PDA

View Full Version : Heading home!!!!

GOVT1911
July 20, 2010, 00:12
Well ladies and gents, it's gotten to THAT time again.......heading back to The Land of The Big PX!!!!!!

This trip put me over 80 months deployed to combat/hostile fire zones and I just crossed the 20 yr mark of my career.....I think I'm done.

When I actually make it back to the States in a couple days I'm planning on dropping my retirement packet and then finishing up one last year, working on getting something decent lined up for work. In a PERFECT world (yeah, right!) I'll be able to get a decent DA Civ job working on Ft Bragg. I love Soldiers and can't see being away from them but it's time to let someone else take charge of'em and push'em in the right direction.

Thanks for being my Family and putting up with my sometimes random rants on here.

My next post should be in a couple days from my living room, sitting in my underwear with a beer in hand!!!!!!!

John

deerollman
July 20, 2010, 00:16
Congrats bro. Welcome back. I'm sure you've seen some schit in those 80 months.

:fal:

jefferyc22
July 20, 2010, 00:17
Congrats Man, my unit doesn't ship again for 3 more years...........so starts the wait.

brunop
July 20, 2010, 00:39
Great news!! Congratulations on heading home. Take care, and be safe.

Peace.

Andy the Aussie
July 20, 2010, 01:10
Congratulations mate...!!! Safe journey home... enjoy that first beer ..!!!!!!

AndyC
July 20, 2010, 01:15
Outstanding - take it real slow when you get back (all the fat people stuffing their faces really bugged the sh*t out of me when I got back, for some reason).

SWOHFAL
July 20, 2010, 01:32
Originally posted by GOVT1911
Well ladies and gents, it's gotten to THAT time again.......heading back to The Land of The Big PX!!!!!!

This trip put me over 80 months deployed to combat/hostile fire zones and I just crossed the 20 yr mark of my career.....I think I'm done.

When I actually make it back to the States in a couple days I'm planning on dropping my retirement packet and then finishing up one last year, working on getting something decent lined up for work. In a PERFECT world (yeah, right!) I'll be able to get a decent DA Civ job working on Ft Bragg. I love Soldiers and can't see being away from them but it's time to let someone else take charge of'em and push'em in the right direction.

Thanks for being my Family and putting up with my sometimes random rants on here.

My next post should be in a couple days from my living room, sitting in my underwear with a beer in hand!!!!!!!

John

What kind of education/training do you have? Your retirement is a cushion, but it would still suck not to find decent work. Is there any way you can move into non-combat roles and still remain serving if you need to finish a degree?

Faust
July 20, 2010, 02:31
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
CONGRATS!!

Clyde the Pointer
July 20, 2010, 05:41
Welcome home, Sir. And thank you.

cpd109
July 20, 2010, 05:47
Welcome back-glad you are back safely. Enjoy a truely cold one.

ostrobothnian
July 20, 2010, 06:14
Kick ass. Best of luck John.

I already saw you in your underwear and that was a scary sight.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/BGS2.gif

Tuscan Raider
July 20, 2010, 08:14
Congrats. You've definitely earned the beer. :beer:

favander
July 20, 2010, 09:33
Welcome home John...

Stay safe.. be who you are... keep at least 15 degrees altitude in your attitude and all will be fine...

It's a big culture shock to work in the "civie" world... but I am sure all will be fine..

Best to you... and thank you for your long and trusted service!

Favander

82ndRecon
July 20, 2010, 09:38
Many Congrats and many thanks. Travel safe.

After you've settled in maybe you can come down to Charlotte in Sept. for our Military Rifle match that Moses puts on three times a year? Very low key and lots of fun shooting steel plates at 200 yds (you can even use a rest). Always lots of fun with a really good group of guys (some of the wifes and girl friends even shoot). Score is based on time on everthing except the sniper course of fire.

Take care.

Story
July 20, 2010, 09:50
.....I think I'm done.

Important : avoid the temptation to flip the bird at the Field Grades while shuffling through the lines at DeMob. :p :whiskey: :whiskey: :beer: :beer:

DP
July 20, 2010, 10:14
I am so glad you are safe and coming home!! Best wishes for your retirement and I hope you will be able to decompress slowly and not raise your BP too darn high! Thanks for serving your country and if you are ever coming through the Louisville area, PM me and I'll buy you lunch and a brew!

DP

mojo_matic
July 20, 2010, 10:48
:beer: :beer: :beer:

DesertFALrat
July 20, 2010, 10:52
Congrats, and thanks for your service. :beer:

Ssarge
July 20, 2010, 11:15
Congrulations on a job well done! Also thanks for your long and honorable service.

Blaster
July 20, 2010, 19:42
John, many thank to ya.:bow: :beer:

Dean P
July 20, 2010, 20:22
Drag my grandson Parsons back with you , he is there as a RTO somewhere.

gunner30
July 20, 2010, 20:37
:beer:

martin35
July 20, 2010, 20:41
Well done and thank you.

garyd1961
July 20, 2010, 21:06
Thanks and welcome back to NC.

Bama Steve
July 20, 2010, 21:25
God-Speed and a hearty welcome/thanks!

Best!

:beer:

pns112500
July 20, 2010, 21:30
Come on back an sit a spell. Thanks for your service :beer: .

Stranger
July 20, 2010, 21:35
Congrats on "retiring" and thank you for all of your efforts! It is men like you who keep this nation great.

GOVT1911
July 21, 2010, 18:26
Originally posted by SWOHFAL

What kind of education/training do you have? Your retirement is a cushion, but it would still suck not to find decent work. Is there any way you can move into non-combat roles and still remain serving if you need to finish a degree?

I've got a degree (Military Science, not TOO useful outside......but it's a degree) and quite a few "physical security" courses.

I managed to become "certified" as a Professional Locksmith (interesting work but it's just a hobby)

I've got a pretty good "in" with getting a DA Civilian cop job on Bragg, just not sure I want to go that route.........

In a perfect world, I'd snag a job working at Range Control, but the old guys there hang onto those jobs until they die.......

I'm not sweating it yet, still have quite a bit of time left to look. You can't really live on Mil retirement pay, but it sure helps to be able to find a job and not worry TOO much about how much it pays.

Luckily for me, Wifey has a good job with a great future in it. That's part of the reason I want to stay around NC. She's put up with my job so now it's time I do what I can to support her career.

BTW, I'm not sitting on my couch just yet.....stuck waiting on flights out of one of the 'stans..........still have a couple days until beer!!!!!!

Sig220
July 21, 2010, 22:03
Have a safe trip back home and good luck to you on finding something that you will find interesting in your second career!!!

Thanks for your service!

SWOHFAL
July 21, 2010, 22:29

I've got a degree (Military Science, not TOO useful outside......but it's a degree) and quite a few "physical security" courses.

I managed to become "certified" as a Professional Locksmith (interesting work but it's just a hobby)

I've got a pretty good "in" with getting a DA Civilian cop job on Bragg, just not sure I want to go that route.........

In a perfect world, I'd snag a job working at Range Control, but the old guys there hang onto those jobs until they die.......

I'm not sweating it yet, still have quite a bit of time left to look. You can't really live on Mil retirement pay, but it sure helps to be able to find a job and not worry TOO much about how much it pays.

Luckily for me, Wifey has a good job with a great future in it. That's part of the reason I want to stay around NC. She's put up with my job so now it's time I do what I can to support her career.

BTW, I'm not sitting on my couch just yet.....stuck waiting on flights out of one of the 'stans..........still have a couple days until beer!!!!!!

Well, good luck then and stay safe for these last few days.

Hellion Productions
July 21, 2010, 22:50
Congratulations, sir. Here's to the next chapter in life...:beer: :beer: :beer:

Best,
John Bear Ross

spatin
July 21, 2010, 23:06
Just be sure that you come to FAL Fest 2011 at Whittington so we can properly honor you.

Welcome home.

Sidney
:whiskey:

ar15junkie
July 22, 2010, 00:47
Keep your guard up until you've made it back to your home. Congrats and thanks for your service.

HawaiiFALer
July 23, 2010, 11:52
Best wishes and stay safe. Have a beer :beer: when you are home!

Good luck on your next career.

Thanks for your military service.

Abominog
July 23, 2010, 12:06
Be prepared for culture shock.

Thorack
July 23, 2010, 12:27
Well,

Congrats and safe travels. You cant be serious that you want to be a Range Troll Pogue. My favorite Range Troll story was when my Coompany had a range closed down on us because we hadnt mowed the grass before we occupied. That was a new one to me.

DONT BE A RANGE TROLL.

Thorack

one hand clapping
July 23, 2010, 12:47
Many blessings , Please keep your eyes and ears open until your on that bird and it is in friendly air space. short timer let down can be deadly. West Virginia welcomes you and yours if your up this way.

One Hand Clapping

gunbunny1
July 23, 2010, 14:39
A BIG Welcome home!!!!!!

Thanks for your service and Congrats!:D

lutefisk
July 23, 2010, 17:38
Mental picture of you in bra and panties. Sure hope you're a girl.

Andy the Aussie
July 23, 2010, 17:47
Originally posted by lutefisk
Mental picture of you in bra and panties. Sure hope you're a girl. ...well he does drive a Jeep so you have a good indication of femininity right there..... :devil:

Prolly should not pick on him till he is home....naaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh :biggrin:

Hopefully the big tin bird is a bit closer to home now mate...!!!

GOVT1911
July 25, 2010, 09:53
Made it home!! Been back just over 24 hrs now and finally catching up on the jet lag.

we landed in Romania to drop off some Romanian Soldiers and got stuck there for about 8 hrs. Our commander was pretty cool and said "OK guys, 3 drink limit!!!" and let us loose in the Buacharest International Airport. LOL

I had some local romanian brew, and it sucked! followed by a couple Grolsch made it OK though. LOL

Just getting settled back in with my Family, trying to get reacquainted witheach other and get back into some kind of rythem.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement over the last year, it means alot to me!!

John

DP
July 25, 2010, 11:28
Darn glad you made it back safe and sound!! PM me if your kids are readers, I got a box of extra kids books from moving my collection and finding a boatload of duplicates and would love to send them to a mil family who has helped pay the price along with the dad! If not any reading nuts - then no prob. I think my son may work out some book donation thing at one of the bases here in KY for mil kiddos as a Scouting project.

DP

And the invite stands if you get this way - lunch is on me!

Dean P
July 25, 2010, 12:02
My son went to the ashcan as a welding inspector for a contractor doing updates on military vehicles. He served one tour in the early part as a PL & then retired

Our email was returned as the address was no good come to find out they had transfered him to Iraq.
Thanks
I just barely have time to email Mona back.
Just went thru a major Government audit of our welding program. They had flown me to Bagram AF to work out the problems there and then flew me back to Balad Iraq, to finish what I had started while the audit was in progress. it was heady for a while but we came out of it unscathed. The big boss had me write a brief on what I had done to pass and send it to the other sites that the gov inspector was going to visit.
Got to go, later
Tim

We still have one grandson in the ashcan.

Bprewit
July 25, 2010, 12:29
Welcome home!!!!!

StarPD
July 25, 2010, 13:41
John,
welcome home, and thank you for your service.
God bless you for your dedication and patriotism. You are a hero in my book, and I salute you.

Best wishes for your retirment, and may you find a satisfying and prosperous new career as you enjoy yourself once you are home and settled.

Andy the Aussie
July 25, 2010, 14:37
Hey mate, glad to hear you are back on safe ground in NC with the family...!!!!!!! That Grolsch is not a bad drink to be stranded with either (but it will sneak up on after four or five).

Andy:beer: :beer: :beer:

mitchellh
July 25, 2010, 19:18
Welcome Home, and thanks:beer: :beer: :beer: !

BiGB808
July 25, 2010, 23:40
welcome back..and thank god your home....

go play with your family::)

STGThndr
July 26, 2010, 00:06
God bless you and yours, and thank you. Have enjoyed reading your posts.. hope you continue to send em as time and occaision permit!

moses
July 26, 2010, 04:43
Thanks for your service to our great country!!! Guys like you are who make it great!!

If you have a need for one of my Hurricane Flashiders or need a barrel cut and rethreaded I would like to offer that as a coming home/retirement celebration gift.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

GOVT1911
July 26, 2010, 05:12
thanks everyone!

DP, thanks for the offer of books. We're pretty well set on books, as that's one thing Kiddo and I enjoy doing together. I try to take her to the book store once a week and we pick out a couple. She's 8 and a VORACIOUS reader! Last year, her school held a reading contest kinda thing and we logged all the books she read......she took first place with almost 400 books!!!! I love that she reads, but I gotta chase her outside sometimes so she gets some fresh air....at least she doesn't sit in front of the TV all the time!

Thanks for the offer Moses....I really appreciate it. I don't need a flashhider right now, but I may be needing a barrel threaded soon.....

I hope to make it to one of your matches soon. I've been trying to hit one for EVER, but it never seems to work out time-wise for me.....

flopshot
July 26, 2010, 07:08
welcome home ! hot huh ?
don't forget Robin Sage for some decent occasional income. you should be a shoe in.

DP
July 26, 2010, 08:08
No problem Govt1911, though as a rabid children's book collector, I take the attitude many take on here to mags and ammo, never enough books around!!! I probably have between 8,000 and 10,000 books now and more coming in every chance I get!!! I am glad your little girl is a book nut too!!! My nine year old has read probably 1200 books now and about 30 so far this summer(they slow down as they get older as the number of pages in the books rise!) and my 13 year old is around 1500-1700 books read.

So the offer stands! Even more now that I know she is a fellow book nut AND that you participate with her!!! Many parents don't cause they just weren't readers themselves. all you gotta do is pm me anytime or email me and tell me what kinds are her favs and what types she likes and I very likely have something she could try!

DP

moses
July 26, 2010, 16:09
The next match is Sept. 11
Also the Hurricane I can thread for any type rifle not just an FAL.
Come to the match and I will wave your entry fee!!!!!

ER
July 26, 2010, 22:01
congrats on a safe and successful career!! Welcome back to NC, and if you ever get up toward`s the hilly end of the state, beer`s on me.

GOVT1911
July 28, 2010, 10:37
Thanks guys.

Man, it was kinda warm in A-stan, but the freakin humidity here in NC is KILLING me!!!!! Seriously, as soon as I step outside, I'm SOAKED and seem to get tired alot quicker.......

I should be able to hit the SEP 11th match, I'll start planning on it now.

HughJass
July 28, 2010, 18:08
Thanks so much for your service!:bow:

ER
July 28, 2010, 21:13
but the freakin humidity here in NC is KILLING me!!!!!
:rofl:
it`s killing those of us who have lived in SC/NC all our lives! Don`t feel alone in this endeavor...

RT
August 03, 2010, 14:23
GOVT1911 have you decompressed yet. and let the reality in that you are state side? how does it feel to not be shelled. and did the thunderstorms make you want to run for cover. take care. and thanks for keeping me safe~RT

GOVT1911
August 04, 2010, 10:11
Thanks Richard.

No, thunderstorms don't bother me MUCH.....

I've been blown up multiple times and shot once, but don't really seem to have any "PTSD" problems. Now, I'm not saying PTSD doesn't exist, I personally know a few guys that are having issues....BUT....it's being blamed for every single problem and issue that guys have. Even day to day shit. Pisses me off.....

I have, at times, been startled by loud noises. the worst/best/funniest/scariest (depending on who you talk to...) incident that happened to me back home was a couple deployments ago (my worst IED/firefight wise) I was driving with Wifey and cruising down the highway I noticed a "suspicious box" sitting beside the road lined up with a rock on the opposite side of the road. I rapidly changed speed and lane of travel while scrunching down in the seat......I didn't even notice it at the time but Wifey sat and stared at me for a minute and then started crying. We joke about it now but she said seeing me react to a cardboard box like that made her very sad.

I may be a little more vigilant than before, which in my book is a good thing, but I don't think I have any real problems with it.

BTW, the first week home has been GREAT. Spending time with family and just relaxing. I'm past my "grace period" from Wifey and had to get started on all the little "honey-do" projects that built up over the last year. I'm happy to be doing them!!