PDA

View Full Version : Gawd what a shitty day today.....

Opie
February 09, 2011, 22:14
Woke up this morning to find out that my daughter's dog was not doing well at all. She was wandering around confused, walking into things and completely lethargic. She had been kinda going downhill for a week or so but I was hoping that she would have perked up when we got her soft food. She stopped eating yesterday, so I knew what I had to do next. I took her for her final ride this evening.

She was a very old dog, but damn I didn't want to play executioner for my daughter's pet. :(

-edited to add-

The trigger pull of my old revolver suddenly increased to about 5000lbs when it came time to put her to rest....and I wished it was much heavier so I wouldn't have had to do such a shitty thing again.

RG Coburn
February 09, 2011, 22:20
That is the only part of dog ownership that I hate. I know when I get one,the day will come,but I take him anyways..

Stranger
February 09, 2011, 22:44
Originally posted by Opie

She was a very old dog, but damn I didn't want to play executioner for my daughter's pet. :(

You didn't tell her you executed her pet did you? :|

AndyC
February 09, 2011, 22:54
I took her for her final ride this evening.
Damn dust in my eyes again.

You're a good man, Opie - sorry you had to do it :(

Opie
February 09, 2011, 23:11
Originally posted by Stranger

You didn't tell her you executed her pet did you? :|

Certainly Not!!! Do you really think I'm that heartless???

Wife told her that we took her dog to the vet....and later the vet "called" and told us that her dog wasn't coming home. I feel totally shitty because I had to do it, and its a duty that I really don't relish doing.

toolman5256
February 09, 2011, 23:12
sorry man, i hope you and your daughter find comfort in the life she gave you guys.i hate the thought of having to do this one day

Arby
February 09, 2011, 23:22
I know how you feel, Opie. I've been there more than once. Whenever I see a treasured canine near the end of it's term, I think of how well Kipling expressed it:

"The Power of the Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie --
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find -- it's your own affair --
But . . . you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone -- wherever it goes -- for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept'em, the more do we grieve;

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long --
So why in -- Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"

L Haney
February 10, 2011, 06:39
I know how tough that job is. Sucks, plain and simple. But I refuse to put an ailing and often confused companion into the hands of strangers at the end. I'll be with 'em to make sure the last thing is they know they are loved.

one hand clapping
February 10, 2011, 08:20
my heart goes out to you. I have had to do that, though not for some time. I'd rather shoot a bad two legged .

you did the right thing , lots of times that is a much harder row to hoe

OHC

brunop
February 10, 2011, 12:49
It sucks, but it's the right thing. Good on ya, Opie.

Peace.

idsubgun
February 10, 2011, 13:01
Sorry to hear that Opie....my heart goes out to you!

TideWater 41009
February 10, 2011, 13:07
Originally posted by L Haney
I know how tough that job is. Sucks, plain and simple. But I refuse to put an ailing and often confused companion into the hands of strangers at the end. I'll be with 'em to make sure the last thing is they know they are loved.

I agree. Over the years I have brought three dogs to the vet to be euthanised. The second one in particular was terrorized by it when the vet had trouble locating the right vein or something. I realized that I could have done a much quicker and better job of it myself.

I was always there with my dogs when they were put down, but next time I am going to do it myself. I have two old dogs now, so that time is coming soon as I'm sure this is the last year for ol' Pinky. I have done it for others, but not for one of my own yet.

Ssarge
February 10, 2011, 13:33
Originally posted by L Haney

I take my dogs to the vet and hold them, the last thing they see is me as the shot takes effect.

gunplumber
February 10, 2011, 14:58
You have my utmost sympathy for your loss. I've cried four times in my adult life - putting down three dogs and horse. One dog and the horse on the same day. And I'm a wimp - I paid the vet for injections, I couldn't do it myself.

harleypower69
February 10, 2011, 15:01
Originally posted by Ssarge

I take my dogs to the vet and hold them, the last thing they see is me as the shot takes effect.

This.

kayakpirate
February 10, 2011, 15:10
I lived with many dogs,large and small.
Stood with each one when death came to call.
And though it happened many a time,each time alone,I cried.
My sympathies.Its a rough thing to go through.

Ssarge
February 10, 2011, 15:31
Opie, sorry for your loss.
It's rough enough bringing the body home for burial little lone shooting them myself. I hope your daughter deals with the loss as well as possible.

tac-40
February 10, 2011, 15:44
Sorry you had to do it, but the choice is very clear. Pain and suffering or not.

I was always there with my dogs when they were put down, but next time I am going to do it myself.

Tried to do it once and couldn't. My friend kept looking me in the eyes. From that point on, the vet does it with me right beside them till they drop of into that long sleep.

Opie
February 10, 2011, 16:20
Originally posted by tac-40
Sorry you had to do it, but the choice is very clear. Pain and suffering or not.

Tried to do it once and couldn't. My friend kept looking me in the eyes. From that point on, the vet does it with me right beside them till they drop of into that long sleep.

My daughters dog also looked me in the eyes....as if to tell me she understood what had to be done...it made it that much harder though.

Kinda hard to take comfort in the fact that I took Hope's (the dog's name) pain away. I know that she didn't feel a thing, but it still sucks.

Brett
February 10, 2011, 16:24
Problem is...those are the shots you remember forever. I've done it twice and it's etched in my mind.

Opie
February 10, 2011, 22:57
Originally posted by Brett
Problem is...those are the shots you remember forever. I've done it twice and it's etched in my mind.

Ain't that the truth....

SPEEDGUNNER
February 11, 2011, 08:41
A little tip to you guys, dig the hole first. When my first dog had to be put down I waited until after I brought her remains home from the vet, ever try to dig a hole while sobbing? Felt like Josey Wales burying his family. When the time came for my last one I dug the hole first, a lot easier but no less emotional.

Amazing isn't it, a dog of all things. You get attached, they become part of the family. My kids still speak of him with reverence...

squid8286
February 11, 2011, 09:16
I'm very sorry for the sad task that you had to perform. Never have been able to do it. I always take them to the vet. I have lost three of mine. I always hold them, or put my arms around them while it is done. They wouldn't leave me by myself if our roles were reversed, and I can't do it to them.

Lniceshot
February 11, 2011, 13:31
I've put pets down myself, and had the vet do it, either way it's heartbreaking. The last one, our Shepard, was only 10, going grey around the muzzle, but still had lots of energy, always ready to chase rabbits or chase bad guys. He had a fast-growing cancer of the lower jaw that was eating the bone structure, eventually it was hard for him to eat, so we made the hard choice, took him to our vet of 6 yrs. for the shot. First time I've seen a vet cry. And he's a good 'ol country boy, been around a bit. It gets to you, don't it.............

Sampson1986
February 11, 2011, 13:57
I'm sorry for your loss, friend. :(

Buster, my boxer, had to be put down back in September. He was, without a doubt, my best friend.

AZ Dave
February 11, 2011, 21:53
I feel for ya Opie....I had to put my little dog down last month. She was 15 and her quality of life just wasnt there. She belonged to my daughter who died in a car wreck in 04. Jennifer had just graduated from high school a month earlier and was a month away from turning 18. It's always hard to say goodbye to my dogs but her being Jen's dog added greatly to the sadness. My hat is off to you for being a man and doing such a difficult thing.............

IanMor
February 11, 2011, 22:31
Jesus... This thread is tough to get through dry-eyed.

Opie, like all the other guys here, been there, done that. I hate it more than anything. But it's part of the cost of being a man. We do what needs doing, when it needs done. God bless you and you have my deepest sympathies.

I'll say a little prayer for Hope tonight.

February 12, 2011, 21:26
My dog was run over by a caddy escalade last month, dog rolled up under the caddy and out the back, I thought was a goner, but she jumped up with one broken front that was a flopping around. The kids were with me and saw it all. Took her to the vet and got the worst news, $35 to put her down or$2200 to put a steel plate and screws to fix the leg. I took her out in the desert and used the 12 gage with 00 buck to put her down hard......just kidding, got her fixed and made the first payment today. The Navajo word for dog is shit-eater - I have a $2200 shit eater now.

dirtyrice
February 12, 2011, 21:29
Our cat just died, she was very old for cat years. She'd been with us for like 14 years. We got her from a neighbor who was gonna put her down for no reason when he moved. For 3 days she had really gone down the tubes. She was weak and quiet. We just let nature take its course. Unless they are in pain I see no need to rush it. If i'm about to die i'd rather people just leave me alone not hurry it up unless i was in insane amounts of pain.

Some people suggest sleeping pills to bring a peaceful end for animals. But I do agree that with a gun it will be just as quick and painless, Just messier. I do think it is good that you saw your dog as enough of a family member that you felt it was your responsibility not a vets.

Ricketts
February 12, 2011, 22:07
Hardest thing in the world for me. I lost 2 last year and think one will pass this year.

I am sorry for your loss.

Bruce Allen
February 12, 2011, 22:21
Originally posted by Ssarge
Yep.

The last dog I had to have put down was a wonderful female shepard/retriever mix I got for my boys when they were young.
That dog was the most gentle animal I have ever seen and won over people that were afraid of large dogs (85lbs) with her ways.
All I can say is she was perfect for what I wanted and was a true servant with all her heart and we all loved her without reservation.

When that hard day came, my youngest son and I took Ginger to the vets.
Being a big dog it took about a minute and a half fo the shot to work.
When the breathing ceased I just held her and cried.
It was just heartbreaking.
It was so moving everyone in the room began to cry also.

I will be honest with you.. it so affected me I have not wanted another dog since.
My kids and grandkids have had several dogs since then but I have not been so attached to them as that one.

DYNOMIKE
February 12, 2011, 22:48
Sometimes when I mow the yard I still get a lump in my throat passing over the spot I buried my BOXER/PIT mix. Everytime I mow I say hello to her and thank you for being such a great part of my life.. Thick and thin, joy and pain she was always by my side.. When she got cancer and the vet told me how bad it was I took her home so the family could be around her for a couple more days... She went downhill really fast over that weekend and I slept with her on the floor for those nights to comfort us both..

I was recovering from knee surgery at the time so getting around was pretty tough for me.. She was suffering and I knew it was time so we went to the vet.
I got down on the floor with her and held her head on my lap. I think she knew but she was OK with it.. After the shot went in I felt her stop breathing and I knew it was done, it didn't take but a minute or two I suppose.. Carried her to the car myself, then came home and dug the hole under a tree.. Fuggin cried like a baby the entire time but she was my dog and it was my job.. Left her spiked collar on her neck and wrapped her in a blanket..

The entire event was one of the hardest things Iv'e ever done but as a dog owner given a life of joy, undying loyalty and the love of a wonderfull animal she deserved to be treated with carring & respect in her final day.. After 11 years in my life she deserved better then a bullet in the head, it might be quick, and it might be painless but it aint for me.. However I won't judge someone choosing the bullet, I suppose sometimes it's best??..

I am sorry for anyone that looses a beloved dog.. Being lucky enough to share some years with a good dog is a wonderful thing and I tell people all the time if I end up with another dog half as good as she was I will consider myself quite fortunate indeed..

Bruce Allen
February 12, 2011, 23:00
I hear ya Dynomike..

I was glad to have my youngest son with me afterwords.

Digging a hole for a 85lb animal is no small task!!

There are 3 animals out there now in my little pet cemetary.

Outlaw Patriot
February 16, 2011, 19:14
Originally posted by 0302
My dog was run over by a caddy escalade last month, dog rolled up under the caddy and out the back, I thought was a goner, but she jumped up with one broken front that was a flopping around. The kids were with me and saw it all. Took her to the vet and got the worst news, $35 to put her down or$2200 to put a steel plate and screws to fix the leg. I took her out in the desert and used the 12 gage with 00 buck to put her down hard......just kidding, got her fixed and made the first payment today. The Navajo word for dog is shit-eater - I have a $2200 shit eater now.

You're a good man. I'm curious though, was there no option for amputation at a bit less cost?

I have a 14 year old blue heeler/german shepard mix. I know this day is coming before too long, but however much I try to convince myself its just hard to believe that he wont be with me for a long time, he is so full of life, despite being half blind. I really hope i get to have another year or two with my best friend.

Opie, I dread being in your shoes right now.

Opie
February 16, 2011, 23:52
Originally posted by Outlaw Patriot

You're a good man. I'm curious though, was there no option for amputation at a bit less cost?

I have a 14 year old blue heeler/german shepard mix. I know this day is coming before too long, but however much I try to convince myself its just hard to believe that he wont be with me for a long time, he is so full of life, despite being half blind. I really hope i get to have another year or two with my best friend.

Opie, I dread being in your shoes right now.

I kept from putting her down as long as I possibly could...but when she stopped eating and starting walking into things in utter confusion I didn't feel that I had any further choice. If I could have put her to sleep myself, meaning that I gave her the injection, I would have taken her to the vet and done it that way. It was my duty to her to end her suffering, and my very sad duty to carry it out. I hope to have a long time before I have to do this again.

Opie
February 17, 2011, 01:15
Originally posted by DYNOMIKE
Sometimes when I mow the yard I still get a lump in my throat passing over the spot I buried my BOXER/PIT mix. Everytime I mow I say hello to her and thank you for being such a great part of my life.. Thick and thin, joy and pain she was always by my side.. When she got cancer and the vet told me how bad it was I took her home so the family could be around her for a couple more days... She went downhill really fast over that weekend and I slept with her on the floor for those nights to comfort us both..

I was recovering from knee surgery at the time so getting around was pretty tough for me.. She was suffering and I knew it was time so we went to the vet.
I got down on the floor with her and held her head on my lap. I think she knew but she was OK with it.. After the shot went in I felt her stop breathing and I knew it was done, it didn't take but a minute or two I suppose.. Carried her to the car myself, then came home and dug the hole under a tree.. Fuggin cried like a baby the entire time but she was my dog and it was my job.. Left her spiked collar on her neck and wrapped her in a blanket..

The entire event was one of the hardest things Iv'e ever done but as a dog owner given a life of joy, undying loyalty and the love of a wonderfull animal she deserved to be treated with carring & respect in her final day.. After 11 years in my life she deserved better then a bullet in the head, it might be quick, and it might be painless but it aint for me.. However I won't judge someone choosing the bullet, I suppose sometimes it's best??..

I am sorry for anyone that looses a beloved dog.. Being lucky enough to share some years with a good dog is a wonderful thing and I tell people all the time if I end up with another dog half as good as she was I will consider myself quite fortunate indeed..

I kept her collar though....I want to remember the sweet little thing...the "Queen Mother" of our dogs. Her collar is hanging up with Taz's collar. Taz was my Norwegian Elk-hound that I lost to a heart attack a couple of years ago. That was a crappy day too. He was a damn good dog as well. My family had one of them when I was young, and when Taz was offered to me I jumped at the chance to take him. The kids loved him to death. He loved all kids, and loved food almost as much. He wasn't here an hour when he opened the gate on his own and found himself a potluck up the street with a bunch a kids. I went and picked him up, and the next day I called the school and asked them to give me a call if a "big fuzzy and friendly dog lumbered up there and started hanging out with the kids". Only had to do that a couple of times since my kids were usually out in the yard playing with him.

DYNOMIKE
February 17, 2011, 09:05

I kept her collar though....I want to remember the sweet little thing...the "Queen Mother" of our dogs. Her collar is hanging up with Taz's collar. Taz was my Norwegian Elk-hound that I lost to a heart attack a couple of years ago. That was a crappy day too. He was a damn good dog as well. My family had one of them when I was young, and when Taz was offered to me I jumped at the chance to take him. The kids loved him to death. He loved all kids, and loved food almost as much. He wasn't here an hour when he opened the gate on his own and found himself a potluck up the street with a bunch a kids. I went and picked him up, and the next day I called the school and asked them to give me a call if a "big fuzzy and friendly dog lumbered up there and started hanging out with the kids". Only had to do that a couple of times since my kids were usually out in the yard playing with him.

Sometimes I wish I would have kept her collar, guess I just figured I bought it for her so she should always have it.. It would be nice to look at it though that's for sure.

Maybe someday I'll get another dog, I have two now but neither one is even close to what she was.. The SUX part is I didn't get much choice with these.. The Golden belonged to my Uncle up in Orlando, we didn't talk much over the years as he was always pretty strange. Even so when he asked me one time if I would take care of his dog if anything ever happened to him and my Aunt.. Course I said yes figuring he would outlive the dog right?? Well that's not what happened, cops call me one day out of the blue and tell me he and my aunt are both dead.. FUCKME are you kidding, so I have to drive up there are sort all that shit out since there was no other family except me.. I get up there and what I find is a long story but in the end I go to the pound and get his fuggin dog.. Just couldn't leave him there not knowing what might happen.. When I get there he's a BIG FAT PIG of a dog that couldn't even run, I called him the BEER KEG W/LEGS.. He smelled to high heaven cause of what he had been through and he was damn glad to leave that place even it was with someone he didnt know.. He rode all the way to my house with his head on my lap. He got in great shape running in the back yard and eating dog food again but he had some pretty wierd anxiety things going on from living with my Uncle. I can understand that though he was a weird fugger. Anyway he's a good old boy now but he was never really my dog ya know? The Other dog we have was supposed to be a 2-3 week dogsitting thing.. YEA RIGHT, 5 years later the dog is still here.. :rolleyes:
Someday I'll get another REAL dog but for now I'm plumb full up with canine in this house.. :wink:

saltshaker
February 17, 2011, 11:07
You have done a hard thing......May God put your heart at ease and I pray that you know that you have done the right thing.....
I am proud of you............Salt

alphadog58
February 17, 2011, 12:00
dynomike said:

I am sorry for anyone that loses a beloved dog.. Being lucky enough to share some years with a good dog is a wonderful thing and I tell people all the time if I end up with another dog half as good as she was I will consider myself quite fortunate indeed..

Word. Been there with two dogs, it was the same for me.
Opie, you done a hard thing, but its the burden that we accept when we bring that pup home and into our lives. Damn blurry screen....
Larry

Sampson1986
February 17, 2011, 16:57
Originally posted by DYNOMIKE
Sometimes I wish I would have kept her collar, guess I just figured I bought it for her so she should always have it.. It would be nice to look at it though that's for sure.

I kept my boxer's collar, food dish, and blanket. Keeping these things has made the experience a little less shitty. Sometimes it's nice to pull one of these items out and remember better times.

I don't have much for emotions, but I do feel an empty spot when I think of Buster. He was a great dog and an even better friend. I sure do hope that there are pets in the hereafter.

Lniceshot
February 17, 2011, 21:24
If there are no dogs in heaven, I ain't goin'. Not if I have a choice, anyway:whiskey: