PDA

View Full Version : 2006 MRE's Safe?

DABTL
October 11, 2009, 15:14
I have a couple of cases of MRE's made in 2006. They have been in the garage for all the time.

Safe to eat?

W.E.G.
October 11, 2009, 15:17
Hell yeah.

Pretty much anything you want to know about MRE's at http://mreinfo.com/

W.E.G.
October 11, 2009, 15:20
I guess I should ask how hot it gets in "the garage" in Texas.

If the temps in the garage get over 90, you probably want to inspect.

martin35
October 11, 2009, 15:45
We ate rations from WWII all through the Korean war and beyond, they cooked up a mess of it and were still serving it to the Marine Mess when I got out. They were stored in Uncle Sam's garage.

douglas
October 11, 2009, 21:06
W.E.G. ,
Thanks for the link.

ggiilliiee
October 11, 2009, 21:24
MRE'S NEVER DIE.....not puttin any bets on yer colon though ...hehe :wink:

GOVT1911
October 11, 2009, 22:03
As long as they don't smell "off", I'd say go ahead. Even if the main entree has gone bad there will still be alot of good stuff left.

2006 isn't that old. I've got several cases of much older MREs at home. A few have had the main entree not smell "right", so I didn't eat it. Most had no problems. I've eaten MREs that were 20 yrs old with no problem, just remember your nose is your friend.

Tuscan Raider
October 12, 2009, 09:50
They should have stool softeners in MRE's. :eek: :wink:

indy_Muaddib
October 12, 2009, 11:13
i have C rats and MCIs in storage. the old ones with cigarettes in them.

stopped making those in 72

still taste good.

W.E.G.
October 12, 2009, 11:15
Originally posted by Tuscan Raider
They should have stool softeners in MRE's. :eek: :wink:

I take it you haven't tried the chewing gum. :eek:

dirtyrice
October 12, 2009, 11:21
Regular shelf life for military issue mre's is supposed to be ten years. I know i've eaten ones that were atleast that old and I was fine. I think advice of smelling it before eating it is a good idea. Anything with fruit in it is probably bleh. Also any of the candy might be bad. All else fails if they're ruined I just salvage the little packets of stuff and the heaters out of them. Luckily I've never eaten mre's on a constant enough basis to affect my "stool". :wink:

Sand Pirate
October 12, 2009, 12:35
Originally posted by DABTL
I have a couple of cases of MRE's made in 2006. They have been in the garage for all the time.

Safe to eat?

Yes sir, safe to eat.

If possible, you might want to move them indoors. Like the chart found at the link above shows, they'll last a lot longer if you keep them cooler.

I store mine in an indoor closet. I have some from my first LP/OP with the Border Patrol in 1994......still good except for the candies.

Story
October 12, 2009, 15:51
I've got a box of the CHOCOLATE BROWN bagged, 1st generation MREs (remember Pork Patties?) if anyone's really brave.

Will trade for L1A1 mags. :D

[486]
October 12, 2009, 17:23
Originally posted by Story
I've got a box of the CHOCOLATE BROWN bagged, 1st generation MREs (remember Pork Patties?) if anyone's really brave.

Those are old? Got 10 or so cases here, they taste fine...:D

Topbanana
October 12, 2009, 17:31
Ate the Ham and Egg omelet made in 1991 in the summer of 2006. It was safe to eat, but the M&M's were getting granulated.

We also ate a ribs A Rat made in 1987 last spring. Still edible...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6909/pict2737.jpg

DABTL
October 12, 2009, 19:03
Siggie brought me a B case today made in 2009. I think I will try it first if I have to use MREs.

To be truthful, I would rather make Pozole Blanco from scratch.

ThunderGod
October 13, 2009, 11:31
I've still got some Gen1 MREs laying around, as well. The peanut butter and fortified cheese spread only lasted about 10 years, but the rest of the stuff was/is still fairly good. Cookies last well, but the brownies don't keep their flavor; still edible, though. The dried fruit also lasted a good while. Last case I bought was pre-Y2K panic; I refuse to pay more than $35 for a surplus case. Never tried the commercial stuff. Guess it's time to check some more packets. Some of it is over 20 years old, by now.:eek:

ThunderGod
October 13, 2009, 11:35
Originally posted by indy_Muaddib
i have C rats and MCIs in storage. the old ones with cigarettes in them.

stopped making those in 72

still taste good.

Reminds me of when I was a kid shopping at the Army Surplus store. They had crates of c-rat pound cakes and orange nut rolls. Mmmm...

owlcreekok
October 13, 2009, 12:19

Rick
October 13, 2009, 17:44
Heck ya thery're still good! Reminds of the time in grade school, early 60's. My friend Bubba Phillips came back from lunch (we went home for lunch). He said his mom fixed up a can of 25 year old stew. My impression was it was from WW2. He was fine, no compalints.

StG58Freak
October 13, 2009, 18:11
As long as they have been stored correctly and you haven't poked any holes in them you're good to go. Break out the Tabasco and chow down.:beer:
This thread reminded me i have some MRE's that need ate up. I can't wait to break out the Chicken ala King, Tabasco and a cold Brew.

Mason
October 13, 2009, 18:38
Dude, I've eaten some old ass MREs. Like mid-90s. And the chewing gum is supposed to be a stool softener/laxative if swallowed after chewing.

Sailor553
October 13, 2009, 18:54
C-rats, circa 1947. Probably the crap that Martin passed on too. I still won't touch a lima bean to this very day.

Manedwolf
October 13, 2009, 20:55
Peanut butter was recalled.

ggiilliiee
October 13, 2009, 21:06
what ya want ta do is heat up a copper wire with a torch to red hot ....stick it in the MRE ...if it squeels and jumps away ,dont eat it ..:wink:

i want a squad pack of "apples in butter sauce" and a spoon ..

Firestarter
October 13, 2009, 21:57
Originally posted by DABTL
Siggie brought me a B case today made in 2009. I think I will try it first if I have to use MREs.

Bill,

Peanut butter is not the only recalled item to be careful of. There are dairy shakes to avoid as well. From different lots from 2002 to present.

Here is a recall list of the dairy shake products. Can't have your ass getting sick on me. alant is still too thin skinned to properly engage in battle. :wink:

Anyhow...from another forum concerning the dairy shake stuff. It goes over different lots over several years.

There has been a Class 1 Recall on Diary Shakes that are a component of MREs, UGR and TOTEM products.

The ALFOODACT from Defense Supply Center Philadelphia is attached. All Diary Shakes in the Operational Rations need to be discarded due to being potentially adulterated with Salmonella sp. The remainder of the product is consumable.

The Alfoodact contains specific ration information that users need to identify the products with the bad Dairy Shakes.

MRES:
MEALS, READY-TO-EAT, INDIVIDUAL (MRE):
Ameriqual Packaging, Evansville, IN 47710.
NSN 8970-00-149-1049.
Meals, Ready-to-Eat, Individual.
All Contract Numbers.

SOPAKO Packaging, Mullins, SC 29574-1047.
NSN 8970-00-149-1049.
All Contract Numbers.

The Wornick Company, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
NSN 8970-00-149-1049.
All Contract Numbers.

The following cases of MRES with Date of Packaging (DOP) may contain the Diary Shake Powder:
-- Jan 2008 -- present (DOP 8001- current), menus 1, 9, 21, and 22.
-- May 2006 -- Dec 2007 (DOP 6121 - 7365), menus 1, 9, 10, and 22.
-- May 2005 -- Apr 2006 (DOP 5121 - 6120), menus 1, 9, 21, and 22.
-- Oct 2002 -- May 2005 (DOP 2274 - 5151), menus 1, 9, 20, and 22.

TOTEMS:
EAL, TAILORED, OPERATIONAL TRAINING (TOTM):

The Wornick Company, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
LSN 8970-01-E10-0239.
Meal, Tailored, Operational Training.
Dates of pack (DOP)/lot numbers: 7138 and 8305.
No other assembler or DOP/lot codes are affected.

Topbanana
October 13, 2009, 22:32
Man, the strawberry dairyshake is the SHIZNITE!

I love those things!

Story
October 13, 2009, 23:31
Originally posted by [486]

Those are old? Got 10 or so cases here, they taste fine...:D

Y'all are nutz - I wouldn't eat them the first time around, when they were bouncing around in the back of the deuce. "Pork Patties" http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/basic/smileyvault-puke.gif

Seriously, these have GOT to be first generation.
http://www.qmfound.com/mre_tration.htm

grubbyeddie
October 14, 2009, 04:14
Originally posted by StG58Freak
As long as they have been stored correctly and you haven't poked any holes in them you're good to go. Break out the Tabasco and chow down.:beer:
This thread reminded me i have some MRE's that need ate up. I can't wait to break out the Chicken ala King, Tabasco and a cold Brew.

Man I LOVED the Chicken ala King! That with a little tobasco is foxhole heaven. I was lucky enough to get stuck with a ranger buddy at ABGD who loved the omelette and hated the Chicken ala King. I always scored a trade off that cat when I could.;)

[486]
October 14, 2009, 14:56
Originally posted by Story
"Pork Patties"

Weren't those the ones that were like spam?

Those were great, better than spam by far!

ThunderGod
October 14, 2009, 16:51
Originally posted by [486]

Weren't those the ones that were like spam?

Those were great, better than spam by far!

I think they're referring to the the freeze-dried pork-burgers that crackled when you re-hydrated them. The ones you weren't supposed to eat before flying, because they would swell in your guts.:uhoh:

Sig220
October 14, 2009, 18:38
Originally posted by Manedwolf
Peanut butter was recalled.

Any sources on this?? I knew about the shakes, but I never drank them anyway, but the peanut butter???

owlcreekok
October 14, 2009, 19:14
Originally posted by Sig220

Any sources on this?? I knew about the shakes, but I never drank them anyway, but the peanut butter???

I had a case of the gallopin trots from the shakes before. Had one last weekend and no squirts. Had peanut butter tanight (again) .

Also wolfed a beef ravioli, wheat snack bread with bacon flavored chees goo.

All marked 2006.

:uhoh:

English Mike
October 14, 2009, 19:59
I miss the Cheese Possessed from our rat packs - that, the chicken curry & the fruit cake in a tin.

MREs are OK but mostly bland.

Sig220
October 14, 2009, 20:00
Yeah, I have eaten a ton of the peanut butter from 2008 MRE's, never a problem, I also used it to bait a rat trap at the deer lease.......(sorry Hot Rats)

Manedwolf
October 14, 2009, 21:39
Originally posted by Sig220

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/sopakco-sure-pak-12-mre-recall.html

Sig220
October 14, 2009, 22:12
Originally posted by Manedwolf

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/sopakco-sure-pak-12-mre-recall.html

Okay........just to recap, the recall is on the retail version of the MRE, not the military version. Looks like the big difference is the packaging. The recalled version is white and clear packaging, the military is olive drab green.

Thanks for the info Manedwolf, as I just brought several cases to use on our elk hunt, did not want to make anyone sick!!!!

ThunderGod
October 14, 2009, 22:25
The problem I had with the PB was that it separated into oil and PB 'mud.'

Had to knead the packet for several minutes to remix it. After too many years, it wasn't worth the try. Funny thing; the crackers were fresh long past the spread.

I thought MREs were irradiated after packaging. How can there be Salmonella issues?