PDA

View Full Version : To dog or not to dog?--!! Update post #26!!

Tuscan Raider
January 01, 2010, 02:13
That is my question. Wife and indirectly the kid, are really
pressuring me into getting another animal. The wife seems to
think I can handle another besides the 4 year old.
Maybe it will help my high BP.

Should I be the bad guy? I am not happy at these requests.
I know what animals can do. I have a nice garden area dangit.
Opinions needed.

Happy New Year.

Outlaw Patriot
January 01, 2010, 03:04
Do you know of a good dog that needs a home? Seems like the best dogs sometimes find you. Or maybe take the wife and kid to the pound to meet a few mutts?

No harm in waiting a little while till ya find a good one though.

Gunny71
January 01, 2010, 03:24
I never thought I would get a dog, much less an ankle biter, but Oscar came into our lives about a year and a half ago. I love him to death, awesome personality, and has become a member of our family.
If you have the time to devote to a dog, I say go for it, no matter what breed you choose. Wish I had gotten a dog sooner.
As far as having a nice garden area, maybe I am biased, but Oscar knows the word NO, and has areas in the yard that are off limits. Just like a kid though, he pushes the limits and is always testing my authority. Define the rules early, and always stick to them....just like 2 legged kids.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/Gunny71/DSCF0184.jpg

cpd109
January 01, 2010, 08:04
Oscar is a fine looking dog, looks like he has a strong personality. I think dogs of the terrier type make pretty good watchdogs, if for only to let you know something's amiss.

I have two Scotties that are largely the reason why my house hasn't been broken into- they start barking with great authority at someone just passing by on the sidewalk.

RG Coburn
January 01, 2010, 08:09
Originally posted by Tuscan Raider
That is my question. Wife and indirectly the kid, are really
pressuring me into getting another animal. The wife seems to
think I can handle another besides the 4 year old.
Maybe it will help my high BP.

Should I be the bad guy? I am not happy at these requests.
I know what animals can do. I have a nice garden area dangit.
Opinions needed.

Happy New Year.

By 'another' animal,that means you currently have one or more? Or does that mean you had one,lost it,and they want just one?

Ricketts
January 01, 2010, 09:19
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/ricketts711/DSCF5280.jpg

This is our newest. She is a Bull Mastiff and her name is Kimber. 6 months old and now around 70 pounds.

We have 3 other dogs, and I really expected to lose 2 in 2009 due to old age. Well, it will more than likely be 2010 now. :sad: My Golden is now 14 and my Walker Coonhound is 13 and both look more like train wrecks every day.

We got Kimber for two reasons--one, to make the impending loss easier. And morso, my wife wanted another watch dog. My Golden is really a mix between a Golden and a Chow and has a real mean streak--she has been a great watch dog. In fact, about 2 years ago, she woke me up to a potentisal fire here at the house.

Considering how the economy is going, and we live wedged between 3 urban areas that may spread if things get real bad--we NEED a REAL presence.

But, considering your question--even tho I have 4 now, if a good dog or one needing a home came along, I'd get one. Plants grow back. And ther ain't nothing like a kid playing with their dog.

Cava3r4
January 01, 2010, 09:55
We got a Great Pyrenees from a pound many years ago. She was an awesome dog. I miss her, but I don't miss the WORK, RESPONSIBILITY (yeh I'll take care of it dad....four shure :D) , and MONEY.
Good luck
Bob

bykerhd
January 01, 2010, 10:53
4 year olds can be tough on animals and vise versa.
Especially when puppies are involved.
They can also be a great "growing together" experience.
Make sure both you and your spouse are up for the challenges.
4 year olds are pretty tough challenges all by themselves.
Adding a dog to the mix might, or might not be beneficial.

Dean P
January 01, 2010, 11:13
Never deny a child the experience of growing up with a good dog.

He will forget other things in time but never the dog.

saltshaker
January 01, 2010, 11:32
Originally posted by Dean P
Never deny a child the experience of growing up with a good dog.

He will forget other things in time but never the dog.

+1.......I have to agree w/ Dean.....Any type of pet teaches a child the important lessons of responsibility for something other than themselves.....Companionship is another plus not to mention the forgiving, unconditional love.......A child's friends come and go but they're dog is always faithful....and doesn't tell secrets....

Good luck.....you may even gain some good memories watching them enter-react as well...........salt

Mason
January 01, 2010, 12:43
When I was a civilian, I never thought too much about not having a dog. I've always had at least one. The last dog I had was Strider, a Brendal boxer, black lab, German Shepperd mix we rescued from the humane society 7 years ago in May.

She has been by and far the best dog I've ever had. She would go with me everywhere, ridin shotgun in my truck. Because Mom was a teacher at the HS I went to, she'd go to school with her everyday and I could see her. I'd take her out in the woods, to sporting events, everywhere. She's so smart you can tell her what toy to bring you out of her ever-expanding toy box. She knows more words than most 5 year olds.

If you can have a dog, you should get one. It is honestly hell not being able to have a companion.

This is her after I had a year hiatus in California. Look at the smile on her face.

Jon Frum
January 01, 2010, 13:11
You need a dog!

GUNNERUP
January 01, 2010, 13:57
YOU NEED A DOG !!!!

sometimes they are you best friend and sometimes they are your only friend.

They will not lie to you, they will not betray you and if you love them, they will love you back 10 fold. They will give their life to protect you and yours

dbl-haul
January 01, 2010, 15:59
YOU NEED A DOG !!!! sometimes they are you best friend and sometimes they are your only friend. They will not lie to you, they will not betray you and if you love them, they will love you back 10 fold. They will give their life to protect you and yours

you pulled the words right out of my keyboard! my advise to the OP is , do your research on the type of dog you are looking at. ( disposition , ect.)

Brett
January 01, 2010, 16:01
There is no other animal on earth that will be as completely dedicated to you as a dog can be. Just think of all the complete assholes that have a dog that loves them when no one else will.

Gunny71
January 01, 2010, 17:44
"To err is human; to forgive is Canine"
:biggrin:

Big Dog
January 01, 2010, 17:58
This is Harley...

He is 12 lbs of fun, attention and love. He is Malte-Zu combining the personal attention of a Maltese with the brains of a Shi Zu. He wants nothing more than to be around us (entire family not just one master), play and interact.

Big or small, you will get out of a dog what you put in.

Keith

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m124/rowdynerd/Guns/Picture008.jpg

Tuscan Raider
January 01, 2010, 19:32
I don't think I have ever given so much thought to something.
I think even joining the Army was easier.

We have been in contact with the owner. It is a good looking
Malamute-cross female with up to date shots. 8 months old.
The cross looks like it might be Dobie, as the hair is a little shorter,
and the hair colors are that orange and black like a Dobie.

I think I am going to give in to my soft spot and surprise the family
tomorrow with a new puppy. Thanks for the input fellas.
If someone can help me out tomorrow to post pics for me, I would
gladly appreciate that.

jeffrey
January 01, 2010, 19:50
Ricketts, that's a gorgeous dog!

M2A2
January 01, 2010, 19:57
Ok .... If you have a bunch of kids.. forget the dog! Mine cause me stress I like a clean house. Dont do it.. 45 and shovel.If you want a dog have another kid!!!!

chet
January 01, 2010, 20:04
Ricketts- I am in the same boat with my Walker. Great watchdog and family friend. He'll be hard to replace but I wouldn't trade the experience of having him around for nothing.

He foiled an early morning burglarly once along with my ASD mix. I can't ever repay him enough for that.

Outlaw Patriot is right, sometimes the best dogs find you. Mine was a rescue that needed a home. Worked out better than what I could have ever hoped for.

Dang, you boys got me choked up. Might need to fix him some venison cube steak tonight....let him know he is still appreciated.

Chet

Ricketts
January 01, 2010, 20:52
Originally posted by jeffrey
Ricketts, that's a gorgeous dog!

THANKS!!!

Radio
January 02, 2010, 13:19
So................. what's wrong with a nice cat??? :bigangel:

Enquiring Minds
January 02, 2010, 14:28
Originally posted by Radio
So................. what's wrong with a nice cat??? :bigangel:

OMG... the list of things WRONG with cats is SO LONG... yes, so very VERY long...

... for one, it's well nigh impossible to load them in a skeet launcher, and get them to stay until "PULL!" is sounded. :rofl: :devil:

Andy the Aussie
January 02, 2010, 17:59
Originally posted by Radio
So................. what's wrong with a nice cat??? :bigangel: .....you are a "Bullpup" fan as well I guess... ;)

Tuscan Raider
January 02, 2010, 22:06
So I went and got "Justice" this afternoon. She is one of the most mellow dogs
I have ever encountered. I bought her a cedar bed and she has made
herself comfortable like she been here her whole life. It also seems we did
a good thing, as we are the third owners in 8 months and she needed
some stability and love. And food, she was hungry when she came home.

She is about 30 pounds, but tall and lanky. She might be a Malamute
cross, but I was mistaken wth her colors from the pics sent to me.
I originally thought she was crossed with Dobie, but after getting her,
she definitely has some German Shepard in her. She has the black and
tan face of a shepard and has the lankiness and tempermant.

My daughter and wife couldn't be more happier. She also brings a smile
to my face. It was a big surprise for them, and I was a popular guy
this afternoon.;) Thanks for the input fellas. I would post pics, but I
am a dummy.

Cats are NOT an option.

Ricketts
January 03, 2010, 00:32
Sounds like Justice got Justice.

That's a good thing--for her and you.

Thanks for helping give one a good break.

Dean P
January 03, 2010, 18:33
Yeah! keep us informed

fry
January 03, 2010, 20:28
Originally posted by Ricketts
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/ricketts711/DSCF5280.jpg

This is our newest. She is a Bull Mastiff and her name is Kimber. 6 months old and now around 70 pounds.

we have the mini version, almost three year old 65 pound fawn female black faced boxer named kimber.

we recently got her an almost two year old black and tan long haired german shepherd to play with.

kids love dogs.

Regal Beagal
January 04, 2010, 06:30
I also have to agree with Dan. I have had a dog in my life almost all of my life sometimes 2 or more..... Of course, I also had other pets, like turtles, birds, rats, rabbits, hampsters and raised pigs for show....but a dog I will always have. I lost my chocolate lab last February and waited 5 months before getting my German Shorthair. Those were some of the longest 5 months I have had to endure. Now my GSP and me are inseperable especially in the field. He is turning out to be a fine bird dog....

Ssarge
January 04, 2010, 13:29
Pretty much the only time in my life I was without a dog was while in the Army, my dachshund that had been my buddy since the 8th grade died of cancer. Since then I have had four dachshunds pass on due to various illnesses/age. I have a 15 year old smooth and two wire haired dachshunds now. They are superb family members keeping both the wife and me entertained. I don't know what I would do without them, and don't want to find out.
Glad you went ahead and got Justice.

ostrobothnian
January 04, 2010, 15:31
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/SANY0142.jpg

big44man
January 05, 2010, 20:04
Everyone needs two pets:
A dog to adore you
A cat to ignore you

Stoney
January 05, 2010, 22:55
Fry
Do you still have the white boxer?

fry
January 06, 2010, 18:53
the Hogan Doagie is resting now. he resides deep, under the apple tree in the front yard.

fry
January 06, 2010, 21:48
after thinking about the Hoganator, its been a year this Jan.