expensive to hybridize, so only varieties are available. A company called Hybritech sold hybrid wheat seed, but went out of business about 20 years ago because farmers found that the increased yield of the hybrid wheat over wheat varieties was not enough to pay for new hybrid seed each year. In my area, most wheat farmers seed 2-4 different varieties and save some seed for planting each year, and will also purchase seed of a new variety to try out.

Common garden plants that are hybrids are: sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, beets, pumpkins, squash, cucumbers, broccoli and melons. Seed for most of those types of plants are available as varieties also. Peas, beans and (I think) potatoes can only be had as varieties.

saltshaker
March 20, 2011, 01:12
Whew...
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question....I will study this further now that you have given me a good grasp of the topic....Well done explanation...........Larry ( Farmer of the salt water):smile:

syfr
March 20, 2011, 06:52
Will plant the regular this year. Several varieties of hot chile, roma tomatos and cucumbers. Easy gardening for a hot weather climate.

hkshooter
March 20, 2011, 08:48
I just moved and rent so digging up the yard isn't an option. The previous tenants had tomatos so that should be cool. I plan on tomatos and some bell peppers. Just cause I like real tomatos, not the hot house pink store bought kind, and salsa.

DE44mag
March 20, 2011, 14:51
Just People??????:fal: :skull: :skull:

saltshaker
March 20, 2011, 16:15
Originally posted by DE44mag
Just People??????:fal: :skull: :skull:

Is that some kind of new composting thing or something? :confused: