PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Tile cutting?

Celt
August 06, 2010, 21:55
I need to cut a few pieces of tile and no one I know has a tile cutter. Thinking about getting the adaptor and cutter for the Dremel.

Has anyone used this setup before and what were the results?

Thanks for your input,

Celt

martin35
August 07, 2010, 00:23
http://cgi.ebay.com/WET-DRY-DIAMOND-TILE-SLATE-CUTTER-BLADE-KICKS-BOSCH-/200503894031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Deltaten
August 07, 2010, 06:12
Ya thinkin' of that little "spurred" tile bit they have?

Fuggedabowdit!

Perhaps ya think the reinforced cut-off wheels will make it?

Don't waste yer time or money!

I've had much better luck with a 4" diamond "slicer" in the angle head grinder. It bounces around some; but does OK. A wet saw is even better. REnt one or get a Harbor Freight cheapie.

I just picked up one of those vibratory tools and it has a diamond blade for grout?? I wonder how that'd work out? A lot of tile is imported "porcelain", as compared to the old standard slip clay. A lot harder and tougher ta cut without spalling and/or shattering. Be prepared to waste a few just trying and fer heaven's sake..wear a full face shield! Those little chips flyin' at the speed of "oh-oh" will get everywhere.

HTH,
Paul

flopshot
August 07, 2010, 07:35
diamond blade on a cordless saw works well. if it's a glazed tile a scoring cutter works well. you might try a glass cutter to score it, then place it over a small round rod maybe 1/8 - 3/16" diameter centering the score over the rod and apply pressure to both sides to snap it.

ostrobothnian
August 07, 2010, 07:45
I used a wet saw and a dremel (w/adaptor) with a diamond wheel to do our entire bathroom in the "subway" type of style while she hand painted flowers on the top portion. :) Dremel has specific bits for cutting ceramic if you have a local Lowes or Home Depot around there.

Don't tell anyone I shower everyday in a flower garden. If you tell anyone I shower in a flower garden, I'll kill ya.

******** width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrllCZw8jiM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrllCZw8jiM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Eric Bryant
August 07, 2010, 08:52
A diamond or carbide bit in a Dremel works only for cutting out small openings (like what you might need around a valve or spigot). Forget trying to do long, straight cuts. This is really useful if you need to do some smaller cut-outs, though, so I always keep a couple of these bits on hand.

If you want a quick and cheap solution, you can buy a 7 1/4" diamond blade for your circular saw, or get a 4 1/2" diamond wheel for your angle grinder. I wouldn't want to cut a lot of tile with either of those methods due to the dust and chipping, but it'll be workable for a minimal amount of cutting.

Renting a wet saw (or buying one of the el-cheapo Chinese saws at the home-improvement store) is really the way to go. You don't need anything fancy to get good results, and it'll make life much easier. Trust me - the $80 or so it takes to buy a bottom-end wet saw is well worth the money when the alternative is spending a lot of your precious time and patience dealing with inferior methods.

ostrobothnian
August 07, 2010, 09:15
LOL Flopshot. You peckerneck. Time to the basement for a drink. :beer: :beer:

flopshot
August 07, 2010, 09:35
:biggrin: