PDA

View Full Version : Backpack-able metal detector?

Snakeshot
January 09, 2010, 18:22
Hey all,

I recently came across some long out of print local history books and maps that detail locations of long gone mining and lumbering towns from the 1850s and 1860s. Some of these are now no longer near any roads (cool!).

So, after the snow is gone in the spring, I want to head out and go locate these former communities. I know that there happen to be a few RKIs here on this board, so that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance!

onebigelf
January 10, 2010, 15:07
All of the ones I've seen telescope down to about 30". just strap it to the side of the pace frame. I'm currently using a Garrett 250, which I like very much. Not very expensive, but easy to use and very good depth.

John

longhair51
January 10, 2010, 17:00
I agree. I have a Titan 3000XD, and it will telescope down small enough to strap to the frame or molle straps. You might place it in a plastic bag, if water is a concern.

RG Coburn
January 10, 2010, 17:01
Have you detected before?
Patience....lots of junk in the world.

Snakeshot
January 11, 2010, 21:31
Originally posted by RG Coburn
Have you detected before?
Patience....lots of junk in the world.

I'm new, but have done a lot of homework.

I don't expect to find gold and silver coins from 150 years ago, more likely thin remnants of square nails, etc.
But I think it would be a lot of fun, and in places where maybe not too many people have poked around.

And, you never know...

longhair51
January 12, 2010, 15:15
Heck, the first penny that I found got me hooked. I even found a 40% silver Kennedy half dollar in my back yard.

Now, if I recycle all of those pop tops......

festus
January 12, 2010, 16:21
My Tesoro weighs less than two pounds and breaks down to fit into a small carry bag. I took it to Spain like this as carry on. Also leaves room for a smaller coil, plastic shovel, and a pinpointing detector.
They are not as good as a Fisher, but weigh ten pounds less and can be backpacked.

Snakeshot
January 12, 2010, 19:35
Originally posted by festus
My Tesoro weighs less than two pounds and breaks down to fit into a small carry bag. I took it to Spain like this as carry on. Also leaves room for a smaller coil, plastic shovel, and a pinpointing detector.
They are not as good as a Fisher, but weigh ten pounds less and can be backpacked.

Tesoro looks good for what I want to do. Can you tell me about what model/ features you have?