PDA

View Full Version : Liver Biopsy was: Where's those dang colonoscopy threads?

The_Doc
July 28, 2010, 21:55
Yep, doc scheduled me for one on 8/9, to be followed with a liver biopsy, date TBD. Fun times ahead, eh?

Dammit, I'm only 45!

Please tell me they give you a fentanyl/Versed coctail beforehand so I won't remember much...:smile:

Powderfinger
July 28, 2010, 21:57
The cocktail is the only way to go. Demand it or walk to another Doc if they refuse.
Why a liver biopsy at your age?

MAINER
July 29, 2010, 07:57
Get's easier all the time. Bad part is the prep, or used to be anyway, last one was only Ducolax and powdered stuff in regular old Gaterade. Way better than the gallon of goop that made you gag at the thought of drinking it. :p

I tell them that unless they need me to hold the flashlight, I'd just as soon not know about it. They agreed and put me out in La La land for the duration.

Whatever it takes, just get it done. Last time I had one they removed a "pre-cancerous polyp".
Looks like I'll be around for a bit longer unless I do something stupid. :D

Shootability
July 29, 2010, 08:22
No fun but you will be fine. Cool the drink well it is better that way. Start the process early enough that you can be done and get a good nights sleep afterwards.

I asked the nurse anaesthetist how far under would I be - he said light sedation - I said I want out cold - he was a ex Navy guy and said aye aye - I woke up in the recovery room no issues. Take it easy for a few hours and away you go.

Ricketts
July 29, 2010, 09:42
Prep is a bitch. The snake isn't a big deal. Just get knocked out.

GW870
July 29, 2010, 09:58
Yeah, the no fun part is the prep. All those rushes to the pooper
will leave you feeling as if you're gonna be left with a permanent
pot ring on your fanny.
Nothing to the actual procedure - I laid there and watched mine
on their little TV. They had given me enough 'goodstuff' so there
was no discomfort even when they did the polyp snipping.

Never had a biopsy though. I'd demand some chat time with my
Doc, 'cause I know I'd be a bit apprehensive.

Here's hoping you get good news.

GW

StarPD
July 29, 2010, 11:04
Yeah, well everyone says the "Twilight sleep" works for them and there's no pain or discomfort. I call BS on that. I just had a colonoscopy several weeks ago. I remember all of the pain and discomfort, as well as my groaning and moaning. The body doesn't like something being shoved up the hiney.

Ask for a double dose of the sedative. I did, and either they didn't do that or it didn't help, but it might for you.

It's just something you gotta do to protect your health, so grit your teeth and get it over with.

Let us know how you make out. You may be lucky like some others here and do well.

Jaxxas
July 29, 2010, 13:15
Originally posted by The_Doc
Please tell me they give you a fentanyl/Versed coctail beforehand so I won't remember much...:smile:

Buy you a single drink and they can have their way with you? :eek: Cheap date! :biggrin:

By far the worst part is the prep! Baby wipes are your friend! Mine was without the drugs. It's not fun, but the prep is still worse!

Just bend over, spread'em and take it like a man! :uhoh:

W.E.G.
July 29, 2010, 13:22
Originally posted by StarPD
The body doesn't like something being shoved up the hiney.

Not from what I heard in the basement. :]

Deltaten
July 29, 2010, 17:10
My last appt. with Doc, he sez I should get one done.
Why?
Well..at yer age , yadda-yadda....
No indication or history of problems. No family history of problems.....
Damm'd "snake" test costs between $3500 and 5000 around here !

Uninsured makes it a moot point! I asked if there was any "schools" ; like barber school, where I could get it done for the operators experience.

He laughed and sez "nevermind".... No indication of need...
I sez "Don't put "dic" and poop-chute terms in the same sentence..

He roared :D

The_Doc
July 29, 2010, 17:16
Originally posted by Powderfinger
Why a liver biopsy at your age?

The doc wasn't happy with my levels at my last blood workup, so he's recommending the biopsy. I do take methotrexate though (for psoriatic arthritis), and I know that can raise levels. However, I also had an uncle die from liver cancer, so better safe than sorry.

Originally posted by Mainer
Get's easier all the time. Bad part is the prep, or used to be anyway, last one was only Ducolax and powdered stuff in regular old Gaterade. Way better than the gallon of goop that made you gag at the thought of drinking it.

Yep, that's what they're giving me. No gallon of goop!

I did have a sigmoidoscopy 25 years ago or so, so I kinda know what to expect. That was done without sedation though..:eek:

gobbler
July 29, 2010, 17:56
the prep is a pain, but the colonoscopy is not near as bad as the old cysitiscope. You get to watch that one! :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Ironhandjohn
July 29, 2010, 19:41
******** width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BBMsPNI6EZE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BBMsPNI6EZE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:biggrin: :rofl: :biggrin:

combat engineer
July 29, 2010, 20:19
Had mine done 2 years ago, the stuff they give me was called hollywood prep! I could find out why, maybe because hollywood is so full of sh$t, which I wasn't afterwards! when I got to the out-patient facility it was pretty easy, gave me a nice valium cocktail while I was in a heated recliner with a blanket; got on the gurney after about 20 minutes and took me in for the procedure; they found several polyps which they removed, none pre-cancerous. I did not feel a thing. I was in recovery for about an hour then they let me go home. stopprd on the way home and got some mexican food since I hadn't eaten in 24 hours and I am diabetic, ate the plate clean and sleep for about 4 hours.
The prep sucked, but like the man said, moist wipes are a definite necessity as many times as you are going to be on the crapper! No fear dude, mine went real easy!

Shoots High
July 29, 2010, 20:59
I just had my second one done about two weeks ago. My wife asked the doc to please look for my head.

catmguy445
July 31, 2010, 12:56
I had one about a year ago, and they gave me a prescription for the prep stuff, so I went to the local Costco pharmacy to pick it up. They gave me a little bottle of powdered stuff and an empty gallon jug. The directions said to mix the powder with water and a "flavor" packet, then put it in the fridge overnight, which I did. Since I had to read the directions anyway, I also read the ingredients on the label. Bad idea!

The main ingredient in the powder was polyethylene glycol. Ya know what regular ol' ethylene glycol is without the poly? Yeah, that's right, it's antifreeze, like what you put in your car's radiator, and which will also kill you if you drink it. So this shit they gave me was one polymer molecule away from being poison. I think antifreeze would have tasted better. The directions said to drink an 8 ounce glass of this horrible witch's brew every 15 minutes for FOUR HOURS. Ever tried to drink an 8 ounce glass of ANYTHING every 15 minutes for 4 hours? I got about 3/4 of it down before my body refused to ingest one more drop of it. By then, I was pretty much pouring it in one end and having it run out the other end without stopping to even look around much on the way. They had me start this at 3 pm, and I was supposed to be finished by 8 pm. I didn't even mind the runs to the bathroom. It was drinking that miserable glop that was the worst part.

The colonoscopy? No big deal. Went to the clinic, checked in, got undressed and put on one of the hospital things that are open in the back (how appropriate!), then they had me lie down on a table with wheels on it, hooked me up to an IV, and then I woke up and asked the nurse when they were going to start. She laughed, and then told me it was all done, and I could get dressed and have my wife take me home. They didn't find anything that shouldn't have been there, so they said I didn't have to do it again for ten years. Next time, I'm getting a one-dose laxative. Drinking that garbage was the worst part of the whole thing. Everything else was a piece of cake, comparatively speaking.

alphadog58
August 02, 2010, 09:14
Prep wasn't fun, running to the pooper all day. I don't know what anesthesia they gave me, had a nice nap, didn't feel or remember anything.
Larry

cpd109
August 02, 2010, 12:02
I had a good time, woke up singing about my colon. Asked the doc if he saw any bunnies there (from when my kids had their ears checked for bunnies (ear infections). My wife, unfortunately, had a quack and she swears he used a baseball bat on her and wouldn't stop. She will use my dr next time. I told the dr right up front to drug me up. He did.

I did the gallon jug thing too. Seems to me it's a safer way to poop as much as your going since you are taking in all the water too. I was told to start dring about 1PM. I started as noon and didn't get off the pot until about 10PM. (Of course, it took an hour to get started.) Wifey got a pint bottle (or smaller) and drank it in two doses.

Good luck, and hope it turns out well for you.

maxhush
August 02, 2010, 14:09
As most have said, it's the prep that's the bad part ("the night of a thousand waterfalls...."). I was glad I got mine done. My Dad died of colon cancer. They found a half dozen precancerous polyps (and removed them). I get to go back every three years now (Wheeeee! still, it's far better than the alternative). I warned my siblings (all older), but none of them will listen. How much evidence do they need that it's a good idea? I dunno...

The_Doc
August 02, 2010, 19:14
7 days and counting. Can't wait.

Prep instructions say not to mix the Miralax with a red drink. I could be devious...:devil:

The_Doc
August 09, 2010, 15:22
Well, done and done.

Prep wasn't as bad as I expected - maybe because I didn't have a big meal the day before.

Also, they didn't use the fentanyl/Versed combo - they gave me propofol (the Michael Jackson killer stuff). They injected, I was out about 10 seconds later, and next thing I knew they were taking me into recovery, where I stayed maybe 15-20 minutes. They removed one polyp which is being tested, but overall everything looked okay, with the exception of some veins. He didn't like that, so the liver biopsy is next.

I guess my drinking days are over...:beer: :whiskey:

Edited to add: Forgot to mention, if anyone's interested, I got some nice color pics of my colon I could post! :eek: :D

GW870
August 09, 2010, 17:06
Uh, that's okay - you can hold the pics, thank you just the same.

But do keep us updated on the biopsy.
Hopefully it'll turn out well also.

GW

Blaster
August 09, 2010, 18:26
Doc, when you finally get the liver biopsy, please be sure to describe both, the preparation and the procedure itself. Thanks and will keep the old fingers crossed for good results on your polyp that was yanked out.
I just had a dose of propofol a couple months ago - great stuff that has no after effect (for me anyhow).

Sig220
August 14, 2010, 23:07
I should add to this thread...........had a upper and lower scope done first part of the month.

The prep is the killer........After one glass of the junk, I started gagging with each swallow.....made for a interesting evening. There has got to be a better way.

Never saw the Doc afterwards, don't remember even leaving the hospital the result of the propofol........or Hollywood shyt. Good stuff as long as you are monitored.

My results were about what I expected.... no problems and the only subnote was a "irritated esophagus and I bet that came from throwing the crap up toward the end of the "prep". I could count on one hand how many times I have thrown up in my life up to that time.......its all out the window now.

This was a bad trick played on me by my family MD, guess I refused a few too many "manual" probes of the prostrate. But in my defense, he has fat fingers!!

Good Luck to ya Doc on your prognosis.

The_Doc
August 15, 2010, 15:43
Biopsy is scheduled for Thursday. I've pulled up some sites about it...the size of that needle is intimidating!:eek:

We'll see what happens.

Blaster
August 16, 2010, 10:54
Doc, is the liver biopsy going to be accomplished while you are under some type of sedation? My doctor told me that IF I have to have one, I'd be totally awake and the procedure is extremely quick and is normally over before you can complain about the needle. Good luck and do keep us posted on the procedure and how you did through it all. OK??

The_Doc
August 16, 2010, 20:41
I believe they said I'll be awake for it, but I'll be asking for something for anxiety, that's for sure!

It actually sounds like the worst part is having to lie (lay?) on your right side for 4-6 hours after the procedure to make sure it clots and there are no complications.

Blaster
August 17, 2010, 11:25
Originally posted by The_Doc
I believe they said I'll be awake for it, but I'll be asking for something for anxiety, that's for sure!

It actually sounds like the worst part is having to lie (lay?) on your right side for 4-6 hours after the procedure to make sure it clots and there are no complications.

Thanks for that info Doc. About a year ago, my Primary Doc recommended that I cut my beer drinking way down as she stated that she did NOT want to have to perform a liver biopsy on me. She told me that and I went cold turkey from drinking any alcohol for over nine months then had a lot of company about three weeks ago so of course I HAD to have just a few. Company left two weeks ago and I have still not restarted "tipping" the brews. Damn biopsies scare the bejeezes out of me especially since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer about seven months ago. Once we get over the 70 year old mark, I guess we can really expect the shit to start happen.:sad:

The_Doc
August 20, 2010, 17:49
Liver biopsy was done yesterday. Overall not a bad experience.

No real prep other than no food or drink starting at midnight before the biopsy. They did a CT-assisted biopsy - I was put through a CT scan to pinpoint the location where they would enter the abdomen and get to the liver, and they repeated the scan afterward to see if there were any problems. Not much in the way of pain - the liver has no nerve endings, so the pain was limited to when they inserted the needle through the skin and then again when it went through the interior wall to my abdomen - that was a strange feeling. They did give me mild sedation so it wasn't bad. The whole procedure including scans took maybe 15 minutes, with the actual tissue removal only a few seconds.

They kept me for about three hours after the biopsy, lying on my back to make sure there wasn't any bleeding, then sent me on my way. I should get the results in a couple of days.

Blaster
August 20, 2010, 19:00
Doc, many thanks for addressing my concerns about a liver biopsy. I rather doubt if I'll be needing one but in the event I ever do, I sure feel better about the procedure now that you have told me about yours. Again, thanks and I hope your biopsy results come back satisfactory/negative.

GW870
August 21, 2010, 09:33
Yes, thank you, Doc.
Because, unlike ol' Blaster, I ain't given up sippin' my JD.
I haven't been threatened with a biopsy yet, but as he said,
once you get past 70 you never know what'll turn up next.
Here's hoping you get good news on the results.

GW

tac-40
August 21, 2010, 12:14
It is funny that we can make humorous remarks about a procedure that is so intrusive. I knew I was in trouble when I got my gallon jug of "GOLYTELY" for the prep. And yes it IS pronounced GO LIGHTLY. Somebody has a sick sense of humor. I have to agree that the prep was the worst of the ordeal. But I do remember waking up in the middle of the procedure and asking the nurse to change the TV channel since I hate medical shows.

I will also recommend to everyone that is going to have one that they bring a pair of Depends adult undergarments with them for after the procedure. I passed gas for a long while afterwards and wasn't sure if it was only gas. The Depends saved me from some embarrassing moments while still out in public.

Blaster
August 21, 2010, 12:42
Strange that so many folks going through the colonoscopy ordeal have to drink a gallon of that vile shit. The last two colonoscopy procedures that I went through, the prep was NOT that gallon of stuff. I merely had to take some little pills, like about eight of them, one at a time with a glass of water every half hour or so. They absolutely did the proper job of cleaning out the system REAL good. Anyone going through the procedure in the future should be sure to ask their Doc doing the colonoscopy if there are some pills that can be taken in lieu of that gallon of vile stuff. Why punish yourselves when you don't really have to.:)

Sig220
August 21, 2010, 13:01
Originally posted by Blaster
Strange that so many folks going through the colonoscopy ordeal have to drink a gallon of that vile shit. The last two colonoscopy procedures that I went through, the prep was NOT that gallon of stuff. I merely had to take some little pills, like about eight of them, one at a time with a glass of water every half hour or so. They absolutely did the proper job of cleaning out the system REAL good. Anyone going through the procedure in the future should be sure to ask their Doc doing the colonoscopy if there are some pills that can be taken in lieu of that gallon of vile stuff. Why punish yourselves when you don't really have to.:)

My doc stated he didn't recommend the pills because it was harder on your system then the liquid and carried more risk.

Don't matter to me, I will not have another endo with the liquid prep, its pills or he can just review the pics from the first time. I am not doing the liquid prep again.........I hate throwing up.

Blaster
August 21, 2010, 15:59
Siggy, of course I don't claim to be in the "know" as the Health Care Providers, I just can't see how the pills would be "harder" on the system than that gallon of vile tasting liquid SHIT that gets upchucked before it ever reaches the stomach. I do know that the liquid prep is much tougher on this OLD bastard.:eek:

Sig220
August 21, 2010, 16:22
Originally posted by Blaster
Siggy, of course I don't claim to be in the "know" as the Health Care Providers, I just can't see how the pills would be "harder" on the system than that gallon of vile tasting liquid SHIT that gets upchucked before it ever reaches the stomach. I do know that the liquid prep is much tougher on this OLD bastard.:eek:

Dunno his answer, won't see him for a while, but I know my answer...........

I ain't doing another prep with that liquid shyte!!!

Blaster
August 21, 2010, 16:26
Originally posted by Sig220

Dunno his answer, won't see him for a while, but I know my answer...........

I ain't doing another prep with that liquid shyte!!!

:bow:

GW870
August 21, 2010, 17:15
It's odd how things change over time or maybe by city.
My first one, several years ago, was a little bottle and
it was REALLY! effective. (I had been warned to expect
a big jug.) My second one a few years later (and different
Doc) was the pills and lots of water. Just as effective. But
there wasn't nothing small about these pills, y'all! They
wuz HorsePills!
I'm ashamed to say I'm well overdue for my next one.
But when I do stop putting it off, I'm going to be like
Siggy- I ain't drinking no big jug of nothing!

GW

The_Doc
August 25, 2010, 13:13
Got the results back - I forget the exact medical term he used, but it translates into "fatty liver" - no diseases. Told me I need to lose weight. I could've told him that!

So good news for a change, what with all the medical problems I've had in the past.:smile:

GW870
August 25, 2010, 17:15
AWRIGHT!! Way good news, Doc.
Now sit back and try to relax a bit.

GW

tac-40
August 25, 2010, 20:11
I forget the exact medical term he used, but it translates into "fatty liver"

Looks like you are your own source for Foie Gras.

Foie gras (pronounced /fwɑːˈɡrɑː/ in English; French for "fat liver")

You are sitting on a gold mine since Foie Gras sells for about $200 a pound and your liver weighs at least 3-4 pounds. Just don't let them know where it came from.:biggrin: :devil:

Kidding aside, that is good news.

Blaster
August 26, 2010, 12:03
That's great news Doc. Now don't be tempted to go out and hoist a few to celebrate.:smile:

Bentley8
August 26, 2010, 17:27
I had a liver biopsy about 10 years ago. They had me on a valium drip. Used ultrasound, not a CT scan to figure out where to go in. I actually dozed off as they were putting in the needle. Didn't feel a thing. I just slept on my side for about 4 hours until they said I was good to go.

The one thing that gave me pause was that their policy is to have a surgical team standing by during the procedure. Just in case they nick the hepatic portal vein or puncture a lung. Seems if the liver is hardened by fibrosis or cirrhosis, the needle won't puncture it, but will skip over the surface and puncture something else. If they nick the portal vein you only have a few minutes before you bleed to death, so they're prepped and ready to crack you open should things go south.

Anyway, no problem with my biopsy. Biopsy showed I had steatohepatitis, aka non-alcoholic fatty liver. It did show the beginnings of fibrosis, but not enough to be concerned about.