PDA

View Full Version : The FALfiles---RIP

DABTL
May 30, 2010, 17:09
It is over for this website.

No fun, no more. Traffic is undoubtedly way down.

The remaining posters are diminishing in number. Someone close the place down when the lunatics have finished.

bnz42
May 30, 2010, 17:20
Well Bill, change is inevitable.

1911Ron
May 30, 2010, 17:30
No wonder considering what passes for posts lately, what with all of the character assasinations and all:mad:

Andy the Aussie
May 30, 2010, 17:33
Bill....you personally need to take some responsibility for that, having used the place as your personal fishing pond inciting reaction for sport and continuing to fuel the flames. You are not alone and others (who respond when they just should have ignored the worst of it) hold the reins of this demise as well.

Andy

SmokeEater2
May 30, 2010, 17:49
So Dabs is leaving? :rolleyes:

W.E.G.
May 30, 2010, 18:02
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/falifornia.jpg

lawdog
May 30, 2010, 18:34
Bullshit by the tons? Maybe.

But I haven't found any other place that I like as much as this one.

homelandprotector
May 31, 2010, 00:14
Originally posted by DUMBASS
The remaining posters are diminishing in number. Someone close the place down when the lunatics have finished.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/263/grandmagrandmapwnsdemot.jpg

ER
May 31, 2010, 08:25
Bullshit by the tons?

uh, that be tailpipe.....:rofl:

[486]
May 31, 2010, 08:48
I do wish you guys would update the site to a newer vbulletin. The "mark all forums read" feature on gunco is what keeps me going back there. It makes it easy to see what threads are new. Here, I keep going to threads that say they're new, but it is the same posts from days ago.

That, and too many subforums. I have to open 20 or so tabs in firefox to see it all, consolidate the subforums to stuff like "assault rifles" for intermediate caliber rifles, "battle rifles" for full calibers, and so on.

Just 2 things that really bug me into not coming here as much as other sites...

shlomo
May 31, 2010, 08:59
Originally posted by DABTL

If everybody had your personal charm, intelligence, level-headedness, wit, and grace, this place would be a paradise.

:rofl: :rofl:

W.E.G.
May 31, 2010, 09:03
Originally posted by [486]
I do wish you guys would update the site to a newer vbulletin. The "mark all forums read" feature on gunco is what keeps me going back there. It makes it easy to see what threads are new. Here, I keep going to threads that say they're new, but it is the same posts from days ago.

If you use this link, you should be able to accomplish 99% of whatever the "mark all forums" thing does.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=getdaily

2barearms
May 31, 2010, 10:06
Bill, if there's a problem with traffic it's that you haven't been banned
yet. I find you interesting to chat with in person, but your feigned devils
advocate and Alinsky tactics here are really not appropriate. You're just
lonely and have no one to play with and your pleasure is derived from sparring
with us because no other gun board on the net will let you pull the crap
you do here. Do us all a favor now that you've soiled the place, go away.

By the way how's that Hope and Change working for ya?

Powderfinger
May 31, 2010, 10:17
Originally posted by 2barearms

By the way how's that Hope and Change working for ya?

Dumbass stands first in line for the blame share in diminishing this forum. Sad really.

ElRon
May 31, 2010, 10:51
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/11/tailpipe_exhaust.jpg

Bawana jim
May 31, 2010, 11:13
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: of course there is less traffic, most people have dabs on ignore:rofl: :rofl:

jim

HughJass
May 31, 2010, 11:15
Adios, gutshot!

Oh, you're not leaving?

Just another thread started to stir shat up by the LT.

Nothing new here, move along.............

http://samuelatgilgal.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/clown.jpg

M2MG
May 31, 2010, 11:27
Originally posted by shlomo

If everybody had your personal charm, intelligence, level-headedness, wit, and grace, this place would be a paradise.

:rofl: :rofl:

Shlomo, you should warn a guy when you're going to post something like this.

I just choked up milk and Cheerios all over the computer screen from laughing so hard. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

M2MG

okiefarmer
May 31, 2010, 12:38
I know several of yous guys had DABTL on ignore. I did continue to read his comments (if that's what some of his posts can be called - IDIOTS all of us) but I still read them, mostly just to see what makes him tick. Much like I flip over to check on Racehl Madcow and Keith Olberhoffmeister,too seewhat makes them tick. It's odd, they can bitch about everything, but have solutions for nothing.

I watched a couple of guests last night on FAUX news arguing about the Arizona trainwreck. The first railed about extra tax burden, that they pay nor taxes, cause more LE headaches, yadda yadda, the second airhead lib said wait a minute,I never said that I didn't agre with you, they are a burden to this country, they don't pay taxes, etc. But when asked what the issue was, it hadc to do with the same old lame profiling dogma. She also had no solution, as she stated it was not her problem to come up with a solution, as she was not an elected official. Now I get it, their job is only to bellyache for others, even if the "others" are illegals. They must be getting paid well to allow their pocketbook needs to overcome their love for their own country.

IDIOTS

brownknees
May 31, 2010, 12:47
Originally posted by SmokeEater2
So Dabs is leaving? :rolleyes:
Nah, it's just the latest in a series of DABTL lies to garner attention.

Just like the mythical door with 2 guardians, one of whom lies & the other tells the truth, always.

Guess which one DABs is:wink:

StG58Freak
May 31, 2010, 13:02
Dabs, don't go away mad, just go away

Dean P
May 31, 2010, 14:21
Bill is dissapointed in us because we don't fight anymore as much as we used too.

What he really meant to say it is boring most of the time & most of the members are dying off a little to soon to suit me.

I don't know about the rest of you couch potatoes. Hell when I go I want to be kicking ass.

Bawana jim
May 31, 2010, 17:33
It is funny. Dabs is the turd in the pool and most of us want nothing to do with it. Yet there are some that want to swim up and see what it is. It's still a turd:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

jim

Blaster
May 31, 2010, 17:42
Originally posted by ElRon
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/11/tailpipe_exhaust.jpg

Ouch, bet that'd smart and prompt a loud scream......:biggrin:

4x401
May 31, 2010, 19:28
Originally posted by Bawana jim
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: of course there is less traffic, most people have dabs on ignore:rofl: :rofl:

jim

This, YES!

He has, and will forever be a F$%king waste of oxygen AND band width.

FAL freek
May 31, 2010, 22:11
Originally posted by 2barearms

By the way how's that Hope and Change working for ya? YES SIR!:beer:

Dean P
June 01, 2010, 11:16
Yep it is over, who will lock up?

Ssarge
June 01, 2010, 12:39
Over 53k posts by tailpipe. All intelligent, succinct well thought out posts I'm sure...
Good riddance to a bandwidth/attention whore.

Odd Gibbs Shooter
June 01, 2010, 13:16
Just over 53,000 posts in just under ten years, what's that about 13 or 14 posts per day on average. And I'm willing to bet under 1000 of those posts are firearm related! Lol he has been on ignore for years now.

GSP228
June 01, 2010, 13:24
Originally posted by Ssarge
Over 53k posts by tailpipe. All intelligent, succinct well thought out posts I'm sure...
Good riddance to a bandwidth/attention whore. All that attention and it didn't cost 7 grand.

Dean P
June 01, 2010, 13:43
Lets forget about Bill for a minute & let me know where Jen is.

I thought she was paying the bills around here, who will fix it the next time the board goes down?

Abominog
June 01, 2010, 14:07
Sadly, I'm afraid Bill might be right for the most part.

Face it, the heyday of FAL building is well past. Interest comes and goes as the FAL kit gets built then later languishes in the back of the closet. That has a huge impact on site volume.

The fact that FAL Files isn't well run anymore is another problem. Checks aren't cashed, so frankly I don't bother sending more $$. I would, but I don't want to have to worry about having an outstanding check for months and months; yeah, there are other ways, but you get the idea. The boss is an absentee landlord.

And I've not seen any recent technical upgrades either. There are still many times when the board is overloaded.

In many cases, boards are kept alive by long-time members who are extremely enthusiastic about the topic (not about all the extraneous discussions.) FAL Files has lost a few good ones to God, and others have just dropped off or don't post much anymore.

Boards are also kept moving by the marketplace ads, and like FAL building, the trading is way down from years ago.

I can only speak for me when I say that I don't put the time and effort into it anymore. First, "discoveries" of new info is these days few and far between, which makes research less exciting. And, I question, who will care? Most of the real serious guys are now largely lurkers, and many others don't care. Lots of the "same old" is rehashed weekly.

Even searching for important info isn't that easy anymore. The search function has its 30 second limit. And, with so many forums, it's hard to find something I remember if it doesn't come up in a search- I wish that from Day One R&D elements had been better moderated (e.g. there's stuff in Images that should be in R&D, and there's crap in R&D that should be in GFD.)

Then we throw in the absolute garbage that is thrown around, including outside of DB. Lots of these "members" have offered little or nothing on the FAL topic- they found a place to hang out and argue and be rude. Some of it's fun, but when DB is one of the more active forums, it's indicitive of a problem.

I am glad that Kevin is still posting and answering interesting topics. I am at fault for not doing more of the same. So are some of the others. But interesting NEW discussions are rather rare these days.

I'd hate to see the FAL Files fold, because it is the source for huge amounts of historical and technical information (that I've not copied.) I'd like to see it cleaned up, resurrected, and become a more positive environment...but I don't see it headed that way.

Dean P
June 01, 2010, 14:33
All of the rifles that has been rebuilt over the years still demand a hefty price even the Century made rifles.

Some improvment & cleanup it would be good to go.

Some one is screwing the pooch on letting this site go down.

P.I. Staker
June 01, 2010, 16:47
Well, hopefully the first step in improvement and cleanup has been taken with the departure of the Denton Dumba$$. His trolling of so many posts drove off many people. It seems he was determined to make any discussion all about him.

Four things could happen to the files at this juncture:

1. It proceeds as it is now to die a lingering death from neglect.

2. We try to log on one day and it is gone with out warning.

3. We find out whether DABTL actually owned the Files or not.

4. Someone actually takes charge of running this site, cuts the deadwood slims it down and makes the files over into what it was once before, a premier go to site for firearms info.

I hope it is #4, but I wouldn't rule out #2.

Firestarter
June 02, 2010, 20:18
Well silly billy has taken his toys and went home for now. No posts from him in several days.

Let's enjoy the break, probably won't last long.

martin35
June 03, 2010, 09:15
There are any number of religious monasteries looking for monks, peace be with you DABTL,,,, you were right not to trust me or my kind we are eternally resolute.

kev
June 03, 2010, 09:55
Nah, 'files ain't goin anywhere. Every time I think of this place going down, I dig this out of the archives and enjoy it.

FAL Reborn by Phil 'MADDOG' Yantis,....................from the old Blue Board.

The Story of Number 27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Responses ] [ Post Response ] [ The Fal Files Message Board ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Maddog on May 05, 2000 at 17:13:13:
IP: 204.32.188.67
I was a refugee…

For many long years I was dragged from place to place, knocked about, and only occasionally allowed to perform my mission. Many men put their hands on me, abused me, and finally left me – marked and abused, covered in red dirt, and barely recognizable. I was just a number, Number 27, crudely painted in garish yellow across my butt.

One day, all of us forgotten, cast-off guardians were unceremoniously piled up and carted off to a different place. The clanking of machinery could be heard, hammer blows, the clatter of broken metal, and, finally, the most horrible sounds imaginable. One by one, we were torn to pieces, our backbones ripped out, and then, the crunch of Doom – as our very spirits seemed cut in two, and thrown away. The remnants of our once shapely forms were bagged, tagged, and piled in what looked like coffins. Sadness filled the cramped spaces, as we slowly settled into a shapeless heap, suffocating the very life from our mangled corpses.

We seemed to drift, afloat on the memories of what we had once been – Protectors of Home and Farm, Guardians of Liberty, Right Arm of the Free World. Now, we were banished, banned, and on our way to oblivion.

A bright light filled the air above us. One by one, we were carefully removed, still in our bags, and examined by faces we had never seen before. Gone were the gunracks, the familiar aroma of gun oil. These men had no uniforms. They stacked us in piles, and occasionally would take a few of us, place us one by one into smaller boxes, and then, the boxes would disappear out the door. One day, my turn came. What was to become of me, the Ghost of Number 27???

I was tossed, I was thrown, I slid around in the tiny box, until finally I was handed to someone. Suddenly, the handling was gentle, like a soldier who once loved me had treated me. Carefully, I was taken to a small shed, where I recognized the tools and smells of someone who worked on things, and liked doing it. Carefully, tenderly, he examined each and every part of me. Sometimes I would sit alone for days or weeks, but then he would appear again, a kind smile on his face, with a new part or tool that I knew he had gotten – just for Me!

Finally, after the workbench was crowded with things, my new owner came in with a look of determination on his face. “Number 27, I have never done this before, but I have tried to learn everything I can about your needs, and today – Today, you will be reborn…”

I was excited, but scared! The Armorers in the Old Place had sometimes performed cruel torture on us. Some of my mates just disappeared. Many of us wore scars from their labors. What is my new owner going to do to me?

The job that had been started in tearing me limb from limb was completed in the shed. My rusty, worn, weary parts were twisted, scrubbed, oiled, wiped, and lined up in the bench. Sometimes I was stubborn, and would only let go with a shriek, by my owner patiently worked. I saw the new backbone lying there, and, soon, I found that I was whole again. Missing pieces were replaced, and with a final ‘Snap!’, my two halves were made whole again.

My owner carried me into the house, and carefully placed me in his room, where I could be near the rack where he puts himself each might. Yet, as happy as I felt, there was still a great emptiness – was I doomed to be an ornament? Would I ever know the joy of making Fire and Thunder again?

Well, Today is a Special Day – Today is when I once again have truly become Whole. Even though my new owner was awkward with me, twisting my knobs, jerking my trigger, and tentative of my recoil, he never once slammed me to the ground, or banged me into trees. In spite of my battered plastic, and discolored, mismatched finish, he gazed at me with fondness, handled me with affection, and shot me with determination. We made Fire and Thunder, and we produced Hits! One, then two, then a dozen, and finally many dozens of Hits! Gleaming brass filled the grass around us and holes filled the targets we acquired. We are tired, we are grimy, but we are One...

Rejoice with me, all my fallen comrades! I dedicate my revival to all those who will Fire no more. In your honor, I pledge to be a faithful friend to my new owner.

I am a refugee no more - Number 27 lives. The days of Fire and Thunder have returned!

I am his RIFLE

There are many like me but I am his. My owner is my best friend. He is my life. I must serve him because service is my life.

Without him, I am useless. I must shoot straighter than any enemy who is trying to kill him. I must shoot any enemy before he shoots my owner. I will....

My owner and myself know that what counts is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My owner is human, and he is my life. My owner keeps me clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

My owner and myself are the defenders of home and farm, country and kinfolk. We are the masters of our enemy.

So be it, until victory is ours and there is no enemy, but Peace...

Responses:

Thank You! Maddog 12:55:04 05/06/00
Tuck that away for your grandkids! Excellent! T2 07:47:54 05/06/00
WOW! ntxt Bubba 06:28:22 05/06/00
Very Well Done! Excellent work, Thank You. ntxt Phillips 01:38:54 05/06/00
BRAVO, BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I believe I have #28, pics when done, I promise(nt) Dave1 23:41:40 05/05/00
Impressive...thanks! (ctxt) Gary 22:50:35 05/05/00
And I thought only liberals were creative (ntxt). Abominog 21:00:37 05/05/00
Wow!!! I'm really impressed...and it takes a lot to impress me! nt Charles 20:50:26 05/05/00
Tears in my eyes as well. ctxt kev 19:29:37 05/05/00
We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... Jerrod 19:26:34 05/05/00
Makes me proud to have a kit and receiver on the way. Mark THG 19:07:41 05/05/00
Bravo again! ntxt edp 19:00:17 05/05/00
Bravo!!!!!nxt. Hypermole 18:36:14 05/05/00
Superb !!!! makes me want to go buy another kit & receiver...I'm such a softy ntxt Yo Quiero FAL 18:29:57 05/05/00
Re: The Story of Number 27.......AMEN Jim in Ky 18:24:52 05/05/00
Re: The Story of Number 27 Jim in KY 18:22:34 05/05/00
Re: The Story of Number 27 cpd69 17:33:56 05/05/00
OUTSTANDING! may I copy this ?ctxt kent 17:29:38 05/05/00
Even I was moved. And I'm a PRICK! (Ask around...) IA 17:27:41 05/05/00
Yes he is! NT Around 21:04:26 05/05/00
I have a tear in my eye.......sniff...sniff....that was beautiful! SF 17:23:57 05/05/00

Cmdr. Gravez0r
June 03, 2010, 12:08
Has anyone offered to buy the domain from Jen or whoever the controlling interest is? That would be the first step toward remaking the Files.

martin35
June 03, 2010, 12:35
What part of the Files needs revitalization?
If you get bored like DABTL claims he is (poor petulant baby) whose fault is that?
The titillation of the Files that 1st drew me to join and participate is still here, and with about 50K more membership.
Maybe some of us lose our relevance,,, that happens,,, no one owes you your relevance.

Right Side Up
June 03, 2010, 12:57
I hope that everything is ok with Bill and his wifes health.

I get nervous everytime a member goes silent.

maxhush
June 03, 2010, 15:03
Originally posted by Bawana jim
It is funny. Dabs is the turd in the pool and most of us want nothing to do with it. Yet there are some that want to swim up and see what it is. It's still a turd:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

jim

Yup, that ain't no baby ruth circling the filter