PDA

View Full Version : Did a mileage check on the new Camaro SS today

Retired Bum
September 02, 2010, 19:48
I filled the gas tank to full and headed west on old US 40. I drove to my destination mostly on cruise control at 55 mph. After returning to my home town I filled up again. Got 25.68 mpg for the approx 150 mile long trip. I was curious as to what this 400 BHP beast would do if I tread lightly on the gas pedan.

It was a perfect day with the temp in the mid 70's. So no A/C and I had both windows open plus the sunroof. And I didn't see an 18 wheeler all day long.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

J. Armstrong
September 02, 2010, 20:25
I have heard that you will actually get better mpg with the a/c on and the windows closed as the compressor uses less power than what the poor aerodynamics of the open windows eats up. I've always wondered if that is true.

I've always been a Ford man but the new Camaros are sweet looking and anything with big hp is extra cool these days :beer:

brunop
September 02, 2010, 20:29
Especially if you are getting 26 mpg.

SPEEDGUNNER
September 02, 2010, 20:31
J. Armstrong, BLASPHEMER!! The new 5.0 Mustang leaves the Camaro in the dust. Nothing has changed in 40 years - Ford Rules!

J. Armstrong
September 02, 2010, 20:49
Originally posted by SPEEDGUNNER
J. Armstrong, BLASPHEMER!! The new 5.0 Mustang leaves the Camaro in the dust. Nothing has changed in 40 years - Ford Rules!

I blaspheme not - or at least only a little !!!

Always had Fords, would get another Muskrat at the drop of a hat if I were going the musclecar route. I do like the looks of the new Camaros, though. I always though the 67-68s were especially good looking, very clean and simple lines, then they quicly went downhill, IMHO. I'm glad to see they are returning with a very clean design again. Even though GMs aren't to my taste, it's good to see the interest in performance cars staying alive - it can't hurt that all three companies have retro ponycars available !

I miss my '65 Shelby GT350R :(

Court in Fl
September 02, 2010, 21:00
I have a 2002 Camaro with the 3.8 V6 in it.
But I only get around 21 MPG around town, not sure what it would get on the highway, only had the car about 4 months.
I love it, lots of fun.

I would kill for a 2010 SS.

Court in FL.

DYNOMIKE
September 02, 2010, 21:09
Hey Court!!
Get that thing on the H-Way and head North. We shoot every other weekend. :devil:

Eric Bryant
September 02, 2010, 22:16
Originally posted by Retired Bum
Got 25.68 mpg for the approx 150 mile long trip. I was curious as to what this 400 BHP beast would do if I tread lightly on the gas pedan.

Nice! Best I've done with the 300C SRT8 is 22.0 MPG over a 360-mile trip - but that beast is a bit heavier and a bit more powerful than your SS (and also does not have the benefit of cylinder deactivation or a sixth gear ratio).

These are good times to be a car enthusiast.

RG Coburn
September 02, 2010, 22:34
So what would a 69 Camaro with a 350 get for mileage?

Retired Bum
September 02, 2010, 23:44
What would a 69 Camaro with a 350 get for mileage?

It would depend on the state of tune and how fast you were driving.

Back then the makers of muscle cars didn't care what kind of gas mileage their vehicles gave. Gas was cheap, about 22 cents a gallon for regular leaded as I recall. Muscle cars weren't built to last all that long. The stress of 300 plus hp and the way a lot of the guys drove their cars insured a short life. It is still amazing to me that any of the muscle cars survived at all. In the mid seventies you could hardly give one away due to the gas shortage and rapidly escalating insurance premiums for drivers under 25 and those with their share of speeding tickets.

I for one am glad to see the return of the muscle car even though the choices are limited. One thing I have noticed the past few years. You hardly ever see a young man driving a new muscle car, at least around here. The prices and the insurance are just too much. But then the ricer crowd just loves their Civic's with a fancy paint job, a stupid looking wing, and a big fat fart pipe exhaust. They pull up next to my SS at a stoplight and rev their four cylinder peanut popper motors and think that they are impressing somebody. Oh well....

And so it goes/

The Retired One

skwang
September 03, 2010, 00:25
I currently average a bit over 55mpg in a $500 95 honda civic without a spoiler or fancy paint job unless you count rust and missing bits of bumper(EPA says 38ish and I get 40 with out trying)

I employ a variety of techniques to beat the EPA by better than 50% some of the basic ones.

Shift up early (dont lug) to keep the engine loaded. When your engine has to suck air past the throttle plate it is less effecient. good news you get to wamp on your car so you don't drive like granny. Slow acceleration keeps your engine in a low efficiency area longer, If you use more than about 80% throttle modern cars start squirting extra fuel to cool things down so you don't burn valves. Accelerate as fast as you can in as high a gear as possible without going into fuel enrichment.

Any time you use the brake peddle you are effectively converting gasoline to heat and brake dust. Down shift to slow down a bit early for lights to use deceleration fuel cut off. Also if you time stop lights instead of motoring up to them you can be going 20mph when the light turns green avoiding a stop, getting you through the light quicker and more efficiently. It also prevents you from idleing at the light getting a fare bit of 0mpg

In town the engine load is so low that the added drag of the ac compressor will reduce your mileage. On the highway Aerodynamic drag is the big killer so closing the windows to reduce the drag and using the AC (which is a small % of power compared to the aerodynamic loads)

Keep the tires aired up to the max sidewall pressure to reduce rolling resistance. (should have little to no effect of handling other than perhaps slightly harsher ride)

Your car should have an Instantaneous MPG readout drive to keep that as high as you can while still moving with traffic.

dwarmbrodt
September 03, 2010, 06:13
Originally posted by RG Coburn
So what would a 69 Camaro with a 350 get for mileage?

When I had my 69 Z28 with 4.10 gears I got a solid 17 mpg at 55mph.

edited... oops, didnt see the 350 reference...

FUUN063
September 03, 2010, 06:38
That's weird, I never checked my Charger. I just drive with or without the air on, depending on the temp outside.:devil:

Would like a 2011 Camaro SS, though. :biggrin: But, buying old bikes now keeps my pockets empty.

Leland :shades:

flopshot
September 03, 2010, 06:59
who was checking mileage back then ?
gas mileage wasn't invented until after Sunoco 260 faded into history.
i have no idea what my Chevelle or Nova got. more concerned with E.T.
the new Camaros are very nice looking and the Mustangs as well. i'm also happy to the the submission by Dodge. this would be a good time to stick one of each away if you had the funds.

dwarmbrodt
September 03, 2010, 07:04
Originally posted by flopshot
who was checking mileage back then ?

I did only because I had a crazy notion that having the minimum amount of gas in my tank on "street race night" saved me some weight. Hey, it was the '70's... the decade of what the hell was I thinking?

SPEEDGUNNER
September 03, 2010, 07:20
With some of the rear ratios available from the factory back in the day I don't think gas mileage was a big issue. I had a 70 GTO with 3.90 gears and at 120mph the valves were floating and she was clattering like a bitch...but oh what a ride from 0-120!! I also had a GT500KR with 3.00 gears and at 130 in 3rd gear the convertible top was flapping so bad you couldn't hear the engine.

Man, I miss those cars...and $.069 gallon premium fuel!

Blue Monster
September 03, 2010, 08:26

+1 WTH!

At 600 lbs heavier than my 'stang and 800 lbs. than the old Monster ('04 SVT) it's a good thing it has 6.2-liter mill to get it moving.
Taste sort of like chicken don't they, even with my paltry 4.6 liters? ;)

(he he just woopin' on GM a little... sort of salty been up all night with my skunk sprayed hound.)

Nice mileage and I am glad you like your Camero, my first Rod was a '69 Firebird (it got around 12 on a good day)

I do get tired of having to tell people Bumble Bee was a Camero! :mad:

C2A1
September 03, 2010, 11:22
I had a 68 charger R/T with the aerodynamics of a brick. With good gas the timing set forward, 3.23 gears, auto and keeping it at 60mph it got almost 20mpg over 500 miles.
70 superbird, tall tires, 2.76 gears auto, timing set forward and keeping it at 75 mph (speed limit was 55.) it got 22mpg over the same drive. At 145mph over 120 miles it dropped down to about 8-9 mpg.
I like the new cars but they are like comparing a P-51 to a F-16 when compared to the older cars. The older cars required the driver to really be part of the vehicle. They weren't that comfortable but they sure gave you sensations (experiences) that are hard to get today.

flopshot
September 03, 2010, 11:40
Originally posted by C2A1
I had a 68 charger R/T

sweet cars. not a Mopar fan but the Challenger and GTX were also among my favorites.

randy762ak
September 03, 2010, 16:30
In Late 69 My parents bought me a 69/Z-28 302.
I still have it with 53 thou on the clock . Still have all the window stickers I carefully scraped off the windows.. I prolly couldent get them to take it on trade -Its too old and all.

PS-Thanks MOM and DAD!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

wildwilly
September 09, 2010, 14:11
Still paying for the 02 Z06. 3000lbs and a smaller engine than the new camaro but still no where to legally drive it other than a first gear blast. Even in wy. Get going good in second and your running over someone. But oh what a blast dumping all that fuel on those valves.

flopshot
September 09, 2010, 14:23
Originally posted by randy762ak
In Late 69 My parents bought me a 69/Z-28 302.
I still have it with 53 thou on the clock . Still have all the window stickers I carefully scraped off the windows.. I prolly couldent get them to take it on trade -Its too old and all.

PS-Thanks MOM and DAD!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

damn i hate you.....:cry: