PDA

View Full Version : Gooks in the Wire!! - actually, your BEDROOM . . .

Bama Steve
August 12, 2010, 21:53
Guys, I had a rather disturbing evening.

Been screening contractors to rebuild my back porch and ran off the last one cause he was a code talker and had zero creativity in solving problems (Din know shit about construction - just quoted codes).

I try to employ Vet's wherever possible in order to make up for my youthful deficiencies and I got what seems to be a keeper who came by tonight and we talked logistics and details - he see's the construction project the same way I do - we clicked.

He brought his wife along and while the guys were out in the heat talkin' construction - the gals was in the cool house talkin' - whatever.

After they left the wife and I started comparing notes.

About the contractor guy:

o Back for 2 months from a tour in Army reserves as a SAW-249 Operator in Iraq - infantry
o Strong work ethic - doesn't want a hand-out, just wants to work
o Has a problem with the current admin and the Muslims in charge here right now as did most of those he served with
o Lost friends to and IED (unconfirmed by me) in the vehicle in front of him while traveling in a convoy
o tired of the ROE - everyone is a civilian even when shooting at you
o Gets bent when seeing the WON's picture posted in corporate and public spaces
o Has good and bad days since returning concerning the state of our country

Now, get this -

His wife was approached by "counselors" to assist her husband to seek help for PTSD and that if he goes along with it he will get a hand-out.

She was given a book to read on the subject and she is almost convinced that her husband needs this "help".

He says he did not go over there to come home to a hand-out, he went to defend this nation as required of him in his service.

The "counselors" IMO are trying to brain wash the wife and neuter him and they will do this to all returning vets.

Thoughts?

(Seriously - this is not a BS post - I am concerned as well I should be) . . .

Steve.

LAFAL
August 12, 2010, 22:04
My wife is asking these:
Are these "counselors" part of the VA or part of the new "initiative" to help speed vets into PTSD treatment?
Are the "handouts" more of a "carrot on the stick" approach to get him into "treatment" that they will get X amounts of money for more vets that get in?
Will this go into his permanent VA or medical records that can be used later to keep him from getting other benefits OR remove freedoms later (firearms)?
We are in the process of starting up a NPO for returning vets with PTSD, substance abuse or TBI and have been totally put off by the treatment the veteran's administration has been doing SO FAR to help the guys coming home. If the VA suicide hotline touts that they had 300 or so calls but 18 vets a day are committing suicide- well, you do the match. Something isn't working.
Advise them to very carefully check out the total package and who is offering it.

Bama Steve
August 12, 2010, 22:32
What "NEW Initiative" are you guys talking about here?

Congress has been discussing PTSD for 2 years - something stinks and mind-games are a part of their "plan".

I am not paranoid - just concerned for my fellow country men . . .

jeffrey
August 12, 2010, 22:43
Bet they lose all firearm rights once they sign up for treatment.

mace2364
August 12, 2010, 22:51
I have yet to see something these people are up to, that doesn't have hidden agendas in it somewhere. There is a reason they are pushing this, almost certainly something bad. The only question is what kind of bad. Remember, just last year they put us on the department of homeland insecurity's extremest list.

And in case you were wondering, I am a combat veteran, an Infantryman. Also to the OP, we really apreciate you trying to hire vets. Alot of guys are having real problems finding work. In a few months I may be one when I get out.

ANON
August 12, 2010, 23:08
There probably is a hidden agenda for diagnosing ptsd and i distrust the way they treat veterans active and retired. It would be pathetic for them to lose rights after an offer of help, but it wouldn't surprise me either. On the other hand, many vets and their families in the past suffered from ptsd with no help offered.

Is it possible he does have ptsd? Have you reviewed the diagnostic criteria? IME people who are suffering from ptsd NEED help. Some cases are debilitating.

It very well could be an ambitious treatment program looking to cash in and overdiagnose anyone that is willing to attend sessions. One thing is clear, many are opting for the early out in life after returning from iraqistan. Hopefully, it is a drive to screen those returning in order to identify those needing treatment before they off themselves. One is too many!

Veterans returning should be offered every assistance possible to transition to civilian life again, mental health or otherwise. Usually they just get a s#it sandwich.

Tuscan Raider
August 12, 2010, 23:36
It would only take one bad night for his wife to call and say
she is worried about him, and the guys with straight jackets
come along and hold him "for his own good" for 72 hours.

Then,it's all over for him. Therapy, meds,checkups, all that crap.

Seaweed
August 13, 2010, 00:08
Life has changed for this guy. His old life is history. IMHO the best chance for a return to near normalcy is from a peer group, and not necessarily his own age. I'd be leary of anything .gov proposes.

Hootsmon
August 13, 2010, 03:06
PTSD is a huge issue, as you probably well know. Here at Fort Campbell, there were 21 suicides last year, plus I-don't-know-how-many spouses.

Command is attacking the problem the only way they know how, by throwing dollars and paperwork at it. No one is out to screw the Vets, but the psych record/firearm ownership thing is a valid concern. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other.
PTSD can manifest itself years after the event, so they want to keep tracking these guys. If they seem to be intrusive, well, they probably are. What else can they do?

jrkoller
August 13, 2010, 06:40
Back in the 80's and early 90's The VA here in Wis. would shoot you full of thorzine AKA thorzine schuffle, I visited a Nam friend while at the VA for an appointment, The guy was off in the "O" zone I don't think he got any treatment just wondered around the VA hospital like a zombie for 6 to 8 weeks.
then released.

martin35
August 13, 2010, 07:37
A lesson learned = never totally put your well being in the hands of anyone whose job security is dependent on how screwed up you are.

def90
August 13, 2010, 09:35
I don't believe you get reported for psych problems pertaining to firearms unless you have been committed to a facility and declared mentally insane.

PTSD is real and is serious and doesn't have to exist in your life. If he ever does want to talk about it and wants to keep it out of records and the gov's domain he can simply go see a local psychologist. Like all professions there are ones that know what they are doing and ones that don't. Interview a few different ones and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. There are treatments such as EMDR and brainspotting that have been proven to be very effective at reducing or curing many things such as PTSD.. Remember you do not have to be a vet in a theater of war to have the same symptoms as PTSD. Many EMT's and first responders get it as well.

1stSSPZ
August 16, 2010, 20:08
Here's the scoop. I work for the VA and this is the real deal.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmar09/nf030609-1.htm

chet
August 17, 2010, 07:55
Any traumatic event, but especially extended combat service, can cause PTSD. EVERYONE who serves in combat for any period will have some mental injuries to deal with but it may or may not be "clinical PTSD".

If you want to help a vet, be his friend, not just his employer. Listen to his stories and realize that he will tell you what he thinks you want to hear and if he thinks you care he'll then tell you what hurts the most.

As far as the VA: some guys will get the help they need, some will get the shaft. The VA will not improve until America demands it but for some guys, the VA is all they got.

gunplumber
August 17, 2010, 11:21
Based on the last 25 hollywood movies I've seen, all of our returning vets are wife-beating, unstable, alcoholic, drug-addicts who beat up strangers and rob liqueur stores. It's the PTSD doncha' know.

And if he's got PTSD, he sure shouldn't own a gun - right?

I'd look at anything the FedGov offered as "how can this be used against me 20 years from now".

Outlaw Patriot
August 17, 2010, 14:35
Originally posted by Bama Steve

The "counselors" IMO are trying to brain wash the wife and neuter him and they will do this to all returning vets.

Just curious, but what are you basing that on?

There seems to be a LOT of hostility on here towards anyone trying to treat vets for PTSD, why?

Not arguing, as I'm sure you guys have your reasons, I'm more just wondering what I'm not aware of?

Originally posted by ANON

Veterans returning should be offered every assistance possible to transition to civilian life again, mental health or otherwise. Usually they just get a s#it sandwich.

Thats the way I see it. I think its a crime that veterans should ever have to spend a single cent on counseling for themselves for what they saw while they were serving.

gunplumber
August 17, 2010, 15:02
Originally posted by Outlaw Patriot
There seems to be a LOT of hostility on here towards anyone trying to treat vets for PTSD, why?

Like ADD/ADHD, PTSD is the umbrella "diagnosis" for anyone who has issues. I personally think that it is grossly overused and may well be used in the future as a way to "control" vets.

That being said, I absolutely agree that there are people who have been subjected to extreme situations that make adjustment extremely difficult. Our vets should get whatever help they need.

Just because one is a vet, however, doesn't make them any more or less adaptable to working in the real world. I believe in most cases the bum on the corner who is a vet would be a bum on the corner whether he served or not.

We should be careful not to water down the diagnosis and the resources that some really need, to be a crutch for people uninterested in adapting to new environments, or for welfare-psychologists trying to justify their budgets by making everyone the "victim" of some syndrome or another.

Like when being a worthless drunk became a disease instead of a behavior choice.